PDA

View Full Version : some nursing jobs removed from job shortage list

joebloggs
7th February 2008, 03:03
gov tightens immigration on jobs again

some nursing jobs have been removed from the job shortage list, meaning that uk and european nurses will be considered first for the job.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/shortageoccupationchange

also for foreign doctors

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3321919.ece

dark days for non euro workers

RHB
7th February 2008, 04:16
I was reading another thread about the 18 moth practical nursing in the Philippines, suggesting that the graduates of said program would do better as a kind of super care giver. We are sending a young girl to a two year AMA program, (my wifes daughter) with the idea of getting her the caregiver certification after this. The nursing demand seems to be leveling off in the U.S. also, with immigration regulations tightening in many countries. Caregivers stand a better chance of getting work, and with a practical nursing degree may advantage themselves. At least that's the idea.

It looks like the UK will still seek critical care floor nurses from Asia.

In Dumaguete we have several Universities at least 7, pumping out graduates in education and nursing fields. The competition is enourmous, and I think most of them from the provinces don't have a fair chance of qualifying to go abroad. The tests are just too rigorous for many of them.

joebloggs
7th February 2008, 12:18
yes your right,

i'm paying for my wifes cousin to do a nursing degree in san pedro, i don't think he will ever work outside of the philippines thou.

america is swamped with foreign docs to, there are little chances of non european doctors getting training in the uk now or even a job.

caregiver does look the only way but there is a points based system starting for workpermits sometimes this year, and it could be more difficult to get a workpermit..

familylawyer
26th February 2008, 08:32
I have a cousin who just finished a degree of nursing, is she qualified to apply as a practical nurse without taking again the 18th month course?

RHB
26th February 2008, 09:41
up to you, it depends what she wants to do and where she wants to apply. but the way we look at it is a caregiver with a two year nursing degree has an advantage.