PDA

View Full Version : Music in the Philippines - A few questions

Paul_London
6th February 2008, 15:01
Just looking for a few views on the music in the Philippines as this is quite a big passion of mine.

From what I've gathered corresponding with some Filipinos, it seems among younger people especially there is a real taste for for American RnB, Rap and Hip Hop? Would people agree that is about right?

Now I don't mind any of those genres (Except perhaps contemporary RnB) but a lot of the new stuff from the US is a bit rubbish, in my book. Are any British acts well known in this respect? Like M.I.A or Just Jack? Or even old style hip hop acts like Public Enemy?

I must say though that I'm mainly a fan of classic 70s and 80s British Alternative Rock, Punk and Ska. I'm talking Morrissey/The Smiths, Pulp/Jarvis Cocker, Suede, Stone Roses, Manic Street Preachers, Sex Pistols and Madness. And also I suppose I'm fan of some of the early Britpop stuff but I regard that whole era as highly overrated.

So that said, I was rather encouraged a few days back to find about this Flipino rock act - Orange and Lemons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_and_Lemons who are described as being influenced by The Smiths, The Cure and The Beatles! Which is a rather brilliant combination, I think. For those who've never heard of them, you can hear some of their songs on these YouTube videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LLiGqQ0SNUI
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPYb0stsCw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RgR8qVs42No
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QeCNkLZVRsk

I don't know any Tagalog so I can't understand the lyrics to a lot of the songs but they do have a great sound. They'd put many generic British Indie bands to shame.

This got me wondering though: how popular are classic British rock acts like The Smiths over there? Is there enough popularity to describe them as cult acts? Are there many other popular groups like Orange and Lemons in the Philippines and or fans of rock music in general? It would great to catch some of these homegrown acts while I'm out there.

joebloggs
6th February 2008, 15:16
only thing you ever hear in taxi's in the philippines is westlife :D:cwm24:

Paul_London
6th February 2008, 15:51
only thing you ever hear in taxi's in the philippines is westlife :D:cwm24:

Good grief! :yikes: If they were playing at the end of my garden, I'd close the curtains!

mhynne
6th February 2008, 16:39
if you ask someone walking down the street about the smiths chances are they might not know who they are...
but if you ask someone who is really into music they would...
sadly, music in the phils is really more influenced by the US rather than the british.. (most house club music though come from the brits) but we do get some of the bands you mentioned.. but not all filipinos know them at heart.. hard core music lovers would definitely do...
this might be the radio station you wanna hook up when you get to manila

http://www.nu107fm.com/

joebloggs
6th February 2008, 16:49
it get's worse, i had togo with the misses to the gmex in manchester to watch them :cwm24:

b4 anyone says i wanted to, i DIDN'T :cwm23:, she would never have found the place or got back if i didn't go with her.. no sense of direction :doh

Paul_London
14th February 2008, 02:06
if you ask someone walking down the street about the smiths chances are they might not know who they are...
but if you ask someone who is really into music they would...
sadly, music in the phils is really more influenced by the US rather than the british.. (most house club music though come from the brits) but we do get some of the bands you mentioned.. but not all filipinos know them at heart.. hard core music lovers would definitely do...
this might be the radio station you wanna hook up when you get to manila

http://www.nu107fm.com/

Thanks for the link. Just had a quick listen and it's certainly my sort of station.

fred
14th February 2008, 05:02
The only music that I ever hear comes from those damned Karaoke machines.
trust me.. Filipinos cant sing.
Drunk ones are even worse!

PeterB
15th February 2008, 17:38
The problem, of course, is that all the Karaoke machines (including the 'Magic Sing', which Ruby received as a Christmas pressie) give a score for 'performance'. Now, as far as I can determine, the score is based entirely upon timing - it takes no account of pitch, tone, or any other musical quality. So, when Filipinos perform Karaoke, and are scored at 99, or even 100%, they all think that they are brilliant singers. The fact that they are tone-deaf, with a voice like a frog's, doesn't deter them one little bit!

andypaul
15th February 2008, 23:18
Was in tower records afew years back in markati and they had a whole area full of dance and mainstream rock music and what have you most of it was British groups, singers or producers.
I think a lot of the US link is due to the strong links with the US but many can't tell the difference between yanks and brits.

I know my missus and her friends and younger family are amazed how much of what they watch and listen to is British they just presumed they are all Joes (yanks)
Seen loads of rock bands in venues up in makati and around manila when out with the missus and her maties. But we mainly went to house and trance nights. Most of the bands do covers some very very good.

Gotta say at Family videoake nights im amazed how phills who speak hardly a word of english can sing beatles mimicing so well that wonderful breed the scouser

One of the manila stations my missus used to play, in the evenings used to play a lot of 80's music including some fo the bands you mention. By day they play more contempoary music and you guessed it mostly rnb.

RHB
28th February 2008, 11:18
Okay here is the music scene in southern Visayas, read: all of the provincial Philippines.
Brittish music , please not since 1970...:bigcry:
american music, only the worst examples ,hip hop with obscene lyrics, and every old diva from Whitney houston to Mariah Carey.
Filipino boy bands and suedo divas proliferate the contemporary scene.
discos here don't even play good house and trance, (unlike Cebu or Manila), but everything must have a lyric, top 40 crap with a disco beat. Pussycat dolls et al, some brit stuff included in this Genre.
young "hip" listen to old alternative as in creed, red hot chili pepers etc.,

They do like reggae and ska here, and there are a few decent bands with original material.

Blues, jazz, classic rock, heavy metal forget it.

My background? anglophile of british blues and rock in the 60-70's
a drummer of that era, we jam here once in a while, problem is all us musician expats come from different genres and generations. Makes it interesting:Cuckoo:

Mrs.JMajor
28th February 2008, 12:40
The only music that I ever hear comes from those damned Karaoke machines.
trust me.. Filipinos cant sing.
Drunk ones are even worse!

i dis agree :cwm3:,maybe u don't have nice voice neighbors around you,come here i will let my daughter sing just for you so u know that Filipino can sing :rolleyes:

Philip
28th February 2008, 18:17
There's some great pinoy bands! I wish I'd went to see some play whilst I was over there, next time hopefully.

I didn't appreciate the band that played constantly in some bar near the back of the lotus gardens hotel in ermita though, I had many sleepless nights cos of them and their dreadful singer!!!

I bought a couple of cd's by the band Sandwhich and the acoustic pop orientated MYMP. I haven't really listened to them properly, but Tonet sometimes plays the MYMP CD, good musicans and the singer has a real nice voice.

Everywhere I went I got called Paul McArtney, even at the damn airport when I was leaving! :icon_lol:

mhynne
28th February 2008, 18:23
I love Sandwich!!! Lead singer raymund is the best!
oohhh i miss the band scene in manila...

Philip
28th February 2008, 19:01
The problem, of course, is that all the Karaoke machines (including the 'Magic Sing', which Ruby received as a Christmas pressie) give a score for 'performance'. Now, as far as I can determine, the score is based entirely upon timing - it takes no account of pitch, tone, or any other musical quality. So, when Filipinos perform Karaoke, and are scored at 99, or even 100%, they all think that they are brilliant singers. The fact that they are tone-deaf, with a voice like a frog's, doesn't deter them one little bit!

Going for mr popular here huh!? :icon_lol:

My wife is not amused!!! :NoNo::censored:

joebloggs
29th February 2008, 02:13
maybe their not the one who is tone deaf :Erm: :xxparty-smiley-004:

some very famous filipina singers myleene, klass :Hellooo:, Mutya Buena ex sugarbabe :NoNo:, the lead singer out of pussycat dolls :xxgrinning--00xx3:

also there is usually always a filipino who gets thru to the final stages in american idol

tomm
29th February 2008, 02:26
maybe their not the one who is tone deaf :Erm: :xxparty-smiley-004:

some very famous filipina singers myleene, klass :Hellooo:, Mutya Buena ex sugarbabe :NoNo:, the lead singer out of pussycat dolls :xxgrinning--00xx3:

also there is usually always a filipino who gets thru to the final stages in american idol

Hate to be a smart ass... but Myleene Klass is English, born and bred just down the road from me. Her mother is a filipino tho. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What about Claire de la Fuente. Saw her in the Mall of Asia singing 'Something in your eyes'. Good but wasn't up to the Dusty original. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
29th February 2008, 02:41
Hate to be a smart ass... but Myleene Klass is English, born and bred just down the road from me. Her mother is a filipino tho. :xxgrinning--00xx3

hate to be a smart :butthead: back, but what a great english name 'klass' :icon_lol:

yes but her dad is Austrian :yikes:...

so no english blood in her, so what does that make her :Erm: