PDA

View Full Version : Mama wants to come and work here

Stereotongue
10th March 2006, 21:54
Hey Everybody :BouncyHappy:

My mother in law wants to come and work here in the UK for a few years (maybe as a live in nanny/housekeeper etc). My wife really misses her a lot and I'd love her to be here also. Basically my question is - how do I go about this ? My wife has spoken to some of her friends who have their parents here working but the stories she tells me seem to be of the Philippine variety and sound like something has been done 'under the table' at some point, and I have done enough of these deals already to know it's more grief than they are worth !!

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

Andrew

Eljohno
10th March 2006, 22:18
Originally posted by Stereotongue@Mar 10 2006, 08:54 PM
Hey Everybody :BouncyHappy:

My mother in law wants to come and work here in the UK for a few years (maybe as a live in nanny/housekeeper etc). My wife really misses her a lot and I'd love her to be here also. Basically my question is - how do I go about this ? My wife has spoken to some of her friends who have their parents here working but the stories she tells me seem to be of the Philippine variety and sound like something has been done 'under the table' at some point, and I have done enough of these deals already to know it's more grief than they are worth !!

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

Andrew

Quoted post

Andrew the best advice i can give you is speak to Pauldo as he has just recently brought his mother in law over here to the uk......

Stereotongue
10th March 2006, 23:17
Great - I'll go hunt Pauldo down then !!!

Salamat po

Andrew

ginapeterb
12th March 2006, 18:01
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stereotongue &#064; Mar 10 2006, 10&#58;17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great - I&#39;ll go hunt Pauldo down then &#33;&#33;&#33;
Salamat po

Andrew
[/b][/quote]

Pauldo is your man for this thread.

Pete

Pauldo
13th March 2006, 02:23
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginapeterb &#064; Mar 12 2006, 05&#58;01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Pauldo is your man for this thread.
Pete
[/b][/quote]
Hi all, Pauldo here style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif

To tell the truth all we got for the mum in law was just a basic settlement visa, much like you would get for a wife. The paperwork was almost identical except for the supporting letter really. My wife was the &#39;sponsor&#39; and had to prove we could support her and we had a place for her to stay and money enough.

The deal was that she had to have a good reason to come live here. She has no income or support in the PI, no business or property there, she is single, plus she is old and feeble, so it was really a case of her coming here for us to support her and look after her. &#39;Extreme compassionate circumstances&#39; I believe they call it on the web site, so if she&#39;d been a woman of means she would most probably not have got the visa. She was also only 63, where as parents are supposed to be 65 or older to qualify under those conditions. I think a few delicately placed tears persuaded the interviewer.

Her application was sent in last September, an interview was required, which she did about six weeks later, and she got the visa stamped that same day. I went over and got her in the shortest ever visit to the PI, in January. Four days &#39;in country&#39;, then back to the UK.

Let me know if there&#39;s any more info you need.

Stereotongue
19th March 2006, 14:03
Thanks for that Pauldo,
but as you say the cicumstances of your situation are very different from what we are trying to do. I guess I need to dig a few more holes huh.

Cheers
Andrew