PDA

View Full Version : Applying for Resident's Visa while in Phils?

PeterB
5th February 2008, 15:00
I have visited the Bureau of Immigration in Davao in order to extend the stay on my Visitor's Visa.

While there, we enquired about the process of applying for a 'Non-quota Immigrant by Marriage' Visa. Most of the process seems to be okay, but two things concern me, and I wondered whether anyone on the forum could offer advice.

One is that I require a 'Police Clearance' from country of origin. I wouldn't know how to go about obtaining this even if I was in the UK, but how can I obtain such a document while in Phils?

The other worry is that the guidance notes state that 'Documents executed outside of the Philippines must be authenticated by officials of the Philippine Foreign Service at its place of execution, or nearest it.' This suggests to me that documents such as my UK divorce certificate have to be authenticated by the Philippine embassy in London.

It seems that I may have to schedule an early visit back to UK in order to progress my application, or does anyone know of a better way?

baboyako
5th February 2008, 15:11
I think the police clearance is this

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/faq.htm

I knew someone who got it done for obtaining a hong kong permit. not sure about the other one :Erm:

LadyJ
5th February 2008, 17:14
The other worry is that the guidance notes state that 'Documents executed outside of the Philippines must be authenticated by officials of the Philippine Foreign Service at its place of execution, or nearest it.' This suggests to me that documents such as my UK divorce certificate have to be authenticated by the Philippine embassy in London.

It seems that I may have to schedule an early visit back to UK in order to progress my application, or does anyone know of a better way?

I don't know much about your other query but this bit I know...

the requirement for

Legalization of Documents for use in the PhilippinesPerson/s applying for notarization/authentication of documents may do it in person or by post.

A. In Person

The applicant must appear before a consular official and affix his/her signature on the document. The applicant must bring: (a) valid Philippine passport and a clear photocopy of its data page; and (b) notarial fee of GBP 18.00.

B. By Post

All public documents sent by post to the Philippine Embassy that will be used in the Philippines must be notarized by a notary public or a commissioner of oath. The signature of the notary public/commissioner of oath must be authenticated by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs or the Icelandic Department of Foreign Affairs (as the case applies).

The applicant must also enclose the following requirements when sending the document to the Philippine Embassy for legalization: (a) a clear photocopy of the data page of the applicant’s valid passport; (b) notarial fee of GBP 18.00 payable to the Philippine Embassy either in British postal money order or bank draft (personal cheques are not accepted); and (c) a registered self-addressed envelope.

Before you do the step A or B, you must legalise your documents from FCO -Foreign Commonwealth Office

visit http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029391440

charlwill
5th February 2008, 18:34
Hi, Peter. I think the easiest way to apply a Non-Qouta Visa is in the Phippine Consulate here in London. That was the adivce of Phils. Immigration when I inquire before and yes, it was proven true. It's very easy to apply here compared there in the Phils. you can encounter alot of hussles.

PeterB
6th February 2008, 16:08
Thanks for the reply, LadyJ. However, I sense that your comments relate to filipino nationals. I'm a UK citizen who has come to Phils on a visitor's visa, marrying here later this month, and intending to settle here permanently (I've sold all my possessions in UK (cars, house, etc), or shipped them to Phils. With Ruby, I have bought car, houses and other property here.

Charlwill, thanks for that advice ... but it wasn't what I wanted to hear! I know that if I have to return to UK, Ruby will want to come with me, and her UK visa has expired - so we will have to start with a visit to the UK embassy in Manila again!

One of the staff at the Davao Bureau of Immigration has said he will help us - but I suspect that will involve making significant 'honorarium' payments! I think I need to return and ask him some more specific questions.

LadyJ
6th February 2008, 17:18
One of the staff at the Davao Bureau of Immigration has said he will help us - but I suspect that will involve making significant 'honorarium' payments! I think I need to return and ask him some more specific questions.

He will help you to what? just a bit of advise, be wise to these people because they might ask you loads of money before they will do your favor.

If just applying visa for your partner, after your marriage, she can get a Indefinite visa after 4 years you both been living together outside UK or If you both plan to visit UK in like one or a couple of years time, she might easily get a visitor or spouse visa as long you have all the supporting documents for her.

Also don't forget to learn the information incase you have your child born in Philippines soon:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Enjoy living in a sunny hot Philippines:xxgrinning--00xx3: And advance Congrats to your wedding:Hellooo:

joebloggs
6th February 2008, 17:45
If just applying visa for your partner, after your marriage, she can get a Indefinite visa after 4 years you both been living together outside UK or If you both plan to visit UK in like one or a couple of years time, she might easily get a visitor or spouse visa as long you have all the supporting documents for her.

If you have been together for four years or more outside the UK and you have passed the Life in the UK test, you are eligible for indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) in the UK without having to live in the UK for two years. and i think if you live outside the uk for more than 2 years, you will loose your ILR, its not a visitor visa, the uk is suppose to be your permenant home

PeterB
12th April 2008, 14:00
Well, with the wedding now a memory, recorded in photos and videos, we have been concentrating on my visa application. The advice I received from the BI official was to make an affidavit to cover each area in which my application fell short of the guideline requirements.

My application has now been accepted at BI, Ruby and I have attended for 'interview' with the legal officer and there is just one outstanding issue. That is that the marriage certificate issued by LCR is not accepted by BI .. it has to be a certificate issued by NSO. However, NSO can only issue a certificate once the details of our wedding are entered on their computer (this normally takes 6 months to one year!) We have now applied for 'electronic endorsement', but even this will still take one month. The latest advice from BI is to apply to NSO for a certificate of un-processed marriage certificate. This we will do on Monday.

The application will be forwarded to Manila on Tuesday, and I will then have to wait about three months to hear the decision.

Oh, one other little headache ... I obtained the application form and guidelines on February 20th. When I submitted the application on April 4. I was told that the form and requirements were altered on March 1!!! After having had everything notarized by my own attorney in Tagum, we ended up looking for an attorney in Davao to notarize the new forms.

PeterB
8th August 2008, 14:41
The application will be forwarded to Manila on Tuesday, and I will then have to wait about three months to hear the decision.

Well, that was almost four months ago. I visited BI in Davao again this week. I gather that most recent applications have come back within two to four weeks, but there seems to be a batch which have got 'stuck' in Manila, mine amongst them. The young lady who has taken on the responsibility in Davao BI has promised to chase up for me, and to update me next week.

Welsh_Italian
10th August 2008, 20:12
Well, that was almost four months ago. I visited BI in Davao again this week. I gather that most recent applications have come back within two to four weeks, but there seems to be a batch which have got 'stuck' in Manila, mine amongst them. The young lady who has taken on the responsibility in Davao BI has promised to chase up for me, and to update me next week.

Being in Laguna, I got mine from the BI office in Manila and it was much faster. I applied in early March (3rd I think) and was granted the s13A in April. I heard that the provinces are much slower about this because they have to post everything around. Travelling over to Manila isn't really an option for a lot of people because it might require several trips. For example, when I applied for the s13A, my wife and I got all our documents together quickly and paid the fee and were told that our interview was 3 days later. Living near Manila made it no problem, but if you had come from Mindanao, it could be as you would need either a hotel or a new set of flights. It's probably cheaper and less hassle (though slower) for you just to keep extending the tourist visa and wait.

PeterB
11th August 2008, 16:42
Cheaper? Maybe, but it costs 3 or 4 thousand pesos every two months to extend. Perhaps I'll just try texting Melody, at Davao BI, on a daily basis until I get a result.

telford
12th August 2008, 05:58
Cheaper? Maybe, but it costs 3 or 4 thousand pesos every two months to extend. Perhaps I'll just try texting Melody, at Davao BI, on a daily basis until I get a result.

its not 3-4 thousand pesos,its only 2thousand plus every 2 months. my husband is staying here 18 months now.he's only paying after a year of staying here coz the immigration in the aiport stamp his passport 1yr free stay here since he is married with me.

PeterB
12th August 2008, 10:14
Well, Ruby and I only married after we arrived in Phils December 2007 - I wish I had that magic stamp!

In January I paid P3,790, in February it was P1,820, in April it was P2,830, in June it was P4,240.

IainBusby
12th August 2008, 12:09
Well, Ruby and I only married after we arrived in Phils December 2007 - I wish I had that magic stamp!

In January I paid P3,790, in February it was P1,820, in April it was P2,830, in June it was P4,240. :Erm:

It looks like when a kano comes through the door, they just make it up as they go along and charge whatever they think they'll get away with.
Iain.

PeterB
12th August 2008, 16:28
Perhaps, but I do get official receipts. The initial fee was higher because it included "ACR Fee", "Head Tax" and "EDC Fee", which were not charged on subsequent extensions.

The rise between February and April is in line with a large public notice which states that the Express Lane Fee has increased from P500 to P1000, the Legal Research Fee has increased from P20 to P30 and there is a new Certification Fee (BI Clearance) being added.

In June, there was an additional charge (CRTV - P1,400), because the duration of visit had passed 6 months. Also, the Legal Research Fee had risen by another P10.