PDA

View Full Version : British TV Documentary

hedieh
6th March 2006, 18:35
Hi

I'm at the early stages of research for a Channel 4 documentary (British TV) about foreign marriages. We're looking to make a film about UK men who have found or are finding wives abroad. This could be for a number of reasons i.e. they like a different culture, they’re sick of UK women or they’re simply looking for a new experience.

I understand that a lot of you will already be sceptical about this and about my motivations. There's not a lot I can do about this but what I can do is tell you why we want to make this film. There are thousands of foreign women now living in the UK, people who have made it their home, who have married UK men and are having UK families. They are very much part of our fabric yet remain somewhat of a silent presence.

We're particularly keen to give a voice to these women. Women who have left one culture for another. We want this to be a film about their lives made by them. I, and Channel 4, feel very passionately that as the world becomes smaller and people are meeting partners over the internet as a matter of course, certain stereotypes are thoroughly outdated.

I'm looking for cases of women just about to come to the UK or are just about to be married. But cases of couples now living together in the UK are also of interest.

At this stage I'm simply trying to find out as much as I can. Sorry if this isn't for you, but if you want to chat and help me understand things further it'll be off the record and in confidence. Also, if there's anyone you can think off that may be helpful I'd love it if you could pass them my details.

Many thanks for your time.

Hedieh

Researcher
Betty TV (on behalf of Channel 4)
The Heals Building
8 Alfred Mews
London
W1T 7AA
Tel: +44(0)20 7907 0892
Email: hedieh@bettytv.co.uk

Admin
6th March 2006, 21:19
....they’re sick of UK women....
Make a sentence......."on head nail the" :rolleyes:

Pauldo
7th March 2006, 05:01
I never actually chose to marry a foreign woman. Never went overseas to meet a girl. My life was full enough just trying to survive in that festering West African jungle. Twelve years fighting somebody else’s war, always somebody else’s war.

The pay was good, yeah, but hell, I was tired of being shot at. African wars are always dirty, and sick, too much money, too little time. I'd done my last stint in a stinking bush hospital, three to the chest, nearly three too many, now I was out of it for good. I'd found a place to hole up and lay low for a while. I had money, loads of money, I'd be good for a while. Just a bottle of Jacks and a dame, and I'd be good.

I'd woken in some sleazy back street short time bar, stinking of cigarettes and cheap whisky. Hell, I could hardly remember what country I was in, there had been so many, far too many, running, always running. This was the Philippines, like no other country, but like too many, seedy, ripe, a man in need could find anything he wanted, if he had the means to pay or bargain for it.

It was early, too early, I wasn't yet hung-over, but I should have been. Hell yeah. The fan turned lazily overhead, just enough to move the heavy air in the room, sweet smelling smoke, the dregs of last nights opium party. Last night? Oh man, I remembered it like a dream, what had I told the girl, some story of romance and wanting to settle down. Ha, she'd be lucky.

I opened my eyes, painfully. My head was fuzzy, wired still, tired, but running hot. Too many 'ludes, again. She was laying there, watching me, with a cold look on her beautiful heart shaped Asian face. My empty wallet swinging between her fingers, lifeless. I couldn't pay her, she knew it, I knew she knew it. There was no way out this time. Downstairs Guido would be polishing his chrome plated pump action, always polishing that darn thing, just staring and polishing. He'd cut me in half if I made a run for it. For what? A few hundred dollars unpaid bar bill. I’d done it again, but this time I was too old to be running away. It had to stop, now.

I knew the answer. I'd reached rock bottom, there was nowhere else to go, nowhere was any lower than this place. Most losers found god when they got to this stage, hell, there was nothing else this far down the sewer. Not for me, there was still life in this old wreck, this old carcass of a yesterdays hero. All I could do was sign on the dotted line, sigh my life away, tie the knot. I'd be off the hook, the broad would be happy, Guido would be happy, we'd all be happy, just so happy.....

And now, ten years later, we're living in the Midlands, with a nice little house, and a four year old daughter :-)

:Hellooo: :Hellooo: :rolleyes: :action-smiley-075: :66: :laugher:

Admin
7th March 2006, 13:28
Filipino: Loyal cultural beautiful women who no right from wrong, show respect, and understand their place in life.

English: Lazy slappers, who want everything for nothing, and if anything goes wrong, it is always someone elses fault!

Eljohno
7th March 2006, 13:34
Originally posted by admin@Mar 7 2006, 12:28 PM
Filipino: Loyal cultural beautiful women who no right from wrong, show respect, and understand their place in life.

English: Lazy slappers, who want everything for nothing, and if anything goes wrong, it is always someone elses fault!

Quoted post

Every society has good and bad people, Ireland is no different!!!

Admin
7th March 2006, 17:24
The Irish think a 'paddy field' is somewhere they grow the babies.... :peepwall:

Eljohno
7th March 2006, 18:11
Originally posted by admin@Mar 7 2006, 04:24 PM
The Irish think a 'paddy field' is somewhere they grow the babies.... :peepwall:

Quoted post

L.O.L

Plutus
8th March 2006, 01:00
Originally posted by admin@Mar 6 2006, 08:19 PM
Make a sentence......."on head nail the" :rolleyes:

Quoted post

As unkind as it might sound, have you noticed that the majority of men that marry foreign women are not exactly what one would call 'a catch'. Those that I have known have been in some way socially incompetent (that's not necessarily a bad thing) and out of tune with either their bodies, their male counterparts, social situations or a combination of each of these; a marked lack of confidence being the general trait.

Perhaps, the warmth and less judgmental reception received from the first woman - who just happens to be from warmer climes - is their perceived only chance at happiness. Who cares that her motivations might be less than honourable - a free pass to the UK, for example.

Having lived in a country where I have seen women treat white men (however ugly or depraved) as gods, it is not incredulous to witness the union of low self esteem.

I know that this is a sweeping generalisation and there are confident, handsome, high achievers who have found their life partners in a foreign land and have made successful marriages. I also understand why some men would point-blank refuse to entertain a relationship with a British woman.

My main point is that in analysing this subject, the onus should not be concentrated on the women. Perhaps, more focus should be directed at the men - in particular those that actively seek women abroad - and what drives them to foreign love.

Eljohno
8th March 2006, 01:04
Originally posted by Plutus@Mar 8 2006, 12:00 AM
As unkind as it might sound, have you noticed that the majority of men that marry foreign women are not exactly what one would call 'a catch'. Those that I have known have been in some way socially incompetent (that's not necessarily a bad thing) and out of tune with either their bodies, their male counterparts, social situations or a combination of each of these; a marked lack of confidence being the general trait.

Perhaps, the warmth and less judgmental reception received from the first woman - who just happens to be from warmer climes - is their perceived only chance at happiness. Who cares that her motivations might be less than honourable - a free pass to the UK, for example.

Having lived in a country where I have seen women treat white men (however ugly or depraved) as gods, it is not incredulous to witness the union of low self esteem.

I know that this is a sweeping generalisation and there are confident, handsome, high achievers who have found their life partners in a foreign land and have made successful marriages. I also understand why some men would point-blank refuse to entertain a relationship with a British woman.

My main point is that in analysing this subject, the onus should not be concentrated on the women. Perhaps, more focus should be directed at the men - in particular those that actively seek women abroad - and what drives them to foreign love.

Quoted post

I guess i am not one of the majority that you talk about!!!

Pauldo
8th March 2006, 05:13
Originally posted by Plutus@Mar 8 2006, 01:00 AM

Quoted post

I'll have to admit Pluto, I'm not really a wild and ruthless mercenary, a trained hardened killer, hands stained with the blood of a hundred deaths. That was just a joke. I'm really just a fat, balding old sales rep who couldn't get laid in the UK because of my speech impediment and chronic halitosis. I have no friends, have callouses on my right hand, and can't even speak to a white women without feeling giddy and nauseous.

Buying love in the $hit holes and short time bars of Subic Bay has been my only sexual release in decades. Who cares if they loves me, if I can get laid once a week that's love enough for me :wub: :wub: They're happy, I'm happy, who is going to psychoanalyze and say it's not right???

I'd love to star in a channel four documentaryabout losers and lust. I could show you all the best short time bars in Luzon. Joe Public needs to know that there is more to life than a Saturday night in the pub, a shag with the lights off and two weeks a year in Corfu. Life is not a rehearsal.
:laugher: :party-smiley-012: :vomit-smiley-011:

Pauldo
8th March 2006, 05:19
Originally posted by Plutus+Mar 8 2006, 01:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Plutus &#064; Mar 8 2006, 01:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Quoted post
[/b]

Come to think of it, I believe that is EXACTLY what Heideh is planning to do:

<!--QuoteBegin-hedieh@ Mar 6 2006

We&#39;re looking to make a film about UK men who have found or are finding wives abroad. This could be for a number of reasons i.e. they like a different culture, they’re sick of UK women or they’re simply looking for a new experience.

[/quote]

fred
8th March 2006, 16:26
Originally posted by Pauldo@Mar 7 2006, 04:01 AM
I never actually chose to marry a foreign woman. Never went overseas to meet a girl. My life was full enough just trying to survive in that festering West African jungle. Twelve years fighting somebody else’s war, always somebody else’s war.

The pay was good, yeah, but hell, I was tired of being shot at. African wars are always dirty, and sick, too much money, too little time. I&#39;d done my last stint in a stinking bush hospital, three to the chest, nearly three too many, now I was out of it for good. I&#39;d found a place to hole up and lay low for a while. I had money, loads of money, I&#39;d be good for a while. Just a bottle of Jacks and a dame, and I&#39;d be good.

I&#39;d woken in some sleazy back street short time bar, stinking of cigarettes and cheap whisky. Hell, I could hardly remember what country I was in, there had been so many, far too many, running, always running. This was the Philippines, like no other country, but like too many, seedy, ripe, a man in need could find anything he wanted, if he had the means to pay or bargain for it.

It was early, too early, I wasn&#39;t yet hung-over, but I should have been. Hell yeah. The fan turned lazily overhead, just enough to move the heavy air in the room, sweet smelling smoke, the dregs of last nights opium party. Last night? Oh man, I remembered it like a dream, what had I told the girl, some story of romance and wanting to settle down. Ha, she&#39;d be lucky.

I opened my eyes, painfully. My head was fuzzy, wired still, tired, but running hot. Too many &#39;ludes, again. She was laying there, watching me, with a cold look on her beautiful heart shaped Asian face. My empty wallet swinging between her fingers, lifeless. I couldn&#39;t pay her, she knew it, I knew she knew it. There was no way out this time. Downstairs Guido would be polishing his chrome plated pump action, always polishing that darn thing, just staring and polishing. He&#39;d cut me in half if I made a run for it. For what? A few hundred dollars unpaid bar bill. I’d done it again, but this time I was too old to be running away. It had to stop, now.

I knew the answer. I&#39;d reached rock bottom, there was nowhere else to go, nowhere was any lower than this place. Most losers found god when they got to this stage, hell, there was nothing else this far down the sewer. Not for me, there was still life in this old wreck, this old carcass of a yesterdays hero. All I could do was sign on the dotted line, sigh my life away, tie the knot. I&#39;d be off the hook, the broad would be happy, Guido would be happy, we&#39;d all be happy, just so happy.....
And now, ten years later, we&#39;re living in the Midlands, with a nice little house, and a four year old daughter :-)

:Hellooo: :Hellooo: :rolleyes: :action-smiley-075: :66: :laugher:

Quoted post

With writing talent like that, man you should be cranking out paperbacks. Best 3 paragraphs I read since Mickey Spillane..

Lets have a second instalment Pauldo&#33;&#33;

Plutus
11th March 2006, 22:29
:Erm:

Plutus
11th March 2006, 22:30
Originally posted by Pauldo@Mar 8 2006, 04:13 AM
I&#39;ll have to admit Pluto, I&#39;m not really a wild and ruthless mercenary, a trained hardened killer, hands stained with the blood of a hundred deaths. That was just a joke. I&#39;m really just a fat, balding old sales rep who couldn&#39;t get laid in the UK because of my speech impediment and chronic halitosis. I have no friends, have callouses on my right hand, and can&#39;t even speak to a white women without feeling giddy and nauseous.

Buying love in the &#036;hit holes and short time bars of Subic Bay has been my only sexual release in decades. Who cares if they loves me, if I can get laid once a week that&#39;s love enough for me :wub: :wub: They&#39;re happy, I&#39;m happy, who is going to psychoanalyze and say it&#39;s not right???

I&#39;d love to star in a channel four documentaryabout losers and lust. I could show you all the best short time bars in Luzon. Joe Public needs to know that there is more to life than a Saturday night in the pub, a shag with the lights off and two weeks a year in Corfu. Life is not a rehearsal.
:laugher: :party-smiley-012: :vomit-smiley-011:

Quoted post

There was nothing personal in my message to any board member, but if the cap fits ... ;)

Plutus
11th March 2006, 22:33
Originally posted by Pauldo@Mar 8 2006, 04:19 AM
Come to think of it, I believe that is EXACTLY what Heideh is planning to do:

Quoted post

"There are thousands of foreign women now living in the UK, people who have made it their home, who have married UK men and are having UK families. They are very much part of our fabric yet remain somewhat of a silent presence.

We&#39;re particularly keen to give a voice to these women. Women who have left one culture for another. We want this to be a film about their lives made by them." (Heideh)

Come to think of it, I believe that is EXACTLY what Heideh is planning to do&#33;

Pauldo
11th March 2006, 23:36
Originally posted by Plutus@Mar 11 2006, 10:33 PM
"There are thousands of foreign women now living in the UK, people who have made it their home, who have married UK men and are having UK families. They are very much part of our fabric yet remain somewhat of a silent presence.

We&#39;re particularly keen to give a voice to these women. Women who have left one culture for another. We want this to be a film about their lives made by them." (Heideh)

Come to think of it, I believe that is EXACTLY what Heideh is planning to do&#33;

Quoted post

:Erm: :Erm: :Erm: :Erm: :Erm: :Erm: :Erm:
:xxparty-smiley-050:

deepete
12th March 2006, 12:40
Originally posted by admin@Mar 7 2006, 01:28 PM

English: Lazy slappers, who want everything for nothing, and if anything goes wrong, it is always someone elses fault&#33;

Quoted post

Big sweeping statements there,not all filipino women are as you described and I dont think my wife and her friends know their place in life, but normally very loyal to their families. It may take you a few years to realise how strong and hard headed your wife can be.

Not all `English` are lazy slappers, good and bad in all nationalities but to broaden the subject out most of the trouble with the generation around now is down to both men and women. Men for not sticking around to bring up their kids leaving women to bring up boys with no enforced limits on their behaviour, and bringing up girls with the impression that men are no good and should be taken for everything they can get.

Countries with strong christian beliefs and divorce is difficult dont seem to have our problems, ie: Philippines,Spain,Italy.Cant comment on other religions as i dont know enough about the subject. Strong families make better societies.

Getting back to the original post, in my opinion, dont get involved as it will be another pop at men supposedly taking advantage of women from poor third world countries, whereas the truth is more like the opposite.

Admin
12th March 2006, 13:11
It may take you a few years to realise how strong and hard headed your wife can be.
I think 8 years is long enough, and we know a few hundred Filipino&#39;s to have a reasoanble pool of reliable stats.

Not all `English` are lazy slappers
Put them in a Philippine slum and see how they get on? They&#39;ll either starve to death, or get their way with sex.

:)

deepete
12th March 2006, 13:43
Originally posted by admin@Mar 12 2006, 01:11 PM
I think 8 years is long enough, and we know a few hundred Filipino&#39;s to have a reasoanble pool of reliable stats.
Put them in a Philippine slum and see how they get on? They&#39;ll either starve to death, or get their way with sex.

:)

Quoted post

Is that agree or disagree... :rolleyes:

We have had just as bad slums here in our history and as I`m around to talk they must have used your sugestion, plus a lot of blood sweat and tears ;)

symonh2000
18th March 2006, 23:05
I have never had a problem with meeting and going out with girls because I am not too bad looking, but the fillipina I am currently courting is so much different, she is kinder, more loyal and better person than the majority of british women I have been out with. Women here are too feminist here for my liking also, they want to be more equal than men, whereas I would be happy for them to be equal.

bigtombowski
27th July 2007, 17:07

keith, u really don't mince your words, and man, I sooooo agree :D:D:D:icon_win::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

aromulus
27th July 2007, 18:20

English: Lazy slappers, who want everything for nothing, and if anything
goes wrong, it is always someone elses fault!

Yes, right again.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But you forgot the "domineering" and "manipulative" bits...:NoNo:
Things which western women excel at.

bigtombowski
27th July 2007, 18:25
true aromulus!

:):gp::REDancedancer08::appl::appl::appl::appl: