PDA

View Full Version : British TV Documentary

hedieh
6th March 2006, 18:31
Hi

I'm at the early stages of research for a Channel 4 documentary (British TV) about foreign marriages. We're looking to make a film about UK men who have found or are finding wives abroad. This could be for a number of reasons i.e. they like a different culture, they’re sick of UK women or they’re simply looking for a new experience.

I understand that a lot of you will already be sceptical about this and about my motivations. There's not a lot I can do about this but what I can do is tell you why we want to make this film. There are thousands of foreign women now living in the UK, people who have made it their home, who have married UK men and are having UK families. They are very much part of our fabric yet remain somewhat of a silent presence.

We're particularly keen to give a voice to these women. Women who have left one culture for another. We want this to be a film about their lives made by them. I, and Channel 4, feel very passionately that as the world becomes smaller and people are meeting partners over the internet as a matter of course, certain stereotypes are thoroughly outdated.

I'm looking for cases of women just about to come to the UK or are just about to be married. But cases of couples now living together in the UK are also of interest.

At this stage I'm simply trying to find out as much as I can. Sorry if this isn't for you, but if you want to chat and help me understand things further it'll be off the record and in confidence. Also, if there's anyone you can think off that may be helpful I'd love it if you could pass them my details.

Many thanks for your time.

Hedieh

Researcher
Betty TV (on behalf of Channel 4)
The Heals Building
8 Alfred Mews
London
W1T 7AA
Tel: +44(0)20 7907 0892
Email: hedieh@bettytv.co.uk