PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Gibbon aka Ubuntu

walesrob
17th January 2008, 22:40
Don't worry guys, I've not gone doolally yet, but I've setup Ubuntu 7.04 on an old computer (A Celeron 1.7 with only 256 of memory) whilst my lappy is off for repair.

Ubuntu is probably the most user-friendly Linux distro there is, and if your a die-hard Windows user like me, you will feel instantly at home with Ubuntu. Whats great is that drivers don't need to be installed by you - its done FOR YOU!! Yep, I plugged in my HP PSC into USB port expecting all kinds of errors, but no, after 10 seconds, I was told the printer is installed and ready to use.

Best of all, Ubuntu is free, and it comes with loads of free software, Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, CD and DVD burner, Music player, etc. So if your looking for a cheapo alternative to Windows, Ubuntu is the one. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

chino
18th January 2008, 00:39
its not bad.......... for an OS

Just got to remember the different commands for console as they are slightly different (unix commands) than windows.

KeithD
18th January 2008, 01:24
I'm thinking of having this installed on my new server....although most of the control will be through WHM/Cpanel.

What's the updates & support like for it?

andypaul
18th January 2008, 08:20
I think i left a link to a light version which ran on vm player and was stripped down version which ran as a firefox browser seperate from your main machine. Dell and others are supporting it. You can run as a live cd so dont need to load on at first.

walesrob
18th January 2008, 10:08
I'm thinking of having this installed on my new server....although most of the control will be through WHM/Cpanel.

What's the updates & support like for it?

Updates are done in Windows stylee notification, but its not forced like Windows, basically you get a popup saying theres XX updates, click here to download and install.

Support I'm not sure as I always use Google to find the answers.

andypaul
18th January 2008, 20:10
Lots of suport for the software due to the users being far more techy in general.
But running a commercial server, using ubuntu might need looking into a little more for the support if there is a major issue which addressing asap, but day to day why not.

The eeepc uses a linux op system and you could install ubuntu if you so wished.

The new flash memory pc's and live cds make it easier to use than ms and apple with non technical users if the os is damaged beyond repair.

So if you have loved ones in phill or uk who need a cheaper option than microsoft or apple os its defintely worth looking into like Rob says.