PDA

View Full Version : rob , IT jobs in demand

joebloggs
15th January 2008, 03:43
rob, might be an idea to look at this b4 you decide anything..

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/default.aspx

walesrob
15th January 2008, 04:44
Thanks Joe, thats useful.

Most important thing of all is that I will need to move away from this part of Wales to get work, and secondly I'm not a Welsh speaker, so I'm at a serious disadvantage. Round here, only Sariad Cymraeg will get you the best jobs, or even any decent job.

Manchester maybe? :D

baboyako
15th January 2008, 04:53
I've always wondered why voip (cisco call centre) engineers got so much. surely its just another cert to pass? and then setting up the router - seems like money for old rope - or am i missing something?

joebloggs
20th January 2008, 00:37
just signed up to do a 'relational databases' course with the OU rob, i've done a similar course b4, but quit because i couldn't be :censored: reading the course material, really badly written, would put you to sleep in 5 mins.. hope this one is not as bad :D, i think it would be useful for sql admin jobs.. and i would rather do that than a course on widgets :NoNo:, human interfaces :NoNo:.... :Help1:

also kimmi , if you bother reading this :D, even with the OU , it states you have to have at least ILR and been in the uk 3 years :yikes:, sorry lady, maybe you still can but pay international fees :cwm24::bigcry:

andypaul
20th January 2008, 01:09
I once got some material from learn direct which was suppose to be for w2k admin jeez the material was very poor, far better things from the major internet online companies. I hope the OU is better.

Wouldn't it be better to do MS certs than OU degree?

andypaul
20th January 2008, 01:14
I've always wondered why voip (cisco call centre) engineers got so much. surely its just another cert to pass? and then setting up the router - seems like money for old rope - or am i missing something?

Surely just a lack of trained people once people notice there is money they will all pile in and the wages will be rubbish.

Far better to find your best field and do something you enjoy and will excell at than chase the money to end up in a field where suddenly the bottom will fall out of the market and every job will have tons of applicants chasing it.

joebloggs
20th January 2008, 01:26
nah i dont think so, still don't think you can beat a degree, most OU stuff if good, i just ignored most of the comments from people who had previously taken the course, saying it was badly written and complicated.. looks like they've changed it and rewritten it.. so i'll give it a bash

i'm nearly half way thru the degree, not done anything for 2 years thou :yikes:, i blame the misses for spending what little money i had :D, so i'm not quitting now.. Ms certs , no longer retire, you just cannot take them :D, sure short term they are good, but if you want to spend the rest of your life keeping them upto date, and doing more tests, b4 it was mcp and mcse now i don't know what it is anymore since they've changed them :D, but if i've got the cash i'll do some..

on the job front and immigration front degree a degree is better, if i ever get to the phils, I'm hoping maybe i can teach at palawan state uni :icon_lol:, hey you never know.. i don't think an mcse will help there, i've looked at a couple of jobs today, they ask for a computing degree, also for hsmp here in the uk, the gov body that evaluates qualifications of foreign students, doesn't evaluate mcse or any other cert, as they are private certs , and not given by a uni, so you get 0 points..., when we pay me debts off, i mean the misses debts :D, maybe we will goto Oz or newzeland .. so i would get ponits for the degree. but i don't think we would need it, as the misses has 2 already..

learn direct :NoNo:, don't think you can compare with the OU, 300,00 students at the OU.. well there are 3 course levels, and level 3 is not easy :Help1:

joebloggs
20th January 2008, 01:36
Surely just a lack of trained people once people notice there is money they will all pile in and the wages will be rubbish.

Far better to find your best field and do something you enjoy and will excell at than chase the money to end up in a field where suddenly the bottom will fall out of the market and every job will have tons of applicants chasing it.

this is what :censored: me off, there are so many Indian and Pakistanis people here on HSMP working in the IT field, why aren't the uni's here teaching the students to fill these jobs :Erm:.. what happen to brown when he said "british jobs for british workers" :icon_lol:, well he is a scot :D, he knows becuase of the european union he cannot do that... :D

but you've got immiogrants on HSMP taking all best paid jobs, and eastern euros taking all the lower paid jobs :icon_lol:... :ARsurrender:

andypaul
20th January 2008, 02:07
Many of the people here from india are worked real hard and many working in business parks near me leave real late and start very early.

The unis do teach it degrees which are useless with out practical experience and most employers still want cisco, ms or manufactuer certs to prove they know what they are doing.
Many of the UNI's are scaling down there uni classes and students simply are not intrested.

The IT training in schools is from what i have seen from the schools in london we been invited to visit to help out at in one way or another.

If we trained more college aged kids in quals something like the a+ and n+ in the early 90s instead of the outmoded rubbish i learned we might have had the quality of staff needed to support an I.T industry.

Most I.T training should be more hands on and vocational training not degrees writing about it.

We leave whats taught in schools and unis to those that cant, when really it should be asking those that can.

joebloggs
20th January 2008, 02:39
oh i'm not knocking how hard Indians work, or polish, i know i work with a pole, and the poor :censored: gets paid the lowest amount :furious3:

and i even agree with you on the cert side, as most of it is practical not theory based, unlike most degrees, but many jobs ask for a degree and not certifications, but you can not beat hands on experience :xxgrinning--00xx3:, and thats one thing they cannot teach you :doh

i have to laugh everytime i see the ads on tv for train in a job in IT, and get 30k+ ayear, like their 6wk or 6month course would get you that :icon_lol: :D :icon_lol:, even help find you a job, yes selling big macs :icon_lol:, whos going to employ someone whos done a course for a couple of months and let them touch you servers :yikes:, the guy who does our IT at work, i would let him turn my pc on never mind try admin a server, even with all my years of experience in IT, i make sure and double sure i don't :censored: anything up, or i've got a good idea what i'm doing first and i've copied any files first to somewhere else b4 i delete them, our bespoke stock system, of which we were paying £700 a month maintenace :yikes:, stopped working, took me a while to kinda figure out why it wouldn't work, db files had been over written with old ones and were not compatiable with the newer version of the program, thats what happens when you have a few :Rasp: who have access to editing the db files directly and screwing it up.. :NoNo: and the backups were nealry a year old :icon_lol: :Help1:

andypaul
20th January 2008, 11:52
I guess it needs to be a mixture yes have a degree but instead of the kids at 16-18 just taking a levels they can pass to get on a degree course. Get them also taking either the A+ and or the N+. That or city and gulid exams.
If a Pupil came to me with a levels maths, computer science, or physics or other useful subjects and some industry certs.
I would be over the moon I was lucky at 16-18 i studied a BTEC far more useful than some random a levels which you just learn to pass. At our college we also picked up City and gulid certs and spent as much time doing practical hands on work as we did in the classroom.

I would say jack of all trades is far more useful in todays blurred job market than a expert at one.

As i have mentioned before t think we have had degree students turn up but many failed the basic requirments.

When we hold a open day or mass interview we invite them all along have them wait in the reception, then they are brought in to a room for a buffet and a get to meet you of staff from all levels.

HR and the deptartment requiring the people, then ask the guests from the staff who they thought stood out.

Its not just about who walks into the room and chats to all ( i know of one bloke wo was the weaker candidate on paper and when tested) but due to it being a field job where you have to walk into stressful situations and deal with the people need to be able to relate to people and not be put off. This guy walked in and starting chatting to myself and two others while all the other candidates went straight to the food and hung back in groups.
For another post we needed someone who needed to be constantly learning due to the technolgy and tasks required of them and really into the subject. The guy who got it was one who when we were in the companies show room only talked to me about some of the devices we manufacture and sell had no intrested in talking to others. Just facinated how they worked and the work that went on with them. HR said hes not a people person we need team players. He got the job and now is one of our Gurus on a range of products and highly regarded by the company(ie if he says hes walking he will get a pay rise).

What im getting at is don't just say i want to do x, think and find out if you have the charcter and personality for that particular field.

I could program like you joe i wrote programs and didn't find it hard, it made sense to me and learned it easily. But i couldn't do it all day:NoNo:. Would bore me silly. I wouldn't get far in the industry and any decent selection process would say im not suited to the job.

I have seen examples of people who get qualified in a particular job and keep getting turned down i think the reason they forget is they may not have the personality and qualities required even if they have the little piece of paper.

heres some good news for people trying to get in to the subject but bad news for the industry.

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2196783/level-results

joebloggs
29th January 2008, 14:15
Rob i signed up with the OU to do relational databases, just found out the tutor is the same lady who taught me pascal and structured programming back in 1990 :yikes:, what odds would you give for that scouser keith ?? , not only that but she lives not far from me :yikes:

anyway looks a good course, rewritten, alot better than the prevoius one a quit on :D

walesrob
29th January 2008, 14:34
Rob i signed up with the OU to do relational databases, just found out the tutor is the same lady who taught me pascal and structured programming back in 1990 :yikes:, what odds would you give for that scouser keith ?? , not only that but she lives not far from me :yikes:

anyway looks a good course, rewritten, alot better than the prevoius one a quit on :D

I'm progressing well with the A+, its hard going at times, so much new terminology - ALU, EDB, arghh :Erm: The bit about CPU's and how they work is heavy reading, so much to learn about pipelining, threading, registers, multipliers, thought I knew much of it already having built loads of computers. :CompBuster::CompBuster: but seems I have a lot to learn. I'm also looking at doing an MCSE course, but which one to go for, not sure, so many...

joebloggs
29th January 2008, 14:39
a lot to learn :D , then forget :doh

i had to know alot of things like that, when i was compaq certified :Rasp: many years ago :cwm24:

good you doing something :xxgrinning--00xx3:, better than do nothing :NoNo:

goodluck with it, depending on this course, i might do a MS\oracle SQL cert and try and find a junior job doing that..

Mrs.JMajor
29th January 2008, 16:17
pssttt mens talk ...dont interfere ladies hehe :D

joebloggs
29th January 2008, 16:49
:yikes: a woman :yikes:

hide :xxparty-smiley-004:

i thought this was in the mens only section that was hidden from the gals where we talk about the ladies, cars, money and our secret parties :yikes: scouser keith

we've been rumbled :cwm24:

Mrs.JMajor
29th January 2008, 17:00
:yikes: a woman :yikes:

hide :xxparty-smiley-004:

i thought this was in the mens only section that was hidden from the gals where we talk about the ladies, cars, money and our secret parties :yikes: scouser keith

we've been rumbled :cwm24:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::censored::doh

andypaul
2nd February 2008, 20:02
I'm progressing well with the A+, its hard going at times, so much new terminology - ALU, EDB, arghh :Erm: The bit about CPU's and how they work is heavy reading, so much to learn about pipelining, threading, registers, multipliers, thought I knew much of it already having built loads of computers. :CompBuster::CompBuster: but seems I have a lot to learn. I'm also looking at doing an MCSE course, but which one to go for, not sure, so many...

My advice get the two exams for A plus passed then N+ so you have a good firm understanding and also the two which many IT industry jobs will either expect you to have and understand that level of information.

Many problems with I.T projects is people in postions where they don't know the basics (correct cabling for example) and then the whole project comes crashing to a halt as the cabling is redone:doh

Then with acheiving mcse you would need to become mcp and then mcsa.

Start simple one step at a time either get the mcsdt two quals 070 271 and 070 272 if my memories severs me correct and then go on to the 070 270 and then i would suggext 070 290 and another which ever you find yourself drawn to. But thats a way down the line.

At all levels its best to test yourself regularly. You can get many programs which will test you on both A+ general questions and in particular areas so you can test for areas of weakness.

Good luck Sir its worth it:xxgrinning--00xx3: