PDA

View Full Version : Look after the pennies, the ££££s look after themselves

stevewool
21st February 2018, 19:24
Well, after a few phone calls here and there, I have managed to save this coming year on my gas and electric and car insurance too.

Just gone onto Uswitch and have changed my gas and electric supplier from British Gas to British Gas and will be saving £22 a month. Yes, it can go up or down, but it's a cheaper unit rate and standing charges, and it is fixed for 1 whole year too.

The car insurance went up another £56, and after another few phone calls I had managed to get it cheaper than last year - and with the same supplier.

Now it's time to spend all this money I have saved on a holiday.

Tawi2
21st February 2018, 19:36
I have a load of old tenners I need to cash in at the bank :cwm25:

stevewool
21st February 2018, 19:51
I have a load of old tenners I need to cash in at the bank :cwm25:

Get your skates on or post them here. :biggrin:

Tawi2
21st February 2018, 19:53
I have rather a nice amount I was saving in my sock drawer. Going to change them for new ones. I don't think you need anymore cash Steve, :icon_sorry: your sock drawer must have no room for the socks ££££££££

stevewool
21st February 2018, 20:01
I have rather a nice amount I was saving in my sock drawer. Going to change them for new ones. I don't think you need anymore cash Steve, :icon_sorry: your sock drawer must have no room for the socks ££££££££

Yer, I wish! It's funny I don't have any cash in the house at all. Sometimes I don't even have a few pennies to rub together, but it's just a quick walk to the ATM or the shops to get some cash.

Tawi2
21st February 2018, 22:54
I actually had some old tenners refused in Canada last week, that's why I have decided to offload them.
:biggrin: Gave me a bit of a shock when they said those old ten pounds sterling are being discontinued in the UK, :yikes: That was my wake-up call :cwm25:

grahamw48
22nd February 2018, 22:31
British Gas (who I WAS with)... hiked up their prices to faithful customers last year.

Hardly a surprise they then lost 10% of their total customers after that. doh ! :crazy:

Am now with EDF, but could have done without the chopping and changing.

Life was simpler when you just went into the Gas or Electric Board showroom and paid your bill every quarter. :anerikke:

Michael Parnham
23rd February 2018, 13:47
British Gas (who I WAS with)... hiked up their prices to faithful customers last year.

Hardly a surprise they then lost 10% of their total customers after that. doh ! :crazy:

Life was simpler when you just went into the Gas or Electric Board showroom and paid your bill every quarter. :anerikke:

Yes I agree, miss that really:Erm:

jonnijon
23rd February 2018, 21:16

And you could get a new oven on credit that just went on your bill. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
23rd February 2018, 21:45
And you could get a new oven on credit that just went on your bill. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aye... that's true.

Sunbeam electric frying pan was my big purchase from them (being in a bedsit at the time).

10 or 15 quid in 1972, and it was still going strong out in the Phils in 2004... before I sold it to a friend. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
26th February 2018, 16:00
I actually had some old tenners refused in Canada last week, that's why I have decided to offload them.
:biggrin: Gave me a bit of a shock when they said those old ten pounds sterling are being discontinued in the UK, :yikes: That was my wake-up call :cwm25:

:cwm25: ... I wouldn't have thought Canadians were likely to accept English currency. :NoNo:

Tawi2
26th February 2018, 17:36
:cwm25: ... I wouldn't have thought Canadians were likely to accept English currency. :NoNo:

You don't think they have currency exchanges in Canada Arthur? :icon_lol: This is the one, phone them up ask them do they accept UK tenners :wink:

http://www.calforex.com/en/locations/ottawa-currency-exchange/

Arthur Little
26th February 2018, 19:15
You don't think they have currency exchanges in Canada Arthur? :icon_lol: This is the one, phone them up ask them do they accept UK tenners :wink:

http://www.calforex.com/en/locations/ottawa-currency-exchange/

So ... :anerikke: ... in fact, it was *at a Bureau de Change :biggrin: the tenners had been refused? You omitted to mention *that! :smile:

Tawi2
26th February 2018, 19:20
I didn't think I was going to get questioned over the minutia of the transaction, I simply said I had tenners refused in canada :smile: