PDA

View Full Version : Wheels In Motion

Arthur Little
7th February 2018, 14:04
ARE the days of the humble jeepney numbered?

*Hino Motors, Philippines (HMP) has unveiled its innovative new 'Euro 4'~powered fleet of trucks and buses, in its bid to lessen the nation's carbon footprint.

http://manilastandard.net/wheels-more-motoring-quarterly/trucks/257749/hino-unveils-euro-4-fleet-for-ph-market.html ... :ReadIt:

:wink: ... *he knows, y'know :cwm24:, he he!

Trefor
7th February 2018, 14:48
Pity no owner/drivers will be able to afford one. I expect they will try and phase out the current polluting models in time though. We own 2 jeepneys and both drivers do their best to break them regularly (sigh). They say there are over 1 million jeepneys in the country, seems a bit high to me. But anyway, even if a new model were introduced at $1,000, the manufacturer could not replace every model on the road for several years because of production capacity.

fred
7th February 2018, 16:36
I`ve been a passenger..Been a driver, been a casualty...Their days are over...Good riddance!!

SimonH
8th February 2018, 11:56
Quite simple really, introduce the new ones in Manila and send the existing polluting things out to the provinces. Then gradually introduce new non belching vehicles to major cities until after 5 years or so they’re all clean.
Or is that too logical :Erm:

Arthur Little
8th February 2018, 14:09
Quite simple really, introduce the new ones in Manila and send the existing polluting things out to the provinces. Then gradually introduce new non belching vehicles to major cities until after 5 years or so they’re all clean.
Or is that too logical :Erm:

Fine maybe for city dwellers :cwm25: ... but NOT so good for those who are living in the provinces. :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
8th February 2018, 14:22
Fine maybe for city dwellers :cwm25: ... but NOT so good for those who are living in the provinces. :NoNo:
Yeah, that's true :Erm:

grahamw48
8th February 2018, 16:40
How about just fitting a modern clean-burning power unit ?

What has the bodywork and transmission got to do with it... apart from perhaps being a bit heavy ?

Ridiculous notion in a country where money and jobs are scarce, and the existing millions of Jeepneys have proved themselves 'fit for purpose' over many decades... other than the pollution aspect, which as I have already pointed out... does not require total vehicle replacement.

Of course there are bound to be many vested interests rubbing their greedy hands together...

Trefor
8th February 2018, 17:44
Agreed. Lot of old London Taxi engines up for sale soon. Oh, maybe not, you said clean :-)

I bet the average VAG 2.0 TDi would have lots more punch than the wheezy engines in Jeepneys. Secondhand engine, rebuild etc. Trouble is all the electrickery is hard work - need something simpler.

SimonH
9th February 2018, 02:06

Apart from the simple fact that those living in the provinces are using even dirtier belching jeepneys :NoNo:

I was suggesting a rotation basis replace old with new or newer gradually.

Steve.r
9th February 2018, 04:05
What happened to emission testing?

fred
9th February 2018, 07:52

They pretend to do them..
Just pay the 500 Peso and the job`s a good`n!!

grahamw48
9th February 2018, 09:50

Wot ? lol. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
9th February 2018, 09:58
I go for the modern eco-friendly option whenever possible... :biggrin: (last week)

Laraa
23rd November 2023, 11:11
That is environmentally friendly and good step to save the nature. I am with them!!