PDA

View Full Version : Far~Fetched Nonsense ... Or Utopian Vision

Arthur Little
23rd October 2017, 16:54
:cwm25: ... could car~ownership soon become "a thing of the past"? It seems to me, an unlikely prospect ... :anerikke: ... before *2040 at any rate (*when sales of diesel and petrol cars are earmarked to be banned in the UK) yet -

- according to 'Guardian' columnist, John Harris, it could! :cwm24:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/23/owning-car-thing-of-the-past-cities-utopian-vision ... :ReadIt:

grahamw48
24th October 2017, 19:04
Far-fetched nonsense at the moment.. certainly, I reckon.

Pleased I sold my last (faithful workhorse) diesel car a while back though. I used them for work for more than 20 years. Great reliable vehicles... shame about the pollution.

Arthur Little
24th October 2017, 21:56
Far-fetched nonsense at the moment.. certainly, I reckon.

:smile: Hmm ... true, Graham. Can't imagine that happening within the next 20~odd years, really. :NoNo:

Pleased I sold my last (faithful workhorse) diesel car a while back though. I used them for work for more than 20 years. Great reliable vehicles... shame about the pollution.

Now, tho', you're in the position of being able to simulate the "boy racer" experience at the touch of a button - from the safety & comfort of your armchair - minus the pollution. :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th October 2017, 11:36
Aye... this is true Arthur. Also much cheaper than petrol or diesel... and no speeding or parking tickets. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th October 2017, 13:24
Aye... this is true Arthur. Also much cheaper than petrol or diesel ... and no speeding or parking tickets. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

...................................................................... :yeahthat: ... and (BEST of ALL!) more of the "readies" to spend on subsequent trips to your second home in the Phils! :icon_lol:

grahamw48
25th October 2017, 21:08
Well people do ask me how I can afford 3 or 4 trips a year Arthur.

I don't smoke now, or drink alcohol, or run a car.

The first two I really don't miss at all (and of course feel a lot healthier for it too).

The lack of a vehicle can sometimes be a bit inconvenient, but really, with the free bus pass I now have, (and a railway station a mile away) hardly impinges at all on my way of life. :anerikke:

Again, I'm expecting to enjoy better fitness and health, now that I walk to the shops and carry stuff home, rather being lazy and ride around everywhere.

grahamw48
26th October 2017, 01:04
Driving my Aston at the TopGear test track.... :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0usdOpNgD1s

Tawi2
26th October 2017, 05:29
Driving my Aston at the TopGear test track.... :biggrin:

I live near an aston martin garage,and quite close to McLarens,i must have seen hundreds of McLaren sports cars,you never know what type as they are brand spanking but covered in a fabric skin,they drive down the road from the McLaren HQ to fill up at the local garage,i think you would like that :smile:

grahamw48
26th October 2017, 10:16
You're right mate, I certainly would like that. :xxgrinning--00xx3: My enthusiasm for all things connected with motors and motor sports remains undiminished... just more of a spectator now, by choice ( other than racing around on my Xbox of course, where I can drive almost any 'exotic' on public roads (Forza Horizon sims) or most of the famous race tracks (Forza Motorsport sims)... and in a surprisingly realistic way :biggrin: ).

Here... playback of driving my very much tuned up Honda S2000 on the 'Need For Speed Shift' sim... online, against other players. Every aspect of the car is customised by myself... suspension settings, tyre pressures, engine and transmission tuning, aerodynamics, (within the confines of the class), etc.
The 'physics' on these sims is just incredible now... and this is one of my older ones. :smile:

Bear in mind that youtube uploading has also considerably degraded the graphics, which are HD quality on my tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13__-Q4OQ0Y

Michael Parnham
26th October 2017, 12:29
Great stuff future F1 track. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
26th October 2017, 17:28
Hope I'm still here to witness that Michael. :biggrin: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
27th October 2017, 12:25
Hope I'm still here to witness that Michael. :biggrin: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sure you will, because I certainly will be! :xxgrinning--00xx3: