PDA

View Full Version : Reported Coup attempt today Friday 24th Feb

ginapeterb
24th February 2006, 10:35
President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Friday declared a State of National Emergency following reports of a failed attempt by top military leaders to takeover the government.

ion Declaring a State of National Emergency (full text)
Article posted February 24, 2006

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Friday declared a State of National Emergency following reports of a failed attempt by top military leaders to takeover the government.

Eduardo Nachura, presidential chief legal counsel, penned the President’s order.

For the interest of the public, GMANews.TV is making available to the public the entire text of the Proclamation No. 1017, or the Proclamation Declaring a State of National Emergency.

Proclamation No. 1017

Proclamation Declaring a State of National Emergency

WHEREAS, over these past months, elements in the political opposition have conspired with authoritarians of the extreme Left represented by the NDF-CPP-NPA and the extreme Right, represented by military adventurists – the historical enemies of the democratic Philippine State – who are now in a tactical alliance and engaged in a concerted and systematic conspiracy, over a broad front, to bring down the duly constituted Government elected in May 2004.

WHEREAS, these conspirators have repeatedly tried to bring down the President;

WHEREAS, the claims of these elements have been recklessly magnified by certain segments of the national media;

WHEREAS, this series of actions is hurting the Philippine State – by obstructing governance including hindering the growth of the economy and sabotaging the people’s confidence in government and their faith in the future of this country;

WHEREAS, these actions are adversely affecting the economy;

WHEREAS, these activities give totalitarian forces of both the extreme Left and extreme Right the opening to intensify their avowed aims to bring down the democratic Philippine State;

WHEREAS, Article 2, Section 4 of our Constitution makes the defense and preservation of the democratic institutions and the State the primary duty of Government;

WHEREAS, the activities above-described, their consequences, ramifications and collateral effects constitute a clear and present danger to the safety and the integrity of the Philippine State and of the Filipino people.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, President of the Republic of the Philippines and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested upon me by Section 17, Article 7 of the Philippine Constitution which states that: “The President … whenever it becomes necessary, … may call out (the) armed forces to prevent or suppress … rebellion …," and in my capacity as their Commander-in-Chief, do hereby command the Armed Forces of the Philippines, to maintain law and order throughout the Philippines, prevent or suppress all forms of lawless violence as well as any act of insurrection or rebellion and to enforce obedience to all the laws and to all decrees, orders and regulations promulgated by me personally or upon my direction; and as provided in Section 17, Article 12 of the Constitution do hereby declare a State of National Emergency.

IN WITNESS HEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the Republic of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed.

Done in the City of Manila, this 24th day of February, in the year of Our Lord, two thousand and six.

GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO
President
Republic of the Philippines

fred
24th February 2006, 11:11
These are the same people who led rallies last year.

The middle class is not joining.
The Church is not joining.
The huge bulk of the AFP is not joining.

Again, the events of this day appears to be a theatrical show.

Admin
24th February 2006, 11:36
Now if they could just get rid of the corruption and be like the whiter than white Western world..... :Doh:

Philip
24th February 2006, 16:24
Hmm, is it safe to book my flights for late april - mid may?

Eljohno
24th February 2006, 16:36
Originally posted by manila bound@Feb 24 2006, 03:24 PM
Hmm, is it safe to book my flights for late april - mid may?

Quoted post

I hope so as i am due to go over the first week in April, it would take a lot to stop me going....

fred
24th February 2006, 19:12
I was there during Edsa 1 and didnt feel threatened at all.
Probably best just to keep away from Edsa and anywhere near a planned rally..

ivor&mel
24th February 2006, 23:12
Hmm... this is rather disturbing news... My fiancee is due in Manila for her interview in 10 days, and I've just found this:

" The demonstrators later joined a much bigger rally, attended by more than 15,000 people, in the financial district of Makati. It was held without any incident. "

(Full text at http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1427947.cms)

Ivor

ivor&mel
24th February 2006, 23:21
Beeb has it at

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4745716.stm)

Not surprisingly, "Both the Philippine stock market and the national currency, the peso, plunged at the news of the emergency declaration."

Ivor

Irelandken
26th February 2006, 15:22
hmmm..i just got back from manila yesterday, flew out of manila on friday evening and to be honest..i never noticed anything...lol

Eljohno
26th February 2006, 18:23
Originally posted by Irelandken@Feb 26 2006, 02:22 PM
hmmm..i just got back from manila yesterday, flew out of manila on friday evening and to be honest..i never noticed anything...lol

Quoted post

Welcome back Ken i hope you had a good time!!!

Pauldo
26th February 2006, 21:22
Originally posted by Irelandken@Feb 26 2006, 03:22 PM

Quoted post

Looks to me like people have been giving her a hard time for a couple of months and she has finally spat the dummy, threw all her toys out of her pram, and decided to act tough.

It hardly qualifies as a coup really, just more natural Filipino political character assassination :BouncyHappy: