PDA

View Full Version : I never go in the spare room.

Slip
29th May 2017, 07:57
But as I've been decorating my Daughter's bedroom I stored a lot of her stuff in there.
However when I was putting stuff back in my Daughter's room I noticed the laminate floor around the radiator looked a bit funny. On closer inspection it was very brittle.

Anyway seems the radiator valve is leaking. I had noticed the boiler losing pressure slightly the last few months.... Keep meaning to get it checked.

So after asking around a few local groups for a recommended plumber, I have one coming this morning. I know it's a bank holiday, but he said that's fine. He won't charge me extra! Just as well because the towel I wrapped around the pipe yesterday afternoon is soaked! Hopefully he will fix it today and not just look, shake his head and make excuses and tell me I need parts I don't.

My grandfather is a retired plumber, however he lives in Ireland. He said it's just the valve that needs replacing. However he will probably need to drain the system to change it unfortunately which may cost more than the valve!

We shall see!

SimonH
29th May 2017, 08:03
Drain it yourself, a typical system will take about 20 mins to drain :smile:

Slip
29th May 2017, 08:30
Drain it yourself, a typical system will take about 20 mins to drain :smile:

Rather get somebody in, don't want to flood upstairs and below into the kitchen.

SimonH
29th May 2017, 08:32
Rather get somebody in, don't want to flood upstairs and below into the kitchen.

You won't, you'll find a drain cock typically attached to one of the downstairs rads. That's where you drain it from.

stevewool
29th May 2017, 08:37
Nothing like a relaxing time on Bank holidays, just put a bigger towel around the valve, or just nip the valve up a turn, that could be the problem.

grahamw48
29th May 2017, 09:19
Chewing gum ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
29th May 2017, 10:24
Chewing gum ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol: ... actually not a bad idea.

Slip
29th May 2017, 13:36
Cheaper than London!
Draining the system and replacing the valve, £40 and as the boiler is due a service I have asked him to do that. That's another £40... unless he finds a problem with it.

To think I used to pay £100 for a boiler service in London!

grahamw48
29th May 2017, 13:52
Another reason I'm grateful for my council bungy. :olddude:

Their problem. :biggrin:

SimonH
29th May 2017, 14:13
Cheaper than London!
Draining the system and replacing the valve, £40 and as the boiler is due a service I have asked him to do that. That's another £40... unless he finds a problem with it.

:yikes: Rad valve is a few quid, and the bloke's come out on a bank holiday for £40, blinking bargain :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
29th May 2017, 14:45
Cheaper than London!

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
29th May 2017, 14:52
Cheaper than London!

I lived local'ish to you when you were down here, my boiler stopped heating water once. Small wonder the plumber was telling me he liked to spend his winters in Australia, he charged me £380 to drain the boiler and put a new heating element in. :biggrin: Is it really grim Oop north?

Slip
29th May 2017, 15:10
I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter than downstairs. So he went round, bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

And still only took £80 from me that he asked from the outset.

stevewool
29th May 2017, 15:31
I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter then downstairs. So he went round bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

Does he travel to Derby? :biggrin:

grahamw48
29th May 2017, 18:01
I tell you what. Not only did he replace the valve and drain the system and service the boiler. I mentioned that upstairs the rooms tend to get hotter than downstairs. So he went round, bled all the radiators and adjusted all the upstairs ones, so that more heat is pushed downstairs so that it should now be shared equally. Whilst doing this he found out the hallway radiator wasn't actually heating at all, so he got it going.

What a nice Bank Holiday surprise. :xxgrinning--00xx3: