PDA

View Full Version : Aldi just gets better and better

stevewool
18th May 2017, 20:40
Years ago, when I was alone with the kids I had to shop wisely to make my money go further, so it was Farmfoods mainly.
I used to save a fortune going here instead of the big three.
People used to laugh at me about me going on about Farmfoods and then Aldi came into my view, well this was even better. I can get all my shopping from both shops and look at all the savings I could make, and then everyone seemed to be doing the same.
No one laughs now.
And look how good the shop Aldi is doing again.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/foodnews/this-budget-supermarkets-own-brand-food-has-just-been-declared-the-best/ar-BBBeuJj?li=AAnZ9Ug

Tawi2
18th May 2017, 20:41
I don't shop in Aldis, but I am going to pop in over the weekend, see what they sell :smile:

stevewool
18th May 2017, 21:15
I don't shop in Aldis, but I am going to pop in over the weekend, see what they sell :smile:

They sell everything that you may want, plus with a smile too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
19th May 2017, 22:12
They sell everything that you may want, plus with a smile too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sounds like you might have shares in them Steve. :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2017, 00:16
Not a great selection of stuff but there's quality buys to be had.

Coral baked beans - as good as HP or Heinz and approx 30p per tin
Frixo gravy granules - prefer them to Bisto
Steaks - :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Microwave curry - Better than most of the rival supermarkets
Ashfield Farm pork sausages - They have a kick to them. Tastiest ones ever. £1.29 approx for 8.

They do sell crap like the crisps and the Crestwood pies though.

stevewool
20th May 2017, 07:38
Sounds like you might have shares in them Steve. :icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
20th May 2017, 07:39
Not a great selection of stuff but there's quality buys to be had.

Coral baked beans - as good as HP or Heinz and approx 30p per tin
Frixo gravy granules - prefer them to Bisto
Steaks - :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Microwave curry - Better than most of the rival supermarkets
Ashfield Farm pork sausages - They have a kick to them. Tastiest ones ever. £1.29 approx for 8.

They do sell crap like the crisps and the Crestwood pies though.

Its nice to have a little crap sometimes but, doesn't every shop sells these items.

Longweekend
20th May 2017, 08:30

They also sell a lot of things you don't want as well, just ask my Mrs....:doh

stevewool
20th May 2017, 08:50
They also sell a lot of things you don't want as well, just ask my Mrs....:doh

I am very lucky like that, the most things Emma buys that I am not too keen on are grapes. She loves them, in fact all fruit. Bananas, apples, oranges, strawberries and loads more, but they are always eaten.
We brought two bottle of cider the other week and they are still in the fridge, a mad moment maybe of thinking that they look nice. :biggrin:

stevewool
20th May 2017, 09:13
On our last trip to Aldi we brought a pack of Jersey Royals potatoes. Cheap as chips for a small bag. Ok there were only a few in there compared to the salad potatoes we buy, but the taste were beautiful. Even Emma said they were very nice too.

Tawi2
20th May 2017, 09:21
I am going to Feltham today and will make a point of popping into Aldis. Still going to food shop in M&S later though. :smile:

stevewool
20th May 2017, 09:50
I am going to Feltham today and will make a point of popping into Aldis. Still going to food shop in M&S later though. :smile:

You will be jetting off more times all over the world with all the cash you will be saving from your shopping trips now. :smile:

Tawi2
20th May 2017, 09:53
Can't go anywhere till maybe October due to work, I am lucky I don't normally bother working in the winter. I was offered to go to Prague next Thursday but it was with 16 blokes who drink alcohol like wine so I declined the offer. :smile: I will report back on the discoveries in Aldi :smile:

Tawi2
29th May 2017, 08:49
Its actually on TV at the moment,house prices and their relationship with supermarket proximities,Waitrose can add 36 grand to the value of any houses within a radius of them,but what comes first thechicken or the egg :smile: Going to put my flip-flops on around 10 and have a wander over to M&S :smile:

grahamw48
29th May 2017, 09:08
Our newish Aldi was built next to a new development of 1000+ houses in my village.

Coming home on the bus from my mother's in Thirsk last week, I noticed an Aldi being built on a big new housing site in her small town too (which already has a Tesco and a Lidl nearer to the town centre).

I suppose it makes sense for them to follow the planners and builders around. :smile:

Michael Parnham
29th May 2017, 09:24
I am very lucky like that, the most things Emma buys that I am not too keen on are grapes. She loves them, in fact all fruit. Bananas, apples, oranges, strawberries and loads more, but they are always eaten.
We brought two bottle of cider the other week and they are still in the fridge, a mad moment maybe of thinking that they look nice. :biggrin:

Fruit is a life saver! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
29th May 2017, 09:26
Its actually on TV at the moment,house prices and their relationship with supermarket proximities,Waitrose can add 36 grand to the value of any houses within a radius of them,but what comes first thechicken or the egg :smile: Going to put my flip-flops on around 10 and have a wander over to M&S :smile:

M&S and Waitrose are the best, wish we had a Waitrose. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
29th May 2017, 09:52
Our newish Aldi was built next to a new development of 1000+ houses in my village.

Coming home on the bus from my mother's in Thirsk last week, I noticed an Aldi being built on a big new housing site in her small town too (which already has a Tesco and a Lidl nearer to the town centre).

I suppose it makes sense for them to follow the planners and builders around. :smile:

A few years back we used to travel to Thirsk from Northallerton because that place had a great Indian takeaway.

grahamw48
29th May 2017, 14:03
Oh really ? Thirsk is a nice little market town, eh.... as is Northallerton. Mother (and dad) lived in Northallerton before moving to Thirsk. :xxgrinning--00xx3: