PDA

View Full Version : A smelly habit is expensive

stevewool
1st May 2017, 20:03
How much for a packet of cigarettes? They are so expensive and with these new laws coming in very soon I hope lots of folk will try to give them up.
Do you think that the government is trying to make them so expensive but when you pack these up, you then are so close to the £10 savings per day.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/lifestylehealth/how-six-new-laws-on-cigarettes-and-tobacco-will-affect-smokers-as-of-this-month/ar-BBAzvjE?li=AAnZ9Ug

Arthur Little
1st May 2017, 20:57
How much for a packet of cigarettes? They are so expensive and with these new laws coming in very soon I hope lots of folk will try to give them up.
Do you think that the government is trying to make them so expensive but when you pack these up, you then are so close to the £10 savings per day.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/lifestylehealth/how-six-new-laws-on-cigarettes-and-tobacco-will-affect-smokers-as-of-this-month/ar-BBAzvjE?li=AAnZ9Ug

Cigarettes - indeed, ALL tobacco products - and their somewhat bland substitutes, ARE extremely expensive, :iagree:!

But I'm convinced the reason successive *governments keep on taxing them to the hilt at each and every Budget, (without fail), is much more to do with the MASSIVE revenue being derived from the sale of these commodities, than their purported concerns for the health of the population. Let's face it ... :anerikke: ... the longer people live ... then the more *they have to pay out on old age pensions not to mention the care and general welfare of the elderly.

Ah, me, of such "little" faith in the true motives of politicians. :biggrin:

Rory
2nd May 2017, 13:11
Who in their right mind starts smoking these days. £10 a day for a teenager to start smoking !! Nobody i know starts smoking once they get out of their teens, they have more sense.

Arthur Little
2nd May 2017, 14:04
Who in their right mind starts smoking these days. £10 a day for a teenager to start smoking !! Nobody i know starts smoking once they get out of their teens, they have more sense.

Unfortunately ... it's mostly teenagers - MAINLY girls - one sees :Smokin: these days.

stevewool
2nd May 2017, 17:48

Yep, funny ain't it, they can find £10 to spend on fags and drink but can't find £10 to save for their future

Arthur Little
2nd May 2017, 18:46
Yep, funny ain't it, they can find £10 to spend on fags and drink but can't find £10 to save for their future

:NoNo: ... 'tisn't really, if they're concentrating on living for the present.

stevewool
2nd May 2017, 18:55
:NoNo: ... 'tisn't really, if they're concentrating on living for the present.

That is then the problem, Tomorrow will look after itself, well it needs help too. :smile:

grahamw48
3rd May 2017, 10:25
I don't suppose many of these teens are smoking full price cigs. Lord only knows how many are smuggled into the country nowadays.

Anyway, another couple of months and it will be 3 years since I last smoked a cig. No going back either. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Longweekend
3rd May 2017, 10:27
16 years for me...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
3rd May 2017, 10:58
Smokers save all of us having to pay higher Taxes, and as for the £10 per day thing the majority of working class people dont have £10 per day available to save, in the Wolverhampton, Birmingham area most people are closer to the minimum wage than the average earnings, this means £7.50 per hour x 40 = £300 x 52 = £15600 per annum, very few people earn more than £18.000 per annum in the Black Country, so once all bills, rent, mortgages, lifes basic needs there is very little left, in fact most of them need to claim working Tax credits to survive, so where does this £10 come from a little less food perhaps ?. Just because some are fortunate to have well paid jobs, it doesnt follow that everyone else is in the same situation. I still say saving £10 per day is beyond most people..

Longweekend
3rd May 2017, 11:30
What Steve was saying was if someone stopped smoking they could be saving up to £10 per day....

stevewool
3rd May 2017, 11:35
I am sure many smokers would rather have longer lives and more healthy too and would rather pay a little more tax if they could pack up smoking.
Yes there are lots on minimum wage and tax credits, but there are lots who do manage to save while on these too.
It's down to the individual to what is important in life, some may say the future, some may say today.
We are all different in our outlooks , but it does not mean anyone is right or wrong .

Arthur Little
3rd May 2017, 12:09
What Steve was saying was if someone stopped smoking they could be saving up to £10 per day....

... only if that person smoked a whole pack of 20 - or is it 18 - nowadays? :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway ... :anerikke: ... most brands still cost a good bit less than £10!

stevewool
3rd May 2017, 12:14
... only if that person smoked a whole pack of 20 - or is it 18 - nowadays? :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway ... :anerikke: ... most brands still cost a good bit less than £10!

Whether it's 1 pack or 3 packs and a few beers too, it's amazing the low paid seems to spend more on these items rather then the so called rich folk.
Like i have said it's down to ourselves in what we are wanting in life so if you want some thing nice save for it.

stevewool
3rd May 2017, 12:21
I am going to retire at 60.
I would love to go before but i have Emma to think about and she says 60 for me and then she is prepared to go anywhere where i say.
Will it be the Philippines, we have our own house there so it will be cheaper to live there.
Could it be Spain or France too.
So to make these things happen i save £98 a day.
Now i am not rich but i am careful and i am wanting something in my future life too.
I have been skint , i have been on the dole and i have had so much debt in my life, but i managed to get out of it, working two jobs , nights and days, weekend work , you name it i have done it, and why to try to better myself.

Longweekend
3rd May 2017, 12:28
£98.00 per day, are you following Michael's shopping plan..? :yikes:

fred
3rd May 2017, 12:40
Yes its getting pricey now..38 Pesos for 20 damned smokes.. 10 years ago it was only 5.00..

stevewool
3rd May 2017, 12:41
£98.00 per day, are you following Michael's shopping plan..? :yikes:

:laugher: if I was it would be £104.46p :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
But I like to eat nice different things.

grahamw48
3rd May 2017, 21:48
Whether it's 1 pack or 3 packs and a few beers too, it's amazing the low paid seems to spend more on these items rather then the so called rich folk.
Like i have said it's down to ourselves in what we are wanting in life so if you want some thing nice save for it.

Totally agree mate.

I'm an OAP now... can't afford to smoke (legal) cigs... or should I say, I'd rather spend the money on air tickets, and a 20 a day habit will cost the price of more than a couple of those each year.

Longweekend
3rd May 2017, 22:16
It could also reduce your life by a few years as well....:cwm25:

grahamw48
3rd May 2017, 22:45
That goes without saying... syempre. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
3rd May 2017, 22:47
Yes its getting pricey now..38 Pesos for 20 damned smokes.. 10 years ago it was only 5.00..

What are you smoking Fred? factory floor sweepings. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
4th May 2017, 07:13
16 years for me...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

25 years for me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
4th May 2017, 07:17
I am going to retire at 60.
I would love to go before but i have Emma to think about and she says 60 for me and then she is prepared to go anywhere where i say.
Will it be the Philippines, we have our own house there so it will be cheaper to live there.
Could it be Spain or France too.
So to make these things happen i save £98 a day.
Now i am not rich but i am careful and i am wanting something in my future life too.
I have been skint , i have been on the dole and i have had so much debt in my life, but i managed to get out of it, working two jobs , nights and days, weekend work , you name it i have done it, and why to try to better myself.

That's almost £3000 per month, that's approx. four times my income per month:Erm: