PDA

View Full Version : Calling PI?

chino
5th January 2008, 02:19
What is the cheapest way? I call via voipcheap.com what about you?

One a side note just ordered:

http://www.orangeaccessories.co.uk/reconditioned_mobile_phone/nokia/e65.html

So i can make my voip calls via my mobile

andypaul
5th January 2008, 02:48
Depends what system the other end is using.

Landline, mobile or computer.

With mobiles depends on the medium to send the voip call, wlan or gsm (3g,2.5g or 2g) and network here in the uk as the data plan can wipe out any saving if using the wrong combo.

Check if the voip firmware function is activated, i have read and heard of people discovering that on nokia e range some of the network carrier provided phones have the function disabled. Also check the data plan includes voip many don't and your get a higher charge for voip and messagner type data transfer if they use the regularly used ports.

A few of us on this site and others i know have had great sucess with the skype phones on 3 the peeps in phill need a pc skype connection or laptop/pda with (3g,2.5g,2g)/wlan connection

chino
6th January 2008, 02:37
always a mobile in PI,

I will unlock and fully flash the phone when it arrives as i will only use it for wlan connections apart from pay as you go. It costs me for a standard voip call i think 0.08€ per minute so its nothing really.

I live / work next to the pc so i can always use voip (PC to PC) though i just like the idea of WIFI in the mobile.

vbkelly
6th January 2008, 19:43
What is the cheapest way? I call via voipcheap.com what about you?

One a side note just ordered:

http://www.orangeaccessories.co.uk/reconditioned_mobile_phone/nokia/e65.html

So i can make my voip calls via my mobile

i tried to used this voipcheap.com but its a bit expensive try to log on in this site www.pinoycards.co.uk a loods of filipino cards in this site and cheaper

andypaul
6th January 2008, 21:33
always a mobile in PI,

I will unlock and fully flash the phone when it arrives as i will only use it for wlan connections apart from pay as you go. It costs me for a standard voip call i think 0.08€ per minute so its nothing really.

I live / work next to the pc so i can always use voip (PC to PC) though i just like the idea of WIFI in the mobile.

Using wifi and voip on the nokia e range is very smooth.

If thats 8 p a min i think thats more expensive than some of the other numbers doing the rounds at the moment. I think the missus ones 5 or 6 p a min where she dials a number which charges her 1.50 (can be done multiple times) and then she dials another number untill the credit it is up.

I have learned you need to constantly keep checking the rates and companies avaiable as it changes at least monthly if not more often.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/philippines-mobile

If your missus has access to yahhoo or msn or her mobile some of the networks have it so users pay a set fee and it works by sending sms to and from the mobile and then on to you as a messagner message.

Nokia e phones (s60 v3) can use a number of programs the one i use the most is IM+ which on wlan is very good. My wife and her sis and friends in phill use this set up and is far cheaper than web cafes and sms for both sides.