PDA

View Full Version : The Tragedy in Southern Leyte

ginapeterb
18th February 2006, 11:36
Giant Mudslide in Southern Leyte

I am sure that many of you are now aware of this sad tragedy that has taken place in Leyte, there was of course an earthquake in the area at 2.5 on the scale, just before the moutain collapsed and sent millions of tons of mud streaming down the mountain side and engulfing a complete village, rescue workers are currently trying to find survivors, about 200 people are confirmed dead, with over 1500 missing.

At this paticular time, I am sure many of you will want to join in with me, and send our condolences to the families of those who have loved ones, missing, it must be devastating to not know what is happening to your loved ones, it could have happened to anyone of us, who was on vacation in the Philippines at this time, Although the region is a remote one, and its unlikely that any foreigners were in the area, I have been in Manila when there have been mild tremors, it doesnt mean that any of us any immune to this tragedy, I watched the BBC's coverage last night, and Andrew Harding BBC Reporter has managed to get to the area, and did a good peice last night on 10 O'Clock news, the scenes were incredible.

It seems one tragedy after another is befalling this country, only last week, we had the Pasig City Wowee stampede, over 80 people lost their lives, then last year, we had the Luzon Province floods, again many missing people.

PGMA was on UK T.V. last night, stating that she will 'rebuild the region again' it was good to see that the crisis management is better now in the Philippines, as they are pretty used to this type of disaster, although I suspect its not natural, more man made, but this is not a time for recriminations.

We on this forum of course would want to send our best wishes for those survivors, and I have sent a personal e mail to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on behalf of this forum, expressing our condolences and full support at this time, on behalf of the British Filipino Community at FilipinoUK.

I am sure you would all approve.

Pete

ginapeterb
18th February 2006, 11:52
This is a copy of the e mail I sent to the Malacanang Palace for attention of the Presidents Staff and hoping she sees it.

Your Excellency, I have on behalf of the British Filipino Community represented on the Filipinouk Forum based here in the United Kindgom of 300 members and families, resolved to send a message of condolence to both you, and the Filipino people who have been struck by the great tragedy of February 17th, in Southern Leyte, our hearts go out to all of those who have been afflicted, and they are in our thoughts and prayers, I am sure that our that the 150,000 or so of Filipino's living in the UK will want to join in and express their condolences for any loss of life, and trust that the bayani spirit of the Filipinos as always will prevail,

Your servant Maam,
Peter David Bennett Forum Moderator

Spouse of Gina Pedres Yap - Bacolod CIty

Eljohno
18th February 2006, 12:16
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Feb 18 2006, 10:52 AM
This is a copy of the e mail I sent to the Malacanang Palace for attention of the Presidents Staff and hoping she sees it.
Your Excellency, I have on behalf of the British Filipino Community represented on the Filipinouk Forum based here in the United Kindgom of 300 members and families, resolved to send a message of condolence to both you, and the Filipino people who have been struck by the great tragedy of February 17th, in Southern Leyte, our hearts go out to all of those who have been afflicted, and they are in our thoughts and prayers, I am sure that our that the 150,000 or so of Filipino's living in the UK will want to join in and express their condolences for any loss of life, and trust that the bayani spirit of the Filipinos as always will prevail,

Your servant Maam,
Peter David Bennett Forum Moderator

Spouse of Gina Pedres Yap - Bacolod CIty

Quoted post

Hi pete,
there is not much to add than what you have already said, our thoughts and prayers will be with all involved in Southern Leyte....

John & Rhea

Admin
19th February 2006, 10:17
Ping's friend lives 3 villages away from the disaster. They've been evacuated. She's lost some friends :(

Strange, I hate it and feel sorry when things like that happen there, if it happened in the West I wouldn;t give a hoot.

Eljohno
19th February 2006, 10:48
Originally posted by admin@Feb 19 2006, 09:17 AM
Ping's friend lives 3 villages away from the disaster. They've been evacuated. She's lost some friends :(

Strange, I hate it and feel sorry when things like that happen there, if it happened in the West I wouldn;t give a hoot.

Quoted post

I think we would all prefer if this sort of disaster did not happen anywhere in the world!!!!!

John

walesrob
19th February 2006, 14:22
This is terrible news. RIP to those who perished.

Leyte is Elsa's province, but her family are from the north, far away from the danger area. Elsas sister did say that they've had a heck of a lot of rain in the last few weeks in that area.

Admin
19th February 2006, 18:47
Supposed to be the dry season as well :Erm:

Eljohno
20th February 2006, 20:46
I just read that the rescue teams heard noises coming from the area were one of the schools is but they are saying it is to soon to know if there is anyone alive but are working all through the night to find out.

I probably like many feel helpless at a time like this, if i had have had holidays left i would have really liked to have gone over to help in some way......

John

deepete
20th February 2006, 22:16
Imelda is on her way to visit, she was raised in the area, would be nice if she left her purse there

Gingwa
21st February 2006, 00:26
I would just like to add also my own sorrow at the loss of life of such a tragedy.
My heart goes out to all who have been affected. :(

dave65
21st February 2006, 14:06
Thanks for sending that message Pete very well put
my thoughts and prayers are certainly with those affected by the tragedy