PDA

View Full Version : Traveling the world

stevewool
15th February 2017, 14:32
I am sure there are a few members here that have traveled to many places through out the world, but when and how did you start.
Myself I did not leave this country until I was in my late twenties, and that was a trip to Guernsey.
After that venture it was France for many years, but these was holidays for a week or two.
The longest time was in the Philippines and that was for a month .
So reading between the lines from many, it seems a few have lived for many months even years in other countries, so why and how did you do this, was it work, or are you a free spirit.

Terpe
15th February 2017, 17:09
I've been so blessed to experience the joy of travel during more than 30 years of my working life as a Railway Engineering Consultant.
I visited so many places on almost every continent and lived in quite a few of them for significant periods of time. Probably more than the average person.

In the early days it was first class travel and accommodation. Gradually more and more cost restrictions came into force, but still I never tired of the lifestyle.
it was only after meeting the lady who would later be my wife that I gave up the job and the lifestyle. It's just not conducive for maintaining a lasting relationship.

The only downside was not having anyone to share the many many special moments and experiences.
I did sometimes feel lonely but never enough to loose my enthusiasm or hunger for more travel

stevewool
15th February 2017, 18:02
My brother has a fantastic job, he travels the world in his work and like you Peter he has stayed in some amazing places as he says,
Working in China , Africa is his main works, but then again he can be working in Northampton, but if the call comes in he's off to where ever they want him, he loves it

Longweekend
15th February 2017, 18:46
My overseas work started when I moved to Cape Town in 1984, Port Elizabeth in 1986, Johannesburg in 1987, Kuwait in 1988, Turkey in 1990 (during Gulf war), back to Kuwait in 1991, Philippines in 1994, Botswana in 1997, Saudi Arabia in 2001, Qatar in 2002 and back to dear old Blighty in 2005.....:biggrin:

stevewool
15th February 2017, 19:31
My overseas work started when I moved to Cape Town in 1984, Port Elizabeth in 1986, Johannesburg in 1987, Kuwait in 1988, Turkey in 1990 (during Gulf war), back to Kuwait in 1991, Philippines in 1994, Botswana in 1997, Saudi Arabia in 2001, Qatar in 2002 and back to dear old Blighty in 2005.....:biggrin:

What was your line of work if you don't mind me asking

Longweekend
15th February 2017, 19:34
I worked for Xerox...

stevewool
15th February 2017, 20:28
I worked for Xerox...

You was not installing printers all over the world was you.

Longweekend
15th February 2017, 20:34
Selling them...

Arthur Little
15th February 2017, 23:41
Y'know, the first - and only time I'd been abroad throughout the whole of my 24 years' marriage to my previous wife - was on our honeymoon ... which comprised a 4~day mini cruise to Oslo, I'd seen advertised in a women's magazine.

:cwm24: ... oh boy, the North Sea crossing from Newcastle's Tyne Commission Quay was rough (never seen waves like yon - either before or since) and it was little surprise to learn that practically everyone on board the 'MV Braemar' (including many seasoned crew members) had suffered seasickness :repuke: during the turbulent outward leg of the journey.

Family responsibilities - caring for her widowed invalid mother coupled in due course, with the arrivals of our two children - meant my wife had to give up a long-standing, pre-marital career as a professional photographer, leaving me as sole breadwinner. Added to which, she, in turn, inherited her mother's rheumatoid arthritis! So, in the event, our Norwegian honeymoon turned out to be Iris's one and only trip abroad; her general health deteriorated over the years ... leading to her early death a year prior to what would've been our Silver Wedding.

Luckily (for me) my kids were grown~up and self~sufficient by the time of their Mum's passing, and my daughter (who'd spent 3 months in America following graduation as a Speech & Language Therapist from Glasgow University) suggested I cash-in my wife's Life Assurance policy and take a much~needed vacation. So, in the summer of 1992 ... having been granted extended leave of absence from work, I spent 5 weeks travelling coast~to~coast across the United States.

Subsequently, I took early retiral and, thereafter, using the lump sum I'd accrued due to my length of service combined with transferrable superannuation payments from my previous employment, was able to travel widely in Europe and farther afield ... including China and eventually, of course, the Philippines.

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 00:08
I travelled across china once,crossed from pakistan,went up to urumqui then headed into that incredible country,zig-zagged around a bit,tibet and mongolia were on my visit list,wish i could go back in time and have the energy i had back then.

Michael Parnham
16th February 2017, 09:14
Even though I've been to Philippines many times I never thought I would ever travel out of the UK until of course I started writing to my ex who at that time was working in Hong Kong I was 46 then and my first journey on an aircraft took place August 1989 to Hong Kong of course and from then onwards went to visit Vancouver Island in the 90's to visit my ex wife's sister. Been to Philippines many times whilst in my Previous marriage, having never contacted my ex I would never have left the country also I am so excited to fly the further the better, in fact I can honestly say the flight to me is best part of my holiday, will be booking again soon for a visit to Philippines later this year and I'm excited already:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gm47
16th February 2017, 09:40
Stayed in Paris for the summer when I was 17 that was eye opening, also took a year off to travel the world in 98/99 that was a lot of fun, I circumnavigated the globe on that trip, also spent a year in the Phils in 07/08 which helped me to decide if I could live there or not. Will have to wait until I retire now before doing it again. Always travelled alone, easier that way :) My only travelling now is 1 or 2 trips each year to the Phils :(

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 15:14
Where would you like to go steve,which places are on your must see bucket list before the boatman takes you over the river for your last journey?

stevewool
16th February 2017, 15:31
Where would you like to go steve,which places are on your must see bucket list before the boatman takes you over the river for your last journey?

To tell the truth I am not a very good traveler, I panick a little sometimes and then I get myself all worked up over nothing, but I do my best to overcome this, and so far it's never stopped me yet.
I love a view and to just sit there and say wow.
Before we retire we want to see the canyons in the USA, iwant to see the bridge down in France can't pronounce it but it's bloody big, the massive region in France too. Ayres rock, amazing night skies, simple things to me and to take that picture of where I was.
Who knows really where as long as I have Emma by my side anywhere is wonderful.

stevewool
16th February 2017, 15:45
Even though I've been to Philippines many times I never thought I would ever travel out of the UK until of course I started writing to my ex who at that time was working in Hong Kong I was 46 then and my first journey on an aircraft took place August 1989 to Hong Kong of course and from then onwards went to visit Vancouver Island in the 90's to visit my ex wife's sister. Been to Philippines many times whilst in my Previous marriage, having never contacted my ex I would never have left the country also I am so excited to fly the further the better, in fact I can honestly say the flight to me is best part of my holiday, will be booking again soon for a visit to Philippines later this year and I'm excited already:xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's a surprise I did not think you would be traveling there again.

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 15:46
You off to siquijor and dumaguete michael?Or exploring pastures new?

stevewool
16th February 2017, 15:53
I can't wait to explore the Philippines, like I have said our own car and off we go, see you in a month's time or a year to father in law,

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 15:58
I can't wait to explore the Philippines, like I have said our own car and off we go, see you in a month's time or a year to father in law,
Visit camiguin,you will thank me once you have been there,theres loads of islands,a moped is more use than a car to be honest,small backpack and off you go.

stevewool
16th February 2017, 16:03
Visit camiguin,you will thank me once you have been there,theres loads of islands,a moped is more use than a car to be honest,small backpack and off you go.

That shall be added and if it is what you say it is, I shall put the kettle on and toast that cup to you

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 16:08
I guarantee camiguin will blow you away with its natural beauty,i love that island,take a hot spring bath,relax,and just realise how lucky you are with the freedom to visit such an incredible place :smile:

stevewool
16th February 2017, 17:20
Just on Google now looking, very pretty, like you say a car is no good, so that can start at home for that trip

Michael Parnham
16th February 2017, 19:10
You off to siquijor and dumaguete michael?Or exploring pastures new?

Siquijor and Dumaguete, will also visit other places, I must admit I have a soft spot for Dumaguete because I do know a large number of People who live there all of different nationalities including Filipino, a number of them email me regularly as do Maritess family and they are always asking me to visit, so really I'm looking forward to going. Must get at least another twenty trips in.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 19:13
Dumaguete huh?I know that you remember it when lee plaza was the biggest store in town and you could walk across perdices without being run over by a tricycle and father tropa had his spaceship 2000 project :icon_lol: happy days back then :smile:

Michael Parnham
16th February 2017, 19:24
Dumaguete huh?I know that you remember it when lee plaza was the biggest store in town and you could walk across perdices without being run over by a tricycle and father tropa had his spaceship 2000 project :icon_lol: happy days back then :smile:

Couldn't agree more, and even though the roads are really busy you can still walk across without looking because all the traffic goes around you, Dumaguete is unique to the Philippines no place quite like it, the city of gentle people:smile:

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 19:26
Its a nice little city,something unique about it,if ever your at a loss for something ro do and have a spare hour pop into sillimans anthropological museum,they have a witchcraft section from siquijor,its interesting :smile:

stevewool
16th February 2017, 19:29
Siquijor and Dumaguete, will also visit other places, I must admit I have a soft spot for Dumaguete because I do know a large number of People who live there all of different nationalities including Filipino, a number of them email me regularly as do Maritess family and they are always asking me to visit, so really I'm looking forward to going. Must get at least another twenty trips in.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You said Dumaguete was a dirty place so why visit it again, just asking

Michael Parnham
16th February 2017, 19:36
Its a nice little city,something unique about it,if ever your at a loss for something ro do and have a spare hour pop into sillimans anthropological museum,they have a witchcraft section from siquijor,its interesting :smile:
I married the witchcraft section:biggrin: but seriously, I may do that even though I'm not superstitious:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
16th February 2017, 19:39
You said Dumaguete was a dirty place so why visit it again, just asking

You have to turn a blind eye Steve otherwise you wouldn't go out the house:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
16th February 2017, 19:44
You have to turn a blind eye Steve otherwise you wouldn't go out the house:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Indeed you do Michael, and by doing that the world can be a better place sometimes

stevewool
16th February 2017, 19:44
I married the witchcraft section:biggrin: but seriously, I may do that even though I'm not superstitious:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You married in the witchcraft section:Erm:

Tawi2
16th February 2017, 20:02
You married in the witchcraft section:Erm:
Its a common westerner joke in siquijor,i went to siquijor to see the witches and ended up marrying one :icon_lol:

stevewool
16th February 2017, 20:18
Its a common westerner joke in siquijor,i went to siquijor to see the witches and ended up marrying one :icon_lol:

I bet sometimes the joke was on the bloke who did marry a witch

Longweekend
16th February 2017, 20:49
There are some days that I think I married someone from that section....:omg:

Arthur Little
16th February 2017, 21:49
... booking again soon for a visit to Philippines later this year and I'm excited already :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:Hellooo: ... good on ya, Michael ... :yeahthat:'s the spirit! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
16th February 2017, 22:17
There are some days that I think I married someone from that section....:omg:

I married two , but that was another life