PDA

View Full Version : A walk around Aldi

stevewool
13th February 2017, 08:43
How can a ten minute pop to the shops turn into a 30 minutes walk about.
We have a list so all we need is a basket and in we go, the next minute i am alone with my hands full of what i thought we are needing, Emma has the basket so back up the isle i go and there she is looking at the fruits.
In the stuff goes and off again i trot, back again and she is still at the fruit and veg now and the baskets is full, back to get another basket and i had to say something, " Why are you smelling most of the fruit and veg", to make sure its fresh she said.
Has anyone else had this , plus when we got to the counter i had gave Ems a £20 note but it came to more so as i was packing i gave her my wallet and yes she took out £30 to pay for it, where was the £ 20 i gave , lost in the purse of Ems .

SimonH
13th February 2017, 08:57
There is a cheat to this as Aldi do not use a use by or sell by date on their fruit and veg.

However there is a 4 digit code, the first 2 are a week code followed by a day code. So 0506 would mean it's picked on the Saturday of the 5th week, always choose the highest number and you know you're getting the freshest produce.

stevewool
13th February 2017, 09:16
There is a cheat to this as Aldi do not use a use by or sell by date on their fruit and veg.

However there is a 4 digit code, the first 2 are a week code followed by a day code. So 0506 would mean it's picked on the Saturday of the 5th week, always choose the highest number and you know you're getting the freshest produce.

I did not know that at all, rather then smelling the item we can just look up the code.

Janedan0913
19th February 2017, 02:01

Hi. Thanks for this one. We normally do our food shopping when I am off from work. We are a family of 5. We get 2 trolleys, one for the shopping bags and our little boys likes riding this trolleys. We don't have a list as we know what we just need, it is my husband who gets anything that is not supposw to be in the shopping. Our normal weekly food shopping just costs in between £60-70.
Again, thanks for that advice, we might check that everytime we shop.

stevewool
19th February 2017, 10:18
it is my husband who gets anything that is not supposw to be in the shopping.

He is not alone :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Longweekend
19th February 2017, 10:45
it is my husband who gets anything that is not supposw to be in the shopping.

He is not alone :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A mans prerogative....:biggrin:

Terpe
19th February 2017, 14:58
I used to drive out to visit Aldi and Lidl at Market Harborough.
Sometimes spend the afternoon browsing. Amazing the stuff they would have for sale at ridiculously low prices.

I once bought a 13 metre carbon fibre fishing pole kit at Aldi for £40
Still got it as I carried it over with me to Philippines.
Also a few other quality fishing rods, reels and equipment. All good branded stuff.

From Lidl I bought a decent MIG welding kit for just under £80
The helmet wasn't much good so needed a better one but the welder was brill and used a lot.
I gave it away before relocating here as it was rated only for 230 volts at 50 Hz
Not seen anything close to that welder spec here for less than P25k

stevewool
19th February 2017, 15:59
I used to drive out to visit Aldi and Lidl at Market Harborough.
Sometimes spend the afternoon browsing. Amazing the stuff they would have for sale at ridiculously low prices.

I once bought a 13 metre carbon fibre fishing pole kit at Aldi for £40
Still got it as I carried it over with me to Philippines.
Also a few other quality fishing rods, reels and equipment. All good branded stuff.

From Lidl I bought a decent MIG welding kit for just under £80
The helmet wasn't much good so needed a better one but the welder was brill and used a lot.
I gave it away before relocating here as it was rated only for 230 volts at 50 Hz
Not seen anything close to that welder spec here for less than P25k

I remember you mentioning that rod before, no chance of using it on the river near you

Terpe
20th February 2017, 14:03
I remember you mentioning that rod before, no chance of using it on the river near you

Using that kind of rod in Marikina on the river would draw unnecessary attention to me. Something I always seek to avoid.

Having said that, the river is actually full to bursting with Janitor fish, which I'm told is completely out of the question to eat.
Just why nobody can say anything other than because the river is dirty.

Personally I would't eat any fish from the river.
Well except for Salmon.

SimonH
20th February 2017, 14:14
Trout?

stevewool
20th February 2017, 14:32
Trout?

Face

stevewool
Is this a game

Terpe
Trout?

Yes, Trout should be OK if caught from a 'registered' source.
Not something for me as I'm not fond of trout.

Maybe regulations have changed a bit, but it was always a case of 'catch and release' from the rivers in UK.
Quite the opposite for most reservoirs and Trout fisheries which usually adopt a 'catch and keep' policy.

Terpe
20th February 2017, 14:36
Maybe regulations have changed a bit, but it was always a case of 'catch and release' from the rivers in UK.

Before leaving UK I do remember a real furore being caused by EU immigrants catching river fish by any means and eating / selling them. Especially Carp which were sought after.