PDA

View Full Version : Prices are going up

stevewool
6th February 2017, 16:02
Is it me or have other folk noticed things seem dearer in your shopping basket.
We did a big shop the other day at farmfood, and even Emma noticed that something's have gone up only a few pence but added all together it does make a Difference.
The offers like so many for £10 seems to be harved and so on.
We dpmour shopping when it is needed and shop at Aldi, wilcos and the famous farmfoods.
I wonder if it was those biscuits, chocolate bars and the Magnums that may have made the bill higher, No it was everything else.

bigmarco
6th February 2017, 22:10
Yep your right Steve and this is borne out by the fact the inflation figures have crept up the last few months.

Terpe
7th February 2017, 14:43
Prices are increasing here too..........no escape it seems

Heard today that the standard Jeepney fare will be P8 from the current P7

stevewool
7th February 2017, 15:21
Prices are increasing here too..........no escape it seems

Heard today that the standard Jeepney fare will be P8 from the current P7

Wow, it's a good job you have your bike Peter.

fred
8th February 2017, 01:53
Looking at the average shopping bill in UK (2015) of 83 Quid a week,seems about the same as 10 years ago!!
Did I get that wrong?

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 07:10
Looking at the average shopping bill in UK (2015) of 83 Quid a week,seems about the same as 10 years ago!!
Did I get that wrong?

For me personally I pay about £40 per calendar month on food shopping:smile:

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 07:30

£40 per MONTH??How do you manage to budget to that level michael?A guy i work with went to harrods at the weekend and spent around £500 on oysters and champagne in the food court for him and his wife,thatbwould have kept you fed for a YEAR :yikes: (he also spent £1500 on a pair of shoes for her :laugher: ).

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 07:42
If you want a breakdown I can give you one also I will mention I have some cracking roast dinners and a proper different breakfast every day, it's so easy really. I still eat the same as we used to eat in the 1940's:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 07:43
£40 per MONTH??How do you manage to budget to that level michael?A guy i work with went to harrods at the weekend and spent around £500 on oysters and champagne in the food court for him and his wife,thatbwould have kept you fed for a YEAR :yikes: (he also spent £1500 on a pair of shoes for her :laugher: ).

Never had an oyster:cwm25:

stevewool
8th February 2017, 07:46
If you want a breakdown I can give you one also I will mention I have some cracking roast dinners and a proper different breakfast every day, it's so easy really. I still eat the same as we used to eat in the 1940's:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I need to see this break down on your bill of £40 per calendar month on food shopping.also i bet you are glad some months are shorter then others.

stevewool
8th February 2017, 07:51
Did I get that wrong?

Years ago we used to spend more the we should have and thrown away way to much too, but now we shop wise, its very rare we throw anything away.
We could live on a lot less then that amount and we do, i am lucky the 2 kids buy there own junk food most days and only at the end of the money they may see whats in the fridge or freezer, they have even been known to open a can of beans and switch the toaster on, now thats amazing .

stevewool
8th February 2017, 07:54

Some people spend way to much and some people seem to have to go to the same shops because of that shops name to get there food or cloths, they dont know there is another world of shops out there, but if they can afford it why not.
Dont mention handbags and there cost ,

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 07:58
Never had an oyster:cwm25:

Next time your on isla del fuego visit sandugan,near kiwi dive,theres a fisherman will get you a bag-full for 300 peso,stick them on a bit of corrugated sheeting over the embers of a fire and add a bit of calamansi,or just eat them fresh and raw.

stevewool
8th February 2017, 08:23
Next time your on isla del fuego visit sandugan,near kiwi dive,theres a fisherman will get you a bag-full for 300 peso,stick them on a bit of corrugated sheeting over the embers of a fire and add a bit of calamansi,or just eat them fresh and raw.

Many many years ago we was in Cancale France, and the oysters there are fantastic, picked fresh and just buy what you are wanting and eat straight away.
My son who was around 8 then tried them and this one oyster must have gone down his throat and back again so many times it ended up warm, he would not give in but everytime he tried to swallow it he wrench it back up, the seagulls was following him for a long time that morning waiting.

Longweekend
8th February 2017, 09:56

Michael, please let us know how you do this? my son is at Uni and I send him £200.00 per month and he says he struggles on that....

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 10:19
Michael, please let us know how you do this? my son is at Uni and I send him £200.00 per month and he says he struggles on that....
My sons at uni,kids have it hard,but they are inventive when it comes to cheap recipes,pastas and stuff.

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 10:42
Never had pasta apart from tinned spaghetti, will give you a breakdown later today and I just hope he can cook because I've never met anyone in my life who knows how to boil an egg properly yet:Erm:

stevewool
8th February 2017, 11:21

Works out around £1.31 each day, this is going to be interesting.how to feed yourself or a family of 4 on this amount

stevewool
8th February 2017, 11:23
My sons at uni,kids have it hard,but they are inventive when it comes to cheap recipes,pastas and stuff.

And sharing helps too when trying to budget,

stevewool
8th February 2017, 11:34
Never had pasta apart from tinned spaghetti, will give you a breakdown later today and I just hope he can cook because I've never met anyone in my life who knows how to boil an egg properly yet:Erm:

Last time I boiled a egg it turned into a right mess, I heated the water and placed the egg into the water on a spoon, I waited for 2 minutes and then emptied the water then ran the cold water into the pan to cool the egg,
I then placed the egg in the egg cup then removed the outter wrapping, and there was all the mess,
These cadburys cream eggs are useless hard boiled.

stevewool
8th February 2017, 11:34

Last time I boiled a egg it turned into a right mess, I heated the water and placed the egg into the water on a spoon, I waited for 2 minutes and then emptied the water then ran the cold water into the pan to cool the egg,
I then placed the egg in the egg cup then removed the outter wrapping, and there was all the mess,
These cadburys cream eggs are useless hard boiled.

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 11:43
Works out around £1.31 each day, this is going to be interesting.how to feed yourself or a family of 4 on this amount
I went into town at the weekend,bought a newspaper,had 2 coffees and a bit of cheesecake,that was £12 gone,anyone who can survive on £1.31 a day i take my hat off to them,thats hardcore budgetting.

stevewool
8th February 2017, 12:00
I went into town at the weekend,bought a newspaper,had 2 coffees and a bit of cheesecake,that was £12 gone,anyone who can survive on £1.31 a day i take my hat off to them,thats hardcore budgetting.

Depends if you are budgeting for yourself which is still very good , but for a family of either 2/3 or maybe 4 people , I think you should change your name to Mr yellow label, or even Mr just past the sell by date, which is still ok to eat in my eyes,

stevewool
8th February 2017, 13:51

I am sure you have been in the Philippines to long in your life time, you are spending 9 days worth of food money all in one day,.
What's there saying spend and eat all today, tomorrow someone will help me,:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
8th February 2017, 14:22
Meet the woman who lives on £1 a day

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/meet-woman-who-lives-1-6951458

stevewool
8th February 2017, 14:57
Meet the woman who lives on £1 a day

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/meet-woman-who-lives-1-6951458

Back to basic, when I was a young boy, most things was home made, lots of stews where made that lasted for days, lots of veg but very little meat, plus loads of home made cakes, so it can be done in some cases, but shopping at M&S and places like these, it would be very differcult. Plus fighting the other folk waiting for the discount stickers being put on,

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 15:04
As a kid i sometimes used to go to bed hungry,rumbling stomach time,because my parents liked ciggies and alcohol and my mum sisnt understand the word budget but we used to get rabbits,pheasants,hare,parteidge and salmon when the season was right,always had salmon september,and shamed to say we used to sneak out at night to a farmers field,me and my brother,maybe 11 or 12 years old in the dark,steal a bag of potato's and we had chips every night for tea following our nocturnal skulduggery,necessity is the mother of invention.

stevewool
8th February 2017, 16:04
shamed to say we used to sneak out at night to a farmers field,me and my brother,maybe 11 or 12 years old in the dark,steal a bag of potato's and we had chips every night for tea following our nocturnal skulduggery,necessity is the mother of invention.

Snap and if we wanted a pudding we would take next doors rubbarb, or apples, gooseberry infact anything that was in season and easy to get

fred
8th February 2017, 17:17
As a kid i sometimes used to go to bed hungry,rumbling stomach time,because my parents liked ciggies and alcohol and my mum sisnt understand the word budget but we used to get rabbits,pheasants,hare,parteidge and salmon when the season was right,always had salmon september,and shamed to say we used to sneak out at night to a farmers field,me and my brother,maybe 11 or 12 years old in the dark,steal a bag of potato's and we had chips every night for tea following our nocturnal skulduggery,necessity is the mother of invention.

That`s Very cool Tawi..Brings back 100 memories of the stuff me and my mates used to get away with back in the day.
Details?? Whats the point?
No one would believe me anyway!

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 17:27
Monday breakfast, 1bowl of porridge with a tablespoon of treacle, lunch, two slices of bread and pork dripping with a little salt, dinner, toad in the hole with potatoes carrots brussel sprouts and gravy. during the day three mugs of tea and two or three glasses of water. Tuesday, breakfast, 1 boiled egg with two slices of bread and butter, lunch cup of coffee and dunk half a dozen digestives, dinner, finney haddock cooked in milk with boiled potatoes. Wednesday, breakfast 1 rasher of bacon and one fried egg with two slices of bread, lunch, cheese and onion sandwich, dinner, liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy. Thursday, breakfast French toast or eggy bread, lunch, cheese and piccalilli sandwich, dinner, sausage and veg stew cooked in slow cooker with pancake. Friday, breakfast, shredded wheat with hot milk, lunch, slice of fruit cake, dinner, roast chicken thigh with Yorkshire pudding veg and gravy. Saturday, breakfast, pancakes with treacle, lunch, hard boiled egg and tomatoe sandwich, dinner, shepherds pie. Sunday, breakfast toast and marmalade, lunch, belly pork roast dinner with veg Yorkshire pudding and gravy. There maybe slight variations some days for instance steak pie and chips for dinner. When I do my weekly shop on Friday I will give you the breakdown on the cost.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
8th February 2017, 17:41
Monday breakfast, 1bowl of porridge with a tablespoon of treacle, lunch, two slices of bread and pork dripping with a little salt, dinner, toad in the hole with potatoes carrots brussel sprouts and gravy. during the day three mugs of tea and two or three glasses of water. Tuesday, breakfast, 1 boiled egg with two slices of bread and butter, lunch cup of coffee and dunk half a dozen digestives, dinner, finney haddock cooked in milk with boiled potatoes. Wednesday, breakfast 1 rasher of bacon and one fried egg with two slices of bread, lunch, cheese and onion sandwich, dinner, liver and onions with mashed potatoes and gravy. Thursday, breakfast French toast or eggy bread, lunch, cheese and piccalilli sandwich, dinner, sausage and veg stew cooked in slow cooker with pancake. Friday, breakfast, shredded wheat with hot milk, lunch, slice of fruit cake, dinner, roast chicken thigh with Yorkshire pudding veg and gravy. Saturday, breakfast, pancakes with treacle, lunch, hard boiled egg and tomatoe sandwich, dinner, shepherds pie. Sunday, breakfast toast and marmalade, lunch, belly pork roast dinner with veg Yorkshire pudding and gravy. There maybe slight variations some days for instance steak pie and chips for dinner. When I do my weekly shop on Friday I will give you the breakdown on the cost.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers Micheal..I will definitely wait for the costs.. What about your Mrs though?? I assume you are not sharing that menu with her??

stevewool
8th February 2017, 18:39
Cheers Micheal..I will definitely wait for the costs.. What about your Mrs though?? I assume you are not sharing that menu with her??

My thoughts too, shopping and cooking just for one maybe it can be done, but if you have a wife and kid and even a lodger , well it can't be done on that amount

stevewool
8th February 2017, 20:40
That`s Very cool Tawi..Brings back 100 memories of the stuff me and my mates used to get away with back in the day.
Details?? Whats the point?
No one would believe me anyway!

I would and i am sure others would too, so tell us all.

Michael Parnham
8th February 2017, 22:40
My thoughts too, shopping and cooking just for one maybe it can be done, but if you have a wife and kid and even a lodger , well it can't be done on that amount

No only me, suits me fine because I'm treating myself to a new high end 4k Denon AV amp at the end of the month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
8th February 2017, 23:19
Snap and if we wanted a pudding we would take next doors rubbarb, or apples, gooseberry infact anything that was in season and easy to get
Our next door neighbour Mrs Foster always gave us rhubarb to eat dipped in sugar then laugh and tell us we would get worms :icon_lol: I would believe you fred,i have probably done things similar,hunger makes you do strange things i think thats why i always feel empathy with the kids in pinas,i know a little of what its like.

Arthur Little
9th February 2017, 00:12
A guy i work with went to harrods at the weekend and spent around £500 on oysters and champagne in the food court for him and his wife,thatbwould have kept you fed for a YEAR :yikes: (he also spent £1500 on a pair of shoes for her :laugher:).

:yeahthat:'s absolutely gross! :omg: ... clearly some folk have far more money than sense. :icon_rolleyes:

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 00:26
Au contraire,he has to have the sense to make the money :wink: could be worse,his wife wants another baby and was eyeing up a silvercross pram in harrods thats a snip at £42000 :yikes:

Arthur Little
9th February 2017, 00:55
For me personally I pay about £40 per calendar month on food shopping :smile:

Don't know how you do it, Michael ... :anerikke: ... even supposing you are feeding only yourself. But, well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
9th February 2017, 01:49

Where's the rice, you're married to a Filipino so there has to be rice :D

stevewool
9th February 2017, 07:40
Au contraire,he has to have the sense to make the money :wink: could be worse,his wife wants another baby and was eyeing up a silvercross pram in harrods thats a snip at £42000 :yikes:

That was our first pram, the silvercross and i am sure at the time we brought it some 37 years ago is was a lot of money then but i am sure we got change from £50.

stevewool
9th February 2017, 07:49
Buying food for yourself on £ 40 per calendar month must be hard and there must be so many repeated dishes and wasting nothing from yesterdays food, i am not saying it cant be done at all, but adding a whopping 50% it would make it easy for me.
Good luck if this is what you are wanting buying your own food, but i must admit there are certain foods i dont eat what Emma buys so maybe your partner dont like anything you buy too and the other way round.
Be interesting what your budget is for the household bills and everyday stuff, or again do you just buy and pay your own way in life .

stevewool
9th February 2017, 07:51
Where's the rice, you're married to a Filipino so there has to be rice :D

I do like rice, but i have finely convince Emma that we don't need a plate full every time we have it, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 09:12
That was our first pram, the silvercross and i am sure at the time we brought it some 37 years ago is was a lot of money then but i am sure we got change from £50.
Yes,they are quality,Harrods have a bespoke one in for 42 grand,i told my mate he should have bought it as the colour matches his rolex :icon_lol: I cant even afford a timex :bigcry:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 09:32
Yes,they are quality,Harrods have a bespoke one in for 42 grand,i told my mate he should have bought it as the colour matches his rolex :icon_lol: I cant even afford a timex :bigcry:

This is the difference, some folk have so much and spend it on silly things in our minds, but in there minds it's the best.
I have a named watch something like a tag huer, not spelled that way or is it, that's why it's cheap, cost me under £8 Severn years ago in the Philippines and it still works, .
So just like your friends watch it does the same job but cheaper for me.

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 09:37
This is the difference, some folk have so much and spend it on silly things in our minds, but in there minds it's the best.
I have a named watch something like a tag huer, not spelled that way or is it, that's why it's cheap, cost me under £8 Severn years ago in the Philippines and it still works, .
Its all relative to earnings mate,it doesnt make people better or worse,if wayne rooney wanted to buy a 100 grand watch it doesnt even register a blip on his bank balance,my mate said there was lots of arabs and chinese in harrods,oil money and super rich new money,they can spend 100k and its like you or me spending a tenner.

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 09:39
Buying food for yourself on £ 40 per calendar month must be hard and there must be so many repeated dishes and wasting nothing from yesterdays food, i am not saying it cant be done at all, but adding a whopping 50% it would make it easy for me.
Good luck if this is what you are wanting buying your own food, but i must admit there are certain foods i dont eat what Emma buys so maybe your partner dont like anything you buy too and the other way round.
Be interesting what your budget is for the household bills and everyday stuff, or again do you just buy and pay your own way in life .

Never waste any food, never reheat anything, never eat anything other than English food as I know it, never eat out never had a take away, never bought a Costa coffee, I think I eat very well and it's how I've eaten all my life so to me it's very normal, sometimes I buy a bar of chocolate and it will last three weeks because to me things like that are a luxury, never bought actual sweets because as a child I was taught that I would have no teeth and that's turned out true because I have lovely teeth still. Regarding rice, had it on odd occasion, must admit when in Philippines I did have things like rice with beef steak or chicken also the odd Kentucky but didn't have a lot of choice really and I think that's the only time I've had to buy food out. During my working life when I was driving for my living I did buy food in transport cafe's but all they sold in those days were proper breakfasts and dinners and that was perfect for me, I do like fish and chips but only have them once or twice a year food to me is not a priority it's a necessity, must add I may have a fizzy drink a couple of times a year, when I walk round a shop or supermarket and see things like chocolate cake and other tempting luxuries I have the will power to ignore that kind of stuff because it's not needed to keep me alive and healthy. When I was married to my ex most Philipina friends and visitors used to say we were rich because we went to Philippines twice a year and bought a new car every year went on a nice Cornish holiday every year, had a nice immaculate furnished home and we were on less income than these people it was because me and my ex were always very careful with money because she wouldn't spend a penny and we always saved to pay cash for anything and everything never any credit at all, the moral of this kind of life is that it's what you don't spend that's important in life.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 10:00
Never waste any food, never reheat anything, never eat anything other than English food as I know it, never eat out never had a take away, never bought a Costa coffee, I think I eat very well and it's how I've eaten all my life so to me it's very normal, sometimes I buy a bar of chocolate and it will last three weeks because to me things like that are a luxury, never bought actual sweets because as a child I was taught that I would have no teeth and that's turned out true because I have lovely teeth still. Regarding rice, had it on odd occasion, must admit when in Philippines I did have things like rice with beef steak or chicken also the odd Kentucky but didn't have a lot of choice really and I think that's the only time I've had to buy food out. During my working life when I was driving for my living I did buy food in transport cafe's but all they sold in those days were proper breakfasts and dinners and that was perfect for me, I do like fish and chips but only have them once or twice a year food to me is not a priority it's a necessity, must add I may have a fizzy drink a couple of times a year, when I walk round a shop or supermarket and see things like chocolate cake and other tempting luxuries I have the will power to ignore that kind of stuff because it's not needed to keep me alive and healthy. When I was married to my ex most Philipina friends and visitors used to say we were rich because we went to Philippines twice a year and bought a new car every year went on a nice Cornish holiday every year, had a nice immaculate furnished home and we were on less income than these people it was because me and my ex were always very careful with money because she wouldn't spend a penny and we always saved to pay cash for anything and everything never any credit at all, the moral of this kind of life is that it's what you don't spend that's important in life.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well said Michael, so with all this Found wealth you have and all the new gagets that you are buying and wanting , I hope you have someone to share all this with, because to me it sounds like you are a lonely person, but happy in your life, good luck is all I can add

SimonH
9th February 2017, 10:08

Some people may call it a waste where as others look at is an an investment. A stainless steel Rolex is probably one of the best investments anyone can make.
I've bought quite a few and always sold at a profit, in fact my daily watch is a Rolex Deepsea bought about 5 years ago for just over £5000, retails now at over £9000 and still worth second hand more than I paid for it new.

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 10:12
Some people may call it a waste where as others look at is an an investment. A stainless steel Rolex is probably one of the best investments anyone can make.
I've bought quite a few and always sold at a profit, in fact my daily watch is a Rolex Deepsea bought about 5 years ago for just over £5000, retails now at over £9000 and still worth second hand more than I paid for it new.
My roley in the shop at just over 9,I paid around 7 1/2 for it,they went up 10% last year,i always consider them investments.

SimonH
9th February 2017, 10:18
My roley in the shop at just over 9,I paid around 7 1/2 for it,they went up 10% last year,i always consider them investments.

Find a new ceramic Daytona at a retailer at list price and I'll give anyone £1000 more than they paid for it.
Or do the research yourself and make at least £3000 by selling it to a collector :)

stevewool
9th February 2017, 10:27
No only me, suits me fine because I'm treating myself to a new high end 4k Denon AV amp at the end of the month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A packet of rich tea biscuits sounds better to me

SimonH
9th February 2017, 10:30

Sorry Michael, but this sounds totally crazy to me.

You're saying you'd never treat yourself to a meal out or a take away, in fact any kind of so called luxury so you could have a brand new car depreciating money every year and a couple of holidays?

Takes all sorts, not for me though. I'd rather sacrifice the new car and enjoy my other 'luxuries'

Longweekend
9th February 2017, 10:38
Simon, the retail price of a Daytona C is £15,999, if you are a member of the Rolex forum you will see today there is a brand new one for sale at $16,000 or best offer....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
9th February 2017, 10:59
Simon, the retail price of a Daytona C is £15,999, if you are a member of the Rolex forum you will see today there is a brand new one for sale at $16,000 or best offer....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not sure what model you're looking at but the retail on the new ceramic Daytona is 12800 Swiss Francs or roughly £10000

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 11:29
Sorry Michael, but this sounds totally crazy to me.

You're saying you'd never treat yourself to a meal out or a take away, in fact any kind of so called luxury so you could have a brand new car depreciating money every year and a couple of holidays?

Takes all sorts, not for me though. I'd rather sacrifice the new car and enjoy my other 'luxuries'

I don't consider food a luxury, but an REL sub at a couple of grand is a luxury to me, a Smeg fridge or a Melie washing machine is a luxury to me, Being able to walk 5 mile a day at my age in good health is a luxury to me luxurious food is what shortens your life, is that really luxury?

SimonH
9th February 2017, 11:38
I don't consider food a luxury, but an REL sub at a couple of grand is a luxury to me, a Smeg fridge or a Melie washing machine is a luxury to me, Being able to walk 5 mile a day at my age in good health is a luxury to me luxurious food is what shortens your life, is that really luxury?

A Smeg fridge or meile washing machine are wise investment as both will last a lifetime. However saying the only pasta you've ever eatien is tinned spaghetti and also saying you bought a new car every year is totally alien to me. Each to their own my friend but I enjoy a Chinese take away every now and again over a new car every year.

Terpe
9th February 2017, 11:50

Apologies for the off-topic......here in the Philippines Timex watches are highly regarded.
My first watch was a timex. Mum bought it for me and I know she struggled to buy it. That was over 55 years ago.I still have it and it still works great. Such sentimental value.

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 11:54
A Smeg fridge or meile washing machine are wise investment as both will last a lifetime. However saying the only pasta you've ever eatien is tinned spaghetti and also saying you bought a new car every year is totally alien to me. Each to their own my friend but I enjoy a Chinese take away every now and again over a new car every year.

I'm not adventurous with food at all I'll only eat what I know, can't stand the smell of Garlic and spices whiskey or any alcohol and most foods from other countries, but I do like good quality things I notice someone has been talking high end watches that's good, I like everything to be in place I'm obsessed with everything looking new and tidy can't stand clutter.

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 12:01
Apologies for the off-topic......here in the Philippines Timex watches are highly regarded.
My first watch was a timex. Mum bought it for me and I know she struggled to buy it. That was over 55 years ago.I still have it and it still works great. Such sentimental value.

Used to have a Timex at around the time you had yours Peter, I believe they were manufactured in Dundee, but in recent years moved to Asia, terrific watches and mine must have lasted me 25 or 30 years, had many straps though and it wound up:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 12:04
I wonder what was in that tin of spaghetti , preservatives, colouring, starch, and God knows what else.

Terpe
9th February 2017, 12:04
Thanks Michael for sharing that information. Well done.

As for me...well I'm still a foodie even at my age.
We often eat out. Sometimes we'll go to our local Vikings Buffet at P2000 for us both.
I do also enjoy a wonderful bottle of fine wine with some good cheese, crackers and celery or fruits.

We are all different and spend our limited income on what makes us most happy.

Longweekend
9th February 2017, 12:09
Simon, here are some that are around the £15k mark....
http://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/prices-for-daytona-watches--mod2-new.htm

stevewool
9th February 2017, 12:11

We are all different in our views and what someone considers a luxury, others think a waste of money, good quality food cooked right is a luxury and is affordable too.
Every thing else many may say you are just showing off, but it's down to each of us to what we think is right.
Luxury food does not shorten life, worry , accidents and old age does it quicker

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 12:12
I love cheese Peter my Favourite is white Cheshire lovely with Pickled walnuts and Pickled Onions, yummy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
9th February 2017, 12:14
Thanks Michael for sharing that information. Well done.

As for me...well I'm still a foodie even at my age.
We often eat out. Sometimes we'll go to our local Vikings Buffet at P2000 for us both.
I do also enjoy a wonderful bottle of fine wine with some good cheese, crackers and celery or fruits.

We are all different and spend our limited income on what makes us most happy..

2000 :yikes: that's 3 weeks food supply for Michael.

No I didn't buy 2 rib eyes yesterday for 1200 and neither did I go to the local steak house and spend over 4000 on a steak and lobster meal for 2 :wink:

Longweekend
9th February 2017, 12:14
As others have said each to their own, but for me life is too short to live like that, my wife and I enjoy wine, eating out and plenty of luxuries, Oh and a new car would never be on my list of requirements, we have 2 decent vehicles but would not waste my money buying new as soon as you drive off the sales floor you have lost thousands....:NoNo:

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 12:17
By the way liked your choice of Amp Peter, Pioneer great choice, I'm just waiting to see the price and release date of their new UHD Blue ray player I understand it will weigh approx. 12 kilo's sounds as though it will be a well engineered piece of kit:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 12:19
We are all different in our views and what someone considers a luxury, others think a waste of money, good quality food cooked right is a luxury and is affordable too.
Every thing else many may say you are just showing off, but it's down to each of us to what we think is right.
Luxury food does not shorten life, worry , accidents and old age does it quicker

Luckily I'm not suffering from any of those:biggrin:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 12:22
Maybe not buying a new car but leasing a new car each year is better then spending that money on more teabags and a bigger bar of chocolate.
But in my eyes paying so much each month on a car that sits there most of the time well I can spend that cash on better things like my future.
But again each to there own, what's good for one is no good for the other they say.

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 12:22
I wonder what was in that tin of spaghetti , preservatives, colouring, starch, and God knows what else.

Only had half a dozen small tins in my lifetime:wink:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 12:25
Luckily I'm not suffering from any of those:biggrin:

Wake up WAKE UP

SimonH
9th February 2017, 12:35
Sorry again Michael, but the way you prioritise your life is crazy to me.

Who exactly are you trying to impress with your new car and expensive TV and audio equipment? Nothing wrong with having all these little luxuries but sacrificing a nice meal to obtain these things is absolute madness in my opinion.

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 12:46
I am going to the gym in a minute,i want to go for a starbucks after.......But i feel guilty now :icon_lol:

Trefor
9th February 2017, 13:00
I am going to the gym in a minute,i want to go for a starbucks after.......But i feel guilty now :icon_lol:

The Starbucks balances the good done at the gym. Do it.

I'm going to the gym now too (but I don't drink tea or coffee ...).

Tawi2
9th February 2017, 13:06
I burn off more calories than a latte,i dont drink,dont smoke,dont eat junk,and excercise almost daily,that latte is my one vice :biggrin:

Terpe
9th February 2017, 13:12
It's just around the corner for us Eastwood City Libis

Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's famous for it's Midnight Buffet, anyway they do a bucket of 5 bottles of San Mig for P240 with one dozen oyster free. Yes, 12 large juicy tasty oysters free.

:hubbahubba:

SimonH
9th February 2017, 13:18
It's just around the corner for us Eastwood City Libis

Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it's famous for it's Midnight Buffet, anyway they do a bucket of 5 bottles of San Mig for P240 with one dozen oyster free. Yes, 12 large juicy tasty oysters free.

On my way :D

Terpe
9th February 2017, 13:23
For what it's worth ( especially for those statisticians ) here's what the Office for National Statistics have developed for their Family Spending Survey 2015:-

The poorest 20% in the 50 - 64 age group spend £25 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £165.30

The poorest 20% in the 65 - 74 age group spend £30.46 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £173.10

The poorest 20% in the 75 upwards age group spend £27.36 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £152.10

Terpe
9th February 2017, 13:24
For what it's worth ( especially for those statisticians ) here's what the Office for National Statistics have developed for their Family Spending Survey 2015:-

The poorest 20% in the 50 - 64 age group spend £25 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £165.30

The poorest 20% in the 65 - 74 age group spend £30.46 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £173.10

The poorest 20% in the 75 upwards age group spend £27.36 per week per adult on Food and non-alcoholic drinks
Their total weekly spend on living is £152.10

Means you'd find it very hard to survive if the only income was your state pension

stevewool
9th February 2017, 13:35
Means you'd find it very hard to survive if the only income was your state pension

And put on that , rent, car payments, gadgets fund, no wonder some spend so little on food

Arthur Little
9th February 2017, 13:58
A guy i work with went to harrods at the weekend and spent around £500 on oysters and champagne in the food court for him and his wife :yikes:

:olddude: ... cannot recall ever having sampled oysters. :nono-1-1: ... but I will say this: :yeahthat: price you've quoted Peter, is, most certainly,
an extremely far cry from Tawi's work colleague's :crazy: extravagance in Harrods of Knightsbridge ... for what seems [to me anyway] to be much the same, so~called, delicacy.

Terpe
9th February 2017, 14:43
:olddude: ... cannot recall ever having sampled oysters. :nono-1-1: ... but I will say this: :yeahthat: price you've quoted Peter, is, most certainly,
an extremely far cry from Tawi's work colleague's :crazy: extravagance in Harrods of Knightsbridge ... for what seems [to me anyway] to be much the same, so~called, delicacy.

I have a weakness for Wagyu beef.
Have done ever since I first sampled it whilst living in Japan.

It's a specific group of cattle breeds and in Japan the cows are fanatically looked after, Not just the food either. They get treated to special massage and listening to music.

Wagyu beef is always more expensive.
If it's genuine Japanese production from the 'right' farm you might end up paying £300 per pound.
I can't afford to pay that but Wagyu beef is always expensive.

stevewool
9th February 2017, 15:34
Well many know me by now and some say I am tight, well I say I am careful,
I am not into all this fancy food stuff what ever you call it and I hate paying over the odds too, but there are sometimes when Emma would like something special then I pay no questions asked, because she cooks and looks after me very well..
I like simple good food and I am not to keen on any meats, home made soups I love..
I used to cook all the time in my own lonely life, but since Emma has been with me I cannot match her way of cooking and I will always eat what she puts on my plate too, sometimes never to try it again but that's very rare.

stevewool
9th February 2017, 15:38
Only had half a dozen small tins in my lifetime:wink:

Wow I wish just 6 little cans would last me 70+ years, how did you manage that , 1 hoop at a time or was they lenths

Michael Parnham
9th February 2017, 18:16
Sorry again Michael, but the way you prioritise your life is crazy to me.
Who exactly are you trying to impress with your new car and expensive TV and audio equipment? Nothing wrong with having all these little luxuries but sacrificing a nice meal to obtain these things is absolute madness in my opinion.

Simon I am not sacrificing a nice meal all my meals are nice to me, all I'm saying is I would rather put my money in to the things that I like I'm not trying to impress anyone. Are you saying that a cracking roast dinner isn't nice, a lovely boiled egg with bread and butter cut into phallic symbols for breakfast isn't nice, a nice slice of bread and yummy pork dripping with a little salt isn't nice? to me it's nectar.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th February 2017, 19:30
Simon I am not sacrificing a nice meal all my meals are nice to me, all I'm saying is I would rather put my money in to the things that I like I'm not trying to impress anyone. Are you saying that a cracking roast dinner isn't nice, a lovely boiled egg with bread and butter cut into phallic symbols for breakfast isn't nice, a nice slice of bread and yummy pork dripping with a little salt isn't nice? to me it's nectar.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cooking and sharing a meal is the best thing out what ever the food,
A knuckle with a cabbage leaf and 1 potato sounds nice after reading your menu's.

stevewool
9th February 2017, 21:06

And so you should, have you heard of a thermos :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
10th February 2017, 14:20
Weekly shop as promised ex Aldi, Cauliflower 0.89, 1.5kg Stew Pack 0.39, Tomatoes six 0.65, Sugar 0.55, Digestive biscuits 0.31, Rich Tea biscuits 0.29, 1 Mango 0.95, Baby Potatoes 0.79, two tins of Sardines @ 0.37 each, Luxury Hot Cross Buns 4 per pack 0.99, Lightly Fruited Slab Cake 0.99, Breakfast Biscuits 0.89, 1Pack of Streaky Bacon 1.29, total £10.72:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
10th February 2017, 14:32
Weekly shop as promised ex Aldi, Cauliflower 0.89, 1.5kg Stew Pack 0.39, Tomatoes six 0.65, Sugar 0.55, Digestive biscuits 0.31, Rich Tea biscuits 0.29, 1 Mango 0.95, Baby Potatoes 0.79, two tins of Sardines @ 0.37 each, Luxury Hot Cross Buns 4 per pack 0.99, Lightly Fruited Slab Cake 0.99, Breakfast Biscuits 0.89, 1Pack of Streaky Bacon 1.29, total £10.72:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Michael you have a lot more self-control than most folks,i dont touch bacon or biscuits or cake or anything with sugar in,but i always overload on yoghurts,cheeses,fruit etc,well done,whats your weight if you dont mind me asking?

stevewool
10th February 2017, 14:37

Well well WELL,
Thank you for your list Michael, but I must say there is more crap that you have brought that I thought you would never buy,
Luxury hot cross buns LUXURY , biscuits with a S, cake too.
Where is your pork belly, where is your sausage, your bread, your eggs, tea, coffee, cheese,dripping, and no meat what so ever in your weekly shopping list.
Yes many things may be brought other weeks instead of cake.
But really you have brought basic food for one person, I call this just serviving ,
Maybe all these Goodie's that you are wanting the material things are much more important to you .
But again I must say what suits some will not suit another.

Michael Parnham
10th February 2017, 15:01
Michael you have a lot more self-control than most folks,i dont touch bacon or biscuits or cake or anything with sugar in,but i always overload on yoghurts,cheeses,fruit etc,well done,whats your weight if you dont mind me asking?

11 stone 7 pounds been more or less the same since I was about 18 years old, but when I lived in Dumaguete I was only 10 stone 3pounds and felt really great I'm 5ft 10inches tall.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
10th February 2017, 15:06
Thank you michael,you sound in good shape,not under nor overweight,your obviously doing something right and long may you continue to do so :smile: i told tou before i think i might have actually met you outside the ticket office at the wharfe in larena early one morning buying a ticket for dumaguette or cebu :smile:

Michael Parnham
10th February 2017, 15:19
Well well WELL,
Thank you for your list Michael, but I must say there is more crap that you have brought that I thought you would never buy,
Luxury hot cross buns LUXURY , biscuits with a S, cake too.
Where is your pork belly, where is your sausage, your bread, your eggs, tea, coffee, cheese,dripping, and no meat what so ever in your weekly shopping list.
Yes many things may be brought other weeks instead of cake.
But really you have brought basic food for one person, I call this just serviving ,
Maybe all these Goodie's that you are wanting the material things are much more important to you .
But again I must say what suits some will not suit another.

Next Friday I will need Butter, Milk, Tea bags, maybe some eggs because like for example what I buy each week lasts possibly two weeks so I don't buy the same every week. End of September last year I bought some frozen Finny haddock I bought three packs from Farmfoods for a total of £10 next week I will be eating the last piece there were six pieces in each pack, so for the next 5 Fridays I will put my list on here, I will need bread next week because three Wholemeal loafs last two weeks and they only cost 0.36 each, I can assure you I do eat well and I won't starve, you see I don't buy Ice cream or anything like that because to me it's a luxury for special occasions in fact I think I've only had Ice cream once since 2014 and that was when we were in Cornwall:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
10th February 2017, 15:26
Next Friday I will need Butter, Milk, Tea bags, maybe some eggs because like for example what I buy each week lasts possibly two weeks so I don't buy the same every week. End of September last year I bought some frozen Finny haddock I bought three packs from Farmfoods for a total of £10 next week I will be eating the last piece there were six pieces in each pack, so for the next 5 Fridays I will put my list on here, I will need bread next week because three Wholemeal loafs last two weeks and they only cost 0.36 each, I can assure you I do eat well and I won't starve, you see I don't buy Ice cream or anything like that because to me it's a luxury for special occasions in fact I think I've only had Ice cream once since 2014 and that was when we were in Cornwall:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well like I said what's good for one maybe is not good for another person.
I could not live the way you live your life ,just like you could not live mine,

Michael Parnham
10th February 2017, 15:42
Thank you michael,you sound in good shape,not under nor overweight,your obviously doing something right and long may you continue to do so :smile: i told tou before i think i might have actually met you outside the ticket office at the wharfe in larena early one morning buying a ticket for dumaguette or cebu :smile:

Thank you, I will say I hope to be around another 20 years yet, never know we may meet again:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jeff in phils
11th February 2017, 19:04
My wife and I spend 130 USD per week at the grocery store.. She just HAS to have her veggies and fruits. That's good to eat healthy, but we have to find some cheaper meals thrown in there. Eggs and rice are our only saviour from having a 200 dollar weekly bill. Haha... Hopefully we will be living in the Phils by next Christmas though..

Tawi2
11th February 2017, 19:55
How much is a chowking or a jollibee nowadays?

stevewool
11th February 2017, 20:01
End of September last year I bought some frozen Finny haddock I bought three packs from Farmfoods for a total of £10 ,
THE BUDGETS BLOWN NEARLY.

stevewool
11th February 2017, 20:03
My wife and I spend 130 USD per week at the grocery store.. She just HAS to have her veggies and fruits. That's good to eat healthy, but we have to find some cheaper meals thrown in there. Eggs and rice are our only saviour from having a 200 dollar weekly bill. Haha... Hopefully we will be living in the Phils by next Christmas though..

Do they sell pork dripping fat where you are Jeff.

stevewool
11th February 2017, 20:03

Depends who is paying, and who you are with

Tawi2
11th February 2017, 20:07
Depends who is paying, and who you are with
I dont think anyones ever actually bought me one,but chowking braised beef was always my convenience food of choice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
11th February 2017, 20:19
I dont think anyones ever actually bought me one,but chowking braised beef was always my convenience food of choice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Like you i dont think anyone has brought me one too, but i bet i have brought many without knowing it, "you just sit down there with the kids i shall get your rice and chicken breast, but give me your wallet" Emma tells me.

Terpe
13th February 2017, 13:35

Both have 'meals' starting at P50
However, on average expect to pay between P50-P100 per adult.

We often have Korean Bimbimbap at P119. It's a good enough amount even for me. Sometimes my wife can't finish hers.

A pizza is quite expensive here and averages around P350-P400 for a 12" version.
Personally I like Shakeys best but we don't pizza often.
Best quality Pizza is probably from S&R shopping or S&R New York Pizza IMHO

I used to enjoy Chowking but not any more. Just doesn't taste the slightest bit healthy.
Jollibee spaghetti is OK if you're really hungry.