PDA

View Full Version : Long term stay in the Phils

stevewool
6th February 2017, 08:19
Well a few of our members have been making the Phils there home for the last year and even the last few months .
So any stories to tell us ,advice to give us who are still thinking bout it.
I am sure you should have had enough experience to say its what you are wanting or not wanting.
It would be interesting to hear a few views from the few of you, thats if you have the time .

Tawi2
6th February 2017, 08:31
I have stayed there a few times for periods of up to a year,it is what it is,interesting that i know quite a number of guys over the years who have moved there for good but are now back in the uk,it suits some and not others is my take on it.

stevewool
6th February 2017, 08:45
Just a month for me and that was holiday mode too, so i cant say i have lived there at all.

fred
6th February 2017, 08:52
Took about 3/4 years till I could really say I was "home".. Those first 3/4 years I was in holiday mode!

Tawi2
6th February 2017, 09:04
Is your jewish lodger still there fred?Did he ever find the love of his life?

stevewool
6th February 2017, 09:05
Took about 3/4 years till I could really say I was "home".. Those first 3/4 years I was in holiday mode!

So Fred the first few years in your holiday mode , did you spend the cash too like being on holiday or did you still have to go without or did you have unlimited funds to live that way

fred
6th February 2017, 12:27
So Fred the first few years in your holiday mode , did you spend the cash too like being on holiday or did you still have to go without or did you have unlimited funds to live that way

The UK was like living in purgatory for me Steve ,so every day here for me since then is like heaven to be honest.
No need to spend lots of money..Just wake up every morning (or afternoon) and think how lucky I am.
Must admit,we have been kind of lucky with business here so income is not something I have to worry about too much..
We spend plenty,but that because we are responsible for quite a few people these days..
Kids are still in university so that adds up the expenses and I reckon they will stay on to do master degrees.
One day when they actually get jobs, the Mrs and I will start travelling again..Till then,enjoy one day at a time!

stevewool
6th February 2017, 12:54
The UK was like living in purgatory for me Steve ,so every day here for me since then is like heaven to be honest.
No need to spend lots of money..Just wake up every morning (or afternoon) and think how lucky I am.
Must admit,we have been kind of lucky with business here so income is not something I have to worry about too much..
We spend plenty,but that because we are responsible for quite a few people these days..
Kids are still in university so that adds up the expenses and I reckon they will stay on to do master degrees.
One day when they actually get jobs, the Mrs and I will start travelling again..Till then,enjoy one day at a time!

Great reply thank you Fred

Janedan0913
9th February 2017, 04:21
Let me just share you the story of my 65y/o work colleague. He went over to the Philippines to meet the woman whom he was chatting online. She was from CDO. He was there for 2 years and got married to her at that time. After 2 years in the Philippines, he went back here in UK with nothing. He was homeless. He applied for a job using his daughter's home address then got the job. To cut the story short, he comes to work very early before all the morning staff comes. He have shower and breakfast in our ward. He has been struggling. After his shift,he goes back to the bedsit where he stays most of the time
I see bringing all those big bags everytime he goes to our ward. I just feel sorry for him as they know in the Philippines that he is well of him,little they know he is struggling so much. He has to send money to his filipina wife every month. The woman decided to come over here,but my work colleague said not yet. I feel said everytime I see him. They all think that he is a rich man but opposite that his life here in England ,but no one knows how he live his day to day life.

stevewool
9th February 2017, 07:59
Let me just share you the story of my 65y/o work colleague. He went over to the Philippines to meet the woman whom he was chatting online. She was from CDO. He was there for 2 years and got married to her at that time. After 2 years in the Philippines, he went back here in UK with nothing. He was homeless. He applied for a job using his daughter's home address then got the job. To cut the story short, he comes to work very early before all the morning staff comes. He have shower and breakfast in our ward. He has been struggling. After his shift,he goes back to the bedsit where he stays most of the time
I see bringing all those big bags everytime he goes to our ward. I just feel sorry for him as they know in the Philippines that he is well of him,little they know he is struggling so much. He has to send money to his filipina wife every month. The woman decided to come over here,but my work colleague said not yet. I feel said everytime I see him. They all think that he is a rich man but opposite that his life here in England ,but no one knows how he live his day to day life.

This sounds like a very sad life to me, but its a life he has chosen at this late stage.
I cannot see his life changing for the better by what you have said, and this is why we all must plan and save and save some more again.
People dont realize being here in England where people think we are well off, you have to work very hard each day to just stay above the water, but it can be done if you work together and plan .

Terpe
9th February 2017, 14:27
As for me I've been living here in the Philippines since November 2014

From November 2014 until May 2016 we lived in wonderful Davao city
Since May 2016 we have been living in NCR. Cubao at first then here in Marikina once our house was fixed up enough to move into.
The cost of living in Mindanao is significantly lower than here in NCR but we have absolutely no regrets about our decision to move. The RoE was getting unkind and we had started to realise some of the limitations of Davao living.

I've been continually busy bringing our house up to a level we're happy with.
Still a fair way to go but there's really no rush.
I may be approaching the final lap for our dirty kitchen. (which isn't at all dirty by the way)

Being retired, and not having the time consuming effort and schedule of working, means that 'holiday feeling' never actually goes away. We're free to do pretty much what we want when we want (finances permitting)
I enjoy being busy with DIY around the house. So much better than hiring those builders who never reach the levels I want.
All schedules are of our own making.

Retirement can be daunting. For me it was. When I first made the decision to retire early in my 50's I soon realised it wasn't a good idea. I soon got bored and decided to return to the workplace. Found a nice job with HMRC and stayed until my 2nd retirement.
I was ready.

So the first step in retirement is to be sure it's what you want and what you can manage.
Moving to a completely different location and lifestyle immediately at retirement may or may not be a good thing. Depends on the person and who the person is living with. Has your partner also retired.......it does help.

I'd think about relocating for a shortish period. Not so short that it actually is a holiday but long enough to decide if it's going to be a 'stay' decision or a 'move on' decision.

The stresses of retirement and a new life in a strange country can take it's toll.

As for me, I settled pretty quickly. I done a stay of a few months a couple of times and felt that really wanted to get back and stay.

I haven't really changed my views much since I wrote this post:-
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/60141-Life-is-Good

Our quality of life continues to be better than we had in UK

I really believe that if you can live a life here without drawing attention to yourselves, be always the polite and friendly foreigner but use some common sense and awareness, then all will be well and risks at a minimum.
That in itself will instill feelings of wanting to remain longer.

Of course you'll to have the means and wherewithall to live here without it being one of those forced decisions based on something unrealistic. It's meant to a dream strategy not a nightmare one.

You must be sure that you WILL find contentment.

I've found freedom of choice, contentment and peace. What more could I ask.

I'm not suggesting you won't face stresses and frustrations, but if you have inner calm and a good partner all will be well.

Don't burn your bridges
Don't relocate for solely financial reasons
Don't force a partner to move if they don't share the same desire and commitment
Don't expect to transfer your UK life to the Philippines. Be happy to make changes.

Sorry it's a long ramble.
Hope it can provide some food for thought.

I'm so lucky to be spending my time here at this stage of my life.
It just suits me and much more importantly it suits my wife

SimonH
9th February 2017, 14:41
Great post and certainly food for thought. Thanks!

stevewool
9th February 2017, 21:02
As for me I've been living here in the Philippines since November 2014

From November 2014 until May 2016 we lived in wonderful Davao city
Since May 2016 we have been living in NCR. Cubao at first then here in Marikina once our house was fixed up enough to move into.
The cost of living in Mindanao is significantly lower than here in NCR but we have absolutely no regrets about our decision to move. The RoE was getting unkind and we had started to realise some of the limitations of Davao living.

I've been continually busy bringing our house up to a level we're happy with.
Still a fair way to go but there's really no rush.
I may be approaching the final lap for our dirty kitchen. (which isn't at all dirty by the way)

Being retired, and not having the time consuming effort and schedule of working, means that 'holiday feeling' never actually goes away. We're free to do pretty much what we want when we want (finances permitting)
I enjoy being busy with DIY around the house. So much better than hiring those builders who never reach the levels I want.
All schedules are of our own making.

Retirement can be daunting. For me it was. When I first made the decision to retire early in my 50's I soon realised it wasn't a good idea. I soon got bored and decided to return to the workplace. Found a nice job with HMRC and stayed until my 2nd retirement.
I was ready.

So the first step in retirement is to be sure it's what you want and what you can manage.
Moving to a completely different immediately at retirement may or may not be a good thing. Depends on the person and who the person is living with. Has your partner also retired.......it does help.

I'd think about relocating for a shortish period. Not so short that it actually is a holiday but long enough to decide if it's going to be a 'stay' decision or a 'move on' decision.

The stresses of retirement and a new life in a strange country can take it's toll.

As for me, I settled pretty quickly. I done a stay of a few months a couple of times and felt that really wanted to get back and stay.

I haven't really changed my views much since I wrote this post:-
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/60141-Life-is-Good

Our quality of life continues to be better than we had in UK

I really believe that if you can live a life here without drawing attention to yourselves, be always the polite and friendly foreigner but use some common sense and awareness, then all will be well and risks at a minimum.
That in itself will instill feelings of wanting to remain longer.

Of course you'll to have the means and wherewithall to live here without it being one of those forced decisions based on something unrealistic. It's meant to a dream strategy not a nightmare one.

You must be sure that you WILL find contentment.

I've found freedom of choice, contentment and peace. What more could I ask.

I'm not suggesting you won't face stresses and frustrations, but if you have inner calm and a good partner all will be well.

Don't burn your bridges
Don't relocate for solely financial reasons
Don't force a partner to move if they don't share the same desire and commitment
Don't expect to transfer your UK life to the Philippines. Be happy to make changes.

Sorry it's a long ramble.
Hope it can provide some food for thought.

I'm so lucky to be spending my time here at this stage of my life.
It just suits me and much more importantly it suits my wife

Well said Peter, lots of food for thought, but the most important one is the last, "it suits the wife".
And once Ems says she is ready i am too.
It will not be long now believe me .

Arthur Little
10th February 2017, 01:27
:olddude: ... first time I visited the Philippines, I stayed for only 3 weeks. Second time ... 3 months, and married Myrna. Would like to go back at some point - but just for a holiday. :smile: