PDA

View Full Version : Filipina hung yesterday in Kuwait.

Tawi2
26th January 2017, 19:09
:NoNo:
FILIPINA domestic helper Jakatia Pawa was executed at 10:19 a.m. in Kuwait (3:19 p.m. in Manila) despite government efforts to delay the hanging, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced on Wednesday.

Lt. Col. Angaris Pawa told The Manila Times Jakatia, his sister, called at around 5 a.m. to tell her family of her fate.

The Kuwaiti daily Alrai reported that Kuwaiti prince Shaikh Faisal Al-Abdullah Al-Sabah, a Kuwait woman, an Ethiopian woman, two Egyptian men and a Bangladeshi man were hanged along with Jakatia.

Angaris recounted the phone conversation: “‘Brother,’ she told me, ‘I’m saying goodbye.’ I said, ‘What kind of goodbye?’ She said, ‘Brother, tomorrow I will be hanged. Brother, this is my only wish. Don’t neglect my two children.’”

Jakatia, a 41-year-old single mother of two teenagers from the southern city of Zamboanga, worked in the Gulf Arab state as a domestic helper in 2006.

She was accused of stabbing her employer’s daughter 28 times in 2007.

In 2010, the Kuwait’s highest court, the Court of Cassation, upheld the death verdict handed down by the Court of First Instance in 2008 despite appeals from then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and watchdog group Amnesty International.

Jakatia pleaded her innocence, claiming the killing might have been carried out by the victim’s relative over the latter’s alleged illicit love affair with a male neighbor.

In an interview with radio station dzRH, Susan Ople, president of the Blas F. Ople Policy Center, said an investigation had found that Jakatia’s DNA was not in the murder weapon and the motive was not clearly established.

Charles Jose, DFA spokesman, told reporters in a news conference the Philippine government had “exerted different efforts,” including diplomatic and political interventions. The government also tapped “religious channels,” he said.

It was “the first time in a long time” that a Filipino was executed in Kuwait, he said. “We were unable to prove her innocence.”

The family was convinced the government did its part to save Jakatia, Angaris said. The government paid for her lawyer, a relative of Kuwait’s Emir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.

The government also assisted in Angaris’ travels to Kuwait in 2008, 2013 and October 2016.

Angaris said that in October, the lawyer assured him that his sister would be released this year.

“The opposite happened,” he said. “I just cried…it’s difficult for us, for our family.”

Following Islamic practice, Jakatia’s remains will be buried in Kuwait immediately.

At least 86,019 Filipinos are working in Kuwait, according to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration.

Jose said 88 Filipinos are on death row abroad.

grahamw48
26th January 2017, 23:54
While oil is valued more than civilised society, the rest of the world will turn a blind eye and keep on pandering to these neanderthals.

Tawi2
27th January 2017, 00:40
No conclusive proof it was her,she always maintained her innocence,no DNA from her on the weapon,i felt true sadness that her last selfless act was to phone her brother and ask him to care for her children,that poor lady :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
27th January 2017, 08:41
Very sad indeed, RIP Jakatia Pawa.

stevewool
27th January 2017, 09:21
While oil is valued more than civilised society, the rest of the world will turn a blind eye and keep on pandering to these neanderthals.

I wonder if any of the women who march last weekend marched for her rights , then again i wonder how many women in the whole world who should unit as they say, knew this woman's name.
Its a funny world we all live in

stevewool
27th January 2017, 09:24
No conclusive proof it was her,she always maintained her innocence,no DNA from her on the weapon,i felt true sadness that her last selfless act was to phone her brother and ask him to care for her children,that poor lady :NoNo:

As a foreigner in these sorts of countries, it seems you as the foreigner are guilty party always,

Longweekend
27th January 2017, 10:57
Correct Steve, they look upon it as 'if you were not here in our country the incident would not have occurred'.....:Erm:

grahamw48
27th January 2017, 11:27
Correct Steve, they look upon it as 'if you were not here in our country the incident would not have occurred'.....:Erm:

Unfortunately, as you'll probably be aware, that is how the Philippines 'justice' system views us foreigners too.

They may not hang us (at present), but any of us could easily end up in jail without trial for a very long time, if we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.... which is why I've always adopted a VERY low profile when over there.

stevewool
27th January 2017, 11:46
Unfortunately, as you'll probably be aware, that is how the Philippines 'justice' system views us foreigners too.

They may not hang us (at present), but any of us could easily end up in jail without trial for a very long time, if we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.... which is why I've always adopted a VERY low profile when over there.

Totally agree, blend in , in the answer

Tawi2
27th January 2017, 11:53
Friend of mine just got back to uk last year after several years without trial in bicutan detention centre,he was guilty of no crime in pinas,he lived a very nice lifestyle on palawan,all lost now i think,oh and once he got back here his wife and kids have been refused a UK visa,he has health and dental'problems associated with his incarceration,i saw him when he got back and he didnt look well at all,i told him "Hey,its more fun in the philippines" :wink: he told me to "p**s off" :laugher:
The south china morning post did an article on the prison called The Forgotten,foreigners tend to dissapear for extended periods in there.

grahamw48
27th January 2017, 12:46
Very dodgy place. We must never forget that.

Terpe
27th January 2017, 14:14
Friend of mine just got back to uk last year after several years without trial in bicutan detention centre,he was guilty of no crime in pinas,he lived a very nice lifestyle on palawan,all lost now i think,oh and once he got back here his wife and kids have been refused a UK visa,he has health and dental'problems associated with his incarceration,i saw him when he got back and he didnt look well at all,i told him "Hey,its more fun in the philippines" :wink: he told me to "p**s off" :laugher:
The south china morning post did an article on the prison called The Forgotten,foreigners tend to dissapear for extended periods in there.

Any idea why BI decided to detain him ?

I've met one Finnish guy who was detained for a while. Simple case of overstaying his visa. I did ask him why he overstayed but couldn't get any answer.
He shared a few stories.

My very limited understanding gained that evening is be sure never to give Immigration any reason to doubt your legality to be here.

stevewool
27th January 2017, 16:13
Spain is sounding wonderful now

Tawi2
27th January 2017, 16:28
Spain is sounding wonderful now

Spain is wonderful,dont forget your E-111 :smile:

Longweekend
27th January 2017, 16:42
France is even closer....

fred
27th January 2017, 17:30
DOLE mulls moratorium on deployment of household workers to Kuwait
KUWAIT - The Philippine government is seriously considering a moratorium or the temporary suspension on the deployment of household service workers to Kuwait in view of the rising number of distressed OFWS in Kuwait.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/01/27/17/dole-mulls-moratorium-on-deployment-of-household-workers-to-kuwait

grahamw48
27th January 2017, 19:27
How many times have we heard that though Fred ?

Then the greed (and need for cheap oil) kicks in again. :NoNo:

Any relatives of mine, I tell them there are also jobs available in civilised countries.

Tawi2
27th January 2017, 20:35
PI makes lots of cash off exported labour,for every poor OFW wrongly accused of a crime and executed another 1,000,000 will be queueing up'to take their place,poverty does that to people.

grahamw48
27th January 2017, 22:26
Sadly yes, that is the truth .

fred
28th January 2017, 02:52
How many times have we heard that though Fred ?

Then the greed (and need for cheap oil) kicks in again. http://filipinaroses.com/images/smilies/NoNo.gif

Any relatives of mine, I tell them there are also jobs available in civilised countries.

Many Brits did the same in the 70`s.. My ole man used to tell me the dangers of working in Saudi,especially after "The death of a Princess" episode... He s still went though coz the money was good!!
Look how many white security positions that were available after the Iraq war..Videos of kidnapped men just before being beheaded in a war zone.. Did that stop them being replaced with temptations of "good money"?? Hell no!
Everyone knows the facts over there and they also know what the risks are...Filipino`s certainly do!
Ive told them 1000`s of times but they still go.
Bahala!

soulman1949
28th January 2017, 05:01
I was sad to hear the same news here yesterday. When you hear this kind of news you ask yourself "who would want to work in a place like that" but when you spend time in the Philippines (or any other poor country) you see that poverty is the big driver, as has already been said above. My Elsa was an OFW for a while and she spent time in Kuwait, Egypt and Taiwan - she had to be bailed out by her sister after some problems in the Middle East.

When you're a foreigner being in the wrong place at the wrong time can carry enormous risks! :-(

Alan

Michael Parnham
28th January 2017, 08:44
My father was in the RAF based in Cairo during the second world war and for years during my childhood he always used to say "never trust an Arab":Erm:

Tawi2
28th January 2017, 11:03
Look how many white security positions that were available after the Iraq war..Videos of kidnapped men just before being beheaded in a war zone.. Did that stop them being replaced with temptations of "good money"?? Hell no!
My mate was on £10,000 a month in iraq he knew a couple of filipinos doing the same job,they were on $2500 a month.

fred
28th January 2017, 11:37
My mate was on £10,000 a month in iraq he knew a couple of filipinos doing the same job,they were on $2500 a month.

Both on Good money then!!
2,500 $$`s in R.P around the same value as 10,000 Quid in the R.P IF you know how to spend it!!

Tawi2
28th January 2017, 11:42
My mate lives in thailand,he is working in the delta region in nigeria at the minute with a pay drop £7500 a month,i think he prefered baghdad :icon_lol: