PDA

View Full Version : Manila LRT & MRT

Terpe
30th November 2016, 13:07
Thought I start a thread on the LRT & MRT transportation possibilities in NCR ( National Capital Region) Manila

I'll be posting details on the routes I take.
How to get tickets or pre-paid cards.
Which stations go where and how to proceed from the station to different destinations.

I'll include how to connect to the LRT/MRT via transportation from NAIA

To be honest I used to love travelling around by Jeepney and Taxi when I lived in Davao. It was a pleasure for me and so quick and easy.
Here in Manila I've used the jeepney but it's not the same.
The traffic is terrible. The jeepney drivers, IMHO, can often be rude and unhelpful (bastos).
Sometimes also the passengers, but not enough to make it a worry.
It's cheap at around P7 but oh so crowded, smelly, squeezed and full of traffic fumes.
Taxis can be problematic as you need to be careful on just what is the correct fare , and/OR what you're happyto pay.
Generally I suggest insist on a meter.
Always ask the fare BEFORE getting in to a Manila Taxi. Period.

Grab Taxi is best IMO as you know it will be a new and clean car with a driver who is courteous, discreet and professional.
Also you know the route they will take and the fare.
Highly recommended by me.

Anyway, I've now grown to love the trains (yes I know I'm an old railway engineer but hear me out)
The trains are cheap, fast, clean (usually air-con) and comfortable. Yes sometimes they can be very crowded, but so it is in every city I've beeen in. Especially Tokyo, London, Rome, New York, Paris etc etc
At least here in Philippines a smile goes a long long way.... truley

So I'll post on my actual experiences as I learn.

jonnijon
30th November 2016, 22:47
There were rumors a while ago of a rail link between Davao and Tagum, that would be good if it happens.

fred
1st December 2016, 08:44
I was on one of the first ever LRT journeys from the new Baclaran station... It was fantastic.
A year later it was so jam packed I was better off on the Jeep once again.

Terpe
1st December 2016, 14:34
I think the LRT & MRT are great.
Yes they can get crowded at rush times but so far I've not found that to be a big enough issue to avoid using them.

A crowded, hot smelly jeep from Araneta-Cubao to Katipunan takes about 50mins and costs P7
The LRT takes around 8 mins and cost P15
Plus they run every 6 mins

No contest IMO

Terpe
1st December 2016, 14:53
Today we made another trip to Divisoria to buy some extra material for curtains and sofa covers
Well my wife went yesterday but not so successful so this time I joined her

We have a new leather corner sofa which has already suffered a bit after having some friends round for eats and drinks.
With my birthday coming soon and with Christmas party season already here we thought it made sense to have a little extra protection.

Anyway last time we went to Divisoria it took us a good 2 1/2 hours to get there.

This time we took a 5min UV Express ride (P5) to Katipunan Station and took the LRT-Line 2 all the way to Recto terminal station.
It took 20 minutes and cost P25
Next we took a tricycle to Divisoria materials market at P30

We're planning to go to Mall of Asia soon by train
Just need to free-up some time