PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to this place?

fred
8th November 2016, 16:37
Is it dying or is it just hanging on by a strong loyal thread?
Just saying what I see!

Steve.r
8th November 2016, 16:46
Certainly quiet

fred
8th November 2016, 17:02
Is it the new name?

Longweekend
8th November 2016, 17:29
Steve's away...

fred
8th November 2016, 17:49
Grahams away as well.

fred
8th November 2016, 17:57
I might go away...I`m getting jealous of these jet setters.

Longweekend
8th November 2016, 17:58
Hang on I'll join you....:biggrin:

Slip
8th November 2016, 19:09
Does seem the same handful of posters. Although that's not a bad thing.

We do need new posters that stick around. There have been some, but not many recently.

I'm pretty sure there will be a new thread about President Clinton/Trump soon that will get interesting :76::NEW5::NoNo::censored:

Longweekend
8th November 2016, 19:22
I've had enough of those two idiots, I'm amazed out of a population of over 250 million the best they came up with are those two.......:NoNo:

Arthur Little
8th November 2016, 19:47
Is it the new name?

Quite possibly, I suppose, :icon_rolleyes: - but there again ... :anerikke: ... Keith wasn't really given much choice in the matter. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
8th November 2016, 20:23
Quite possibly, I suppose, :icon_rolleyes: - but there again ... :anerikke: ... Keith wasn't really given much choice in the matter. :NoNo:

:poke: ... blame :censored: Google! :cwm23:

grahamw48
9th November 2016, 01:54
I'm still browsing... just in my Philippines residence.... with a VERY active and noisy little 'cherub' bombarding me with assorted missiles fashioned from his considerable stockpile of toys/weapons. :Cuckoo:

SimonH
9th November 2016, 07:49
Hang on I'll join you....:biggrin:

You can't go till Thursday night, then you have to be back by Tuesday morning :wink:

SimonH
9th November 2016, 08:02
Prolific posters get banned for being controversial and others walk as a protest, Dedworth and Les for example. JoeBlogs couldn't face coming on after the conservatives won the last election and Andy has been very quiet.
There are others who read other forums and realise that us mere plebs can't be 'trusted' and there are those who have a few months of heavy posting then a few months away.

grahamw48
9th November 2016, 09:01
This is true. :smile:

stevewool
9th November 2016, 09:04
I might go away...I`m getting jealous of these jet setters.

Hang about here , you told me to go and spend and see the world

Michael Parnham
9th November 2016, 10:51
Well I'm consistent:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
9th November 2016, 10:55
Hang about here , you told me to go and spend and see the world

Good for you Steve!!

Tawi2
6th December 2016, 20:22
Is it dying or is it just hanging on by a strong loyal thread?
Just saying what I see!
Once traffic starts the red light on threads stops the flow inexplicably :wink:

andy222
6th December 2016, 21:34
I am still here. Been busy though with certain things. Work, FLR for the Mrs and stepkid.:cwm25:. Off to the phils the end of January for 3 weeks. Having the little one christened there.:wink:

Rosie1958
26th December 2016, 22:12
Is it the new name?

Have to admit that I wouldn't have entered the forum when I did 6 years ago if it was called what it is today. Unfortunately, now sounds too much like a dating site which could be putting off potential new membership.........

In any case, I'll always be grateful for the help and support that I have received from some lovely people here, seasons greetings to you all :xxparty-smiley-050: :Beer:

grahamw48
26th December 2016, 22:48
Seasons Greetings to you and your loved ones too Rosie. :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxparty-smiley-050:

Michael Parnham
27th December 2016, 00:11
Nice to see you back Rosie, hope you enjoyed your Christmas also hope you have a great New Year:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
27th December 2016, 00:51
Have to admit that I wouldn't have entered the forum when I did 6 years ago if it was called what it is today. Unfortunately, now sounds too much like a dating site which could be putting off potential new membership.........

... yes :iagree:, more's the pity, due - I'm fairly sure - to the reason(s) I've suggested above :icon_rolleyes: in #10 & #11, respectively.

In any case, I'll always be grateful for the help and support that I have received from some lovely people here, seasons greetings to you all :xxparty-smiley-050: :Beer:

:smile: Rosie ... it's been our pleasure :biggrin:! Seasons Greetings to you ... you're a tower of strength to your partner and loved ones. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
27th December 2016, 01:22
Nice to see you back Rosie, hope you enjoyed your Christmas also hope you have a great New Year:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you Michael and the same to you! Hope that Christmas brought everything you wished for :smile:

2016 has been quite a challenging and eventful year for me and I'm looking forward to 2017 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
29th December 2016, 12:42
Can't believe that no one used this Forum Yesterday (Wed) I think it's the first time that I've been the only member to use it:Erm:

Tawi2
29th December 2016, 13:15
Its a wakeup and a shakeup michael,christmas period less people log on maybe :heartshape1:

grahamw48
30th December 2016, 01:06
Sometimes I'm just feeling 'read only'.

Doesn't mean I haven't looked in.:smile:

Slip
30th December 2016, 06:08
Sometimes I'm just feeling 'read only'.

Doesn't mean I haven't looked in.:smile:

I read only a few times a day. Does surprise me though when I haven't been on for around 8 hours, come back and it shows no new posts.

Longweekend
30th December 2016, 10:54
I miss some of the 'banter' that used to be on here....:bigcry:

fred
30th December 2016, 12:33
The new name was a mistake... I said my piece on that subject both privately and publicly at the time (Made no difference)..
End of that part of topic!!
I have never banned a single member nor has any other Mod. since Ive been on here that I can think of..
Anyone with any gripes of member banning etc...Take that matter up DIRECTLY with Admin..Not me or any other member with the title..."Moderator"!!

Tawi2
30th December 2016, 12:38
I remember the mass purge,i went away everyone was happy as larry,i came back and saw tumbleweed blowing across the screen,Mrs M,pennybarry (i always liked penny) and others gone,heard on the grapevine sean had passed away?Bloody hell he was only a kid :NoNo:

fred
30th December 2016, 12:47
I remember the mass purge,i went away everyone was happy as larry,i came back and saw tumbleweed blowing across the screen,Mrs M,pennybarry (i always liked penny) and others gone,heard on the grapevine sean had passed away?Bloody hell he was only a kid :NoNo:

Speak to Admin about any "purges"...
Nothing to do with active Mods..
I believe "Northerner" left of his own accord...
R.I.P.

Tawi2
30th December 2016, 12:53
Its Ok fred,my dictum is always toe the party line :smile:

John.C
31st December 2016, 18:05
I have never understood why this is not the busiest and biggest forum anywhere.
There is loads of knowledge here for those that need help.

Longweekend
31st December 2016, 19:23
Maybe John, but not everybody is looking for the knowledge all of the time, some just want a bit of fun with like minded folk....

grahamw48
31st December 2016, 21:19
Well today I seem to have been getting a lot of 'too busy' notices when I'm trying to reply to posts, so that isn't helping. :Brick:

mickcant
1st January 2017, 08:58
Well today I seem to have been getting a lot of 'too busy' notices when I'm trying to reply to posts, so that isn't helping. :Brick:

I have had that too, then I forget to go back and try again!
Mick. :Erm:

Michael Parnham
1st January 2017, 09:36
The new name was a mistake... I said my piece on that subject both privately and publicly at the time (Made no difference)..
End of that part of topic!!
I have never banned a single member nor has any other Mod. since Ive been on here that I can think of..
Anyone with any gripes of member banning etc...Take that matter up DIRECTLY with Admin..Not me or any other member with the title..."Moderator"!!

Never knew you were a Moderater until now Fred, Happy new year to you and your family:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
1st January 2017, 09:57
Prolific posters get banned for being controversial and others walk as a protest, Dedworth and Les for example. JoeBlogs couldn't face coming on after the conservatives won the last election and Andy has been very quiet.
There are others who read other forums and realise that us mere plebs can't be 'trusted' and there are those who have a few months of heavy posting then a few months away.

Notice Jamie's disappeared again:Erm:

John.C
1st January 2017, 11:46
The % of deeply cynical forum members is just a little higher than on the average forum. BTW - that includes me. I am deeply cynical but I try to supress it.

I have had important (life changing) and specific advice on this forum. Because of that I will not criticise forum members.
But a forum needs a mixture of new people seeking advice and new people who want light hearted chat, (so we agree on that point Longweekend).
Some of these new people will make an occasional donation.

Making the mood on the forum as welcoming as possible can only help.

Michael Parnham
1st January 2017, 12:03
The % of deeply cynical forum members is just a little higher than on the average forum. BTW - that includes me. I am deeply cynical but I try to supress it.

I have had important (life changing) and specific advice on this forum. Because of that I will not criticise forum members.
But a forum needs a mixture of new people seeking advice and new people who want light hearted chat, (so we agree on that point Longweekend).
Some of these new people will make an occasional donation.

Making the mood on the forum as welcoming as possible can only help.

Good point John:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
1st January 2017, 12:52
I've never understood how people get drawn into arguments on forums. If you don't like a comment then don't answer it instead of letting it get to you, afterall, you don't really know the poster other than from here.

There are a few posters I have seen on here over my few years of being here that I don't particularly like the way they post. But rather than arguing with my screen I choose to read and ignore. As I would guess some no doubt would do to me.

SimonH
1st January 2017, 13:08
I've never understood how people get drawn into arguments on forums. If you don't like a comment then don't answer it instead of letting it get to you, afterall, you don't really know the poster other than from here.

There are a few posters I have seen on here over my few years of being here that I don't particularly like the way they post. But rather than arguing with my screen I choose to read and ignore. As I would guess some no doubt would do to me.

Guilty as charged :icon_lol:

grahamw48
1st January 2017, 13:51
:cwm25:

Michael Parnham
1st January 2017, 16:28
:cwm25:

Ha ha ha, love it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
1st January 2017, 20:57
Those mass purge was 6 years ago! And many of them chose to leave this forum. Not all of them contributed regularly anyway. Also, with regards to forum name, if any of you can contact Google and reinstate the old one, then feel free to do it at your own accord, and then inform us of your result. Keith has tried his best to put back this forum after what happened with Google. He did manage to get a good domain with a good index. If you understand how Google website indexing works, then you know what I'm saying. We don't get money from this forum. Even donation from members are very rare. If anyone could give us the money to overhaul everything with your preferred name again then contact us.

The problem with this forum is that many of the new members don't post. If anyone posts a thread, it's usually just intro and then they're gone. Another is that there's no one really posting any interesting stuff. We've got loads of categories and yet no one posts in any of it. I've tried posting numerous threads about the Philippines in the past but mostly are overlooked by political posts. Most regulars here also just post comments and are not bothered to create a new interesting thread. Also, ever since I've been a member of this forum, Filipinas are never a regular poster. The regular ones I've known in the past left because of Dedworth's posts in the past. Most of them prefer to be in Facebook.

This will be my last comment on this thread. If any of you can do something and offer your help to run this forum, then contact the admin.

Arthur Little
2nd January 2017, 01:39
Those mass purge was 6 years ago! And many of them chose to leave this forum. Not all of them contributed regularly anyway. Also, with regards to forum name, if any of you can contact Google and reinstate the old one, then feel free to do it at your own accord, and then inform us of your result. Keith has tried his best to put back this forum after what happened with Google. He did manage to get a good domain with a good index. If you understand how Google website indexing works, then you know what I'm saying. We don't get money from this forum. Even donation from members are very rare. If anyone could give us the money to overhaul everything with your preferred name again then contact us.

The problem with this forum is that many of the new members don't post. If anyone posts a thread, it's usually just intro and then they're gone. Another is that there's no one really posting any interesting stuff. We've got loads of categories and yet no one posts in any of it. I've tried posting numerous threads about the Philippines in the past but mostly are overlooked by political posts. Most regulars here also just post comments and are not bothered to create a new interesting thread. Also, ever since I've been a member of this forum, Filipinas are never a regular poster. The regular ones I've known in the past left because of Dedworth's posts in the past. Most of them prefer to be in Facebook.

This will be my last comment on this thread. If any of you can do something and offer your help to run this forum, then contact the admin.

Rayna, :Erm: ... with the utmost respect, like you, I for one - for what seems ages now - have kept introducing new threads. Threads on all manner of topics ... fervently hoping they'll appeal to as wide as possible a cross-section of our readership. Indeed, I've been doing so ever since being taught how to post links by your goodself ... which the undernoted examples (two of [literally] hundreds) indicate:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/59639-Threads?highlight=Trying+to+encourage+donations+-+Arthur+Little

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/60183-Ten-Metric-Tonnes-Of-Hybrid-Rice-Seeds-Donated-To-Stricken-Farmers-In-Typhoon-Hit-Aurora-Province

Plus two more ... from a MAINLY funding perspective:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/60112-Local-councils-running-out-of-money ... #5 of 5 duly refers.

AND

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/60117-What-a-long-day ... #2 & 3 both apply.

Although neither of the latter pair was started by myself, I've [respectfully "chipped~in] with my tuppenceworth [as highlighted above] about the need for donations if the forum is to survive.

fred
2nd January 2017, 03:53
We don't get money from this forum. Even donation from members are very rare. If anyone could give us the money to overhaul everything with your preferred name again then contact us.

Keith always told his membership before that he had a number of websites which were designed for business purposes and I assume the strategy was for them to be profitable and perhaps some of them were/are..
If we see the way sites like F.B and twitter were managed to make their owners zillionaires,its a damned good idea if managed correctly...Hey! You never know!
Had the site as a whole accrued immense value as I assume was the original intention,that value would have quite rightly ALL have belonged to the site owner. (and good luck to them)

Many loyal knowledgeable members here have all acted as a free consultancy practice for years to those seeking help or advise attracting new members arriving from the Google universe.
To say that they are not "donating" is certainly not correct IMO.
Its a big pity that Google singled out this website and screwed up its indexing...There are many other successful forums that they have not done this to..
I think that many remaining members at that time were looking to understand the owners strategy to recover from that blow so that we could support it and help it along...
Unfortunately calling it "Filipina Roses" went down like a lead balloon..But hey...We all make mistakes I suppose.

Arthur Little
2nd January 2017, 04:01
Oh dear, :bigcry: ... I hope that previous post of mine hasn't "put the cat among the pigeons", since it was genuinely well~intended!

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 06:53
Maybe someone can explain in simple non web jargon what google indexing is, and how google in effect caused the name change.
As far as I was aware google is just a search engine, probably a lot more to it than that but obviously I'm fairly ignorant in these matters.

fred
2nd January 2017, 08:36
Maybe someone can explain in simple non web jargon what google indexing is, and how google in effect caused the name change.
As far as I was aware google is just a search engine, probably a lot more to it than that but obviously I'm fairly ignorant in these matters.

I`m no expert either Simon...But from my understanding..
When we had the name FilipinoUK.co.uk, the site come out at the top of the search list..
The biggest disaster was though that the site had 100`s of 1000`s of pages of info containing relevant data to Filipino and the U.K and so the search words like "UK VISA FOR FILIPINO" or "British spouce visa" etc etc pointed to Filipinouk at the top of Google list..

The disaster happened because Google notified admin that the site went against Google`s terms and conditions (or something to that effect) and they removed FilipinoUK from their search engine..
They said that too much stuff was being quoted from other sources..Like the whole news story with a link back to source..

Thats why we now have to post just the first couple of lines of news or outside content and not the whole article..

Anyway..Since that happened it put the forum back about 10 years IMO and our new membership count sunk like a rock..
The new name certainly did not help.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/40052?hl=en

Google does have a reconsideration process if the problems are addressed... I have no idea if that process happened or not.

raynaputi
2nd January 2017, 10:14
Keith did try everything to contact them and reconsider whatever was wrong. All fell on deaf ears, not even a response on all his contacts to Google. Many forum and websites was hit in the past with the same thing. And according to Keith's investigation, Google has not reconsidered whenever they removed websites. No explanations as well. Lucky for us, his Win2win forum was never hit. All his other websites apart from Win2win was gone. These past 2 years he's been rebuilding everything to make us a living, hence he very rarely posts here now because he's focusing more on where we can get the money. This forum was the first one he rebuilt though, even though we've considered to chuck it all after the Google incident. In that quick second, all the hardwork he did from 2006 vanished. If you think he did nothing, then you are deluded.

Like I said, if anyone can help us run this forum and rebuilt it again from scratch with your prefered name, then just contact us immediately.

Btw, Google never mentioned what the forum has done wrongly. They just sent Keith a notification that it's done something against their T&C. Whatever it was, who the heck knows because they have never responded to anything!

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 10:22
Maybe we as a forum need to come up with a better more descriptive name :Erm:

I know it's been said before that this site was originally set up as a dating site, but that is obviously not the case.

Difficult for me to look up unique names from my phone, so maybe other members could go some investigating?

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 10:25
Filipino-uk.net?

raynaputi
2nd January 2017, 10:44
Anything with the name Filipino and UK in the domain name will go directly to Google's radar and they will delete it again, especially knowing it's made by the same company/owner. Hence, Keith chose the current domain name. Plus, .net will only bring lesser visitors compared to the current one we have, which is .com with a worldwide audience.

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 10:47
Sorry, just trying to help!

So how about something incorporating Philippine and Brit:Erm: would that bypass their radar?

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 10:49
Phil-britforum.com

raynaputi
2nd January 2017, 10:55
Contact Keith directly please for any suggestions. He can explain how everything works better than me. There's a "Contact" link at the top of the page.

grahamw48
2nd January 2017, 12:17
It makes me sad reading this thread.
I hope something can be done that will revive the forum.

As an internet technical ignoramus, not much I can contribute on that front I'm afraid.

Let's not fall out over this folks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
2nd January 2017, 12:30
Not his old argument again.

It is simple. The old forum name was deindexed by Google, that means it was removed from the search results. This meant no listings in the search results = no traffic = dead site.

Name had to change to a domain that had already been previously indexed, it impossible to start with a new domain. This limited choice. The old domain was misleading in itself, and was only listed mainly in google.co.uk search results. The new one is listed in all google search engines.

We have 55,000 pages indexed, which means people searching Google can find the site in search results for 55,000 different pages on here.

The number of hits the site now has has continued to grow month by month, as this graph shows.

http://filipinaroses.com/images/stats.png

The name of the site is actually irrelevant, especially when it comes to forums. Less than 1% of visitors will ever post. They are looking for answers to a question, if they find it, they move on, if they don't, they move on. This is how forums work. I read a lot of forums every week looking for info, but never post. I also never look at what the site is called. Information is king on the internet, not domain names, they are only relevant to the search engines.

Changing the domain/site name would mean no indexed pages on Google. So no one would ever find the site. It would then take 1-2 years of hard SEO work and money to get it to where it is now.

A problem with a mature forum, such as this one, is that nearly all of the answers people are looking for have already been posted, so they do not need to sign up and ask.

The best way to get more folk joining in is quite easy, posters need to start topics with a question in the title, or talk about the latest news.

Happy New Year. News of my death are premature, but my hands have died to arthritis which makes typing a real pain. Hence I have to limit how much I can type in a day. This post has hurt to do, so shut up now :Rasp: :icon_lol:

SimonH
2nd January 2017, 12:53
Thanks for the clarification, I'm now not as ignorant as I was :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
2nd January 2017, 14:18
Yes, thanks for clarifying Keith.

I THINK I'm a bit wiser now. :Erm:

... and Happy New Year to you and Rayna ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
2nd January 2017, 14:28
There you go. I hope no one will say it's the forum name again. I kept on telling Keith to just post once again to clarify everything. We already said it in the past and this issue keeps on getting reincarnated somehow. :doh Keith has never even been bothered about how the forum is, especially about the name. We can just end it here HOPEFULLY! I know the ones who chose to leave still access the forum. The admin can see their activities. They just chose to view threads and control themselves from posting again because they've said they've had enough of the forum. :icon_lol:

Happy new year as well Graham and to your lovely family. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
2nd January 2017, 15:17
Good info,thanks... But I still reckon you could have come up with something better than Filipina bloody Roses!:icon_lol:
The Mrs still says I`m hooked posting on a dating site!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQs3jZbxFTQ

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2017, 16:42
Certainly plenty of activity this last 24 hours, nice change:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
2nd January 2017, 16:45
Certainly plenty of activity this last 24 hours, nice change:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Correct!!
What we need here Micheal is a bit more drama in the content..
With "Filipina" in the forum title...Drama is key!...Always.

Tawi2
2nd January 2017, 16:58
We need music......lights........action,Page title up in Flashing neon,big names,tight script and storyline :biggrin:

fred
2nd January 2017, 17:14
We need music......lights........action,Page title up in Flashing neon,big names,tight script and storyline :biggrin:

What did Duterte do now??
Anything good??

Tawi2
2nd January 2017, 17:20
Duterte......The movie....starring Bad Boy Robin Padilla as Rodrigo Duterte AKA the punisher,the script doesnt really matter,its writes itself,just lots of sex,violence,and gore :smile: Oh,and they all lived happily ever after :smile: (apart from those who get shot,6000 approx and counting,but nothing sells a movie like a high body-count,just look at the last Rambo).

fred
2nd January 2017, 17:24
Great thanks..
Oh and thanks for REP!!!!

grahamw48
2nd January 2017, 21:02
Thanks Rayna ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
6th January 2017, 18:48

Just a quick hello:yikes: I do have a quick look sometimes and just to let you know that I still contact Dedworth and it's nice that a few on here have missed us.I think the banning was ott and noticed the Forum seems a bit dull without him.Love him or hate him he engaged people and thats a pity. We kept on hearing because of us two new members were not bothering-maybe that was a wrong assumption. Anyway all the best to the ones who enjoyed the banter.

Tawi2
6th January 2017, 20:11
Les old chap,how the devil are you,lifes treating you good i hope?Regards to Dedworth,he always had the ability to get people chatting :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th January 2017, 20:27
Good to see you back here Les... just given you some rep for that post. hahaha.

Do send Dedworth my best wishes too. :biggrin:

Longweekend
6th January 2017, 21:43
Happy New Year Les, trust you are keeping well...:biggrin:

Michael Parnham
7th January 2017, 00:18
Wow, what a great turn up for the book, lovely to have you back Les and a Happy new year to you. Hope you're keeping well and looking after your Taxi, also are you still walking? I sincerely hope you stick around now because you've been missed by a number of members including myself:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
7th January 2017, 16:16
Wow, what a great turn up for the book, lovely to have you back Les and a Happy new year to you. Hope you're keeping well and looking after your Taxi, also are you still walking? I sincerely hope you stick around now because you've been missed by a number of members including myself:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you Michael,Graham and others. I'm not back so to speak just wanted to let you know me and Ded are still alive :biggrin:

Longweekend
7th January 2017, 22:40
and kicking hopefully....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
8th January 2017, 17:46
Thank you Michael,Graham and others. I'm not back so to speak just wanted to let you know me and Ded are still alive :biggrin:
That reminds me.When does the new series of the walking dead start?:icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
8th January 2017, 18:53
That reminds me.When does the new series of the walking dead start?:icon_lol:

Mid February Andy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Longweekend
8th January 2017, 21:42
Have you watched 'Fear of the walking Dead'? it's also good....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
9th January 2017, 11:00
Have you watched 'Fear of the walking Dead'? it's also good....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Third series of that starting anytime now, will check the date and let you know, don't forget to watch 'Fear the walking dead flight 462' as a couple of characters from that are in series 2 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
9th January 2017, 13:54
You lot are very sad IMO!!

AYUP Les!! Give my regards to Dead!

Terpe
9th January 2017, 14:53
Rock n Roll :wink:

Trefor
9th January 2017, 17:47
Not posted much in the last 3 weeks due to a holiday to Dubai and The Philippines. Had a great time, including Typhoon Nina. Dubai was great too, always changing, always interesting (there is life past the hotel and mall).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/Trefor1/IMG_0712.jpg

Longweekend
9th January 2017, 18:01
That looks lovely where is it?, could do with some of that sun before the snow starts on Thursday....:cwm25:

Trefor
9th January 2017, 19:52
That looks lovely where is it?, could do with some of that sun before the snow starts on Thursday....:cwm25:

Lobo, Batangas. Unspoiled, at the moment.

grahamw48
9th January 2017, 21:15
That does look nice... and not too out of the way, presumably.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
9th January 2017, 21:35
That does look nice... and not too out of the way, presumably.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

1hr South of Batangas City. So for most Puerto Galera is easier to reach. But Lobo is v quiet which I like, and Roses house is in Batangas City (which is like Grimsby - def not metro Manila) so an easy traffic free drive.

grahamw48
9th January 2017, 23:51
Sounds good.

I've been to Batangas port, on my way to Puerto Galera.

PG area has been totally touristified and spoiled since I was last there in the early 90s, according to friends, so I've no wish to go there now.

Fortunately '100 Islands' area is pretty close to us, so I can always explore there a bit more.

Our house is only 5 miles from the nearest beach, but it's not the best around. :smile:

Trefor
10th January 2017, 12:10
Sounds good.

I've been to Batangas port, on my way to Puerto Galera.

PG area has been totally touristified and spoiled since I was last there in the early 90s, according to friends, so I've no wish to go there now.

Fortunately '100 Islands' area is pretty close to us, so I can always explore there a bit more.

Our house is only 5 miles from the nearest beach, but it's not the best around. :smile:

We've not ventured 'up North' yet. Batangas City is a dump btw. Complete gridlock now too since everyone has a new Fortuner on 100 year finance. At least they drive a little more carefully so they don't scratch their new cars...

grahamw48
10th January 2017, 18:34
Up North (well north of Angeles/Tarlac area) is pretty good I find. Very friendly people, attractive countryside and generally good roads, that aren't too busy. Every facility is available in the larger towns.

We are on the East coast, whereas Steve R, though roughly level with us, is on the West coast... which I haven't been to yet.

I've been to Baguio, but didn't stay long, so
next trip (March) we intend to have a proper day or two there. Some amazing mountain roads and scenery up that way... not to mention the pleasant temperature reduction. :smile:

Trefor
10th January 2017, 21:04
Rose wants to visit Bagio, so we will be up there one day. I'm not convinced as I hear the weather is cool. I can stay at home for that :smile:

grahamw48
10th January 2017, 22:02
The time we went it just felt like a warm summer's day in England. Of course to the locals that is probably cold enough to bring on shivering. :biggrin:

Trefor
11th January 2017, 12:07
The time we went it just felt like a warm summer's day in England. Of course to the locals that is probably cold enough to bring on shivering. :biggrin:

When they say cold in our part of the Philippines they mean a slightly cool breeze lowering the humidity. This year we did our bit for Britain with new sweaters for everyone:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/Trefor1/IMG_0687.jpg

SimonH
11th January 2017, 14:11
Shey laughed at me yesterday when I had goose bumps, it was bloody freezing at 24C :icon_lol:

grahamw48
11th January 2017, 15:06
I'd say it has definitely been getting hotter in the Phils this past few years though. :smile:

Terpe
12th January 2017, 13:59
Overall we had a very hot 18 months during our time in Davao.

Since moving to Quezon City and Marikina the average temperatures have been well within our comfort zone.
Actually my wife instructed me to install a shower heater in her bathroom as the water was a little too cold for her.

Have to say the water in Davao was IMO icy cold for the most part. Perhaps because the temperatures were so high she enjoyed the really cold showers. I know I did.

Here in Marikina today it's been another overcast day with decidedly cooler weather.

Looking at the weather forecasts here the temperature spreads vary a lot depending on the location.

Rory
12th January 2017, 23:47
I would say another reason why there seems to be less activity around here could be because it is very hard or close to impossible to find a link or workout how to start a new thread on here. I have had a good look and can not find where i can start one. Maybe i am just blind and getting old and it is looking me in the face. I still can not see it :doh:doh:doh

grahamw48
13th January 2017, 00:07
I would say another reason why there seems to be less activity around here could be because it is very hard or close to impossible to find a link or workout how to start a new thread on here. I have had a good look and can not find where i can start one. Maybe i am just blind and getting old and it is looking me in the face. I still can not see it :doh:doh:doh

1. Forum Home

2. Click on the section you wish to start a thread in.

3. Big start new thread button, top left. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
13th January 2017, 00:26
Thanks Graham, i was looking all over the home page and clicking forum. :Erm: For some reason i was thinking it was at the bottom of the home page. :xxgrinning--00xx3: