PDA

View Full Version : Gender Gap

Arthur Little
8th November 2016, 01:30
Why don't more women choose Engineering as a career?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37254851 ... :ReadIt:

Well ... :anerikke: ... I might be mistaken but, offhand, I can think of one of our respected lady members who has an engineering qualification - Vernier Caliper - Trefor's wife, Rose.

Clever lass, as Trefor will verify if he sees this thread! :smile:

Michael Parnham
8th November 2016, 09:13
A few months ago I watched a documentary about Rolls Royce Derby and it seems more young ladies are being employed by them doing apprenticeships in engineering, very interesting it was too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
8th November 2016, 09:32

Well ... :anerikke: ... I might be mistaken but, offhand, I can think of one of our respected lady members who has an engineering qualification - Vernier Caliper - Trefor's wife, Rose.

Does she use it to measure the gender gap :Erm:

Terpe
8th November 2016, 13:51
I do remember that my original company had quite a few female Engineers. Even when I was under training.
One was so good I had her transferred to my division as soon as she completed her education.

raynaputi
8th November 2016, 22:21
I am a licensed engineer. My course was BS in Electronics & Communications Engineering and passed the board exam in the Philippines. Most of my friends are. I (and my siblings) studied in a pre-engineering school in secondary (Mapua) so my background was really engineering when I went to university. But a lot of us went into IT profession because that was the in demand job when we graduated and the companies that hired us were very much willing to train and teach us from scratch, plus a better pay than a starting engineer. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
9th November 2016, 23:47

:Hellooo: ... are you there, Trefor? ... I'd noticed you're online, but this thread had vanished into cyber ether before you saw it. :icon_rolleyes: