PDA

View Full Version : All singing and dancing car.

Slip
2nd November 2016, 23:29
I've never spent more than £1000 on a car before because quite simply I never needed anything reliable.
We lived walking distance from the shops. I worked a 10 minute drive away and Harlene a 10 minutes walk.
All friends and family were local so really didn't see the point in a decent car.

However we saved a bit of money before we moved to Leicestershire, that and a bit from the sale of our flat. With the intention of buying a nearly new car.
We put it off for a while just to see if we needed one. But after doing the milage I have in the past 6 weeks I've been here we decided my 15 year old car wasn't going to like winter here!
So I bought myself a 2014 Ford focus zetec ecoboost. Couldn't believe it when the dealer said "we'll tax it, only £30 a year!"
One of the features is the auto park. I drive along, the car sees a space. I select reverse and take my hands off the steering wheel and the car reverses into the space on its own!!!
It also beeps at you when you get to close to the cars in front or behind when parking without the help!
Plus today I got a text message whilst driving. Because my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth. It came up on the dashboard display "listen to text message" I clicked yes via a button on my steering wheel and it read my text to me!
Also impressed with the heated front windscreen, was handy this morning with the little dusting of frost. Can see it being a godsend during winter.

Wonder if I can still get 4 tyres for £100 though :biggrin:

stevewool
3rd November 2016, 06:55
I've never spent more than £1000 on a car before because quite simply I never needed anything reliable.
We lived walking distance from the shops. I worked a 10 minute drive away and Harlene a 10 minutes walk.
All friends and family were local so really didn't see the point in a decent car.

However we saved a bit of money before we moved to Leicestershire, that and a bit from the sale of our flat. With the intention of buying a nearly new car.
We put it off for a while just to see if we needed one. But after doing the milage I have in the past 6 weeks I've been here we decided my 15 year old car wasn't going to like winter here!
So I bought myself a 2014 Ford focus zetec ecoboost. Couldn't believe it when the dealer said "we'll tax it, only £30 a year!"
One of the features is the auto park. I drive along, the car sees a space. I select reverse and take my hands off the steering wheel and the car reverses into the space on its own!!!
It also beeps at you when you get to close to the cars in front or behind when parking without the help!
Plus today I got a text message whilst driving. Because my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth. It came up on the dashboard display "listen to text message" I clicked yes via a button on my steering wheel and it read my text to me!
Also impressed with the heated front windscreen, was handy this morning with the little dusting of frost. Can see it being a godsend during winter.

Wonder if I can still get 4 tyres for £100 though :biggrin:

How much did you pay for the car, I got 2 tyre's for £70 fitted from speedys

grahamw48
7th November 2016, 09:23
You do realise those self-parkers are supposed to be driven by women don't you ? :biggrin:

Slip
7th November 2016, 14:27
How much did you pay for the car, I got 2 tyre's for £70 fitted from speedys

You do realise those self-parkers are supposed to be driven by women don't you ? :biggrin:

Not much change from ten grand!

That's why I don't let Harlene near the drivers side....

She keeps asking about driving lessons.. not a chance!

Longweekend
7th November 2016, 16:24
Slip, let Harlene learn to drive, it will give her great independence. My wife drives our Landcruiser Amazon and I have to admit she really is a very good driver....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
7th November 2016, 20:47
I have a Ford and i know they have a Pattern for the front heated windows. It comes in very handy and safes me on scrapping or using a can on the front window in the cold morning.

I was watching an advert of TV yesterday and some of the latest cars come with wifi hub built in now. What will be next, self drive cars? :wink:

SimonH
8th November 2016, 04:20
I have a Ford and i know they have a Pattern for the front heated windows. It comes in very handy and safes me on scrapping or using a can on the front window in the cold morning.

Last 3 cars I've owned had heated front screens, non of which were Fords. In fact the last Range Rover I had was fitted with a remote starter so the car would be nice and warm when I got in it :smile:

fred
8th November 2016, 05:18

I was watching an advert of TV yesterday and some of the latest cars come with wifi hub built in now. What will be next, self drive cars? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8wX7kAtcI

Michael Parnham
8th November 2016, 12:56
My car has radio controls on the steering wheel but never used them also Bluetooth plus it talks to me but don't know what any of it means, if I had a choice would rather have cruise control on the steering wheel:Erm:

stevewool
9th November 2016, 10:32
My car has radio controls on the steering wheel but never used them also Bluetooth plus it talks to me but don't know what any of it means, if I had a choice would rather have cruise control on the steering wheel:Erm:

I am like you car:biggrin:

Slip
12th November 2016, 22:20
Slip, let Harlene learn to drive, it will give her great independence. My wife drives our Landcruiser Amazon and I have to admit she really is a very good driver....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am thinking of getting her a provisional licence, then booking her a few lessons as a Christmas present.

Do you, or anyone know, is she allowed to apply for a provisional licence and then if she passes a full one seeing she's here on a spouse visa.

sally sanchez
13th November 2016, 07:04
I am thinking of getting her a provisional licence, then booking her a few lessons as a Christmas present.

Do you, or anyone know, is she allowed to apply for a provisional licence and then if she passes a full one seeing she's here on a spouse visa.

yes she is, i did. applied on line and got it in two weeks i think :smile: