PDA

View Full Version : Name Change, same sex, male ph partner wants to adopt my name (UK)

raintrek
29th October 2016, 20:24
I've not found any way this can be done but I thought I'd ask in case I missed something.

My about to be husband really wants to adopt my surname after we're married. We'd still need to apply for leave the remain (not ILR) so he can work and stay here.

I think he can probably change his surname here but that it won't be recognised in the Philippines so he couldn't change his PH passport, even after we got ILR in 5 years or whatever it will be by then, I don't believe the PH will recognise a changed surname.

Is this your understanding or do you know of some way a Filipino male can legally change his name?

raynaputi
29th October 2016, 21:48
Same sex marriage is not recognised in the Philippines so he won't be able to change his name (surname) to yours on his passport. The only change of name that the Philippine government allows are when there is a mistake in the birth certificate and of course for the women who get married.

raintrek
30th October 2016, 12:28
That was my thinking too. I've already told him that I am more than happy to adopt his name but I guess he wants to feel more British. Maybe some day if the Philippines recognises same sex relationships but I cannot see that happening any time soon so, his name it will be for us :-)