PDA

View Full Version : Aberfan Disaster Anniversary

Arthur Little
21st October 2016, 14:33
:olddude: ... I - and most of my generation - will remember only too well, hearing and reading of the terrible tragedy that claimed the lives of 144 people (116 of them, schoolchildren) in the Welsh pit village, 50 years ago.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-37689736

May they all rest in peace.

Arthur Little
21st October 2016, 16:09
Although it's since emerged - and been even longer suspected - that a disaster of its magnitude could've been averted, most of those to whom blame has been apportioned over the intervening half century, are now dead :icon_rolleyes: ... and, as Tuesday night's documentary presented by the BBC's Huw Edwards revealed, there're still numerous questions that remain unanswered. Moreover, many of those seem unlikely ever to be :nono-1-1: ... despite the massive changes to the surrounding landscape ... brought about by subsequent clearances of the slag heaps!

stevewool
21st October 2016, 19:43
I was so young when this happened and it was all over the news and in the papers too.
I remember coming home and seeing my mum and dad very upset after seeing it on tv, i also remember coming home and telling a joke that i heard from other children an having a good hiding fro my dad too.
I was so young and silly and had no idea then.

grahamw48
21st October 2016, 21:26
I'll be honest, it made me weep, seeing those old reports on TV news today.

mickcant
22nd October 2016, 06:54
I too can remember and re watched them and the cover ups that went on!
Mick.:NoNo:

Steve.r
22nd October 2016, 11:12
I can't remember this as I was born in 1966. But as it being dragged up again to the public awareness, I am sure it will again be scrutinized and blame again directed to long dead people. Another witch hunt, it seems our society has to always go the the n'th degree to blame someone. Tragic as it was, let it go.

grahamw48
22nd October 2016, 11:20
I didn't look at it at all that way Steve,

I was 14 when it happened, and remember that awful day well.

116 little kids... plus their teachers, were crushed and smothered to death in their school building, that's all.

I feel compassion for their families and friends.

mickcant
22nd October 2016, 12:03

116 little kids... plus their teachers, were crushed and smothered to death in their school building, that's all.

I was abt 22 then it seems most of the covering up was done by the "National Coal Board"
Mick.:olddude:

Arthur Little
22nd October 2016, 14:28

... remember that awful day well.

One survivor taking part in a memorial service, Janet Bickley - now 58 - recalls the fateful day in 1966 ... when she and her classmates were trapped under the coal debris that engulfed the building :bigcry::

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37728985 (video)

Arthur Little
22nd October 2016, 15:02
It seems most of the covering up was done by the "National Coal Board" ...
Mick.:olddude:

:iagree: ... looks that way.

I was about 22 then ...

So was I ... :doh!

Michael Parnham
22nd October 2016, 15:18
A very sad memory, should never have happened:NoNo:

Arthur Little
22nd October 2016, 15:39
A very sad memory, should never have happened. :NoNo:

Indeed! AGAIN ... I agree - on BOTH counts - it shouldn't!! :NoNo:

Steve.r
22nd October 2016, 15:41

I think it is just the way modern reporting is always looking to point a finger. Sure mistakes were made, but it never brings back loved ones, who's families of course I sympathise with.

Trefor
22nd October 2016, 17:50
Tragic. My Dad comes from the next village along the valley, another coal mining location. Real Jones boy, 16 to a bed, a flower bed etc. Been there lots of times to see fs ily and walk the hills. So much spoil on top of the mountain (Dad calls it the mountain anyway).