PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Karen (international name Sarika)

Terpe
16th October 2016, 12:03
Karen has caused the heavy rain on our house since early afternoon yesterday. It continued all night and has kept up all the day.

The TV news shows many parts of NCR flooded.
Over 180 flights have been cancelled.

Sunday is usually the busiest day of the week when families get out and about for fun, eating, shopping and bonding.

We never now make a plant to eat out on Sundays. Just too busy.

I had a planned project for today so didn't get around to going out for my usual walk, so not sure how the usual Sunday activities were impacted. If at all.
This Sunday falls just right for mid-month payday bonanza, Mall Sales and Christmas....

stevewool
16th October 2016, 12:28
Stay safe and dry Peter

Steve.r
16th October 2016, 12:34
I was able to get a message from Charie earlier saying our house survived the typhoon and no damage, but the power was out long before. Not heard anything since, but I have seen a few things on FB which shows bad flooding.

I hope everybody's families are all safe.

stevewool
16th October 2016, 12:57
I was able to get a message from Charie earlier saying our house survived the typhoon and no damage, but the power was out long before. Not heard anything since, but I have seen a few things on FB which shows bad flooding.

I hope everybody's families are all safe.

Any flooding in your area Steve

Steve.r
16th October 2016, 14:53
Yes Steve, looking at the news there are six major roads out, and the whole are around us is under water and all crops destroyed. But ok at our ranch.

Steve.r
16th October 2016, 14:56
This is the news summary from our area, the river bridge in the video is the one you cross to get to our place in Bongabon

http://news.abs-cbn.com/video/news/10/16/16/6-major-roads-impassable-in-typhoon-hit-nueva-ecija

Terpe
16th October 2016, 15:07
Good to know all is OK at your place Steve. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
16th October 2016, 15:12
My wife has messaged me, but low on battery because of the brownout.

Plenty of wind and rain, but so far no real damage there (10 miles from Dagupan, Pangasinan).

Main problem is boredom... as they can't watch TV.

I believe another typhoon is on the way though, isn't it ? I haven't checked online yet.

fred
17th October 2016, 03:46
Quite a bit of rain here too.. Completely ruined our beach BBQ on Saturday night.:mad:
Good for the grass I suppose.

fred
17th October 2016, 07:17
PH braces for 'much stronger' Lawin
MANILA - Officials are on high alert, as looming typhoon "Lawin" (international name: Haima) is expected to be "much stronger" and wider than 'Karen'.
"Lawin will be much stronger than Karen. It will have sufficient time and distance to intensify," warned Undersecretary Ricardo Jalad, NDRRMC executive director.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/59936-Typhoon-Karen-(international-name-Sarika)

SimonH
17th October 2016, 10:52
PH braces for 'much stronger' Lawin
MANILA - Officials are on high alert, as looming typhoon "Lawin" (international name: Haima) is expected to be "much stronger" and wider than 'Karen'.
"Lawin will be much stronger than Karen. It will have sufficient time and distance to intensify," warned Undersecretary Ricardo Jalad, NDRRMC executive director.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/59936-Typhoon-Karen-(international-name-Sarika)

Only predicted to hit the extreme North of Luzon :smile:

Terpe
17th October 2016, 12:58
Only predicted to hit the extreme North of Luzon :smile:

That's how I understand it too.
Oftentimes these typhoons have impacts many 000s kms outside the the area of intensity.
Hopefully we'll all be OK :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
17th October 2016, 13:04
I think it will still dump a whole lot of rain over our area too, but we are used to that.

Terpe
17th October 2016, 13:51
I think it will still dump a whole lot of rain over our area too, but we are used to that.

We'll be back in San Jose City this week for about 10 days. There's a Fiesta we've been invited to :Jump:

Steve.r
17th October 2016, 16:30
We'll be back in San Jose City this week for about 10 days. There's a Fiesta we've been invited to :Jump:
I have a friend Ronald in San Jose too, we fish together at Pantabangan. If you have time take a trip to the Dam, it's my favorite place. If you go there via Rizal, and through the mountain road, the security checkpoint that lets you into the dam is where I park (just outside) as you don't need a permit there, but that is where I caught my 6kilo Tawis. Ask the guards if they remember the foreigner fisherman in the montero, they will know me lol.
And, if you get to Bongabon, drop into our place, I can give you Charie's number and you can see my children Peter.

stevewool
17th October 2016, 21:27
I have a friend Ronald in San Jose too, we fish together at Pantabangan. If you have time take a trip to the Dam, it's my favorite place. If you go there via Rizal, and through the mountain road, the security checkpoint that lets you into the dam is where I park (just outside) as you don't need a permit there, but that is where I caught my 6kilo Tawis. Ask the guards if they remember the foreigner fisherman in the montero, they will know me lol.
And, if you get to Bongabon, drop into our place, I can give you Charie's number and you can see my children Peter.

Watch him Peter, don't need a permit, I bet you will end up paying his if you mention his name :biggrin:

Steve.r
17th October 2016, 22:06
Watch him Peter, don't need a permit, I bet you will end up paying his if you mention his name :biggrin:hey hey... a permit is free and lasts for a week. But you can fish for free where I said, the guards all knew me and would let me go in anyway. If you want to fish in the middle area, a permit can be got by driving over the dam, and up to the offices in the next brgy.

grahamw48
17th October 2016, 22:21
The dam near us is used as a 'resort' by the locals. :smile:

Here are a couple of my nieces (sisters), enjoying their day out: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Various%20Pangasinan%20family%20pics/13139209_1063435163730448_4329191527597223735_n_zpsbg71tq0h.jpg~original

Arthur Little
18th October 2016, 01:39
Myrna had a video call from one of her five brothers in Mindanao yesterday. :raining: heavily there ... but, thankfully, for the most part, the Southern islands appear to have escaped the worst of the bad weather.

Arthur Little
18th October 2016, 02:03
The dam near us is used as a 'resort' by the locals. :smile:

Here are a couple of my nieces (sisters), enjoying their day out: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Various%20Pangasinan%20family%20pics/13139209_1063435163730448_4329191527597223735_n_zpsbg71tq0h.jpg~original

:smile: Bonnie girls, Graham ... I'll bet they're BOTH so~o proud of their wee cousin! :xxgrinning--00xx3: