PDA

View Full Version : Cheap as chips

stevewool
15th October 2016, 10:33
We have all heard the sayings," you only get what you pay for",
Well there is a time when you have to think why pay so much because it has a name on the side, yes i like my camera and yes i would like the lenses to go with it too, but its the price , so i get wht i think is the next best thing.
I have just been to get some new tyres for the car , i needed 2 rear ones , well after looking at the prices from place to place i went around the corner to the local trye fitters.
What are you looking for part worn or new, " whats the price i asked ". £20 worn £35 new.
So i have 2 new black round rubber tryes fitted on my car for £70, yes they may not have a nice name on the side and yes i only do around 4000 miles each year and yes they may not last as long as a named brand, but they money i have saved from not doing this will go towards something else.

Terpe
15th October 2016, 13:51
Don't know why, but I always went for Continental tyres and Bosch brakes, wipers and plugs.

Even half price Michelin tyres at Costco filled with Nitrogen didn't tempt me to switch despite cost savings.

I often wondered about half-worn Continental tyres but never tried them. I guess they'd be fine but I've no data.

stevewool
15th October 2016, 14:24
Don't know why, but I always went for Continental tyres and Bosch brakes, wipers and plugs.

Even half price Michelin tyres at Costco filled with Nitrogen didn't tempt me to switch despite cost savings.

I often wondered about half-worn Continental tyres but never tried them. I guess they'd be fine but I've no data.

The last tyres i had was Continental too, but we had a contract to deliver theirs and like anything in life , you always seem to have a few left over, just like putting a wardrobe up you always end up with a few spare screws too, :biggrin:
In fact the 2 on the front are continentals

grahamw48
16th October 2016, 20:01
Depends upon your driving style, the vehicle that's going to be wearing them, and the use to which they are to be put.

One thing I would never compromise on where tyres are concerned is SAFETY... tight-fisted as I usually am.

Those four little patches of rubber are what's keeping you on the road and stopping you. :smile:

fred
17th October 2016, 03:36
So i have 2 new black round rubber tryes fitted on my car for £70

How much were the square tyres new and part worn Steve? (Flintstoneİ)

stevewool
17th October 2016, 13:06
How much were the square tyres new and part worn Steve? (Flintstoneİ)

They had none in stock used or new, plus they get a better price selling these to African states for some sort of kneckalace,

SimonH
17th October 2016, 13:47
The last tyres i had was Continental too, but we had a contract to deliver theirs and like anything in life , you always seem to have a few left over, just like putting a wardrobe up you always end up with a few spare screws too, :biggrin:
In fact the 2 on the front are continentals

Have a look to see if any 275/40 22's left over would you :wink:

stevewool
17th October 2016, 20:16
Have a look to see if any 275/40 22's left over would you :wink:

Thats some big tyres Simon

SimonH
17th October 2016, 20:39
Thats some big tyres Simon

I have 4 of them (well 5 if you include the spare) :smile: