PDA

View Full Version : Job agencies

Slip
28th September 2016, 12:46
Tons of work I can do out here in Leicestershire, but I am looking for the right job and one that meets the requirements for Harlene's FLR which is due in August.

If I wanted to work for the minimum wage I could get a job tomorrow. But I want at least £9.50p/h I think to meet the £18.600 limit. Personally I can survive on much less which is the annoying thing... But the FLR comes first, and at this moment we are using our savings to live on.... Another couple of months we will be using the profit from the sale of our flat. That I didn't want to touch for everyday expenses, just for home improvements. So need to find something by December I reckon, which brings me onto job agencies.
I have signed up with a couple... One in particular is saved as "Rubbish agency" on my phone. Because every time they phone with a job offer there is always a catch. Yesterday we had gone out for the morning. My phone rang at 9.45.... Can you go to so and so job now, they need you...... erm, sorry no. I need a bit more notice then go now. Can you go this afternoon then? No, tell me the day before and I can do any job you want if it's what I told you I am after and the pay I want.
Day before... We have a job for you. Completely different to what you do, are you up to trying something new? erm.... yeah, what is it?..... it's a driving job....... well I am not to keen on driving at the best of times, so wouldn't fancy doing it as a job...... But it's not driving all day, you load up, drive to a site, unload then load up for the next site...... ok... what's the pay? oh, £7.20p/h..... But you know I am after £9.50p/h right...... oh, so you are not interested then.... What do you think.... OH ok, if we get anything we will let you know.

Don't get me started on the other agency that sent me on a trail to a job last week and I did 8 hours there but the whole 8 hours I feared for my life. I was so scared.... I have been driving forklifts for over 20 years and I am health and safety in the workplace trained. Now when you have in excess of 40 forklifts travelling at over 15 mph and all directions and no traffic rules in place, not to mention lifting freight high in the air in an unsafe manner... then someone will get killed oneday. So when they asked me to go back for another nightshift... I refused and made certain I told them why.
Funny enough they haven't offered me anything since!

Terpe
28th September 2016, 13:33
It's possible you're under the false impression that agencies are interested in finding you gainful employment at a pay rate that you need
:NoNo:

Their objective is to fill the employment gap of their paying customers by hook or by crook in an effort to maintain their profit target.
:icon_lol:

Well done for sticking to what you want and need.
Here's wishing you best of luck to secure something asap and hoping you won't need to kneel to the unscrupulous demands of many.

There are some good agencies out there.
Good luck as always slip.

stevewool
28th September 2016, 14:52
What are you looking for, driving paying that per hour, depends on what licence you have,
Agency work is crap you get the crap jobs at the last minute,

Slip
28th September 2016, 15:22
What are you looking for, driving paying that per hour, depends on what licence you have,
Agency work is crap you get the crap jobs at the last minute,

Not at all interested in driving. I want just a warehouse job now. Loading/unloading vehicles. Picking/packing orders. Sorting out deliveries, stock taking etc. That sort of thing. I am over qualified. But not interested as going back as a supervisor/teamleader into an existing company. Probably would if it was a new company and everybody was new. I'd hate an outsider coming in and telling me what to do if I had been doing the job for years.
I have applied for around 8 jobs this week. About 5 are through agencies and the others direct with the employer. So will see if anything comes from them.

Michael Parnham
28th September 2016, 16:42
If I wanted a job I would get in touch with TNT, FEDEX, or UPS ect and ask if they want owner driver couriers, if so buy a 7cwt van and become self employed doing deliveries for any of them. I know a couple of people who do that type of work and they seem to make a decent living, just a thought:Erm:

Slip
28th September 2016, 17:02
If I wanted a job I would get in touch with TNT, FEDEX, or UPS ect and ask if they want owner driver couriers, if so buy a 7cwt van and become self employed doing deliveries for any of them. I know a couple of people who do that type of work and they seem to make a decent living, just a thought:Erm:

But I really do not want to drive for a living. I hate driving. If I could get away with not driving my car and walking I would.
My mate is a bus driver here, he has said he can get me a job driving the buses tomorrow...

I told him only when I am desperate.

Steve.r
28th September 2016, 17:26
Agencies are rubbish, all of them. I am registered with loads but they never offer anything. Holding out for the right job is tough, it looks like I might have to lower my standards and do a job I am well over qualified to do. It might come to this. You really have to be so proactive to find something worth doing, and something you will enjoy.

stevewool
28th September 2016, 19:30

No holiday pay, 100+ drops per day, if you want to take a holiday you have to pay someone to take over your round,
To many problems, but if you can get someone to work all hours and very hard too , well there are not may English people doing this :NoNo:

Harry T
29th September 2016, 15:36
Tons of work I can do out here in Leicestershire, but I am looking for the right job and one that meets the requirements for Harlene's FLR which is due in August.

If I wanted to work for the minimum wage I could get a job tomorrow. But I want at least £9.50p/h I think to meet the £18.600 limit. Personally I can survive on much less which is the annoying thing... But the FLR comes first, and at this moment we are using our savings to live on.... Another couple of months we will be using the profit from the sale of our flat. That I didn't want to touch for everyday expenses, just for home improvements. So need to find something by December I reckon, which brings me onto job agencies.
I have signed up with a couple... One in particular is saved as "Rubbish agency" on my phone. Because every time they phone with a job offer there is always a catch. Yesterday we had gone out for the morning. My phone rang at 9.45.... Can you go to so and so job now, they need you...... erm, sorry no. I need a bit more notice then go now. Can you go this afternoon then? No, tell me the day before and I can do any job you want if it's what I told you I am after and the pay I want.
Day before... We have a job for you. Completely different to what you do, are you up to trying something new? erm.... yeah, what is it?..... it's a driving job....... well I am not to keen on driving at the best of times, so wouldn't fancy doing it as a job...... But it's not driving all day, you load up, drive to a site, unload then load up for the next site...... ok... what's the pay? oh, £7.20p/h..... But you know I am after £9.50p/h right...... oh, so you are not interested then.... What do you think.... OH ok, if we get anything we will let you know.

Don't get me started on the other agency that sent me on a trail to a job last week and I did 8 hours there but the whole 8 hours I feared for my life. I was so scared.... I have been driving forklifts for over 20 years and I am health and safety in the workplace trained. Now when you have in excess of 40 forklifts travelling at over 15 mph and all directions and no traffic rules in place, not to mention lifting freight high in the air in an unsafe manner... then someone will get killed oneday. So when they asked me to go back for another nightshift... I refused and made certain I told them why.
Funny enough they haven't offered me anything since!

I think if you combine your savings, it doesnt have to be £18600, thats unless your savings are only 50p.. lols

Terpe
29th September 2016, 15:45
I think if you combine your savings, it doesnt have to be £18600, thats unless your savings are only 50p.. lols

Only savings above £16k count

Slip
29th September 2016, 16:37
Only savings above £16k count

So for arguments sake, I have 50k in the bank from the sale of my house. Will they take that instead of a salary as my funds?

Slip
29th September 2016, 16:40
I'm currently waiting for Harlene outside a nursing home 10 minutes walk from us. She got chatting to a Filipino in the shop just now who works in the nursing home. She said they are hiring. So drove straight there.

Been sat outside 20 minutes waiting for her!

Harry T
29th September 2016, 20:35
I'm currently waiting for Harlene outside a nursing home 10 minutes walk from us. She got chatting to a Filipino in the shop just now who works in the nursing home. She said they are hiring. So drove straight there.

Been sat outside 20 minutes waiting for her!

Good luck to you both... i will search out the info for you from the Gov website..

Here it is, read through it, but the info relevant to you, is i think Section 7, Cash Savings.. and in particular 7.2.4

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

I have read through the ILR example, and i know what i think you need in Savings, but once you have read it, tell me what you think you need, from the Table in 7.2.4....

fred
30th September 2016, 06:17
Sometimes just biting the bullet and getting back to work (even for less money) opens doors to better opportunities.

stevewool
30th September 2016, 07:05
Sometimes just biting the bullet and getting back to work (even for less money) opens doors to better opportunities.

Correct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
30th September 2016, 07:24
I think its not just about getting back to work, but he needs a job that meets his financial requirement for ILR for Harlene.. I have tried to show, that he does not need to find a job paying £18600 as he has savings, which should mean he can take a job of less than £9.50 per hour, which will in turn then mean he has more choice in what work he does, Im of the opinion that people shouldnt need to do 2 jobs to meet the requirement.. :smile:
If you havent read the above link on savings Slip then please do so, as i think you have options..:wink:

grahamw48
30th September 2016, 18:30
Daft question, but do the wife's earnings not count towards the income requirement ? :Erm:

As for agencies.... worst thing that ever happened to the employment sector. Bunch of unqualified parasites, for the most part. :NoNo:

Steve.r
30th September 2016, 19:01
As for agencies.... worst thing that ever happened to the employment sector. Bunch of unqualified parasites, for the most part. :NoNo:
correct

Slip
30th September 2016, 19:55
Thanks for all the info. I still need to be earning a good amount a month regardless. I have bills to pay as well. So even if Harlene didn't require the FLR I'd be looking to take home £1,200 pm

From reading what Harry says I need a lot of savings still anyway to meet the requirements

Arthur Little
30th September 2016, 20:29
Thanks for all the info. I still need to be earning a good amount a month regardless. I have bills to pay as well. So even if Harlene didn't require the FLR I'd be looking to take home £1,200 pm

From reading what Harry says I need a lot of savings still anyway to meet the requirements

On a happier note ... I hope you & Harlene - along with your little one - are settling nicely into your new surroundings.

Plus, good luck with the job search. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
30th September 2016, 20:39
On a happier note ... I hope you & Harlene - along with your little one - are settling nicely into your new surroundings.

Plus, good luck with the job search. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes thank you Arthur. We are enjoying exploring the local area. It's so nice to not be stuck in London traffic every time we go out.

Rosie1958
1st October 2016, 08:44
Keep at it Slip as you will find something suitable! After a 5 month search which fortunately was over the summer months, I start my new job next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
1st October 2016, 08:59
Lots of jobs out there, but if its not right for you then why take it, we have just started 4 new drivers in the last few weeks , but only 2 are left, i had to give someone there weeks notice yesterday, its never easy or nice doing that, but he was not doing the job the way we wanted.
Its hard trying to get that job but sometimes its hard trying to keep it too.

Slip
1st October 2016, 11:23
Lots of jobs out there, but if its not right for you then why take it, we have just started 4 new drivers in the last few weeks , but only 2 are left, i had to give someone there weeks notice yesterday, its never easy or nice doing that, but he was not doing the job the way we wanted.
Its hard trying to get that job but sometimes its hard trying to keep it too.

Well I am chucking my CV out to different local companies via email in the hope they may have jobs. Reluctant to work via an agency. I don't mind them finding me the initial job, I mean that's how I got my last job, I was there 12 years. But do not want to work directly for the agency. The 9 hour trial I did the other week I got paid for the other day. Was meant to be 9.50 p/h I took home £54! I am guessing I paid emergency tax as they wouldn't have known my tax code as i only just got my p45 in the post yesterday from my previous job.
I guess I could contact them to ask, but really can't be arsed!

fred
1st October 2016, 11:42
Was meant to be 9.50 p/h I took home £54!

Tut tut..Whats that amount too???
3 pints and a Mars bar there these day`s?

stevewool
1st October 2016, 12:15
Tut tut..Whats that amount too???
3 pints and a Mars bar there these day`s?

Welcome to the real world.

HGV driver Class 2 starting rate £9.30 then after so many months you will receive a bonus of £55 per week - which added to your £9.30 will give you around £10.40 per hour, but god help you if you make a mistake you then will lose your bonus or part of it so going down in their hourly rate.

It's hard out there!

stevewool
1st October 2016, 12:19
Well I am chucking my CV out to different local companies via email in the hope they may have jobs. Reluctant to work via an agency. I don't mind them finding me the initial job, I mean that's how I got my last job, I was there 12 years. But do not want to work directly for the agency. The 9 hour trial I did the other week I got paid for the other day. Was meant to be 9.50 p/h I took home £54! I am guessing I paid emergency tax as they wouldn't have known my tax code as i only just got my p45 in the post yesterday from my previous job.
I guess I could contact them to ask, but really can't be arsed!

You can always get your tax back , well in time you can,
Lots of major companies will get there staff from agencies that way they can have a small contract and after so long get rid of that person and get another one.
Some say this is wrong but lets face it what would you do if you could get away with it.
I am so glad i am not in that situation any more, and think on not much longer to be in work either

fred
1st October 2016, 12:51
Welcome to the real world
HGV driver class 2 starting rate £9.30 then after so many months you will receive a bonus of £55 per week which added to your £9.30 will give you around £10,40 per hour, but god help you if you make a mistake you then will loose your bonus or part of it so going down in there hourly rate ,
Its hard out there

As a self employed painter/decorator I was on about 120.00 quid a day on average about 12 years ago..
The phone was ringing off the hook for years...They just couldnt get enough of me..Really proud of that.
I started about 9.00AM and was done by 2.00PM.. Mind you,I was damned efficient and the quality was second to none so really good value for my customer`s..
(even if I do say so myself!!):icon_lol:

stevewool
1st October 2016, 13:04
As a self employed painter/decorator I was on about 120.00 quid a day on average about 12 years ago..
The phone was ringing off the hook for years...They just couldnt get enough of me..Really proud of that.
I started about 9.00AM and was done by 2.00PM.. Mind you,I was damned efficient and the quality was second to none so really good value for my customer`s..

That was a good rate in them there days Fred, but like anything if you are good you will always be in work,

Slip
1st October 2016, 17:34

That's about what I was on a day in my last job after tax and ins, but worked 12 hour shifts for that.

Wish I could get that wage here doing the same type of job

Arthur Little
1st October 2016, 18:54
£10.40 per hour

...... :yeahthat:'s certainly a :cwm24: ... blinkin' good rate!

Arthur Little
2nd October 2016, 01:48
After a 5 month search which fortunately was over the summer months, I start my new job next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well done, Rosie ... and all the BEST in your new employment. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
5th October 2016, 20:09
Well I start another job tomorrow. Four days training at £7.50p/h. Then start shifts after.
Apparently it's £9.53 p/h if I do nights 11pm-7am.

It's only temporary up to Christmas, but it could become permanent.

Better working than at home and going out spending money I'm not earning!

stevewool
5th October 2016, 20:18
Well I start another job tomorrow. Four days training at £7.50p/h. Then start shifts after.

Better working than at home and going out spending money I'm not earning!

Where is that, if you dont mind me asking

Slip
5th October 2016, 20:44
Where is that, if you dont mind me asking

M&S distribution centre @ Castle Donnington.

Around 9 miles drive for me.

stevewool
5th October 2016, 21:14
M&S distribution centre @ Castle Donnington.

Around 9 miles drive for me.

Thats a very large building, and lots of agency workers that are working there too.
Have you tried UPS or DHL at the airport,
We live only a few miles from there also, once you have settled in your house, give us a shout and maybe do a meet i bet the wives will enjoy a good old chat

grahamw48
5th October 2016, 21:16
Best of luck with it mate... foot in the door. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
5th October 2016, 22:04
I had a call this afternoon about an interview in Aylesbury next wednesday. Sod's law right... I took a short notice booking in hospital for an operation next wednesday too. Luckily the agency guy has rearranged for Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Harry T
5th October 2016, 22:21
I had a call this afternoon about an interview in Aylesbury next wednesday. Sod's law right... I took a short notice booking in hospital for an operation next wednesday too. Luckily the agency guy has rearranged for Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

good luck with the Op and the interview.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
5th October 2016, 22:23
Keep looking, and maybe temporary work will lead to something better once you get more local contacts.

I have been made redundant 3 times over the years, and not always at good economic times. You have to keep plugging and things will come good in the end. It is often being in the right place/talking to the right network contact etc. That gets you that role you want.

grahamw48
5th October 2016, 22:28

Good luck to you also Steve ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
5th October 2016, 23:22
good luck with the Op and the interview.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good luck to you also Steve ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thank you both :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
6th October 2016, 00:07

BEST of luck ... hopefully, this job will lead to a more permanent arrangement. :biggrin:

Likewise to you, Steve ... on BOTH counts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
6th October 2016, 02:22
Good luck next Tuesday Steve.
Did your parents ever manage to grow those trees BTW?

stevewool
6th October 2016, 05:52

Good luck Steve on both of them

Steve.r
6th October 2016, 11:28
Good luck next Tuesday Steve.
Did your parents ever manage to grow those trees BTW?

Thanks guys

Fred,
I just posted a couple of photos in the Plants from the Philippine thread, yes, they are still growing strong.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/59119-Growing-plants-from-the-Philippines

Slip
6th October 2016, 13:15
Well that was boring.
Started at 6.30am quick induction done by 7.45 than sat around until 10am until the trainer's were ready. Taught us how to lift boxes and move stuff with a pump truck. Also how to tape boxes up.
Then we finished at 12.30.
I start proper training tomorrow for 4 days.... Apparently 6.30-2.30.

Took me 30 minutes to drive this morning, those roads are dark around here :grosyeux:. Was better coming home, just over 20.

Steve.r
6th October 2016, 13:33
Thats a good start Slip

Arthur Little
6th October 2016, 15:07
Thats a good start Slip

Indeed it is ...:iagree:!

Slip
6th October 2016, 16:52
Thats a good start Slip

It was, but I was learning stuff I've been doing, and also teaching agency workers myself for the past so many years.

I didn't say anything though, didn't want to seem like billy big boll**ks from London who knows it all.

grahamw48
6th October 2016, 19:41
Very wise mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
7th October 2016, 18:31
Welcome to the real world.

HGV driver Class 2 starting rate £9.30 then after so many months you will receive a bonus of £55 per week - which added to your £9.30 will give you around £10.40 per hour, but god help you if you make a mistake you then will lose your bonus or part of it so going down in their hourly rate.

It's hard out there!

When I finished in the transport industry 14 years ago, class one drivers were on £5 per hour no overtime rates or weekend rates just £5 and they were averaging 100,000 miles per year :cwm25:

grahamw48
7th October 2016, 23:24
I took and passed my HGV back in the 1970s, but never used it in the UK.

Too much hard work for the money here.

Even those dump truck plant operators (which I also have a 'ticket'/licence for) are on about £11 an hour. Well they were.... of course the immigrants have probably knocked that down to about 4 quid now. :NoNo:

Slip
15th October 2016, 09:42
Well I quit M&S. Just wasn't right for me.

I lasted a week and decided I just couldn't put myself through another minute of it.
The job was mind numbingly boring..... I honestly was bored stiff for the whole time I was there each day. So although I've effectively shot myself in the foot by leaving before I got another job. I feel for the sake of sanity I've done the right thing.

Plus Harlene starts work Monday :icon_lol: only in a nursing home, as and when they need her, but it's something. Plus she had an interview in Macdonald's yesterday. Told her she probably won't like it, but she wanted to go for it. As it's a guaranteed 20 hours a week as opposed to the nursing home.

If it wasn't for her visa FLR in August I'd go for any old job.... But must meet those bloody requirements!

stevewool
15th October 2016, 10:22
Its just getting the right one that suit you.
We have a few drivers who have been with us for years the now there runs and job inside out, but if you have to change them they scream and shout " i am leaving ", and to tell th truth many have had jobs offered them at other driving companies.
But here is the "but", they are use to where they are , 10 even 20 years i the same job you are secure , leaving here well who knows what it will be like where you are going into .

Slip
18th October 2016, 15:58
Well I have a job interview Friday. Not through an agency either which is a good thing. Downside is the job advert didn't mention the rate of pay.
But the job sounds more like what I'm after, so hopefully the pay will be OK. Plus it's 30 seconds from where I was working at M&S the other week. So I know exactly how to get there and how long it will take.

stevewool
18th October 2016, 17:07
Well I have a job interview Friday. Not through an agency either which is a good thing. Downside is the job advert didn't mention the rate of pay.
But the job sounds more like what I'm after, so hopefully the pay will be OK. Plus it's 30 seconds from where I was working at M&S the other week. So I know exactly how to get there and how long it will take.

Good luck, lots of places on the industrial estate to find work

Steve.r
18th October 2016, 17:14
Good luck slip

stevewool
18th October 2016, 17:37
Good luck slip

How are you getting on Steve with the searching

Steve.r
18th October 2016, 18:10
How are you getting on Steve with the searching
I had an interview last week, but haven't heard anything yet Steve. Still looking

Slip
22nd October 2016, 10:38
Well the interview went well. The warehouse manager had only been there since April and is trying to turn things around. He's looking for 2 teamleaders and 4 warehouseman. He said I was by far the best suited he had seen, but still had more to see that day and Monday, so it's possible he may see better.
He couldn't tell me the pay, but said if they offer me the job I will hear by middle next week and they will tell me the pay then. But he did say he believes it's either £7.71 or £8.81 p/h. Obviously if it was the lesser that isn't good enough. But I could possibly take it for £8.81. although it's 14p under what I worked out I need to meet Harlene's FLR requirements. I do have some savings in the bank. That may meet the shortfall.

grahamw48
22nd October 2016, 11:26
Good luck mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hopefully you'll be able to extract some more money out of them once you've proved yourself. :smile:

stevewool
22nd October 2016, 16:18
Well the interview went well. The warehouse manager had only been there since April and is trying to turn things around. He's looking for 2 teamleaders and 4 warehouseman. He said I was by far the best suited he had seen, but still had more to see that day and Monday, so it's possible he may see better.
He couldn't tell me the pay, but said if they offer me the job I will hear by middle next week and they will tell me the pay then. But he did say he believes it's either £7.71 or £8.81 p/h. Obviously if it was the lesser that isn't good enough. But I could possibly take it for £8.81. although it's 14p under what I worked out I need to meet Harlene's FLR requirements. I do have some savings in the bank. That may meet the shortfall.

Could there be any overtime to increase the total amount

Slip
22nd October 2016, 17:05
Could there be any overtime to increase the total amount

He did say they are busy and there is overtime, but in my eyes if they are employing 6 more people, then there may not be the overtime. But I have discussed it with Harlene. If the pay is the the higher amount I will take the job. It is weekly pay, so I can see how the wages look on average for the first 3 months or so, then if need be bring my savings into play (if I haven't spent them all!)
I think we can apply for Harlene's Visa around about May, I'll have to check, I forgot.

Slip
26th October 2016, 13:41
Well still no news on the job from last week. But just had a phonecall from a job I applied for a month ago.
Downsides it's permanent nights and around 20 miles away in Tamworth.
Upside is the advertised pay is what I was on in my last job. Plus it's not through an agency.

So I have an interview Friday, fingers crossed it goes well because for that pay, I will take the downsides.

stevewool
26th October 2016, 15:04
Great road links to Tamworth and being nights too , nice and quite on the road's back home

Terpe
26th October 2016, 15:40
Well still no news on the job from last week. But just had a phonecall from a job I applied for a month ago.
Downsides it's permanent nights and around 20 miles away in Tamworth.
Upside is the advertised pay is what I was on in my last job. Plus it's not through an agency.

So I have an interview Friday, fingers crossed it goes well because for that pay, I will take the downsides.

This sounds promising slip. Hope this one works out for you all.

Harry T
26th October 2016, 19:05
There are a lot worse places than Tamworth slip, would rather do permanent nights than shift work any time, at least you can get into a routine, i would have thought 20 miles at that time of night is a walk in the Park mate.... to be honest sounds good to me, good luck to you

grahamw48
26th October 2016, 20:21
Yep... fingers crossed again mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
30th October 2016, 20:50
I have an interview Friday, fingers crossed it goes well because for that pay, I will take the downsides.

Meant to ask, :cwm25: ... how did last Friday's interview go?

Slip
30th October 2016, 21:27
Meant to ask, :cwm25: ... how did last Friday's interview go?

Think the interview went pretty well.
But I had to do a test before the interview. Part of it involved mathematical questions. I am not to clever at certain aspects of maths, wouldn't you know it, 25% of the questions were my achilles heel! I did my best though and the interviewer said he had no interest in it, it had to go to head office.
So it's in there hands now. Should hear in a week to 10 days.

jonnijon
30th October 2016, 22:52
Gone are the days when you went for a job and they asked you if you can start NOW.:NoNo:

Slip
30th October 2016, 23:09
Gone are the days when you went for a job and they asked you if you can start NOW.:NoNo:

Lol. So true. Thing is if I need to do sums I use the calculator on my mobile if I'm stuck. Wasn't allowed on the test. Although they left me in the room on my own, so I was tempted! But they may have been testing my honesty :cwm25:

stevewool
31st October 2016, 06:42
I like to go on face value , sometimes you can tell if someone is right for the job in how they are acting in the interview,

Slip
3rd November 2016, 11:46
Well in the last 24 hours I was offered the job in Tamworth which I accepted. However.... Once they emailed me the contract I noticed the basic pay was only just over £15,000 to get the advertised rate it all depended on certain targets being met.
So after working it out I realised some months I may earn around £1700, other months lucky to get £1200 . In other words you'd never know what you'd be earning each month... Just what you could potentially earn. So what with having to drive 40 miles a day I thought it wouldn't be worth it.
So I ended up contacting them and turning it down.

Then this morning the job I went for a couple weeks ago got back to me to see if I was still interested as they'd like to offer me the job. I said yes, but I need to know the hourly rate as the warehouse manager wasn't sure when he interviewed me.
Turns out it's £9.91ph. OK not great. But it's a job. It's also 4p hour short to meet the visa requirements, but maybe I can do overtime if anys going.
Anyway I start there on Monday. So at last I am back to work, it's weekly pay as well. Which is handy to keep track on if I need to earn more.

I also applied for a job a couple of days ago which is around 10 minutes from home and I think it was around £500 over the £18,600 visa requirement. I wouldn't mind that job as I think I am more suited to it. I think applications close n three weeks for that one. So will see how I get on in this job. If I'm not liking it and get an interview I'll go for it.

stevewool
3rd November 2016, 11:51
Just like waiting for a London bus, as soon as one comes another one is right behind it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
3rd November 2016, 13:11
Congratulations, Im sure combined with your 50p savings you will meet the requirements :biggrin:

Terpe
3rd November 2016, 14:03
Congratulations slip, hope all goes well. At least you'll have an income to support you.

Just as an aside the UKVI income requirement means total household income. Your wife might be able to find a part time income to get you both hitting the target. Just a suggestion/reminder.

Slip
3rd November 2016, 16:10
Congratulations slip, hope all goes well. At least you'll have an income to support you.

Just as an aside the UKVI income requirement means total household income. Your wife might be able to find a part time income to get you both hitting the target. Just a suggestion/reminder.

I didn't think we was allowed to take her income into consideration when applying for FLR.
She is currently working, but only what they call bank hours. Basically she tells them when she's available, if they want her they rota her on.
However with this new job off mine she'd likely only work 16 hours a week.

Slip
3rd November 2016, 16:14
Congratulations, Im sure combined with your 50p savings you will meet the requirements :biggrin:

Time it comes to apply and with the new car I just got and other bits for the home since we moved in my savings have taken a hit. We still need a a few bits as well.
So would rather go on the salary route as don't know what savings we will have left.

Terpe
3rd November 2016, 17:57
I didn't think we was allowed to take her income into consideration when applying for FLR.
She is currently working, but only what they call bank hours. Basically she tells them when she's available, if they want her they rota her on.
However with this new job off mine she'd likely only work 16 hours a week.

Here's the Financial Requirement link
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Here's an extract

'
-4. Sources for meeting the financial
requirement
4.1. Ways of meeting the financial requirement
4.1.1. Where the applicant has to meet the minimum income threshold, the financial
requirement can be met in the following 5 ways:
 Income from salaried or non-salaried employment of the partner (and/or the
applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). This is referred to as
Category A or Category B, depending on the employment history. See section 5 of
this guidance.
4. Sources for meeting the financial
requirement
4.1.1. Where the applicant has to meet the minimum income threshold, the financial
applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). This is referred to as
this guidance.'

Slip
3rd November 2016, 18:18
Here's the Financial Requirement link

Here's an extract

'
-4. Sources for meeting the financial
requirement
this guidance.
4. Sources for meeting the financial
requirement
this guidance.'

That's a weight from my mind.

Thanks Terpe.

Arthur Little
3rd November 2016, 18:20
... this morning the job I went for a couple weeks ago got back to me to see if I was still interested as they'd like to offer me the job. I said yes, but I need to know the hourly rate as the warehouse manager wasn't sure when he interviewed me.
Turns out it's £9.91ph. OK not great. But it's a job. It's also 4p hour short to meet the visa requirements, but maybe I can do overtime if any's going.

Anyway I start there on Monday. So at last I am back to work, it's weekly pay as well. Which is handy to keep track on if I need to earn more.

CONGRATS :Jump: ... and all the BEST!

also applied for a job a couple of days ago which is around 10 minutes from home and I think it was around £500 over the £18,600 visa requirement. I wouldn't mind that job as I think I am more suited to it. I think applications close n three weeks for that one. So will see how I get on in this job. If I'm not liking it and get an interview I'll go for it.

:yeahthat:'d be ideal ... definitely worthwhile keeping your options open!

Trefor
3rd November 2016, 19:02
Well done, as has been said, jobs are like buses!