PDA

View Full Version : I am officially unemployed

Slip
12th September 2016, 14:59
Technically I finished up last Wednesday morning. But told my boss I may be back when my next shift starts Monday (today) it all hinged on if we exchanged contracts on my days off on the house we are buying, which we did last Thursday.

So because I had handed my notice in on 25th July, I'd already worked my required months notice and was allowed to leave straight away

So today I popped along to say goodbye to a few of the guys I had worked with the past twelve years and to hand in my security passes and officially become unemployed for the first time ever since I was 16!

stevewool
12th September 2016, 15:08
Onwards and upwards to Leicester, good luck

grahamw48
12th September 2016, 18:18
Good luck mate.

We're told that the economy is booming, so hopefully you'll be back clocking in pretty soon. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
13th September 2016, 10:00
Here's hoping you secure employment very soon slip.
Good luck

Slip
13th September 2016, 11:38
Applied for a job at East Midlands airport a few weeks ago doing a similar job to what I was doing. Heard nothing back so assumed I was unsuccessful.
Just got a phonecall from the agency acting on their behalf this morning, want me to go in on Monday to register so they can pass my details on as the company are interested in me.

Hopefully I get the job. Although not really what I want as it's permanent nights and I hated my night shifts. But that's because they were 12 hour nights. These will be 8 hour nights, and I've always said I can do 8 hours as I struggle after that!
Plus the pay is a bit better then what I have seen for other jobs I've been going for.

Like I've said to Harlene, if I get it, I don't have to stay there... It's just a foot in the door.

stevewool
13th September 2016, 11:44
I am a great believer that if you are in work its easy to get another job, but it's very hard getting that first job

Slip
13th September 2016, 17:21
Oh well, forget that job offer. The agency just emailed. The company have decided they are not taking anyone on now!
To be honest, even though I am slightly disappointed. I am not to bothered as like I said earlier, didn't really fancy nights

Steve.r
13th September 2016, 17:32
Steve is right, it's easy to look when you are still employed, but when you are already out, it is so difficult to get back in. I am struggling

stevewool
13th September 2016, 20:40
Oh well, forget that job offer. The agency just emailed. The company have decided they are not taking anyone on now!
To be honest, even though I am slightly disappointed. I am not to bothered as like I said earlier, didn't really fancy nights

What sort of work are you after Slip

Rosie1958
13th September 2016, 21:30
I've been looking for work for 4 months and like Steve R has said, it's a struggle to find suitable work. There aren't many jobs about at the moment and there is so much competition for those positions that are vacant.

I'd recommend uploading your CV onto CV Library website and setting up some job alerts. The government website, Universal Jobs Match, is another one to be regularly checked, along with Ideal, Totaljobs.com and others that come up through searching in google. Best of luck Slip, I hope you find something soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
13th September 2016, 21:36
What sort of work are you after Slip

Mainly warehousing/forklift driver. Those jobs are plentiful, but I need to be able to meet the £18,600 for Harlene's flr and unfortunately £7.20-£8 p/h won't touch it.
My skill set is the building of aircraft units with cargo, anything from a box at a kilo to a box at 5 tonne+. Animals, clothes, cars etc etc... I'm also trained to 'build' radioactive material and dangerous goods so they can fly safely on an aircraft.
Believe it or not, you can't just throw these things around and expect them to travel x amount of miles and arrive in the same condition they left. Safety of passengers is paramount!

But of course my job I'm trained in only exists at airports and not ten to the penny like normal warehousing work

Slip
13th September 2016, 21:37
I've been looking for work for 4 months and like Steve R has said, it's a struggle to find suitable work. There aren't many jobs about at the moment and there is so much competition for those positions that are vacant.

I'd recommend uploading your CV onto CV Library website and setting up some job alerts. The government website, Universal Jobs Match, is another one to be regularly checked, along with Ideal, Totaljobs.com and others that come up through searching in google. Best of luck Slip, I hope you find something soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks..
Already have my CV on CV library. And a few others

Michael Parnham
14th September 2016, 06:35
Hope it won't be too long before your job search comes to an end Slip, fingers crossed for you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
14th September 2016, 06:48
Mainly warehousing/forklift driver. Those jobs are plentiful, but I need to be able to meet the £18,600 for Harlene's flr and unfortunately £7.20-£8 p/h won't touch it.
My skill set is the building of aircraft units with cargo, anything from a box at a kilo to a box at 5 tonne+. Animals, clothes, cars etc etc... I'm also trained to 'build' radioactive material and dangerous goods so they can fly safely on an aircraft.
Believe it or not, you can't just throw these things around and expect them to travel x amount of miles and arrive in the same condition they left. Safety of passengers is paramount!

But of course my job I'm trained in only exists at airports and not ten to the penny like normal warehousing work

We have a collection at one of these companies that make these packages, they are based in Derbyshire, Daher Aerospace and a friend who used to be a milkman then a delivery van driver and now he works there too