PDA

View Full Version : Davao City Bombing

Terpe
6th September 2016, 15:57
We learned yesterday that the grandchildren of my wife's cousin are in ICU having been victims of the incident.

We saw their father being interviewed on TV.

We contacted my wife's cousin and offered help.
We know the family very well but didn't visit often as they lived in an area not recommended for visiting by me.

Also lady we know very well who was a neighbour of ours in my wife's home town died in the attack.

When we lived in Davao we would often go to that night market.

Security in Quezon City, Cubao and Marikina has increased significantly.

fred
6th September 2016, 16:10
Very sorry to hear that Peter...Very few words I can think to add but my thoughts are with your family members and also your old neighbours.

Michael Parnham
6th September 2016, 17:12
I would imagine when some one you know is involved it seems even more terrible, so sorry to hear you had relatives and friends affected Peter!

Arthur Little
6th September 2016, 17:14
We learned yesterday that the grandchildren of my wife's cousin are in ICU having been victims of the incident.

We saw their father being interviewed on TV.

We contacted my wife's cousin and offered help.
We know the family very well but didn't visit often as they lived in an area not recommended for visiting by me.

Also lady we know very well who was a neighbour of ours in my wife's home town died in the attack.

When we lived in Davao we would often go to that night market.

Very sorry to hear that Peter...Very few words I can think to add but my thoughts are with your family members and also your old neighbours.

Likewise! All the more sad when young children are involved. :bigcry:

Carina ... her relatives - as well as the family of the lady who was killed in the carnage - will long-remain in the thoughts and :pray:ers of BOTH Myrna and myself, Peter. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
6th September 2016, 17:59
So sorry to here your sad news Peter , mine and Emma's thoughts are with you

Doc Alan
6th September 2016, 18:22
Condolences Peter and Carina.

grahamw48
6th September 2016, 20:19
That is terrible !

Condolences to all concerned.

When will stupid people stop fighting each other and hurting the innocent ? :doh :mad:

Ako Si Jamie
6th September 2016, 20:32
Sorry to hear that, Peter.

bigmarco
6th September 2016, 21:38
Sad news. I hope they make a recovery.

Terpe
7th September 2016, 01:51
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I'll update when we have some news.
Seems they are still in ICU and their condition appears to be stable. Hopefully a sufficient recovery will be made to move to a regular unit.

Yes it's true that knowing people who got hurt and knowing the place really hits you.

The military are making a massive action against ASG in Sulu

Harry T
7th September 2016, 06:09
I hope everyone makes a full recovery from this terrible terrible Bombing, how people can justify these kind of actions, no-matter what beliefs they have is beyond me :NoNo:.... I can in some way understand attacking Military Targets, and to an extent maybe Government Targets, but to kill and maim innocent people is beyond me and i dont really know what it achieves...
As for taking action against ASG yes the Military can lets say wipe them out in Sulu, but then small groups remain who can still cause massive damage as we have seen in Davao and in France, its just the mind set of these people who wont ever accept that they are a minority and the Ballot Box is better than a Bomb..

Terpe
14th September 2016, 02:33
Quick update.

The kids remain in ICU but making progress. We are told they are now beginning to smile and are eating some.

No idea yet how long before they will get moved or be able to go home.
Sounds positive though.

Michael Parnham
14th September 2016, 06:08
Quick update.

The kids remain in ICU but making progress. We are told they are now beginning to smile and are eating some.

Sounds positive though.

Thank you for better news Peter, very nice to know things are brightening up:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th September 2016, 09:09
Yes, good news. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
14th September 2016, 11:36
Positive news indeed, Peter :smile:.

SimonH
14th September 2016, 12:01
Quick update.

Sounds positive though.

Positive news indeed Peter :smile:

Just out of curiosity, is there some sort of state fund that covers hospital fees in cases like this, or is it down to the family to pay.

Terpe
14th September 2016, 13:43
Positive news indeed Peter :smile:

Just out of curiosity, is there some sort of state fund that covers hospital fees in cases like this, or is it down to the family to pay.

I can't give a definitive answer Simon as we've not asked the family about hospital and medical costs. All the news programmes about this have stated that Davao City will fully fund all treatments and also 'excess' funeral costs.

We just don't know how it works and we're not thinking to ask

SimonH
14th September 2016, 14:00
I can't give a definitive answer Simon as we've not asked the family about hospital and medical costs. All the news programmes about this have stated that Davao City will fully fund all treatments and also 'excess' funeral costs.

We just don't know how it works and we're not thinking to ask

Sorry Peter, didn't mean to be intrusive if I came across that way.

Terpe
14th September 2016, 14:44
Sorry Peter, didn't mean to be intrusive if I came across that way.

Not at all Simon.
I didn't mean to imply that all, far from it.

On a personal level I feel if I start to initiate questions on the costs at this stage it would open up a whole new scenario.
If they need any help from us at all they will initiate any discussion with my wife first.

Hope that doesn't sound hard hearted.
This part of the family are not short of resources at all. Especially given the assurances of Davao City Mayor office concerning financial support.

lordna
14th September 2016, 17:40
Peter, good to hear the positive news

Arthur Little
16th September 2016, 14:48
Quick update.

Sounds positive though.

:smile: Encouraging news, indeed ... I'm so relieved to read your update; Myrna and myself wish the kids a speedy recovery.

Onwards and Upwards ... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
8th October 2016, 17:52
Seems the terrorist perpetrators have been arrested.

See here:-
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/584197/news/nation/3-members-of-maute-group-arrested-over-davao-city-bombing-dnd-chief

Concerning the latest update on the grandchildren of my wife's cousin, it's good news on the whole.
The boy will be released back home under care on Sunday,
his sister will be released from ICU but transferred to another hospital as she still needs another operation to remove some remaining shrapnel from her spine.
There's no date set but the parents have been informed that it's not yet looking like she'll make it home for Christmas unless the op will be done next week.

At least the long term prognosis is positive if the remaining shrapnel can be removed.

grahamw48
8th October 2016, 20:05
Poor things.

Good luck to them. :smile: