PDA

View Full Version : Retirement gift

stevewool
25th August 2016, 12:59
It seems I have been given the task to try and start a collection for my work colleague and friend who leaves work on the 2nd September.
So far I have collected just over £70 from a few people but still waiting to hear from another say 15 people who have ignored me or just can't be bothered.
I over head the owners talking about what they may give for his 30+ years service, it was mentioned that £10 per year, well I thought that's not much, what do others think on that amount, but I suppose it's better then a carriage clock,

SimonH
25th August 2016, 13:13
I think you're allowed to give £50 per year before you get taxed on it.

stevewool
25th August 2016, 13:19
I think you're allowed to give £50 per year before you get taxed on it.

Thanks Simon , you never know there may be a back hander too,

Terpe
25th August 2016, 14:28
An inscribed watch or clock is probably the most classic.

If he has any hobbies/interests that can also be a good route to choosing something special and more personal.

Always a difficult task

Slip
25th August 2016, 15:12
When we had a bloke who had been with us for 40 odd years retire, the bosses asked him (within reason) what he'd like.
He asked for a portable TV and a DVD player.... They got him that and still gave him the golden handshake so to speak.

stevewool
25th August 2016, 15:41
I am hoping they give him the golden handshake too, I am giving cash, he would like a new bike for his off roading so every little should help ,

Steve.r
25th August 2016, 16:54
Give him Emma's phone. :biggrin:

stevewool
25th August 2016, 17:18
Give him Emma's phone. :biggrin:

Now thats a great idea, i have a old /new one she can have its a Nokia 257 touch screen and when it takes pictures you can hang them straight onto the wall too:omg: