PDA

View Full Version : Our latest project in the house

Terpe
10th July 2016, 10:01
This weekend has been another busy time, and expensive.
We've had the whole house rewired and a new consumer unit installed so our electricians have been staying with us since Saturday morning.

We began experiencing electrical issues with outlets and lights. Even LED lights were giving up the ghost.

Our electricians are both trusted friends of the family and fully qualified.
To say they were horrified at the way the electrics had been installed over the years was an understatement. Hence the decision to 'start again from scratch'

Thank goodness for our local Wilcon store who have good ranges of everything we needed. Wilcon is a great store which can be quite expensive due to the brand they stock.
If you know exactly what you want and you know the price range it's possible to actually save money.

Hopefully it'll all be finished soon and we'll have time to take them out go for dinner.

The new consumer has 14 branches/circuit breakers and is properly assigned with power.
The previous arrangement looked like a pigs intestines. :yikes:

Next major project will be plumbing, although I will do most of that myself.
At least with plumbing you can see if something's not right so always plenty of second chances :wink:

Steve.r
10th July 2016, 10:06
Our house suffers from a couple of weird electrical problems, but I think due to rats.

Plumbing is is fine for me to do also, but we recently had a broken pipe under a concrete floor, which led to a huge water bill. Fixed now.:furious3:

grahamw48
10th July 2016, 10:07
I'm always amazed that more people aren't electrocuted in the Phils. :NoNo:

SimonH
10th July 2016, 10:42
I don't think anything is earthed in the Philippines :Erm:

Steve.r
10th July 2016, 11:34
I don't think anything is earthed in the Philippines :Erm:lol, I beg to differ, each time I use a wired mic for videoke, I get a good shock..... and not my singing either :omg:

Longweekend
10th July 2016, 11:36
Amuses me the way they install the light switches upside down....:Erm:

Terpe
10th July 2016, 11:48
We have 2 earth rods {rebar} fixed into the ground.
I asked our electricians to be sure they get used.

When our fridge was delivered I also got handed an long green earth wire. I asked how to fit it and they said don't bother ........so I did't :Erm:

stevewool
10th July 2016, 12:30
Keeping yourself busy Peter,
Lots of things to do once we make our trip back and i am looking forward to all this, at the moment its how many bedrooms we are wanting, sorry i am wanting and Emma is wanting two, :biggrin:

Arthur Little
10th July 2016, 13:28
... at the moment its how many bedrooms we are wanting, sorry i am wanting and Emma is wanting two, :biggrin:

:poke: ... stick to the one, Steve ... :anerikke: ... then you're unlikely to be pestered with any of Em's family staying over at weekends. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
10th July 2016, 13:58
:poke: ... stick to the one, Steve ... :anerikke: ... then you're unlikely to be pestered with any of Em's family staying over at weekends. :biggrin:

Having said that, we've three, :icon_rolleyes: ... the master bedroom [ours], the 'guest' room - of a similar size (but different shape) - with one more double bed mostly cluttered with clothes, and a much smaller room in between, which (for many years) I :olddude:'ve used as an office.

Terpe
10th July 2016, 14:57
We cut the number of our bedrooms in half which should cut down on the number of visitors coming at the same time.
As at this time we have only one bed. However as most of you know kipping everywhere and anywhere is a firm tradition here :Cuckoo:

It's taught and practised in detail from a very early age.

Arthur Little
10th July 2016, 16:31
Btw, :icon_rolleyes: ... it's NOT that we're unsociable and/or don't enjoy getting visitors, :nono-1-1: ... BOTH of us are friendly types who like nothing better than a good natter :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: when folk call. Honestly! :icon_lol:

But the "clutter" I mentioned in my previous post makes it rather difficult to accommodate guests overnight ... the problem being, I have "inherited" so much furniture from long~deceased relatives throughout so many years, that there's now barely enough space in any part of the house to "swing a cat"! :NoNo:

Thankfully, my daughter and son-in-law own a towable caravan - which means they've a roof over their heads whenever they're down our way, while my son and his wife live in Perth. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
10th July 2016, 21:48
My place is full of my son's and my step-daughter's stuff ! :doh

I have very few possessions of my own. :cwm3:

jonnijon
10th July 2016, 22:45
Our house suffers from a couple of weird electrical problems, but I think due to rats.

Plumbing is is fine for me to do also, but we recently had a broken pipe under a concrete floor, which led to a huge water bill. Fixed now.:furious3:

I had the same problem (water leak) Our water district refunded us after 3 months.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
10th July 2016, 23:36
I had the same problem (water leak) Our water district refunded us after 3 months.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Jon, was it a problem with the meter? Ours was a leak on our property so we couldn't claim anything back, in fact they were harassing my wife to pay up. I told her to tell them they had to wait until I could send some allowance.

jonnijon
11th July 2016, 22:47
Jon, was it a problem with the meter? Ours was a leak on our property so we couldn't claim anything back, in fact they were harassing my wife to pay up. I told her to tell them they had to wait until I could send some allowance.

Same as you steve, under floor leak, just took our bill to the water district and told them we had a leak under the floor. They said ok just wait three months to get comparable water bills. So after three months we took the bills to them and they gave us one month free water, and the following month was only 100 pesos.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: