PDA

View Full Version : Post Office closures etc

Gavanddal
17th December 2007, 20:47
I had a chat with a postmistress whose Post Office was being closed. I had been searching for a PO to buy stamps for my Xmas cards and most were closed down or there was nowhere nearby to park. So I stopped at this small PO and was greeted with a big poster saying it was also closing.

This really is a disgrace isn't it? There used to be 2 POs in my road and they're all gone. Now the only one is in the High Street where you have to pay 40p to park (which is annoying if all you want is a stamp!) and the queues stretch out the door and down the road, turning a quick trip for a stamp into at least a half hour mission.

Should the Post Office kept their monopoly of the mail and protected this valuable service? What about rural communities? They claim that those such as pensioners don't use the counter services as often now and have their money paid into banks. But how often do you see cashpoints in villages?

And have you seen all the BT vans being wheelclamped and ticketed now they're not an essential public utility? Heaven forbid they privatise the emergency services or you'll see ambulances being clamped while attending road accidents!!!!!!! :cwm23:

KeithD
17th December 2007, 21:49
PO is a business, you close parts that are hemorrhaging money.

Nearly all the villages round are way have cash points for free. Even the local garage, are only shop & part-time PO closed due to lack of business, and the village is full of old folk. They have the money paid into the bank, and go shopping in the local town 3 miles away, they don't complain, and it is them it effects :doh

The people who are complaining are the ones who hardly use the servce anyway, so try to make it look as though they are trying to be a superhero by saving it for someone else......without actually asking them!!

More media hype ill informing gullible readers/listeners. ALL PO's are going thorugh individual reviews involving a 3rd party.

andypaul
17th December 2007, 22:21
Tescos sell stamps so no need to worry

KeithD
17th December 2007, 23:12
Tescos sell stamps so no need to worry

They now build shops faster than the Pakistani community :yikes:

Gavanddal
19th December 2007, 08:13
PO is a business, you close parts that are hemorrhaging money.

That's the problem, it's not a public service anymore. Many small POs are crippled by business rates. Many POs are actually quite busy but are closed because the overheads are too high