PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to live in Phills

Harry T
1st June 2016, 11:33
Right guys, what kind of income would be needed to live in the Philippines permanently ? I realise there would be several options, but what income would be needed if i lived in Rental Accomodation versus if i lived in Purchased Accomodation ?.

I am leaning towards Bohol as permanent area, with Palawan as a second option (but its more expensive). I also prefer not to live the City life, but somewhere that Im easily able to get into a City, such as maybe Panglao to Tagbilaran.

I dont have any real vices ie i dont drink, i would like to try to run a Car, I dont consider myself to be extravagent, so basically i would just have normal day to day living expences ie Accomodation, Electricity, Internet, Food, Water, Car, ongoing Maintenance perhaps, and anything else people need to budget for in Phills. Thanks in anticipation guys.

I have to say my biggest concern about living in Phills would be future Healthcare costs, which is why i prefer to live close to a City, were it not for that then i would 100% move to Phills with no hesitation.

fred
1st June 2016, 11:55
Harry...Cant remember how many have asked that question!! There are so many variables that its a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string"..
Best to make a list of all your wants and then add it all up..
I live in the area that you seem to have made a decision about and I would be happy to give you the prices if I can..

I have to say my biggest concern about living in Phills would be future Healthcare costs, which is why i prefer to live close to a City, were it not for that then i would 100% move to Phills with no hesitation.

I know a Brit here that pays about 1000 Quid a year for a fully comp health policy.. I think he got that in the UK.

fred
1st June 2016, 12:01
I realise there would be several options, but what income would be needed if i lived in Rental Accomodation versus if i lived in Purchased Accomodation ?.

What kind of rental accommodation would be suitable for you?

Harry T
1st June 2016, 12:58
Thanks for the quick reply Fred, nothing expansive ie would prefer A/c but doesnt have to be a must have, 1 or 2 bedrooms, Kitchen/Dirty Kitchen, Shower Room, Lounge area, can be Bungalow type or 2 Floors. As for location i dont like to feel hemmed in ie another property so close that i can touch it.

stevewool
1st June 2016, 13:15
I too would like to think Bohol is a place for me , but it's convincing the wife,
Harry I have a budget plus also I have a extra amount for the emergency,
We have our own place in Marikina and we have agreed to a set amount each month to live on and the rest will be for the trips here and there.
It's very hard to listen to others about budget ,some say not a chance on that others live on very little,make a list of what you would like and then what you want, if you have change from your budget then you have no excuse

SimonH
1st June 2016, 13:18
Hi Harry,

You could have a look google for property24 for an idea of rental costs. I'd allow about 3000php a month for electric so long as you don't go mad on the aircon, supplement it with a decent fan.
Cars are the same the world over, all depends on age and make, so anything from a 100,000 to over 5,000,000.
I'm sure some of the locals on this site will be able to give you a better idea on food etc, but there again will you cook yourself or if not what level of restaurant will you go to, and will you be alone?

fred
1st June 2016, 13:21
Thanks for the quick reply Fred, nothing expansive ie would prefer A/c but doesnt have to be a must have, 1 or 2 bedrooms, Kitchen/Dirty Kitchen, Shower Room, Lounge area, can be Bungalow type or 2 Floors. As for location i dont like to feel hemmed in ie another property so close that i can touch it.

Unfurnished you can get a place like that from any thing between 10-20 K per month..
Most houses here are not built with the hot climate in mind and they often need to be air conditioned..
If thats the case add say 15.00 Peso per every hour you need to run it.
The average bill for our tenants is about 3k per month but we have some Yanks that have bills over 8K!!
3 k is a pretty doable figure..
A weeks shopping can be cheaper than the UK on average as long as you stay away from the imported isles at the mall!!

SimonH
1st June 2016, 13:22
I too would like to think Bohol is a place for me , but it's convincing the wife,
Harry I have a budget plus also I have a extra amount for the emergency,
We have our own place in Marikina and we have agreed do much per month to live on and the rest will be for the trips here and there.
It's very hard to listen to others about budget ,some say not a chance on that others live on very little,ake a list of what you would like and then what you want, if you have change from your budget then you have no excuse

I've budgeted on 100,000 a month, that's for the 3 of us including Charleighs schooling and a maid. Not including any capital expenditure like a car, but all running costs of a car, plus food, gas, electric, water etc

stevewool
1st June 2016, 14:58
I have the budget and have spoken to Emma about this too,but we are not there so it's all guess work ,but like I have said we have extra , but don't tell Emma because she would spend it all,

Ako Si Jamie
1st June 2016, 19:28
I've budgeted on 100,000 a month,

That's pound sterling if anyone's wondering! :icon_lol:

Steve.r
1st June 2016, 20:29
I've budgeted on 100,000 a month, that's for the 3 of us including Charleighs schooling and a maid.

When I am working, we live on half that per month and can still have a few luxuries. Now I am not working we survive on much less.
Aircon only on during the night, all led lights and generally taking care not to waste anything. So you can live nicely for a lot less. But of course we have our own house so no rent.

stevewool
1st June 2016, 21:09
Well mine is a lot less too, even a lot less then you Steve, but remember like you we have our home but with just the 2 mouths to feed ( YER RIGHT ),
Whats the Led light thing Steve ??????

Harry T
1st June 2016, 22:02
Thanks for all this input, its all very helpful my budget would be slightly North of Steves, but of course accomodation would need to come out of that, at least for the first 6/12 months.
A/c well i managed most of the time without it in the provinces, nice if you have it, but i can get by if i dont.

scott&ligaya
1st June 2016, 22:08
my family have been living in Palawan since 2012 with me visiting for two or three months at a time between contracts abroad. We have air cons in most rooms but when I am away the kiddos move in with mum in the master bedroom and we run one large innverter split type unit and or fan as the room is very large.

We have a cook, a nanny and a car taker who together cost about 16,000k a month and we pay their SSS any minor medical bills and they live in. Electricity runs about 5k (my son loves the 60 inch tv lol)

School fees at a local private school in Puerto Princesa are about 6k per month plus books once a year (about another 5k) and we have 2 in school. The montesorri kinder garten for the three yr old is about 3k per month for mornings.

Property taxes are around 2k per month for our large plot , 6 bedroom house , kubo and 4 rental rooms).

Medical costs are okay for consultations but medicines can be expensive and a recent gall bladder removal for my wife cost 180,000 after her PHIL HEALTH deduction and good insurance which covers all costs is very hard to find if you are resident.

We run and 2006 Navarra pick up 600K for our farm and rubber plantation trips down south. We bought it in Manila as a bank repo and shipped it over. same with a 2009 Ford Everest SUV (800K). Fuel runs at around 28 pesos per litre for diesel but both vehicles are reasonably thirsty. Getting a decent mechanic relies on word of mouth recommendations of other ex pats but is usually very cheap compared to the UK especially labour intensive jobs.

Our water bill is around 2k but we also have a well and electric pump/tank set up.

Forget land line..always out of order or crackly

mobiles are cheap to buy and post paid billing is reasonable

Our satellite tv set up is dream and we use the package at about 1000 pesos we also have cable for the cottages at around 1000 for a four room set up

Food shopping for the family including baby milk and pampers runs to 5k a week or thereabouts for the wife three kiddos and three staff.

Eating out is getting more expensive but still a lot cheaper than the UK and of course depends on the resto or hotel you eat at.

we use a pocket wi/fi called Tattoo which costs 999 per month but signal strength varies, we use fb messenger and skype sometimes signal will not support video

well those are the bills that come to mind and are not everything I am sure but should give you an idea. We do not live extravagantly but we do live well in my opinion and of course we could cut back if necessary but I think you need to be fair to yourself and what you are prepared to sacrifice for living in the paradise that is Palawan.

hope this helps

Steve.r
1st June 2016, 22:09
Whats the Led light thing Steve ??????
like this Steve

very energy efficient

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/image_zpsewdey4xw.jpeg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Discusboy123/media/image_zpsewdey4xw.jpeg.html)

scott&ligaya
1st June 2016, 22:10
agreed , worth the investment

stevewool
2nd June 2016, 05:29
Harry what made you think about moving,
I thought you had second thoughts about being there full time

Harry T
2nd June 2016, 10:04
Steve, I have been back her for almost 6 weeks now, I cant find any work suitable for me to do (its not my top priority) but i do apply when i see something thats suitable. I dont have family, and i live in a retirement block, Im probably the youngest here at 64 and to be perfectly honest i dont think i can stay here, the feeling i get and its how i feel somedays, is that Im living here and just waiting till its my turn to pop my cloggs :smile: (you did ask) so i know for a fact Im not going to hang around waiting for that day. A very close friend that i know down here, is moving away later this month (to Stowmarket) in fact i am moving them, so that again doesnt help. I will either move back to the Midlands where my roots are, or the other option is the Philippines Im not saying the Philippines is second choice far from it, its been on my mind for a few years now, thats why Im a member on here.

I divorced a few years ago, and since that time i have had a couple of relationships with Filipinos, I went there to meet them, 3+ years ago and recently, getting them here is not an option now due to the Income stipulation, 3 years ago it was but when i got back to the UK the lady that i had been to visit told me she was already married :smile: so that was a major set back for many reasons, not least every year that went past my option of getting anyone here diminished. I was working at that time so forming a new relationship wasnt easy as we all know, and doesnt happen overnight, eventually i did, and went to meet her back in January i always told her that getting her here to the UK was not an option for reasons i gave above. Yes we met and got along well up to a point, she has a lovely family up in the mountains of Mindanao, but theres always a but :biggrin: in my life, we also had disagreements, and since i have been back i have decided that its not what i want for numerous reasons.
Yes i obviously want to form a relationship but it has to be for the right reasons, meanwhile i will carry on and have 12 months weighing up the options. Jeez Im rambling on here hope Im not boring you all.

SimonH
2nd June 2016, 11:18
Thanks Harry,

No, you're not rambling on :smile: I find myself doing the same sometimes, but just recently I've also found that it helps put things into perspective when you write them down :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I find my thoughts bouncing all over the place with ifs and buts, cost of living over there etc etc
Then I write them down and the kind chaps on here give me some great advise and it gives me a direction to head in, rather than go round in circles.
It sounds like you've made the decision already :smile:

Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
2nd June 2016, 12:00
Thanks Harry, you only live once they say

Terpe
2nd June 2016, 15:12
Hello Harry,
I'm a bit late 'to the party' but I do gave current experience if the costs involved in setting up a life here.

I've said it any times before and I'll say it again
IMHO you need P50k disposable income to get by.

I know very well all the stories about living like a king for less.........and yes it can be done. When I would live in the outback of Compostela Valley I could easily survive on P15k per month.
But that's not living that's surviving. Yes, surviving quite well but not as well or as secure as in UK

Think very very carefully about the life you want and the costs involved.
If your priority is health care just be sure you can access really good quality care and equipment within around 30 mins by some means or other.
Car ownership is expensive and will likely steal a significant portion of your income. Think seriously about transport costs and you choice of living location.
You may find it's better to live in a 'city type location' to have the lifestyle you need than in a more remote location,
where your own transport is key.

Do you rely on medications?
Special diet ?
Consider the costs of staying here under visa conditions also.

Costs of living here are not the same as costs of vacations as tourist.

Harry T
2nd June 2016, 17:05
Hi Peter thanks for your input, but you explain your meaning of Visa conditions, do you mean costs Of ?
Secondly i got through 200.000 php during my three month stay, so are you saying its more expensive or less.

Fortunately i dont have a Special Det or Medications, thought i do have a Medical past, in that i have twice come through a Cancer Illness.

Yes i realise the sense of living close to a City where its reasonably easy to access Healthcare and Equipment, which is why Bohol seems perfectly suited to that.

Steve.r
2nd June 2016, 18:05
200 k in 3 months!!!!!!! :omg::omg:

That at was a good holiday. Like said before Harry, be careful of the people who want to spend "your" money.

Longweekend
2nd June 2016, 18:43
Perfect solution Harry, move to Angeles and become Simon's driver.....:biggrin::biggrin:

Harry T
2nd June 2016, 19:00
Perfect solution Harry, move to Angeles and become Simon's driver.....:biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin:

stevewool
2nd June 2016, 19:14

HAY , thats mine :yikes:

SimonH
2nd June 2016, 19:24

:Erm: I always drive myself :biggrin:

Stevek
2nd June 2016, 21:27
my family have been living in Palawan since 2012 with me visiting for two or three months at a time between contracts abroad. We have air cons in most rooms but when I am away the kiddos move in with mum in the master bedroom and we run one large innverter split type unit and or fan as the room is very large.

We have a cook, a nanny and a car taker who together cost about 16,000k a month and we pay their SSS any minor medical bills and they live in. Electricity runs about 5k (my son loves the 60 inch tv lol)

School fees at a local private school in Puerto Princesa are about 6k per month plus books once a year (about another 5k) and we have 2 in school. The montesorri kinder garten for the three yr old is about 3k per month for mornings.

Property taxes are around 2k per month for our large plot , 6 bedroom house , kubo and 4 rental rooms).

Medical costs are okay for consultations but medicines can be expensive and a recent gall bladder removal for my wife cost 180,000 after her PHIL HEALTH deduction and good insurance which covers all costs is very hard to find if you are resident.

We run and 2006 Navarra pick up 600K for our farm and rubber plantation trips down south. We bought it in Manila as a bank repo and shipped it over. same with a 2009 Ford Everest SUV (800K). Fuel runs at around 28 pesos per litre for diesel but both vehicles are reasonably thirsty. Getting a decent mechanic relies on word of mouth recommendations of other ex pats but is usually very cheap compared to the UK especially labour intensive jobs.

Our water bill is around 2k but we also have a well and electric pump/tank set up.

Our satellite tv set up is dream and we use the package at about 1000 pesos we also have cable for the cottages at around 1000 for a four room set up

Food shopping for the family including baby milk and pampers runs to 5k a week or thereabouts for the wife three kiddos and three staff.

Eating out is getting more expensive but still a lot cheaper than the UK and of course depends on the resto or hotel you eat at.

we use a pocket wi/fi called Tattoo which costs 999 per month but signal strength varies, we use fb messenger and skype sometimes signal will not support video

well those are the bills that come to mind and are not everything I am sure but should give you an idea. We do not live extravagantly but we do live well in my opinion and of course we could cut back if necessary but I think you need to be fair to yourself and what you are prepared to sacrifice for living in the paradise that is Palawan.

hope this helps

Hi Scott
Great post...really helpful
It seems you are doing exactly what I plan to be doing in about 2 years. Cheryl and myself are in the UK right now with a 3yo and 7yo with about a year to go before applying for FLR.
The plan is once we all have UK citizenship we will move to RPI initially for 2 years as a trial to see if it really is for us. During this time i will be doing some contracts to top the money up, rough plan is 6-10 month contract with 6-12 months in RPI
We have a plot on a sub-division in Bacolod but really like Puerta Princessa, it ticks all the boxes (nature, small city, no typhoon, earthquake, tsunami) the only little negative we could see when we stayed was what schools we would send the kids to, especially when they get to high school
Would be interested to know your thoughts on the schooling in PP?

Stevek
2nd June 2016, 21:28

hope this helps

Hi Scott
Great post...really helpful
It seems you are doing exactly what I plan to be doing in about 2 years. Cheryl and myself are in the UK right now with a 3yo and 7yo with about a year to go before applying for FLR.
The plan is once we all have UK citizenship we will move to RPI initially for 2 years as a trial to see if it really is for us. During this time i will be doing some contracts to top the money up, rough plan is 6-10 month contract with 6-12 months in RPI
We have a plot on a sub-division in Bacolod but really like Puerta Princessa, it ticks all the boxes (nature, small city, no typhoon, earthquake, tsunami) the only little negative we could see when we stayed was what schools we would send the kids to, especially when they get to high school
Would be interested to know your thoughts on the schooling in PP?

Longweekend
2nd June 2016, 22:02
It was so good Steve posted it twice....:biggrin:

Arthur Little
3rd June 2016, 00:20
Steve, I have been back her for almost 6 weeks now, I cant find any work suitable for me to do (its not my top priority) but i do apply when i see something thats suitable. I dont have family, and i live in a retirement block, Im probably the youngest here at 64 and to be perfectly honest i dont think i can stay here,the feeling i get and its how i feel somedays, is that Im living here and just waiting till its my turn to pop my cloggs :smile: (you did ask) so i know for a fact Im not going to hang around waiting for that day. A very close friend that i know down here, is moving away later this month (to Stowmarket) in fact i am moving them, so that again doesnt help. I will either move back to the Midlands where my roots are, or the other option is the Philippines Im not saying the Philippines is second choice far from it, its been on my mind for a few years now, thats why Im a member on here.

I divorced a few years ago, and since that time i have had a couple of relationships with Filipinos, I went there to meet them, 3+ years ago and recently, getting them here is not an option now due to the Income stipulation, 3 years ago it was but when i got back to the UK the lady that i had been to visit told me she was already married :smile: so that was a major set back for many reasons, not least every year that went past my option of getting anyone here diminished. I was working at that time so forming a new relationship wasnt easy as we all know, and doesnt happen overnight, eventually i did, and went to meet her back in January i always told her that getting her here to the UK was not an option for reasons i gave above. Yes we met and got along well up to a point, she has a lovely family up in the mountains of Mindanao, but theres always a but :biggrin: in my life, we also had disagreements, and since i have been back i have decided that its not what i want for numerous reasons.
Yes i obviously want to form a relationship but it has to be for the right reasons, meanwhile i will carry on and have 12 months weighing up the options. Jeez Im rambling on here hope Im not boring you all.

Harry/Paul: :nono-1-1: ...you're NEITHER rambling - NOR being boring - in the slightest. You have helped many, many members here with your wise counsel so, in turn, it's our pleasure - wherever possible - to try our level BEST to help you!

You mention being *64 (:biggrin: ... a mere stripling compared to myself! :wink:) *which means you'll soon qualify for State Pension. Hence, that got me pondering as to whether you might be eligible for ... :anerikke: ... at least partial exemption from the Government's stringent Minimum Income Rules once you reach retirement age. Therefore, with this in mind, I've spent some time trawling the internet ... eventually coming across [what I hope] a will prove a useful link to the undernoted Government website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Although reading between the lines, it doesn't look like there's any special dispensation for State pensioners, I suggest it's well~worth browsing through ... and would draw your attention to Section 8.1. Category 'E' For Pensions Requirements - specifically 8.1.3. - where it indicates the source can be combined with income from [any or all] of the other listed categories. Moreover, the information has been updated to as recently as May 2016. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
3rd June 2016, 07:02
Harry... sounds like you are in a similar position to myself (and same age)... other than I married the girl I met.

For the foreseeable future I will split my time between UK and the Phils. I will not give up my OAP bungy here, or my right to free healthcare. That would be stupid IMO.

We have just made a start on building our little house. It won't have aircon. Don't need or want it.

So, after the investment in that... no rent.

I will do without the hassle of vehicle ownership. We are lucky in being very close to good transport. links though.

I would hope we (me , Mrs + baby) can get by nicely on 30-50,000 pesos a month... always bearing in mind that exchange rates can make a lot of difference... as can 'the unexpected'.

Michael Parnham
3rd June 2016, 07:07
Steve, I have been back her for almost 6 weeks now, I cant find any work suitable for me to do (its not my top priority) but i do apply when i see something thats suitable. I dont have family, and i live in a retirement block, Im probably the youngest here at 64 and to be perfectly honest i dont think i can stay here, the feeling i get and its how i feel somedays, is that Im living here and just waiting till its my turn to pop my cloggs :smile: (you did ask) so i know for a fact Im not going to hang around waiting for that day. A very close friend that i know down here, is moving away later this month (to Stowmarket) in fact i am moving them, so that again doesnt help. I will either move back to the Midlands where my roots are, or the other option is the Philippines Im not saying the Philippines is second choice far from it, its been on my mind for a few years now, thats why Im a member on here.

Good post Harry, so I've sent a request with my rep:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
3rd June 2016, 07:13
Harry... sounds like you are in a similar position to myself (and same age)... other than I married the girl I met.

For the foreseeable future I will split my time between UK and the Phils. I will not give up my OAP bungy here, or my right to free healthcare. That would be stupid IMO.

We have just made a start on building our little house. It won't have aircon. Don't need or want it.

So, after the investment in that... no rent.

I will do without the hassle of vehicle ownership. We are lucky in being very close to good transport. links though.

I would hope we (me , Mrs + baby) can get by nicely on 30-50,000 pesos a month... always bearing in mind that exchange rates can make a lot of difference... as can 'the unexpected'.

Another good and sensible post, rep on it's way Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
3rd June 2016, 07:43
Hi Peter thanks for your input, but you explain your meaning of Visa conditions, do you mean costs Of ?
Secondly i got through 200.000 php during my three month stay, so are you saying its more expensive or less.

Fortunately i dont have a Special Det or Medications, thought i do have a Medical past, in that i have twice come through a Cancer Illness.

Yes i realise the sense of living close to a City where its reasonably easy to access Healthcare and Equipment, which is why Bohol seems perfectly suited to that.

P200,000 is what we spend on our three week holiday including our flights and hotel so for three months that's not bad £230 per week for thirteen weeks:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
3rd June 2016, 08:48
I really appreciate some of the comments on here, its nice to see that most of the respected members have taken the time and trouble to offer there help, and advice on my situation. Thanks also to the people who sent me Reps, i really didnt expect that as Im asking for advice on my situation.
It makes me feel a little bit humble to read all these great replies, i realise my original question now expanded upon, was a little bit "How longs a piece of Stringish" but the general opinion seems to be its do-able on my Pension, providing that i make the right choices, However i still feel the Healthcare issue may still be a possible fly in the ointment so to speak.
When i was in Phills i met and became friends with an American guy, who moved to Samal, and shortly after had a stroke, and his medicinal expences i was told are 30k per month, and he is basically housebound now.

stevewool
3rd June 2016, 10:22
Harry I understand how you feel too.
Paying out so much per year for the just in case is hard plus what happens if you cannot get to the hospital.
Lots of thinking on this, yes you need it but if you have enough cash and have no medical history, well it's a chance you have to take

scott&ligaya
3rd June 2016, 11:54
fao SteveK

there are good private schools but they are getting a bit crowded as the city has expanded a lot over the last five years. Hope Christian school is where our two go and they do love it there but as I say class sizes are rising. the kindergarten we used to go to SV Montesorri has just opened a new elementary school but it seems to me that we noticed a money driven motive first there.

Secondary wise there are again good private schools with a lot of the ex pats and local worthies seem to send their kids to Hope Christian ( perhaps for continuity) or the National Science High School or Salve Regina. I am not familiar with those schools but parents of kids there that we know seem happy enough.

As it happens we are moving back to the UK as I have had enough of contracting and want to be home every evening with the children as they are getting older I believe they need both mum and dad at home to bring them up. So we are selling our main property and keeping our farms and rubber plantation for retirement income when my wife and I will eventually return after the kiddos are educated.

I cannot get my kind of work in the corporate world even in Manila and as I say I want to be home so easier for me to come back to a nice part of the UK (maybe up north in Scotland where I am from) and get back into a management role.

if you are seriously considering PP as an option I am happy to find out more , we know several teachers and a deputy head.

cheers

Scott

Harry T
3rd June 2016, 12:56
Im just working my way slowly through Arthurs Link, this seems very interesting

Total Savings held Entry Clearance/Leave to Remain Indefinite Leave to Remain
Amount which can be used
Income needed from other sources (that can be combined with cash savings)
Amount which can be used Income needed from other sources (that can be combined with cash savings)
£62,500 (62500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £18,600 None (62500– 16000) = £46,500 None
£40,500 (40500 – 16000) ÷ by 2.5 = £9,800 £8,800 (40500 – 16000) = £24,500 None
£33,000 (33000 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £6,800 £11,800 (33000 – 16000) = £17,000 £1,600
£25,000 (25000 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £3,600 £15,000 (25000 – 16000) = £9,000 £9,600
£17,500 (17500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £600 £18,000 (17500 – 16000) = £1,500£17,100
£16,500 (16500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £200 £18,400 (16500 – 16000) = £500 £18,100

That table doesnt copy out right, but its this link Paragraph 7.2 and particuarly 7.2.4 i think this is of very great interest to others in my predicament, especially for those with a Pension pot, because if i read it correctly the Pension pot can be combined with the State Pension, or any other Income thereby bringing down the Income requirement, so anyone over 55 this might apply to.
I dont know if Iv explained it correctly but take a read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Terpe
3rd June 2016, 14:35
Not sure I understand what you are thinking Harry
Just to be clear. There's really no change in the rules for pensioners or for those with cash savings.

It's still about actual cash savings and actual
Pension income.

Nothing to do with 'pension pot' which is a notional asset.

Sorry if I misunderstood something.

Arthur Little
3rd June 2016, 15:21
Not sure I understand what you are thinking Harry

Tbh, :icon_rolleyes: ... from the content of #18 it looked to me (still does!) that he's "weighing up" his options -one of which, includes the prospect of bringing a potential partner to the UK - and I'd been keen to offer what I believed to be useful help, bearing in mind he is approaching State Pension age.

Just to be clear. There's really no change in the rules for pensioners or for those with cash savings.

It's still about actual cash savings and actual
Pension income.

Nothing to do with 'pension pot' which is a notional asset.

Sorry if I misunderstood something.

Hmm ... rightly or wrongly ... I've always been under the impression that there would be some relaxation of the income rules for sponsors who were 65 or over; I mean ... :anerikke: ... there cannot be many who will even gross *£18,600 a year as an Occupational Pension - far less anything like that from the State, surely! :NoNo: Heaven forbid, it's not so long since I checked with the present equivalent of the local authority with whom I worked for 181/2 years ... only to discover that even now, my salary would barely equate to the *minimum figure this draconian Government is stipulating.

Harry T
3rd June 2016, 15:29
No from the way i read it Peter, with last Aprils pension Freedoms, anyone over 55 can access these "Pension Pots" in anyways that they want, Pension savings Accounts from which savings can be immediately withdrawn are considered to be savings NOT notional now..

Here is the info taken from the Link

1 The bank/savings account is a current, deposit or investment account
2 The account is held is a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory
body for the country in which that institution is operating
3 The financial institution is not on the list of excluded institutions under the Immigration
Rules
4 Regular bank statements are provided
5 The statements cover the necessary time period required in the Immigration Rules
6 The savings are held in cash (or their cash value is clear)
7 The savings can be immediately withdrawn (with or without penalty)
8 The funds are under the control of the person and/or their partner for the necessary
time period required in the Immigration Rules
9 The source of the funds is legal
10 The source of the funds has been declared

7.4.4. For example, in the UK a ‘stocks and shares’ Individual Savings Account (ISA) does
meet the definition of a savings account and the funds can be considered as cash
savings if all the requirements above are met. Likewise, a pension savings account from
which savings can be immediately withdrawn.

So by looking at the Table in 7.2.4 someone who has savings of lets say £5k and a Pension Pot if over 55 of lets assume £25K those two added together will give total savings of £30k and therefore an income of only £9600 is needed, If you have £5k savings and a £30k pension pot the income needed becomes even less at £1600, now Im a bit thick, but thats how i read this.. :doh

7.4.4 Is the relevant Paragraph, i dont know how to highlight it, and in 7.2.4 there are two Tables one is for Entry Clearance/Leave to Remain, and the other table for my quoted figures is for Indefinite Leave to Remain i dont know the difference, but i would appreciate if someone who has more knowledge could please read the link above, and see if they come to the same conclusion as me, this could be very important for lots of people out there.

So through Arthurs Link, and my ignorance we may have helped not only Income needed to live in Phills, but others who may be struggling to meet Income requirements for the UK, this could be a loophole which the UK Gov have not yet realised was opened up with Pensions freedoms 2015.

Terpe
3rd June 2016, 15:30
8. Pension
8.1. Category E: Pension – requirements
8.1.1. The gross annual income from any State (UK Basic State Pension and Additional or Second State Pension, HM Forces Pension or foreign) or private pension received by the applicant’s partner or the applicant can be counted towards the financial requirement.
8.1.2. The annual pension income may be counted where the pension has become a source of income at least 28 days prior to the application.
8.1.3. This source can be combined with income from Category A: salaried and non-salaried employment, part (1) of Category B: salaried and non-salaried employment, Category C: non-employment income and Category D: cash savings in order to meet the financial requirement.
8.1.4. The gross amount of any State (UK or foreign) or private pension received by the applicant’s partner or the applicant in the 12 months prior to the date of application can be combined with part (2) of Category B: salaried and non-salaried employment.

8.1.5. Where an application relying on pension income also relies on cash savings liquidated from the pension pot on which this income is based, the specified evidence from the pension provider of the ongoing pension income will need to reflect the cash withdrawal from the pension pot.

Harry T
3rd June 2016, 18:17
Arthur you read Post 18 Correctly, Peter i think we are discussing two seperate things here, there is no Doubt 8. Pension is correct, as you pointed out its in Black and White.

Let me try and explain a little better, up until a few hours ago i (and many others) was under the assumption i needed an income of £18.600 per annum to bring a person to the UK.
However having gradually reading through Arthurs Link i eventually came down to Section 7 Cash Savings Paragraphs 7.2/7.2.4/7.4.4 those are the sections which drew my attention..

As an example lets assume a person (over 55) has a Pension Savings Account (Pension Pot) of £35k, and a maybe 2/3 thousand Cash at the bank :wink: how much further Income would such a person need ? Table 7.2.4
to meet the Income requirement.

Please bear in mind i am specifically referring to Section 7... /7.2/7.2.4/7.4.4

It seems to me this Notional (Pension Pot) is now regarded as Savings, which i know only to well, as i am having to use mine to top up my Pension Credit, therefore what other Income do i, and others need. I realise i am being somewhat stubborn over this, but its an important point because Table 7.2.4 seems to be telling me, that i dont require £18.600.

Terpe
4th June 2016, 16:38
....... It seems to me this Notional (Pension Pot) is now regarded as Savings, which i know only to well, as i am having to use mine to top up my Pension Credit, therefore what other Income do i, and others need. I realise i am being somewhat stubborn over this, but its an important point because Table 7.2.4 seems to be telling me, that i dont require £18.600.

1. Unless exempt from the financial requirement then a couple must meet the minimum income threshold of £18600

2. There are 5 permitted sources to meet the financial requirement.

a) Income from employment

b) Non-employment income such as from property rental or dividends from shares etc

c) Cash savings above £16,000 held for at least 6 months

d) Income from State pension (UK or foreign) or private pension

e) Income from self-employment / director of a UK limited company in the UK

Some of the above permitted 5 sources may be combined under the financial requirement rules in order to reach the stipulated threshold of £18600 for a couple

IF any funds held in deposit/investment accounts, or in what you call a pension-pot, meet the published requirements of UKVI to be eligible as cash-savings then of course they may be used either alone or as permitted combined sources in meeting the £18600 requirement.

Harry T
5th June 2016, 16:42
1. Unless exempt from the financial requirement then a couple must meet the minimum income threshold of £18600

2. There are 5 permitted sources to meet the financial requirement.

a) Income from employment

b) Non-employment income such as from property rental or dividends from shares etc

c) Cash savings above £16,000 held for at least 6 months

d) Income from State pension (UK or foreign) or private pension

e) Income from self-employment / director of a UK limited company in the UK

Some of the above permitted 5 sources may be combined under the financial requirement rules in order to reach the stipulated threshold of £18600 for a couple

IF any funds held in deposit/investment accounts, or in what you call a pension-pot, meet the published requirements of UKVI to be eligible as cash-savings then of course they may be used either alone or as permitted combined sources in meeting the £18600 requirement.

Thank you Peter, so it seems My Income of £5700 + my SIPP (Self Invested Personal Pension) is enough for me to meet the financial requirement.

Example:

Rachel earns £15,000 per year. She wants to sponsor her husband for a settlement spousal visa. Her husband has no dependents. Rachel would need to have £25,000 in savings to meet the shortfall: floor amount of £16,000 + £3,600 (shortfall) x 2.5 = £25,000.

grahamw48
7th June 2016, 05:31
All totally wrong of course. It means we are BUYING a bride. :NoNo:

The government should simply have disallowed benefits for a stipulated period... so allowing time for the inçoming partner to find employment. Wasted words I know, but it has to be said.

Harry T
7th June 2016, 11:28

The government should simply have disallowed benefits for a stipulated period... so allowing time for the inçoming partner to find employment. Wasted words I know, but it has to be said.

Yes i fully agree Graham, but this is where peoples lives have been hurt in an ill conceived to attempt to limit Immigration, why the heck should someone who was Born here was educated here, spent all my working life here, paying Taxes all my life, now be forced more or less to leave all that behind, in search of happiness?.
Which is why i asked the original Question of how much does it cost to live in Phills, because thats an Option that Im forced to look at due mostly to the Immigration rules. I dont want to spend the rest of my life looking at 4 walls, waiting for the day i pop my Clogs, rightly or wrongly Ladies of my own age do not attract me. Thanks to all the replies that i have received on here they are all going towards helping me make up my mind where my future may be. Its a big big decision to move abroad, especially so far away, i think financially its doable except for the one big question of Healthcare. I will today start looking at options on this there have been Topics started on this, but as i have said i have previous on this (having had The Big C on 2 occasions) and i know for a fact most Insurance Companies run a mile when this is mentioned, and will consider this as pre existing, though right now it doesnt exist :smile:.

Arthur Little
7th June 2016, 13:48

:yeahthat:'s just about what it amounts to, Graham ...

... :poke:true words though, :iagree:!