PDA

View Full Version : It's more expensive in the Philippines

SimonH
30th May 2016, 09:01
Eventually got a response out of the local international school for Charleigh's fees :cwm25:

Interesting reading :Erm:

Tuition 82,984 php (50% discount if I enrol now)
Other fees 25,050 php

Oh, and a Foreign fee of $800 USD payable every year :cwm23:

I was planning on getting her dual citizenship anyway, but this has just given me the extra incentive that I needed :smile:

Rory
30th May 2016, 09:37
What is the cost for a filipino child in the same tuition?

SimonH
30th May 2016, 09:49
What is the cost for a filipino child in the same tuition?

Same fees apply, they don'y have to pay the $800 foreign fee per annum though.

Rory
30th May 2016, 10:14
That can not be a standard school over there as non of the locals could afford that. This is a private school?

SimonH
30th May 2016, 10:34
Sorry, yes it is a private school. Maximum class size of 10 and being taught in English up to and including A level, with exams being set by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).
It's either that or stay here, where she'll be in a class of 30+ with English not being the first language of many of the pupils and the teacher having to teach at a level that the slowest pupil in the class can understand, therefore making the lessons boring for the brighter kids.

fred
30th May 2016, 11:11
A few years ago I was looking at Brit online schools and real time classrooms with real English teachers and classmates etc.... They can study for IGCSE`s and A levels.. Just looked at the prices though and they want 2.500 Quid a year plus other costs!!!
Ridiculous.

http://www.interhigh.co.uk/fees/

Our college costs (Filipino college) for the 2 of them is about 12k per month...(Plus expenses!!!!!)

SimonH
30th May 2016, 11:27
A few years ago I was looking at Brit online schools and real time classrooms with real English teachers and classmates etc.... They can study for IGCSE`s and A levels.. Just looked at the prices though and they want 2.500 Quid a year plus other costs!!!
Ridiculous.

http://www.interhigh.co.uk/fees/

The fees do appear high, but there again it's worth it considering the class size and attitude to education there, where kids want to learn.
When we get her dual citizenship, after discount it'll work out at about £1000 a year, so about £5 a day :Erm: although this will probably rise as she gets older.
One more thing to budget for :smile:

fred
30th May 2016, 11:53
The fees do appear high, but there again it's worth it considering the class size and attitude to education there, where kids want to learn.
When we get her dual citizenship, after discount it'll work out at about £1000 a year, so about £5 a day :Erm: although this will probably rise as she gets older.
One more thing to budget for :smile:

I enrolled my son in a IGCSE course and he took his exams at the Brit school in Manila...After that he said he wanted to go to college here instead of the U.K..
Oh well..Its up to him although 2 years into the course both of them are doing really well.
I left school when I was 16...I was jumping and skipping with joy all the way home!!
Hated the place.

stevewool
30th May 2016, 14:00
I am so glad i dont have to go through this, if i had too then i shall never leave England

Tawi2
30th May 2016, 14:05
My nephew is studying in Cebu,he got charged more than a local :Erm: but if the UK does it its racist :Erm:

SimonH
30th May 2016, 14:10
I am so glad i dont have to go through this, if i had too then i shall never leave England

It's one of the deciding factors for leaving England for me Steve :smile:

If we stay, Charleigh goes to an under funded, under staffed and 30+ pupils to a class state school with a percentage of those students not having being able to speak English properly as well as others being disruptive knowing the teachers can't discipline kids anymore :cwm25:
When we leave, I'll be able to provide her with a decent private education which there's no way I could afford to if we stayed :smile:

fred
30th May 2016, 14:20
It's one of the deciding factors for leaving England for me Steve :smile:

If we stay, Charleigh goes to an under funded, under staffed and 30+ pupils to a class state school with a percentage of those students not having being able to speak English properly as well as others being disruptive knowing the teachers can't discipline kids anymore :cwm25:
When we leave, I'll be able to provide her with a decent private education which there's no way I could afford to if we stayed :smile:

Our kids have turned out far far better than if we had of stayed over there Simon,of that I`m quite certain.. A couple of my daughters friends had kids when they were 15/16 and still live with their parents..Perish the thought!!
Absolutely no regrets.

jonnijon
30th May 2016, 23:25
Sorry, yes it is a private school. Maximum class size of 10 and being taught in English up to and including A level, with exams being set by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).
It's either that or stay here, where she'll be in a class of 30+ with English not being the first language of many of the pupils and the teacher having to teach at a level that the slowest pupil in the class can understand, therefore making the lessons boring for the brighter kids.

Never did understand this. When I was at school we had 40 plus in a class, and the teacher and headmaster always had time for any of us. Perhaps more teacher training is required.

SimonH
31st May 2016, 05:57
Never did understand this. When I was at school we had 40 plus in a class, and the teacher and headmaster always had time for any of us. Perhaps more teacher training is required.

Unfortunately I don't think the problem is that simple. Kids lack manners and respect of their elders knowing full well that they can't be disciplined :NoNo:

stevewool
31st May 2016, 06:53
Unfortunately I don't think the problem is that simple. Kids lack manners and respect of their elders knowing full well that they can't be disciplined :NoNo:

I have to disagree with this Simon but agree too,
Its all down to how you or they are brought up, and who they hang around with,
Like anything it takes time to realize what and where many young people are going in life , all we can do is try to point them in the right direction, and then HOPE

SimonH
31st May 2016, 08:28
I have to disagree with this Simon but agree too,
Its all down to how you or they are brought up, and who they hang around with,
Like anything it takes time to realize what and where many young people are going in life , all we can do is try to point them in the right direction, and then HOPE

Sorry Steve,

Maybe that was a too sweeping statement of mine, by tarring all kids with the same brush. You're right, the majority of kids are well behaved and know how to conduct themselves.
BUT as with everything else in this country now, it's NOT the majority that causes unrest but it is the majority that have to change their attitude to that of the minority.
We, the majority are not allowed the 'C' word lights in December, we now have to have festive decorations.
We, the majority are not allowed to fly a George Cross because it's racist.
Our well behaved, polite, respectful kids can't get a good education any more because the teachers time is taken up chasing little Jimmy or Mohammed round because they'd rather play up and know damn well that they wont get a good hiding, because that's child abuse innit :cwm23:

I'M OUT :biggrin:

stevewool
31st May 2016, 08:38
Sorry Steve,

Maybe that was a too sweeping statement of mine, by tarring all kids with the same brush. You're right, the majority of kids are well behaved and know how to conduct themselves.
BUT as with everything else in this country now, it's NOT the majority that causes unrest but it is the majority that have to change their attitude to that of the minority.
We, the majority are not allowed the 'C' word lights in December, we now have to have festive decorations.
We, the majority are not allowed to fly a George Cross because it's racist.
Our well behaved, polite, respectful kids can't get a good education any more because the teachers time is taken up chasing little Jimmy or Mohammed round because they'd rather play up and know damn well that they wont get a good hiding, because that's child abuse innit :cwm23:

I'M OUT :biggrin:

Now this i do AGREE ,
How times have changed, i can remember my dad COMPLAINING , sorry thats the wrong word,TALKING, sounds better to those who may miss read into this , about how things are changing from his childhood,
So now we are our dads age and i hear myself COMPLAINING ,sorry there i go again, I AM NO RACIST BELIEVE ME, TALKING about my worries , the circle of life :bigcry:

jonnijon
31st May 2016, 23:00

The blackboard rubber was a good deterrent:Cuckoo: Imagine that today.:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: OOOPPPs can i say that B word.