PDA

View Full Version : Inside the worlds toughest prisons.

Tawi2
5th May 2016, 12:28
Anyone watch "Inside the worlds toughest prisons" last night,the reporter was paul conolly,he is a bit of a lightweight to be honest but the subject matter was good,filipino prisons one of which he wasnt allowed to name or identify bloody hell there was 160 people locked up for 23 hours in a cell with 24 beds.And contagious TB was prevalent,anyone coughing up blood was locked in an isolation cell with their blood coughing detainees,sans medicine to await whatever happened.
He went to another prison Rizal Provincial jail,one poor lady had been on remand for 8 years,she was a widow,when she was in there one of her daughters had passed away with dengue,she got her court date and was found not guilty of her supposed crime,eight years wasted.A guy i know has just returned to the UK after two and a half years in a NBI establishment,released at the end with no charges,he has health problems to deal with now,there but for the grace of god..............

Michael Parnham
5th May 2016, 12:43
Didn't see it but it sounds awful.

Ako Si Jamie
5th May 2016, 12:50
What channel Tawi?

Saw a prison documentary at the weekend called Inside the Gangsters Code or something like that. It was about a former New York Mafia boss visiting a prison in El Salvador full of gang members. Last person who did a similar documentary on these gangs in El Salvador was murdered.

Tawi2
5th May 2016, 12:59
He was forced to strip totally naked as soon as he got inside the cells by the inmates,each cell is run by a mayor elected by the inmates,its a farcical system,if you have enough cash you dont spend a day in one of these places,if your skint you can spend years on remand before your case is dropped,absolutely ridiculous,it was a channel 5 production but shows just how corrupt and shambolic the penal system and the law is in the PI,one guy was on remand for 14 years,fathered a child inside with a lady prisoner,after 14 years he had his trial was found guilty and got a life sentence so was fast tracked to another jail never to see his woman or child again.

fred
5th May 2016, 14:47
Lets not forget one of our very own forum member that still languish under these circumstances..Charlene and her ole man Kevin Taylor..
Either of these will be able to give some real perspectives of being locked up long term in a Filipino nick.

Tawi2
5th May 2016, 14:50
Kevin should actually sell his story to Nat Geo,they are currently looking for prisoners for the next series of BUA and its good cash,any publicity is good publicity.

fred
5th May 2016, 15:35
Perhaps in a future series eh!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Not this one unfortunately by the looks of it or perhaps even the next..
Tragedy IMO.

Ako Si Jamie
5th May 2016, 20:37
Found the episode on the C5 website :xxgrinning--00xx3:

https://www.my5.tv/inside-the-worlds-toughest-prisons-2/season-1/philippines-2

Ako Si Jamie
6th May 2016, 09:17
Found the episode on the C5 website :xxgrinning--00xx3:

https://www.my5.tv/inside-the-worlds-toughest-prisons-2/season-1/philippines-2

Sensationalistic guff by Channel 5. The prisons featured may have poor living conditions but what Third World jail doesn't?

Prison run by ruthless gangs? (their words) hmmm....more like barangay captains. Main form of punishment? The squats! Reminds me of P.E lessons at school.

Compared to jails in Central & South America where inmates kill each other on a daily basis armed with all manner of weapons, the ones on this programme seem like a holiday camp.

Why didn't they do a documentary on La Bilibid? :anerikke:

Tawi2
6th May 2016, 10:15
I dont think it was sensational,it was just showing prisons in the third world,TB with no medicine etc,massively overcrowded prisons,there is daily violence,one of my friends has just served several years in one before his release without charge,its how it is :smile: at least when i was locked up in pakistan for a short while i got straw and sacking to rest my head on :biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
6th May 2016, 13:29
Sensationistic, as in the title of the programme and the ruthless description - for this episode anyway.

Just bog standard Third World jails. Nothing groundbreaking for anyone who's seen other prison documentaries. I found it boring.

C5 should up their game and send Connolly to Tadmor Prison in Syria. :biggrin: