PDA

View Full Version : Taking the scenic route

SimonH
16th April 2016, 08:31
For those who'd like to see a bit of the world, I've just read this interesting article:-

https://80breakdowns.com/2014/07/23/the-east-is-loud-across-europe-and-asia-in-a-corvette/

Which then got me thinking, what if you combined that with this:-

https://lifeseasiamagazine.com/transportationtravel/transportationtravel-philippines-in-the-works/waterwaysferryboats-travel-philippines/

stevewool
16th April 2016, 09:24
This is one of my plans/dreams once over in the Phils, to try to go to as many places as we can with our own truck,
Taking our time to see places and stay as long as we want or just to take a few pictures then to move on,
Using the roll on roll of ferries and just pleasing ourselves , with having no kids and having all the time in the world why cannot it happen, one day :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
16th April 2016, 11:35
Interesting that he went to urumqui :icon_lol: and the desert he mentions was probably the taklamakhan,i followed the old silk route through that part of china when i was a kid theough Xinjiang,i wouldnt mind doing the trip solo on a bike,motorbike that is not pedal bike.

Ako Si Jamie
16th April 2016, 11:45
Interesting that he went to urumqui :icon_lol: and the desert he mentions was probably the taklamakhan,i followed the old silk route through that part of china when i was a kid theough Xinjiang,i wouldnt mind doing the trip solo on a bike,motorbike that is not pedal bike.

I noticed Urumqui on the map on the in-flight entertainment system while flying across China on my last trip to the Phils. I looked it up when I got back home and it's the world's furthest major city from any ocean. Always thought Birmingham was the furthest! :wink:

Tawi2
16th April 2016, 11:50
Urumqui was a great place,kashgar however which is where everyone heads in that neck of the woods was a fantastic place,bit like the wild west,its where the great game was played out,the only place i went to in china where a varient of turkish is spoken,i stayed in the old russian consular building there,and had to bathe under a cold water tap in an outbuilding as the plumbing didnt work.