PDA

View Full Version : Moving home

Slip
8th March 2016, 20:33
I live in a one bedroom flat close to Heathrow airport, was worth £88,000 when I purchased it around 2002 as a single man. Now married with a thirteen month old baby I have outgrown the place. I had it valued today, now worth £200,000-£210,000
To buy a two bedroom place around here is not within my price range unless I win big on the lottery... So we have been looking further out, Leicestershire to be precise as we have friends there, and Harlene likes it when we have visited.... That and I can buy a 3 bedroom house and have change left has made our minds up... So hopefully in the coming months I shall be leaving London and my job I've been in for 11 years and make a fresh start.... Hopefully finding a job won't be too hard!

SimonH
8th March 2016, 20:48
All the best, house prices in this area are :crazy:

Michael Parnham
8th March 2016, 21:20
Yorkshire Slip, £116,000 brand new semi three bedroom:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
8th March 2016, 21:30
Good luck Slip, just down the road from us, hope you find work up here and at a wage that is good too

Trefor
9th March 2016, 09:56
Good choice. We live in S Leicestershire and moved here from Buckinghamshire, twice the house for the same money. Good access to the M1 and I can be physically sitting on a plane at Birmingham airport within an hour of leaving the house. I don't miss LHR!

grahamw48
9th March 2016, 12:03
I would never move from Yorkshire.

Beautiful peaceful place. No traffic jams . Affordable property. Good weather, as on the 'dry' side of the Pennines. Same or better services as London (where I have worked). Same salary = more pocket money, better lifestyle. :anerikke:

Slip
9th March 2016, 14:25
Good choice. We live in S Leicestershire and moved here from Buckinghamshire, twice the house for the same money. Good access to the M1 and I can be physically sitting on a plane at Birmingham airport within an hour of leaving the house. I don't miss LHR!

That is part of the reason that the M1 can have me back in London in 2 hours in an emergency.
We are looking in areas around syston, Sileby and Melton mowbray. Helps my friends wife knows the area well and is giving us the thumbs up or down on the areas we are seeing houses we like

Michael Parnham
9th March 2016, 15:21
I would never move from Yorkshire.

Beautiful peaceful place. No traffic jams . Affordable property. Good weather, as on the 'dry' side of the Pennines. Same or better services as London (where I have worked). Same salary = more pocket money, better lifestyle. :anerikke:

Here here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
9th March 2016, 15:45
Here here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Where where :Erm:

Longweekend
9th March 2016, 17:52
Where where :Erm:

There there...:biggrin:

grahamw48
9th March 2016, 17:54
Oh, and I live 3 miles from the A1, and 4-5 from the M62 and M1.

I also have stations on the main rail lines to London and to Manchester within walking distance of my house. :smile:

Slip
9th March 2016, 17:55
Oh, and I live 3 miles from the A1, and 4-5 from the M62 and M1.

I also have stations on the main rail lines to London and to Manchester within walking distance of my house. :smile:

Yeah but you all speak funny in Yorkshire :biggrin:

grahamw48
9th March 2016, 18:05
Yeah but you all speak funny in Yorkshire :biggrin:

Ayup... we'd soon have thee talking reet mate . :biggrin:

Slip
9th March 2016, 19:33

:doh:Help1:

lordna
10th March 2016, 15:46
... and then you have yorkshire airlines too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koswK8wXwTI

Michael Parnham
11th March 2016, 08:16
Sheffield/Doncaster (ex Finningly) Airport will become international in the near future, ideal for south and east Yorkshire:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th March 2016, 23:29
... and Southern North Yorkshire. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
12th March 2016, 08:16
... and Southern North Yorkshire. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well, ideal Graham only a short hop for you and I both. Some months ago a representative from the airport did say that it wouldn't be too long before becoming International as the original main runway is approx. a mile long:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gm47
12th March 2016, 08:37
Hey Slip you must live near me, I live in Uxbridge, the new studio flats here are selling at £225,000. It's getting ridiculous :grosyeux: I was trying to move across the road from where I live to a 1 bed flat....... the prices were then sent..... £315,000 !! :anerikke: looks like i'm moving up north or Manila !!

Slip
12th March 2016, 10:11
Hey Slip you must live near me, I live in Uxbridge, the new studio flats here are selling at £225,000. It's getting ridiculous :grosyeux: I was trying to move across the road from where I live to a 1 bed flat....... the prices were then sent..... £315,000 !! :anerikke: looks like i'm moving up north or Manila !!

They built new flats down the road from me, affordable homes they marketed them as. We enquired about the two bedroom one.... £ 360,000 + £5000 per year for a parking space plus a monthly service charge!

grahamw48
12th March 2016, 10:18
The property market was/is great for those making money out of it.

Ask the people comfortably retired in Spain or Portugal... on their lucky windfalls, or the estate agents who retired at 40.

It's the present generation of youngsters who've had the carpet pulled from under them by the greedy and selfish people who set the housing crisis ball rolling. :NoNo:

Trefor
12th March 2016, 16:47
Melton etc. is a bit far out For me. Look at Lutterworth and Blaby. Nice small towns with good access. Waitrose stores in each too �� I drive to Rugby station for London trains - 48 mins non stop to Euston.

Market Harborugh is nice, but more expensive.

Terpe
15th March 2016, 05:56
I live in a one bedroom flat close to Heathrow airport, was worth £88,000 when I purchased it around 2002 as a single man. Now married with a thirteen month old baby I have outgrown the place. I had it valued today, now worth £200,000-£210,000
To buy a two bedroom place around here is not within my price range unless I win big on the lottery... So we have been looking further out, Leicestershire to be precise as we have friends there, and Harlene likes it when we have visited.... That and I can buy a 3 bedroom house and have change left has made our minds up... So hopefully in the coming months I shall be leaving London and my job I've been in for 11 years and make a fresh start.... Hopefully finding a job won't be too hard!

Good luck with the move Slip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Leicestershire has some very nice towns and villages

malchard888
15th March 2016, 09:53
I understand Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe has Yorkshire heritage, E BA GUM :hubbahubba:

Doc Alan
15th March 2016, 10:02
Good luck and best wishes for your plans to move and find a new job :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Slip
20th March 2016, 14:12
Applied to be a postman! Not what I want, but need a job to go to when I move there.
Applied online and they email you these tests you take online... pass them and they invite you for an interview I believe.... so see if they contact me now.

stevewool
20th March 2016, 17:30
Its a start , and i am a great believer that if you have a job its easy to find another one while working

Longweekend
20th March 2016, 19:43
Postman can't be too bad, they seem to work mornings only and apparently have a decent pension....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
20th March 2016, 20:29
Postie is a very good job, go for it Slip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
20th March 2016, 21:05
Postie is a very good job, go for it Slip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not knocking the job, my Dad's been one for over 35 years, just didn't see it as something I'd ever do. But I've realised that I can't move out from London and expect London wages, postie jobs seem to be fairly decent paid wherever you go.

grahamw48
20th March 2016, 23:29
I hope you're fit and look good in short pants. :biggrin:

Slip
24th March 2016, 02:49
I hope you're fit and look good in short pants. :biggrin:

I didn't know you were that way inclined :yikes:

Well the flats been on the market since Monday, had the first viewing Wednesday. Have one Friday and one Saturday.... fingers crossed someone likes my flat.

Michael Parnham
24th March 2016, 09:04

Well the flats been on the market since Monday, had the first viewing Wednesday. Have one Friday and one Saturday.... fingers crossed someone likes my flat.

It will all come out in the wash Slip, good luck:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
24th March 2016, 20:11

Noooo ! :omg:

All my local posties seem to wear shorts all year. :icon_lol:

Good luck getting the place sold at a good price. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
26th March 2016, 18:01
Had our 3rd viewing today and they have said they wish to purchase the flat.

Just have to wait until Tuesday now for everyone to get back to work. Hopefully they wont change their minds in the next few days.

SimonH
4th May 2016, 09:19
Any updates :Erm:

Having my place valued this afternoon :cwm25:

Slip
4th May 2016, 10:31

Good luck, hope it's worth what you expect.

I've had around a dozen or so people view. Being a housing association shared ownership property it's a long winded process. Basically a few have declared an interest, so the housing have sent them paperwork to fill out to see if they meet the eligibility requirements.
I have been told as soon as housing are able to accept an offer I will be told!

Tawi2
4th May 2016, 12:29
The housing market in the general area of heathrow is very bouyant in general mate,your property is not going to be around for long,i constantly get leaflets through the door from estate agents asking am i selling :smile:

stevewool
7th May 2016, 08:56

If its what you are thinking Simon, will that make your mind up whether to try the Phils sooner then later

SimonH
7th May 2016, 09:22
If its what you are thinking Simon, will that make your mind up whether to try the Phils sooner then later

To be honest, I was shocked when they told me the value (£100K more than I thought). My thoughts are all over the place now, last month was quiet at work so I was of the opinion to up sticks and leave. However this month has started off great even though we're only 4 working days into the month, so have been chatting with our phone people about linking our VOIP system into the house in Angeles.

grahamw48
7th May 2016, 09:44
I'm sure you won't be daft enough to burn all your boats/bridges here though. :wink:

stevewool
7th May 2016, 09:51
I'm sure you won't be daft enough to burn all your boats/bridges here though. :wink:

Its a very scary thing , well for me it is,
I am not rich but again i am not poor,
Its the thought of having a good income coming in each month to having 1/6 of that amount,
Yes i know we will not have the bills and to tell the truth we save 5/6 of what comes in each month,
We are on budget and time too to make our move,
Like i said its scary but keep saving and keep reading up on things and before you know it i will be there

stevewool
7th May 2016, 09:54
To be honest, I was shocked when they told me the value (£100K more than I thought). My thoughts are all over the place now, last month was quiet at work so I was of the opinion to up sticks and leave. However this month has started off great even though we're only 4 working days into the month, so have been chatting with our phone people about linking our VOIP system into the house in Angeles.

That must have been a great surprise, thats another lot and house near yours for free then,
Thats the figure i am aiming for in savings before we leave and yes i am on course still, even with the shoes and bags and eating out , holidays, did i mention bags :biggrin:

grahamw48
7th May 2016, 11:22
Mate, by comparison, I have sod all. Life is for living though, not worrying about. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
8th June 2016, 21:32
Had some good news at last.
Someone viewed a couple of weeks ago and has filled out the paperwork required by the housing association. This paperwork has passed the first check and been forwarded to the compliance department. If all is fine and nothing further required then this time next week the purchaser will have a week to sign paperwork and instruct a solicitor.... then I guess I better find something...

Can't do nothing this week though... enjoying a week at Butlins :smile:

Michael Parnham
8th June 2016, 21:41
Someone viewed a couple of weeks ago and has filled out the paperwork required by the housing association. This paperwork has passed the first check and been forwarded to the compliance department. If all is fine and nothing further required then this time next week the purchaser will have a week to sign paperwork and instruct a solicitor.... then I guess I better find something...

Good luck Slip, hope everything goes as expected.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th June 2016, 17:07

Hope it works out well for you all :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th June 2016, 17:14
Its a very scary thing , well for me it is,
I am not rich but again i am not poor,
Its the thought of having a good income coming in each month to having 1/6 of that amount,
Yes i know we will not have the bills and to tell the truth we save 5/6 of what comes in each month,
We are on budget and time too to make our move,
Like i said its scary but keep saving and keep reading up on things and before you know it i will be there

Yes, it can be a scary decision to "leave the nest" you know and move into the unknown.

Whether or not I made a good decision can only be counted day-to-day by my experiences, the people I meet and by my smile.
It could all change in the blink of eye. That's the risk.

Same risk wherever I go

Just my own view

Slip
18th June 2016, 21:13
In Leicestershire this weekend, been house viewing and have made an offer on a property.
Unfortunately the estate agent shut at 4pm and we phoned at 3.30... so they said if we don't get in touch with you by 4pm, we will phone you Monday to let you know if it's been accepted.

So now we have to wait as we didn't hear today!!!

grahamw48
19th June 2016, 05:32
Good luck.

Some lovely countryside and villages in that part of the world. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
23rd June 2016, 08:42
Good luck.

Some lovely countryside and villages in that part of the world. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think we covered most of it when we were viewing houses over the weekend! was nice to be able to drive 20 miles in 20 minutes as opposed to London traffic and it taking 90 minutes.

We settled for an old mining town called Coalville. I'll be honest and say it wasn't my first choice out of all the areas we looked at before we went. But after viewing the houses in all the other areas, yes the areas were great but the houses inside were tiny (for the money we have) The one in Coalville as soon as we both walked in to view it we both stood open mouthed at how nice it was. Every room was perfect in our eyes. Even the kitchen was refitted in January this year to the highest standards.

Thankfully we have had our offer accepted and now everything is in the hands of the solicitors and banks.

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2016, 10:27
Congratulations Slip, well done. We are moving into our new house approx. first week in August, the builders have just finished the roof.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
23rd June 2016, 11:05
Onwards and upwards ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd June 2016, 15:17
I think we covered most of it when we were viewing houses over the weekend! was nice to be able to drive 20 miles in 20 minutes as opposed to London traffic and it taking 90 minutes.

We settled for an old mining town called Coalville. I'll be honest and say it wasn't my first choice out of all the areas we looked at before we went. But after viewing the houses in all the other areas, yes the areas were great but the houses inside were tiny (for the money we have) The one in Coalville as soon as we both walked in to view it we both stood open mouthed at how nice it was. Every room was perfect in our eyes. Even the kitchen was refitted in January this year to the highest standards.

Thankfully we have had our offer accepted and now everything is in the hands of the solicitors and banks.

Coalville is a lovely place to live. Has been for many a long time.
Great place for a family

Hope it come good for you all :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
23rd June 2016, 15:44
Your virtually our neighbours, good luck in the move

Trefor
23rd June 2016, 16:24
Great location, we're 20 minutes away just South of Leicester. You can commute to many places easily from Coalville.

Slip
23rd June 2016, 18:33
Your virtually our neighbours, good luck in the move

Great location, we're 20 minutes away just South of Leicester. You can commute to many places easily from Coalville.

With your local knowledge, any decent local shops my wife can get her Filipino food from?

stevewool
23rd June 2016, 20:54
Leicester is your best place

Slip
8th July 2016, 14:10
After a lot of stress and phonecalls the past couple weeks, officially received a mortgage offer today. So now things are going to be (excuse the pun) moving.

Trefor
8th July 2016, 14:47
After a lot of stress and phonecalls the past couple weeks, officially received a mortgage offer today. So now things are going to be (excuse the pun) moving.

Moving is very stressful for sure. Try to take it one step at a time and expect the banks and solicitors to do everything at the last minute!

Trefor
8th July 2016, 14:48
Leicester is your best place

There are a few places in Leicester but I think Birmingham is better. There is a Loon Fung (I think that is the name) Cash & carry near the Star City entertainment complex just off the M6.

Terpe
8th July 2016, 16:47
Used to a pretty big place named Wing Yip in Brum.
Huge range of Filipino foods.
They have a few branches around. One on the Edgeware rod just atbthe end of the M1

Ako Si Jamie
8th July 2016, 19:58
Wing Yip is still here located in Aston/Nechells. I pass it every day.

Take the Aston Expressway at J6 going into the city. Stay in left hand lane. First exit is half a mile away. Scoot up the slip road and turn left at the roundabout. Go straight across the next roundabout. The roundabout after that, take the third exit and go up the hill. At the next roundabout Wing Yip is on the left. Can't miss it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
9th July 2016, 16:07
I think I meant Wing Yip. Loon Fung is in London.

Longweekend
9th July 2016, 18:51
Google is your friend....

Slip
13th July 2016, 12:27
I think I must have murdered somebody in a past life!

Had the valuer for my buyer come last week, he values my property at £10,000 less then the asking price. Part of the reason was it only has 79 years left on the lease. This has never been hidden from anyone and the information was there from the outset. So I was given two options as he couldn't get the money from his lender otherwise.
Option 1, put the property back on the market. However that would mean I would lose the property I am buying no doubt.
Option 2, drop £10,000 from my asking price.
Reluctantly I took option 2. The only reason was that we got the property we are buying for £10,000 less than what we had budgeted for. So just means less money in the bank at the end of it.

So this morning I emailed the housing association just to asked to kept up to speed on my buyers progress. a few hours later they emailed me back to say he has asked to be given until Monday to look into extending the lease and the costs involved.

I'm no expert but I have always thought it was the housing associations responsibility to extend the lease as they own the whole building, I just own 75% of my flat. Why would I pay for a lease extension that would benefit the whole building and all the flats within.
I have emailed them to ask and I await their reply. But looks like I am not moving anywhere. Harlene is at work so I haven't told her yet... but I know she will be as disappointed as me.

So unless the lease can be extended at a very cheap price, which I doubt. I am stuck here forever as no bank will lend the asking price on the lease and I fear it will put potential buyers off.... Or I'm just going to get in a vicious circle of getting to this stage each time for the buyer to drop out. and I can't afford to keep paying out money for nothing. I must have spent about £1000 so far on house moving related costs!

SimonH
13th July 2016, 12:33
Option 3, extend the lease yourself (if possible) and sell at the original agreed price?

Slip
13th July 2016, 13:08
Option 3, extend the lease yourself (if possible) and sell at the original agreed price?

I am waiting to see what the housing association say regarding whose responsible for extending the lease. If I can afford it I will. But doubt I can.
However if it means by me extending the lease it benefits every flat in the building then I do not find that fair. And if it also means every other flat has to contribute I don't think they will unless they intend to move soon. I certainly wouldn't if I wasn't moving.

Slip
31st August 2016, 19:06
Well after the lease problems...my buyer is going to extend the lease himself.

I've been ready to exchange contracts for almost a month now, but my buyers solicitor went on a sponsored silence and wouldn't answer numourous attempts from my solicitor to contact them.
So after I managed to obtain his solicitors details from someone who said they would deny giving them to me. I then obtained the email for the person who owns the solicitors and emailed them a nice polite email this morning.

It seems to have worked as a few hours later my solicitor emailed me with an email with the subject FINALLY!!!!
In the email she forwarded the email from my buyers solicitor, it said, can you ask your client to not email us direct again and to go through the correct channels.

Anyway, it was said they will be ready to exchange contracts by the 7th September, before my buyer goes on holiday....

We shall see!

Terpe
1st September 2016, 14:06
Well sounds positive slip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Buying/Selling houses oftentimes follow such ups and downs and ins and outs, all at varying speeds.

Good luck

Trefor
1st September 2016, 14:19
Fingers crossed it now goes through. Very frustrating!

Michael Parnham
1st September 2016, 18:07
Hopefully we should be moving into our new house end of this month or early October at the latest, I'll be very busy then for a few months:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
5th September 2016, 11:10
Hope your exchange of contracts happens very soon Slip! I have been to Coalville lots of times too and I always buy my cars from there as much cheaper than in Cambridgeshire :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
8th September 2016, 18:54
Eventually after a very anxious couple days of waiting for the phone to ring we exchanged contracts this afternoon.

So next Friday after 14 years I leave my home and a lifetime living in this area to move to Leicestershire.

Doc Alan
8th September 2016, 18:57
Congratulations and good luck with your move :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

SimonH
8th September 2016, 19:11
All the very best :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
8th September 2016, 19:52
Eventually after a very anxious couple days of waiting for the phone to ring we exchanged contracts this afternoon.

So next Friday after 14 years I leave my home and a lifetime living in this area to move to Leicestershire.

Don't forget to invite us to the BBQ

Slip
8th September 2016, 20:37
Don't forget to invite us to the BBQ

As soon as we are settled in :xxgrinning--00xx3: should be winter by then!

Managed to find a Removal company that can do next Friday, just hope our stuff will fit into a Luton... I think so :Erm:

stevewool
8th September 2016, 20:45

Managed to find a Removal company that can do next Friday, just hope our stuff will fit into a Luton... I think so :Erm:

Jusr remember big heavy things on the bottom then it should all go in , if not sell it :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
9th September 2016, 00:01
So pleased for you Slip, it's taken long enough peace of mind at last and hope your removal go's ok:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
9th September 2016, 00:09

Would be interested to know how much your removal cost Slip, because ours is £560 and that works out at £100 per mile, I think it's a little bit pricey:Erm:

Slip
9th September 2016, 02:20
Would be interested to know how much your removal cost Slip, because ours is £560 and that works out at £100 per mile, I think it's a little bit pricey:Erm:

First quotes I got was £1495 and £1520
Then I used checatrade for more local based companies got a few quotes for around £5-700 Mark but chose the cheapest at £450 because of the good reviews and because the pictures on the website the people look trustworthy!

For the record we are moving 112 miles and our price is for two men and a Luton van vehicle to load and unload only

stevewool
9th September 2016, 06:08
Most people do not realize how cheap it is to hire the van and get your friends to help you move, it's hard work but could save a fortune,.
That's a great price you have there and some of these adverts, " a man with a van" are very good to,

As you are are always saying Michael you have no friends it would be better to pay the price you are paying:biggrin:

Slip
9th September 2016, 08:02
Most people do not realize how cheap it is to hire the van and get your friends to help you move, it's hard work but could save a fortune,.
That's a great price you have there and some of these adverts, " a man with a van" are very good to,

As you are are always saying Michael you have no friends it would be better to pay the price you are paying:biggrin:

With a 19 month old child I didn't want the hassle doing it myself and leave Harlene looking after her. So I don't mind paying if it means I can watch for a change

Michael Parnham
9th September 2016, 08:14

As you are are always saying Michael you have no friends it would be better to pay the price you are paying:biggrin: Don't mind paying as long as the job is done properly and carefully also everything fully insured, getting excited now. House inspection on Monday, looking forward to that, can't wait:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th September 2016, 08:28
Don't mind paying as long as the job is done properly and carefully also everything fully insured, getting excited now. House inspection on Monday, looking forward to that, can't wait:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I hope you all will be happy in the house:NoNo:

Terpe
9th September 2016, 13:16

Well done. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Onwards and upwards...

Terpe
9th September 2016, 13:20

First time I moved I did just that....hired a van got some friends and family involved.
We started at 6 in the morning and didn't finish until 12 noon. Moved 15 miles.

Bloody hard graft.....

I said never again :icon_lol:

stevewool
9th September 2016, 14:56
First time I moved I did just that....hired a van got some friends and family involved.
We started at 6 in the morning and didn't finish until 12 noon. Moved 15 miles.

Bloody hard graft.....

I said never again :icon_lol:

People don't realize how hard it is, I will not do it now unless I just stand there and tell others what to do, then I shall drive the vehicle

stevewool
9th September 2016, 15:08
Years ago I moved my brother from Southampton back to Derby, well there was 4 of us going down there and there was another 2 waiting to help pack the lorry up down in Southampton,
Well as the lorry cab could hold 3 that ment 1 bloke was in the back of the lorry, so I said that's unfair, two in the back two in the front ,
Off we set and knowing how cold it would be we put loads of blankets in the back so they can keep warm.
After setting of on the Friday night we got as far as Oxford and a cup of tea and to swap over the lads in the back for those that was nice and warm in the front.
Well what a laugh when we opened the back of the lorry up, there was my brother who was jogging up and down on the spot trying to keep warm, my other brother said he started when we left Derby.
I said well would you believed someone could jog on the spot and travel over 100 miles, we did have fun that weekend,

Slip
16th September 2016, 16:09
Finally in our new home. Was a nice run up as well, only just over 2 hours to do the 115 miles on the M25/M1.

Removal men are bringing everything in as I type... then it's the battle to get everything how we want it.