PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of More Than A Thousand Jobs Forecast For Steel Industry

Arthur Little
18th January 2016, 14:20
Tata Steel confirms it will axe :xxmixed-smiley-017: 1,050 jobs at its plants across the UK. Approximately three-quarters [or 750] of them are at the Company's LARGEST premises in Port Talbot ... with the remainder - including support staff - currently employed at various mills across the country.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35337896

Ta ta ... :Wave: to so many much~needed, highly~skilled workers.

Longweekend
18th January 2016, 18:52
Apparently the plant is losing £1M per day....

SimonH
19th January 2016, 02:23
Steel prices collapsed last October. Caparo went into administration back then and 2 weeks later it's boss fell from his pent house flat in central London :Erm:
He was number 3 on the British rich list last year if memory serves me correctly.

Ako Si Jamie
19th January 2016, 21:39
For those affected, they'll just have to show their mettle and solder on. As for the rest, I suppose it's a case of winner takes ore.

Tawi2
20th January 2016, 11:39
I was in sunderland as a kid when the shipyards closed and then the pit,wrecks the area.

Arthur Little
11th February 2016, 16:39
Tata Steel confirms it will axe :xxmixed-smiley-017: 1,050 jobs at its plants across the UK. Approximately three-quarters [or 750] of them are at the Company's LARGEST premises in Port Talbot ... with the remainder - including support staff - currently employed at various mills across the country.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35337896

Ta ta ... :Wave: to so many much~needed, highly~skilled workers.

.............................................................. :yeahthat: ... now this:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/11/port-talbot-100ft-flames-at-steelworks-blaze

lordna
11th February 2016, 19:34
Well we can buy cheap steel from the Chinese, then once they have driven all the competition here and in other countries out of business, they can put their prices up! Yet another Tory grand plan putting another nail in the coffin of british manufacturing (Actually not sure what's left).