PDA

View Full Version : Manners......

SimonH
2nd January 2016, 06:26
Am I being unreasonable?

9am this morning I hear loud music, now this isn't so bad as I can ask for it to be turned down.... But I then find out it's coming from my wireless sound bar and one of Sheys relatives has linked his phone via Bluetooth to play his music.
I asked Shey who linked it and who said they could use it, and I got an onslaught of no one can do anything around here without asking, they don't feel welcome etc
All I wanted were some manners and respect, if you want to use something then ask, 90% of the time I will say yes, no problem.
Another silly little thing, we're half way through dinner last night and one of the young nephews decides he's finished and goes and starts playing a DVD that had been paused. I waited a few minutes to see if anything was going to be said, but nothing so I say wouldn't it be a good idea if he waited till we all finished and then we could enjoy it together. Again I get the response, leave them alone and let them do what they want.

Am I being unreasonable or is it too much to ask for people to be respectful and polite :Erm:

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2016, 07:53
Bad manners was one of the reasons for wanting to return to the UK, I came across lots of occasions where bad manners came to light and when pointed out they just laughed, also I noticed that whilst bringing up children there were no signs of discipline, parents were more interested in teaching their kids to sing and dance instead of trying to help them with school work or teaching them useful things!:Erm:

SimonH
2nd January 2016, 08:03
Thanks Michael,

I'm still a firm believer and live by two old sayings...

Manners maketh man

Do unto others as you would be done by

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2016, 08:20
Thanks Michael,

I'm still a firm believer and live by two old sayings...

Manners maketh man

Do unto others as you would be done by

Correct Simon, I was brought up the first ten years of my life by my grandparents and they were very strict regarding good manners among many other things, I soon learned to have respect for others and as I have gone through life that knowledge became very useful on many occasions!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
2nd January 2016, 09:42
Am I being unreasonable or is it too much to ask for people to be respectful and polite :Erm:

The Philippines is a country generally lacking cultural development.

Rebelliousness, being hardheaded and self-centred is second nature to many Filipinos especially the male variety. IMO

Ako Si Jamie
2nd January 2016, 10:41
The UK of today is worst than the Philippines in that aspect I reckon. The women especially, and that's why so many look overseas for a partner. I see more politeness in three weeks over in PH than I do in three years over here.

Ako Si Jamie
2nd January 2016, 10:44
Am I being unreasonable?

9am this morning I hear loud music, now this isn't so bad as I can ask for it to be turned down.... But I then find out it's coming from my wireless sound bar and one of Sheys relatives has linked his phone via Bluetooth to play his music.
I asked Shey who linked it and who said they could use it, and I got an onslaught of no one can do anything around here without asking, they don't feel welcome etc
All I wanted were some manners and respect, if you want to use something then ask, 90% of the time I will say yes, no problem.
Another silly little thing, we're half way through dinner last night and one of the young nephews decides he's finished and goes and starts playing a DVD that had been paused. I waited a few minutes to see if anything was going to be said, but nothing so I say wouldn't it be a good idea if he waited till we all finished and then we could enjoy it together. Again I get the response, leave them alone and let them do what they want.

If someone wants to borrow an item that isn't theirs they should ask first. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
2nd January 2016, 14:24
Pinoys on the whole follow the law of communal property,if its in a communal or family house and its not being used its theirs,possession is 9 10'ths of pinoy law :icon_lol: I was once spinning on larena pier when it was an old wooden one before the modernisation,i put my tackle box down for 2 minutes and one guy was raking around in it while his mate was lounging on the seat of my moped :NoNo: they also seem to fail to comprehend the concept of queue'ing :NoNo::NoNo: but they dont top the league of lack of manners,that place is reserved for the chinese :biggrin:

fred
2nd January 2016, 14:34
It depends on whose house or home this type of thing happens in Simon...
If its in my house and home,it all stops and rather abruptly..
NEVER to be repeated.
Just saying..

SimonH
2nd January 2016, 15:14
It depends on whose house or home this type of thing happens in Simon...
If its in my house and home,it all stops and rather abruptly..
NEVER to be repeated.
Just saying..

My house, my home, and it has stopped :wink:

SimonH
2nd January 2016, 15:16
but they dont top the league of lack of manners,that place is reserved for the chinese :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
2nd January 2016, 16:19
Topping the lack of manner charts for me would be a group not even mentioned in this thread yet. I find Chinese women good to talk to. My next door neighbours are from Beijing. They're cool. A couple of girls in the local takeaways are cool. The one I sat next to on the flight to Guangzhou was cool and the one one who shared our boat to Kalanggaman and the van to Mandaue City, she was cool too. Actually I wouldn't rule out dating a Chinese woman. Just like Pinays they're pretty cool. :biggrin:

Tawi2
2nd January 2016, 16:26
Bit of difference between tourist chinese or the odd immigrant,try living in china for a number of years,or travelling across it for a few months,you will see what i mean :biggrin: the chinese i know here in surrey arent the same chinese as those in china,maybe we rub off on them and they develop manners :icon_lol: I had a few chinese girlfriends,they were ok :smile:

Michael Parnham
3rd January 2016, 12:38
Pinoys are hard work!

Longweekend
3rd January 2016, 14:27
Unfortunately been there and lived through it Simon, when it comes to family I run....:cwm25:

sars_notd_virus
3rd January 2016, 14:32
The Philippines is a country generally lacking cultural development.

Rebelliousness, being hardheaded and self-centred is second nature to many Filipinos especially the male variety. IMO

Definitely Agree :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
3rd January 2016, 14:59
Manners maketh man

:iagree: one hundred percent, Simon. "May I?" costs nothing ... as do ":please:" (without the 'begging' bit shown in my illustration) and also, of course, ":68711_thanx:" when something is (willingly!) given/offered to one.

Tawi2
3rd January 2016, 15:02
The newer generation are learning manners,there are progressive parents in pinas nowadays,they understand the need for good manners,i have met some kids who seemed as if they had been to elocution and deportment classes,it all depends upon the parents :wink:

Arthur Little
3rd January 2016, 15:20
":68711_thanx:"

............ :yeahthat: symbolises "what goes around" usually "comes around" - perfectly! Simple enough :icon_rolleyes: ... but often true.

jonnijon
3rd January 2016, 22:55
New years eve, all sitting having a drink, they are all playing on cell phones tablets, you name it. Im sitting there like a lemon, so 10-30 I went to bed and left them too it :cwm23:

stevewool
4th January 2016, 00:23
Nip it in the bud before they treat it like they own it or even break it

Steve.r
4th January 2016, 04:51
In my house all entrants dance to my tune. I do not allow smoking in my property, if they want to smoke they have to go outside my gates in the road. If people are here and drinking and need to go to the toilet, they have to use the toilet (we have an outside one) properly and not just pee against the wall. I do not allow littering of any kind, be it food bits that are spat out or paper and plastic wrappers and bottle caps. All are told to pick up their rubbish if I see it drop, or if I see it I ask who dropped it, this works.
My children also know the rules and will not trash the place or they know the consequences of their actions.

Road manners pee me off a bit too. Just a couple of days ago while approaching a bridge under repair and single lane through and a manned traffic controller, I was waved through after waiting my turn. As I started forward a guy in a Montero overtook the tricycles waiting for me to pass and tried to push through. I kept on going until he had to stop and then had to laugh as he tried to reverse out, snaking all over the place. Everyone was watching him. As I got alongside him, I put my window down and shouted, "that's why we have traffic control.. Idiot!!"

Thats the Philippines though, there are some very bad mannered, impatient, arrogant people there, they think of no one else but themselves. Bit like the UK really.

fred
4th January 2016, 05:45
As I got alongside him, I put my window down and shouted, "that's why we have traffic control.. Idiot!!"

Careful Steve..A lot of them have guns and will fly off the handle when a Foreigner reminds them of the "rule`s"..
Road rage coupled with Filipino pride is a dangerous proposition..
Stay safe..Please!!!!

SimonH
4th January 2016, 06:21
Only had two cases of road rage here :cwm25:

Firstly a coach thought he could get in front of me at a toll station instead of joining the queue, coach vs hire car with full CDW have guess who won :biggrin:

Secondly a scooter tried cutting me up at a round-about, I had to give him a gentle nudge with the bumper :cwm25: I was about to get out and thump him until Shey told me not too :icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
4th January 2016, 10:37
In my house all entrants dance to my tune. I do not allow smoking in my property, if they want to smoke they have to go outside my gates in the road. If people are here and drinking and need to go to the toilet, they have to use the toilet (we have an outside one) properly and not just pee against the wall. I do not allow littering of any kind, be it food bits that are spat out or paper and plastic wrappers and bottle caps. All are told to pick up their rubbish if I see it drop, or if I see it I ask who dropped it, this works.
My children also know the rules and will not trash the place or they know the consequences of their actions.

Road manners pee me off a bit too. Just a couple of days ago while approaching a bridge under repair and single lane through and a manned traffic controller, I was waved through after waiting my turn. As I started forward a guy in a Montero overtook the tricycles waiting for me to pass and tried to push through. I kept on going until he had to stop and then had to laugh as he tried to reverse out, snaking all over the place. Everyone was watching him. As I got alongside him, I put my window down and shouted, "that's why we have traffic control.. Idiot!!"

Thats the Philippines though, there are some very bad mannered, impatient, arrogant people there, they think of no one else but themselves. Bit like the UK really.

Well said Steve you're quite right, I found that if you (with wifeys help) explain things in a diplomatic way they will pass it on to other people that pay you a visit and they do it with pride!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
4th January 2016, 13:26
Yes Fred, I am always careful :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael, I just like my home to be clean and tidy and people to respect that. Like my children, everyone says how well behaved they are, which makes me feel very proud. They have been taught to always say their 'pleases and thank you's in both English and Tagalog. Same like blessing their elders and Ninongs and Ninangs. Simple manners are free imo.

SimonH
4th January 2016, 13:51
Yes Fred, I am always careful :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael, I just like my home to be clean and tidy and people to respect that. Like my children, everyone says how well behaved they are, which makes me feel very proud. They have been taught to always say their 'pleases and thank you's in both English and Tagalog. Same like blessing their elders and Ninongs and Ninangs. Simple manners are free imo.

My thoughts exactly. Charleigh is only 18 months old but knows how to bless, and she is being taught please and thank you. She can say cheers now :smile:

Steve.r
5th January 2016, 03:00
Thanks for he reps guys :xxgrinning--00xx3: