PDA

View Full Version : Court of Appeal: Metro Manila Development Authority Not Authorised To Enforce Anti-Smoking Law

Arthur Little
6th August 2015, 00:19
Literally HOT (pun intended) off the press:

http://www.tribune.net.ph/metro/ca-mmda-not-authorized-to-enforce-anti-smoking-law :ReadIt:

:appl: ... well done, the Appeal Court! Glad to discover they've ruled AGAINST the MIGHT of the MMDA on this contentious issue. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Unlike under the 'Duterte Dictatorship' :poke: ... that somehow manages to restrict the selfsame Freedom of Choice in Davao City.

Dabawenyo
6th August 2015, 05:36
Big difference between a city government and a NGO which is what the MMDA is. MMDA were and remain not authorised by any of Metro Manila's city governments to enforce anti-smoking legislation.

The anti-smoking campaign is now in its 13th (14th?) year and did little more than enforce national laws. Public buildings such as airport terminals can not have a "smokers corner" such as was available at Davao's airport and is still at Cebu and Manila airports, Smoking is also not permitted within 50 metres of an entrance to a publicly-accessible building which does effectively mean no smoking on most city streets.

As a former smoker I have no problem with Davao's tough enforcement of anti-smoking legislation.

Terpe
6th August 2015, 10:50
As a former smoker I have no problem with Davao's tough enforcement of anti-smoking legislation.

Same here :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Of course when I smoked I got miffed at having such restrictions, but I totally agree with them now :icon_lol:

The UK should try to improve the situation outside entrances to buildings where smokers congregate. :cwm23: