PDA

View Full Version : Tesco in the Philippines

raynaputi
24th July 2015, 19:00
For those who might want some British food/items..haha..:icon_lol:

They partnered with SM Supermarket.

http://www.ourawesomeplanet.com/awesome/2015/07/tesco-in-manila-at-sm-supermarkets.html

Dedworth
24th July 2015, 21:37
Predictable rip off prices

raynaputi
24th July 2015, 22:07

That's what I noticed as well..IMPORTED that's why..:anerikke:

grahamw48
24th July 2015, 22:20
Saves me taking heavy stuff like baked beans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
24th July 2015, 23:27
Tesco's seem to get everywhere ..... we've also see them in Phuket and Krabi in Thailand :cwm25: :cwm25:

Dedworth
24th July 2015, 23:51
That's what I noticed as well..IMPORTED that's why..:anerikke:

They're touting low grade products

Terpe
25th July 2015, 01:10
Tesco not yet available here in Davao. Maybe next year.
Probably a reciprocal deal as some selected Tesco stores are selling Filipino foods.

Waitrose and M & S products also available in the Philippines.

I took a trip to Abreeza mall the other day to have a quick look at their shop and food hall. I wouldn't exactly call it a food hall :icon_lol:
Not much bigger than my bedroom actually. Very limited product range and nothing that I'd want to buy. Very odd selection really. Plenty of large bags of crisps and breakfast cereals and tea bags.

Sadly no Waitrose here in Davao who are partnered with Rustans.

raynaputi
25th July 2015, 01:14
Keith would usually go to M&S if he really needs something British, i.e. biscuits or shortbread whenever he's in Manila (if the ones he brought have ran out). Other than that, we can always get something from the local supermarket. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
25th July 2015, 02:54
In SM they sell the "everyday" range of Tesco's biscuits and most of them are priced around 100 peso

So a packet of 34p biscuits works out at around £1.50 in the Philippines

I am not complaining it was a godsend being able to finally purchase a decent biscuit over there :smile:

jake
25th July 2015, 03:06
Saves me taking heavy stuff like baked beans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No need to buy brands like Heinz. If you look in the canned section of most supermarkets there's a brand called Molinera. Similar taste and much cheaper than other imported baked beans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
25th July 2015, 07:01
No need to buy brands like Heinz. If you look in the canned section of most supermarkets there's a brand called Molinera. Similar taste and much cheaper than other imported baked beans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've seen those somewhere. Robinsons I think. I'll look for them next time Jake, thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Do they also do tins of peas? Can't seem to find any decent green peas anywhere.

Also is it possible to buy any decent pickled onions anywhere?

Or does anyone have a good receipe.
Using ingredients easily available here :wink:

fred
25th July 2015, 08:15
I've seen those somewhere. Robinsons I think. I'll look for them next time Jake, thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Do they also do tins of peas? Can't seem to find any decent green peas anywhere.

Also is it possible to buy any decent pickled onions anywhere?

Or does anyone have a good receipe.
Using ingredients easily available here :wink:

I pickle onions and the peppers I grow in the cheap coconut vinegar and a handful of peppercorns..
Works good!!
You can experiment with adding other stuff like chopped coriander or parsley etc..

Longweekend
25th July 2015, 09:13
Tesco's seem to get everywhere ..... we've also see them in Phuket and Krabi in Thailand :cwm25: :cwm25:

They are called Tesco Lotus in Thailand and are much better than the UK option....

grahamw48
25th July 2015, 10:10
I buy the same cheap Tesco baked beans here as they are selling in the Phils. Obviously higher priced there, but for a treat, I don't mind paying a little more.

Probably 90% of what I eat there is the local food, either home-cooked or from small carinderias. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I also really missed 'proper' pickled onions while living out there for longer periods. Maybe Tescos will read this thread and oblige. :biggrin:

Terpe
25th July 2015, 11:19
I pickle onions and the peppers I grow in the cheap coconut vinegar and a handful of peppercorns..
Works good!!
You can experiment with adding other stuff like chopped coriander or parsley etc..

Ah OK, I'll give in a go with local Tuba vinegar and add a few peppercorns plus some other stuff.
Thank you Fred.
I was asking as malt vinegar is hard to come by.
Although I've been using that Lemon vinegar and it's very similar to malt. Tip from Jonnijon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I spoke to a Brit this afternoon and he said he uses apple cider vinegar :Erm: can't remember seeing that anywhere though.

I'll be pickling next week ..... :Jump:

Is it OK to use those small red onions ?

Terpe
25th July 2015, 11:23
I experimented making my own baked beans from a couple of Internet recipes...not a great success. Didn't taste anything like Heinz baked beans. In fact didn't much taste like baked beans.
Probably spent around P500 on the ingredients. :doh

Terpe
25th July 2015, 11:30
I experimented making my own baked beans from a couple of Internet recipes...not a great success. Didn't taste anything like Heinz baked beans. In fact didn't much taste like baked beans.
Probably spent around P500 on the ingredients. :doh

I'll try again soon. More research needed I think.
Found some nice Pinto beans and some decent Haricot beans. Looking around now for some red kidney beans.
The tricky bit for me getting the sauce to be tasty with just the right consistency.

In the meantime I'll be looking out for those Molinera baked beans recommended by Jake. Maybe I won't need to cook my own :wink:

fred
25th July 2015, 14:10
Ah OK, I'll give in a go with local Tuba vinegar and add a few peppercorns plus some other stuff.
Thank you Fred.
I was asking as malt vinegar is hard to come by.
Although I've been using that Lemon vinegar and it's very similar to malt. Tip from Jonnijon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I spoke to a Brit this afternoon and he said he uses apple cider vinegar :Erm: can't remember seeing that anywhere though.

I'll be pickling next week ..... :Jump:

Is it OK to use those small red onions ?

Well, I have used the red onions and I thought they were bloody lovely!!
I get a box of goodies once a year from the UK including pickled onions..When the onions are consumed I reuse the vinegar to pickle peppers and even young cucumbers..Almost the same as gurkins..
Obviously there is a different taste with the two different vinegars but both taste good to me!
Best to experiment...See what you like.

stevewool
25th July 2015, 20:18

Do these make you FART, or because they are similar they make you pass wind instead? :biggrin:

grahamw48
25th July 2015, 21:00
I'll look out for those Molinera beans...cheers. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
26th July 2015, 16:47
They will only sell their horse burgers

irishman12
26th July 2015, 22:14

unfortunatey i have to agree with one comment you have made-those are certainly rip off prices -most of them are at least double if not treble what we pay here, affordable? -maybe for some rich or crazy foreigners

irishman12
26th July 2015, 22:20
They will only sell their horse burgers

Would you like some? Might pay ye a visit soon :Wave:

jonnijon
26th July 2015, 22:58
Looking around now for some red kidney beans.

Just a reminder, fresh kidney beans must be cooked properly or you will get very ill :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
27th July 2015, 02:21
Looking around now for some red kidney beans.

Just a reminder, fresh kidney beans must be cooked properly or you will get very ill :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
27th July 2015, 06:50
I managed to find some American Baked beans, can't remember what the brand name was but they were very nice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
27th July 2015, 07:59
I managed to find some American Baked beans, can't remember what the brand name was but they were very nice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

American baked beans, I hope you was not sitting around a camp fire eating those :yikes::yikes:

Dabawenyo
29th July 2015, 16:43
I took a trip to Abreeza mall the other day to have a quick look at their shop and food hall. I wouldn't exactly call it a food hall :icon_lol:
Not much bigger than my bedroom actually. Very limited product range and nothing that I'd want to buy. Very odd selection really. Plenty of large bags of crisps and breakfast cereals and tea bags.
Rustans - who are M&S's Philippine franchisee - only import products that have a lengthy shelf life and that do not compete with products supplied by their other franchisers. Hence a pretty poor range of products but the food bit of the SM Premier store seems larger and better stocked to me.

Sadly no Waitrose here in Davao who are partnered with Rustans. The nearest Waitrose products for you and I would be at Rustan's supermarket, Ayala Center in Cebu City. Or so I'm reliably informed.

Terpe
29th July 2015, 17:13
M & S at Abreeza do stock packets of Percy Pig :Jump:

My wife's favourite.......means I can bribe my way out of any trouble :biggrin:

grahamw48
29th July 2015, 21:17
:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
29th July 2015, 23:42

:yeahthat:'s true ... I came across a Tescos in Paphos, Cyprus when a pal of mine and me were there for a week's holiday back in 2001. But the merchandise they stocked unfortunately wasn't remotely like anything you see in their British stores. :NoNo:

Terpe
24th August 2015, 09:49

Well I finally got around to buying some Molinera baked beans.
Took a trip to Robinsons at Abreeza last night during our dinner break from Kadayawan festivities.

A tin cost me P52
Haven't yet sampled it so more comments to come on that one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
24th August 2015, 14:33
Took a trip to Robinsons at Abreeza last night during our dinner break from Kadayawan festivities.

A tin cost me P52

Molinera , baked beans are ok, i got at robinsons, also they have heinz soups, small cans tomato/mushroom,
next size up cans of chicken soup/vegitable/ also chicken and brocoli big soup( the chunky soup)
if you like meat spreads, i recomend brand underwood (has a pic of a red devil on paper wrapped tin, roast beef spread/deviled ham/and chicken, only tried the roast beef so far, it is as good as uk meat spreads,

think a product of US.
soup 300g 117 peso,400g 121 peso, meat spread 120g 94.50 peso

forgot the price for beans lol

grahamw48
24th August 2015, 17:31
I will be taking some instant mash potato ! :biggrin:

Arthur Little
24th August 2015, 17:56
I will be taking some instant mash potato ! :biggrin:

:smile: Not long to go now, Graham ... you'll have a truly (s)mashing :biggrin: time, definitely! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th August 2015, 18:46
Not been in a tesco for years , no need :biggrin:

Terpe
27th August 2015, 15:26

A tin cost me P52

Had the baked beans for brekky today with my eggs and toast.
Yes :hubbahubba:
Definitely great taste and will get some more.

To be honest I was surprised to find them as good as they were.

Got to say I finished off with a watermelon the size of a football. Cost me P40 :hubbahubba:

grahamw48
27th August 2015, 15:33
M - o - l-i- n e- r-a ...put in my diary. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

jonnijon
27th August 2015, 22:45
M - o - l-i- n e- r-a ...put in my diary. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

Larger beans than the UK and sweeter:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dabawenyo
28th August 2015, 05:56
I will be taking some instant mash potato ! :biggrin:Even though you can buy it here? Knorr instant mashed potato powder is imported from Germany and is sold here - very good it is too. And local potatoes make good mash, chips and roasties.

Michael Parnham
28th August 2015, 06:00
Even though you can buy it here? Knorr instant mashed potato powder is imported from Germany and is sold here - very good it is too. And local potatoes make good mash, chips and roasties.

Never had mashed potato from a packet, I remember when Cadbury's Smash was first introduced many years ago.:yikes:

KeithD
28th August 2015, 08:42
When I was a kid, I loved Smash. Tried it last year, and it is disgusting :cwm3:

imagine
28th August 2015, 12:06
When I was a kid, I loved Smash. Tried it last year, and it is disgusting :cwm3:

never was keen on smash, but i loved the adverts :icon_lol:

Terpe
28th August 2015, 12:17

Remember the advert with those little aliens:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E&feature=player_detailpage

Terpe
28th August 2015, 12:20
Can't beat home made mash.
Cook the unpeeled potatoes in a microwave until soft then chop up and mash with some butter.
I cut them up with kitchen scissors first so the skins don't block up the masher.
The skins can be removed before mashing if you don't like them.

:hubbahubba:

grahamw48
28th August 2015, 14:22
I always cook my spuds in the microwave. Delicious and quick, if you know how to get the timing right. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When 'dehydrated potatoes'..to give them their technically correct name :Rasp:, first came on the market, I was working at the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (as was) in London, compiling various statistics...mainly for import and export of certain agricultural commodities. Those figures included production figures for the above product ('Smash' etc).

As there were so few companies involved in those early days, it was not permitted for us to reveal the 'commercially sensitive' mashed spuds figures to any 'Tom Dick or Harry' . :biggrin:

KeithD
28th August 2015, 18:47
Microwave potatoes have a different texture to boiled/fried, due to the way the starch is broken down. I prefer good old boiled or fried.

grahamw48
28th August 2015, 19:50
I haven't got a cooker now...only a microwave and a 'health grill'. They taste fine to me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
29th August 2015, 06:33
I'd always been under the impression that microwaving/steaming potato causes the lowest amount of nutrients to be lost, so was the healthy option.
Doesn't boiling a potato causes all water-soluble nutrients to leach out into the water. My grandmother used some of the water to add to the gravy.

I also like to include the skins in my mash. Apparently the skin contains more nutrients and most of the fiber content.

We have some great fresh native potatoes here in Davao City which I eat faily often.

Michael Parnham
29th August 2015, 06:41
Cook the unpeeled potatoes in a microwave until soft then chop up and mash with some butter.
I cut them up with kitchen scissors first so the skins don't block up the masher.

Never used a Microwave, always thought food would be affected by radiation, Maritess uses it for reheating and defrosting I never reheat anything and always defrost in the fridge overnight!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
29th August 2015, 06:46
Never used a Microwave, always thought food would be affected by radiation

Watch out for the carbon monoxide from gas ovens :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
29th August 2015, 06:55
Watch out for the carbon monoxide from gas ovens :biggrin:

Never had a gas oven for many years in the UK but used to enjoy making my Yorkshire Pudding in our gas cooker in Philippines, they seem to cook better using gas!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
29th August 2015, 08:51
I'd always been under the impression that microwaving/steaming potato causes the lowest amount of nutrients to be lost, so was the healthy option.
Doesn't boiling a potato causes all water-soluble nutrients to leach out into the water. My grandmother used some of the water to add to the gravy.

Boiling does see some of the nutrients released, which is why homemade soup is good for you. However, it is the heat that destroys a lot of the nutrients, as nature didn't engineer them to be cooked. :wink:

Michael Parnham
30th August 2015, 10:25
Boiling does see some of the nutrients released, which is why homemade soup is good for you. However, it is the heat that destroys a lot of the nutrients, as nature didn't engineer them to be cooked. :wink:

Good point!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
30th August 2015, 14:45
Never had a gas oven for many years in the UK but used to enjoy making my Yorkshire Pudding in our gas cooker in Philippines, they seem to cook better using gas!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree with that!! Much cheaper too.
I use a pressure cooker BTW.. Cannot beat the flavour IMO..Especially in stews etc.
Luvvvverly!

imagine
31st August 2015, 09:02
Molinera , baked beans are ok, i got at robinsons, also they have heinz soups, small cans tomato/mushroom,
next size up cans of chicken soup/vegitable/ also chicken and brocoli big soup( the chunky soup)
if you like meat spreads, i recomend brand underwood (has a pic of a red devil on paper wrapped tin, roast beef spread/deviled ham/and chicken, only tried the roast beef so far, it is as good as uk meat spreads,

think a product of US.
soup 300g 117 peso,400g 121 peso, meat spread 120g 94.50 peso

forgot the price for beans lol

the chicken spread and deviled ham spread was crap:vomit-smiley-011:, tried and tested,, only the roast beef is good

Dabawenyo
6th September 2015, 06:08

Try adding chopped Chives and a little fresh ground black pepper for an olfactory orgasmic experience! (You can get Chives from the garden store located in the main carpark of SM Davao City.)

Terpe
6th September 2015, 15:47
Try adding chopped Chives and a little fresh ground black pepper for an olfactory orgasmic experience! (You can get Chives from the garden store located in the main carpark of SM Davao City.)

Thanks for the tip :xxgrinning--00xx3: