PDA

View Full Version : No thanks I've just eaten

Terpe
21st July 2015, 09:40
In terms of learning Tagalog, one of the first lessons you'll learn is "kumain ka na?" or "have you yet eaten"

The second lesson will likely be "kain tayo" or "let's eat"

One noticable cultural difference here in the Philippines is that everyone just loves to eat.
Anytime, anywhere and dare I say almost anything, then more.
In connection with that you soon learn how to eat with a fork and spoon instead of the UK's ubiquitous knife and fork. A lot of the dishes here are much easier and more enjoyable when using a spoon and fork. Or indeed, your own hands.

I know that many folks share a view that most Filipino food just doesn't rate at all when compared to European cuisine or many other Asian foods.
Personally, I think that virtually all the Filipino dishes my wife presents are just wonderful.
I'd go as far as to say heavenly.

Most of the foods I get invited to eat when away from home is also pretty good.
However, I'll not disagree that some foods do not 'cut the mustard' at all, but that's usually down to poor preparation, poor presentation and poor quality ingredients.

My idea of heaven is anything from the sea, any kind of Adobo, any kind of Sinigang and any kind of Kinilaw.
I think we all know very well the traditional party centre-piece of Lechon. Pig-on-a-stick, carefully seasoned and spit-roasted until golden, crispy, meltingly tender and succulent.

I'm not talking about the fatty, stringy overcooked meat wrapped up in a leather coat that we've all surely experienced at one time. I'm talking about the real deal.

Apart from Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, I've worked out that there's also "merienda".
Strictly speaking it's meant to be a very light meal or selection of light foods that can get served between breakfast and lunch or more commonly between lunch and dinner.
It's not brunch which is usually a single meal composed of a late breakfast combined with an early lunch.
No, merienda is an additional light meal.

Finally you have snacks. I've not yet finally gotten up to speed with "Snacks" Philippine style. It seems to depend on both appetite and 'pocket'. Snacks can be as simple as Sky Flakes or actually approaching another form of merienda.

Fruits are eaten anytime day or night.

Whichever way look at it, you're never too far from putting food in your mouth.
That's something I need to be careful about. Not just for the sake of my health but also to be sure my weight and waist doesn't increase.
I very often find myself saying "thanks but no thanks, I've only just eaten."

Terpe
21st July 2015, 11:00
I don't really have a sweet-tooth. Unlike most Filipino's

I constantly seek out foods that are not sweet. Especially those that really should not be.
I'm lucky to have found a decent bakery where I can find not only bread products with no sweetness at all but I can buy French Baguettes that taste authentic. Either plain or wholemeal.

Also European style doughnuts with or without custard filling

It's also troublesome trying to find readymade spaghetti/pasta sauce that's not sweet. They only seem to be Sweet, Extra-Sweet or Filipina Recipe.

Although I'm not captivated by the purple ice cream made from Ube, I really do find the Chow King Halo-Halo topped with it to be almost irresistible

grahamw48
21st July 2015, 11:47
I love anything coconutty. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sadly, seafood I just can't stomach. What a waste. :anerikke:

raynaputi
21st July 2015, 16:40
When I showed photos of our holiday in the Philippines to my in-laws when we got back (that was 2 years ago and I really need to go for a holiday again!), my mum-in-law kept on saying "It seems like all you did was go out and eat"..hahahaha. :icon_lol: I think she can't grasp that part of our culture that meeting up with someone any time of the day would involve plenty of eating! I was actually a lot "fatter" (not that I'm fat anyway) when I was still living in the Philippines! :biggrin:

mendoza82
21st July 2015, 16:59
Why you keep eating?��that's what my husband told me when we were in the Philippines!����

grahamw48
21st July 2015, 17:01
The Filipinas I've known/seen really seem to pile on the weight after they come to the UK. :cwm25:

les_taxi
21st July 2015, 18:43
Yes very true Graham but I like a few extra pounds :biggrin:

raynaputi
21st July 2015, 19:05
The Filipinas I've known/seen really seem to pile on the weight after they come to the UK. :cwm25:

I was a size 12 when I got here in the UK, I'm now size 10. :biggrin: