PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to move?

stevewool
11th July 2015, 14:29
You read about people being robbed and even being murdered and yes it happens all over the world, but is it still safe to think the Phils is still the place i would like to be?

I am not into looking for trouble and i hope trouble never finds me either.

If we ever get to the Phils i would like to live a normal life going about my daily chores and just enjoying what i think i would do, going from place to place and wondering if i would like to stay in some places for longer then say a few days.

Our main base will be Marikina the family home so i think that is as safe as it could be, but also like i have said i want to see and explore other places too, whether we do that by our own car or with others who knows, i am not into going where people say dont go, and if i feel danger i would run a mile too.

Like i have said is the Phils a safe place to be?

Michael Parnham
11th July 2015, 16:03
Well, it's like this Steve, I've never experienced any crime or violence in the UK or Philippines! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
11th July 2015, 17:00
You are indeed a lucky person Michael

Michael Parnham
12th July 2015, 07:10
You are indeed a lucky person Michael

I think the main reason has been because I don't really go out in the evenings, if I ever do it's to visit someone or a gathering of some sort, never been one for crowded places like for instance Football games. I always find plenty of things to do at home, yesterday I spent 5 hours in the garden sifting all the visible soil of stones and using the pebbles in the pond, I must admit it looks perfect. I just love doing things around the house and enjoying home. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
12th July 2015, 12:33
Well if our partners didn't come from there, would we ever consider for retirement a place with high poverty, crazy crime levels in some cities, awful food (sorry but be honest - it is), corruption, regular typhoons, an insurgency to the south, bloody awful health facilities and where you stand out a mile, in a place where "white" foreigners are thought of as rich, or in some cities rich sex tourists........with potential attention and targetting possible?

I dare say that's upset some sensibilities, but please prove me wrong.

Tawi2
12th July 2015, 12:57
Well if our partners didn't come from there, would we ever consider for retirement a place with high poverty, crazy crime levels in some cities, awful food (sorry but be honest - it is), corruption, regular typhoons, an insurgency to the south, bloody awful health facilities and where you stand out a mile, in a place where "white" foreigners are thought of as rich, or in some cities rich sex tourists........with potential attention and targetting possible?

Word :wink: and your right.

stevewool
12th July 2015, 13:00

Indeed you may be right, but in my eyes its better then being here once i come to retire, but there are other places that are attractive to me

Ako Si Jamie
12th July 2015, 13:22

I dare say that's upset some sensibilities, but please prove me wrong.Can't be any worse than living in Africa, Central America or a country like Brazil - and the food isn't that bad. Many foreigners deem our food as poor.

Ako Si Jamie
12th July 2015, 13:44
Top 30 countries with the worst murder rate. Thailand is there but no Philippines.

https://i1.wp.com/www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MURDER.RATES.WORLD.PNG

fred
12th July 2015, 15:04
Surprised me this list..
UK and USA 3rd and fourth worst countries!
http://www.wonderslist.com/top-10-countries-with-maximum-rape-crimes/

Terpe
12th July 2015, 15:47
?....I dare say that's upset some sensibilities, but please prove me wrong.

Hasn't upset me in any way.
I live in the south, Davao City. According to a number of reports/surveys it's the 4th safest city in the world. If that's an accurate assessment or not I don't know.
Certainly feels safer than most large towns / cities in England that I've been to.

Health facilities here are very good IMO
I don't believe that "bloody awful" is anywhere near the appropriate description. My experience of the UK healthcare I experienced with my family and my parents did meet the "bloody awful" level. Perhaps we were unlucky.
Perhaps you were unlucky in the Philippines if indeed you actually experienced any.

Can't argue against the tropical weather issues. Especially if you decide upon living in a typhoon belt.
We don't have them here so it comes down to the choice of location really.
Bit like those flood plains in UK

One thing I do take a big issue with is the awful food.
My wife is an excellent cook. She owned and cooked in her own restaurant when we lived in Japan. She cooks wonderful dishes each and every day. To be honest we live like kings when it comes to daily food.
I'm not sure whether you're directing you comments at home cooked food or at food you've paid for in an eatery or restaurant.
I do agree that many of the so called traditional dishes here are really not the sort of stuff that would appeal to most westerners. Especially when prepared by folks who really don't understand how to cook and present.

I can't prove any of this. Don't know how to.
Like you I'm just giving a personal opinion.
My own experience is obviously very different to yours, but nonetheless surely has the same validity.

Most of the people in the countries I have visited think English food is awful just like the English weather.
It's a funny old world.

Sorry to disagree with most of the things you said.

No offence intended just giving my view.

The world can offer a retirement life to suit all. Comes down to choice.
We seriously considered Ecuador at one time.
In all honesty I always knew I'd not be living my final years in UK. I actually never considered the Philippines. It only seemed to figure on my list when I got married to my wife.

It wasn't my first choice, but I've no regrets.
Life is good
As a foodie I couldn't be happier. Especially with the variety of seafoods available at very low cost.
As an adventurer I couldn't be happier.
Diversity is the spice of life.

I hope you find the same fulfilment in your retirement :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
12th July 2015, 15:50

Couldn't have said it better, filthy also! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
12th July 2015, 17:30
Maybe the Aussies were on to something.:biggrin:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Xyo0Jz5mjU/S7Ko4Fm0DrI/AAAAAAAAAAM/mMaAYAOOqaU/s200/whinging-poms.crop.jpg

stevewool
12th July 2015, 17:32
So us folk whos partners are from the Philippines and live here and life is good, then they, ie your wife girlfriend says i want to go back to the Philippines to live forever, what would you say, bye bye, see ya later, the divorce will follow you later, or try to give them what they are wanting, sometimes the two-way street forms a one-way street in some views, just my thinking most probably each to there own.

stevewool
12th July 2015, 17:34
Hasn't upset me in any way.
I live in the south, Davao City. According to a number of reports/surveys it's the 4th safest city in the world. If that's an accurate assessment or not I don't know.
Certainly feels safer than most large towns / cities in England that I've been to.

Health facilities here are very good IMO
I don't believe that "bloody awful" is anywhere near the appropriate description. My experience of the UK healthcare I experienced with my family and my parents did meet the "bloody awful" level. Perhaps we were unlucky.
Perhaps you were unlucky in the Philippines if indeed you actually experienced any.

Can't argue against the tropical weather issues. Especially if you decide upon living in a typhoon belt.
We don't have them here so it comes down to the choice of location really.
Bit like those flood plains in UK

One thing I do take a big issue with is the awful food.
My wife is an excellent cook. She owned and cooked in her own restaurant when we lived in Japan. She cooks wonderful dishes each and every day. To be honest we live like kings when it comes to daily food.
I'm not sure whether you're directing you comments at home cooked food or at food you've paid for in an eatery or restaurant.
I do agree that many of the so called traditional dishes here are really not the sort of stuff that would appeal to most westerners. Especially when prepared by folks who really don't understand how to cook and present.

I can't prove any of this. Don't know how to.
Like you I'm just giving a personal opinion.
My own experience is obviously very different to yours, but nonetheless surely has the same validity.

Most of the people in the countries I have visited think English food is awful just like the English weather.
It's a funny old world.

Sorry to disagree with most of the things you said.

No offence intended just giving my view.

The world can offer a retirement life to suit all. Comes down to choice.
We seriously considered Ecuador at one time.
In all honesty I always knew I'd not be living my final years in UK. I actually never considered the Philippines. It only seemed to figure on my list when I got married to my wife.

It wasn't my first choice, but I've no regrets.
Life is good
As a foodie I couldn't be happier. Especially with the variety of seafoods available at very low cost.
As an adventurer I couldn't be happier.
Diversity is the spice of life.

I hope you find the same fulfilment in your retirement :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think like this and in my head i write it like this but when i read it , it never sounds like this , well said that man

Ako Si Jamie
12th July 2015, 17:45
So us folk whos partners are from the Philippines and live here and life is good, then they, ie your wife girlfriend says i want to go back to the Philippines to live forever , what would you say, bye bye, see ya later , the divorce will follow you later, or try to give them what they are wanting, sometimes the two way street forms a one way street in some views , just me thinking most proberly each to there own ,So who wants to live in the Phils more, Steve? You or Ems?

stevewool
12th July 2015, 17:54
Maybe the Aussies were on to something.:biggrin:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Xyo0Jz5mjU/S7Ko4Fm0DrI/AAAAAAAAAAM/mMaAYAOOqaU/s200/whinging-poms.crop.jpg

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
12th July 2015, 17:58
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for rep!! :icon_lol:

stevewool
12th July 2015, 18:01
So who wants to live in the Phils more, Steve? You or Ems?

To tell the truth Jamie its me who is pushing to live over there.
Its always been Bohol, but Ems is not keen to live there so we have to compromise, thats why we built the family home so that is our base but we can tour wherever we feel is right.
I would have gone a few years back but we have given ourselves a few more years here.
I can understand anyone wanting to come here and earn good money and staying here because of that but in the end everyone seems to want to go back to there native home sooner or later, whether in a box or walking.
Ask in a few years time who wanted it most maybe we shall have the proper answer

Ako Si Jamie
12th July 2015, 20:42
Here's another whinging pom :biggrin:

Very interesting read actually especially from the viewpoint of a fellow Brit called slpj who takes no prisoners and calls it how it is. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

https://talk.xpat.life/22772-british-expat-trying-hard-in-the-philippines/?page=1

stevewool
12th July 2015, 21:03
We are all different in what we are wanting or even think what we are wanting too, take each day/week or month as it comes, thats what I am doing here anyway

Iani
12th July 2015, 21:49
Well, as I said, prove me wrong :wink:

Regarding the two people seem to have picked up most on...

The health - well my experience has been visiting someone in what was I'm told a private hospital. The nearest I could describe the place, was a council run 60's built youth club building. I'm sure they were all efficient and qualified, but the NHS it wasn't. We really are spoilt in this country, with our local hospital being new, full of staff and state of the art........and all paid for through our taxes (ie the NHS is not free, it's worth it paid by taxes).
I also had to visit the local clinic when taken ill with food poisoning, it's just that what I saw, I'd be scared of being ill over there for anything other than minor matters.
Again, maybe we're just spoiled here. Our local doctors surgery, the last three I've been registered to have been so clean and modern.

Now the food. Well out there, we eat what we pull from the sea.......with rice. It's ok. Wife is a brill cook and won't cook stuff she knows I won't eat. Fish there too is so unbelievably cheap, this is great.
Contrast when we go out to meet Filipino friends, and I know already I'll be sat there craving an egg sandwich. It doesn't matter who is hosting, or if it's outside caterers, there will be always some fatty pork floating in some sort of watery sauce, there will be something which looks like the inside of a chicken carcase scraped out and fried up (Maybe you know what I'm describing), there will be something black and fishy I'm warned not to eat (I think it's fried up fish guts). The puddings are worse. There will be what look like cupcakes but are made from rice, taste like gloop vaguely flavoured with sugar. There will be something which looks like purple polyfiller, and something else which looks at first glance like caramel blancmange, but when tasted......no it isn't.

Last time we were in Manila, they went to a night market, and bought to eat chicken intestines on sticks. It's like bush tucker trial.
Why is the food so fatty? Everything has lumps of fat in it, which we've been told for years over here is highly unhealthy.

Now obviously there are worse places, and yes, obviously you wouldn't want to retire to Africa or probably most of Central America. Comes down to who our partners are, and yes - it's a two way street :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm not saying I wouldn't move out there, because I'd follow her wherever she wanted to go, and that really is that. I'd just have reservations.

Slightly changing the subject - only slightly - in the Philippines, except in a couple of towns people probably really wouldn't want to live in, there isn't the expat support network. Contrast this to what I know exists in Thailand, would that bother anyone? Do you really need the expat thing?

Tawi2
12th July 2015, 22:07
I am never interested in the expat network,but birds of a feather and all that,the same as pinays here seeking out their countrymen and women,thailand has a huge amount of expats,and everything works better in LOS,the food is certainly better as the popularity of thai restaurants here in the uk attests,i visit pinas often due to family and friends but without those ties there would be no return as i have visited much of the country.

fred
13th July 2015, 01:14
Well, as I said, prove me wrong :wink:

Regarding the two people seem to have picked up most on...

The health - well my experience has been visiting someone in what was I'm told a private hospital. The nearest I could describe the place, was a council run 60's built youth club building. I'm sure they were all efficient and qualified, but the NHS it wasn't. We really are spoilt in this country, with our local hospital being new, full of staff and state of the art........and all paid for through our taxes (ie the NHS is not free, it's worth it paid by taxes).
I also had to visit the local clinic when taken ill with food poisoning, it's just that what I saw, I'd be scared of being ill over there for anything other than minor matters.
Again, maybe we're just spoiled here. Our local doctors surgery, the last three I've been registered to have been so clean and modern.

Now the food. Well out there, we eat what we pull from the sea.......with rice. It's ok. Wife is a brill cook and won't cook stuff she knows I won't eat. Fish there too is so unbelievably cheap, this is great.
Contrast when we go out to meet Filipino friends, and I know already I'll be sat there craving an egg sandwich. It doesn't matter who is hosting, or if it's outside caterers, there will be always some fatty pork floating in some sort of watery sauce, there will be something which looks like the inside of a chicken carcase scraped out and fried up (Maybe you know what I'm describing), there will be something black and fishy I'm warned not to eat (I think it's fried up fish guts). The puddings are worse. There will be what look like cupcakes but are made from rice, taste like gloop vaguely flavoured with sugar. There will be something which looks like purple polyfiller, and something else which looks at first glance like caramel blancmange, but when tasted......no it isn't.

Last time we were in Manila, they went to a night market, and bought to eat chicken intestines on sticks. It's like bush tucker trial.
Why is the food so fatty? Everything has lumps of fat in it, which we've been told for years over here is highly unhealthy.

Now obviously there are worse places, and yes, obviously you wouldn't want to retire to Africa or probably most of Central America. Comes down to who our partners are, and yes - it's a two way street :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm not saying I wouldn't move out there, because I'd follow her wherever she wanted to go, and that really is that. I'd just have reservations.

Slightly changing the subject - only slightly - in the Philippines, except in a couple of towns people probably really wouldn't want to live in, there isn't the expat support network. Contrast this to what I know exists in Thailand, would that bother anyone? Do you really need the expat thing?

I can honestly say that food wise here in Bohol..We are spoiled pretty bad..I suppose its because its a touristy kind of place with many foreigner owned restaurants and 3..4..5 FANTASTIC Filipino restaurants too.
Our standard of life in regards eating is 10X what it was in the UK..
Of course we could eat to the same standard in the UK but the costs would be astronomical.
We have quite a few Italians that have come here to flee the economic situation in Italy so you might be able to imagine the quality of Italian food here.. Here`s an example of where we go to sample little Italy..
http://www.giuseppebohol.com/ If we want a Curry,we go to "Bohol Curry",run by a Brit that lived in India for many years.. Hmmmm..Great Indian Nosh.. and many many more..
If you want to try excellent Filipino food I highly recommend "Golden Cowrie" especially in Tagbilaran or ANY of these Filipino or Foreign restaurants in the review page below..
We have been in all of them and the nosh is top quality.. I cant prove it!! You try them yourself one day..
Our average restaurant bill for 2 persons in the restaurants listed is a bit less than 500.00 Peso`s..In the U.K for the same standard,I`d expect 50 Quid or more.
If I want a quick cheap lunch I use places like Pizza hut and use the "Panalo" menu..99.00 PHP.

http://www.eatingoutbohol.com/Bohol_Restaurant_Reviews/files/tag-tagbilaran.html (http://www.eatingoutbohol.com/Bohol_Restaurant_Reviews/files/57c6f09dc3205b49178c903dbb284f70-17.html)

Weather wise we have had no typhoons here above signal number 2 in the last 8 years..Perhaps that's just luck or perhaps its because our area is not in a common typhoon belt.
There was of course an earthquake here but the island I live on not one house was badly damaged or one person killed that I have heard about.
If you are really scared of natural disasters then try Palawan.. No earthquakes or typhoons..

I`ll talk about the health thing later as I`m off for my 2 egg,,2 bacon,2 sausage,mushrooms and toast and jam butty, full English and a nice cup of tea.. Cooked by a Brit Northerner here for 160.00 PHP!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Later!

London_Manila
13th July 2015, 02:20

Spot on and i blame the partners for convincing whitey to live there :wink:
Most women want to be around their mothers and family anyway
Yes its safe for them because they are pinoys but its a different story for whitey
I like the food in the Philippines but they dont tend to over salt everything

Another point to remember is natural disasters in the Philippines
They dont have resources to deal with major disasters and when that last awful super typhoon hit leyte there was numerous reports of lynch mobs going on the rampage stealing food and water from anyone who had it
It was weeks before decent supplies actually reached Leyte
The same could happen in any part of the Philippines and i would imagine things become desperate very quickly
If a major earthquake hit Manila then i would want to get out fast :cwm25:

London_Manila
13th July 2015, 02:32
To tell the truth Jamie its me who is pushing to live over there.
Its always been Bohol, but Ems is not keen to live there so we have to compromise, thats why we built the family home so that is our base but we can tour wherever we feel is right.
I would have gone a few years back but we have given ourselves a few more years here.
I can understand anyone wanting to come here and earn good money and staying here because of that but in the end everyone seems to want to go back to there native home sooner or later, whether in a box or walking.
Ask in a few years time who wanted it most maybe we shall have the proper answer

Why not just take extended holidays there ?
It always floods in Marikina

jake
13th July 2015, 05:50
Ian, although you make some valid points, I personally think living in the right location can be a deal breaker when retiring in the Philippines. For example Manila, Angeles, Dumaguete wouldn’t be on my list of places to retire. On the other hand some people enjoy these places because of the high number of expats.

Let’s put the first part of your post in perspective. Saying that we wouldn’t consider retiring there is a bit like saying the Filipinos married to British guys or gals only live in the UK because it’s their partner’s home country. Why? Let’s be honest here, the vast majority of Filipinos growing up, who dreamed of living abroad weren’t thinking of the UK. Most probably dreamt of North America.

Yes, the levels of poverty are high compared to most western countries. If you look at the world in general 80 0r 90% of the population live below what the UK deems, as poverty. At the present time we are not retired, so we try to be careful with our income, however I will try and help the less unfortunate on occasion. If at a later stage in our lives, we happen to be fortunate and have more than we need, I would happily help on a more regular basis. I know there are better long term solutions to the problems but we can only help in our own little way and hopefully teach our kids to be more proactive in the future.

Crazy crime levels again comes down to location and the way you go about your daily life. There is no doubt that the Philippines has a higher crime rate than the UK. Spending your time drinking all night at some seedy bar or chasing some young bit of skirt around probably increases your chance of something happening tenfold. I certainly don’t spend my whole life looking over my shoulders; however I am more cautious at certain times depending on my location and the nature of my business at that time.

When it comes to food I will eat just about anything, so never been a problem for me. If Filipino food is not your thing, there are plenty of non Filipino food restaurants popping up all over the country. A quick google search usually brings one up in most towns. Not sure if you can find one that serves a piece of meat and two boiled veg though. Sorry mum I couldn’t resist!

Corruption, I agree is a major problem in the Philippines. It shouldn’t really affect Steve or any other foreigner on a regular basis and at times it might work to their advantage. Just ask any home or landowner how much yearly tax they pay!

At the end of the day, I am not going to knock anyone on their choice of place to retire. If you're happy that’s all that really counts :smile:

stevewool
13th July 2015, 06:02
Why not just take extended holidays there ?
It always floods in Marikina

In the 8 years i have known Ems it has flooded once at the house, yes certain parts flood,

stevewool
13th July 2015, 06:04
End of the day its down to each of us to be where we want to be, be with we want to be and try to be happy, like i have said its a long time till i am over there or anywhere else for that matter, its good to read what others have experienced or have read , so keep it coming

jake
13th July 2015, 06:48
Spot on and i blame the partners for convincing whitey to live there :wink:

In my experience most of the foreigners where the ones who made the decision to move to the Philippines. We need one of Jamie's polls :smile:
Lets see. We have myself, Fred, Peter, Stewart and Jonjon who live full time in the Philippines and are active posters on the forum. Would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the subject?
When we moved back to the Philippines, it was a joint decision. Kind of forced on us, as the Chinese were kicking me out for not meeting their residence requirements.

Michael Parnham
13th July 2015, 07:26
Remember serious road accidents, wait hours for ambulance and no helicopters! :Erm:

jake
13th July 2015, 07:40
Couldn't have said it better, filthy also! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for the tip Michael. I will put Dumaguete on my list of places NOT to visit :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
13th July 2015, 07:54
In my experience most of the foreigners where the ones who made the decision to move to the Philippines. We need one of Jamie's polls :smile:
Lets see. We have myself, Fred, Peter, Stewart and Jonjon who live full time in the Philippines and are active posters on the forum. Would be interesting to here there thoughts on the subject?
When we moved back to the Philippines, it was a joint decision. Kind of forced on us, as the Chinese were kicking me out for not meeting there residence requirements.

To be honest, and i've posted this a few times before, my wife was not at all eager to make the move. It took me a few years to chip away at her and finally convince her to agree. It's only been since living here that she's admitted she's now happy and at peace and that it was a good decision
Don't forget she'd not lived here for 30 years so my case may not be typical.

One thing she did stipulate was not Manila and that we sell the house in Marikina.

She insisted on a safe and peaceful location. Luckily we found the almost perfect spot. Still renting and likely too for a couple more years to come I suspect.

We've never had any flooding at our place in Marikina nor any fear of flooding, but it's definitely a factor why we still didn't manage to sell it yet. We don't need to rush so we're not yet ready to begin the price lowering process.

Terpe
13th July 2015, 08:33
Nobody should expect to find even a little bit of the UK here.
This is the Philippines, totally different environment, culture, thinking and behaviour.

Philippines is a big country splintered over many islands. There's diversity here. Some is easy some is not.

Holiday visits give, at best IMO, instant impressions of Philippine life. Bit like a photograph.

Varying between the highly romantic as seen through 'rose-coloured' glasses or something to grin and endure until you can return to the UK normality

Based on my own experience I'm 100% sure it's best not to finally settle on any specific location. Especially if that location is the partners hometown.

Calm down, and take a really good objective look around. Try to get a feel for the place on an everday basis. Just how many boxes does it tick in your retirement bucket-list.

If you think that those internet bloggers are telling the whole truth, think again.

Get your information from at least two other sources in addition to your own.

Read those blogs specifically targeting locations that interest you.
Make a contact with with some of the local groups. Even Facebook can provide good info.

Most importantly talk to those folks who are actually living in the Philippines and expecially in those in locations that interest you.
Always be careful about your reasons for choosing one location above another.

As an aside, I wonder how many people actually make objective choices as to where they live in UK, as opposed to those who live in a not-such-ideal location for reasons such as employment and family etc.

I spent most of my working life outside of UK and didn't plan to ever return on a permanent basis.
I came back to UK solely to take care of my elderly parents who, at that time, were most definitely not receiving the care and attention they deserved. Means I spent those years back in my hometown, in the same small village I grew up in.
It wouldn't be fair or true to say we were unhappy. But what a change I found in the environment and in the society.

The area had serious problems with gangs, drugs and anti-social behaviour. We kept ourselves to ouselves and managed to live reasonably safely by sticking to a set of coping strategies. Not ideal but we had little choice. I only needed to call the police a handful of times. We had the usual 'garden-shed' robberies, but thankfully nothing more serious.
On one occasion we did suffer a wheelie-bin fire which could have been serious but for the quick action of the village fire brigade.

It was around 2005 when we started to seriously consider when and where to begin a new reitrement life. As I said before, Philippines did not appear on our list at that time, but here we are.

At that time we also set into motion a plan to see and experience as much as we could in UK and also in Europe.
We did and we found many places in UK that seemed so alien and unattractive as well as a few places that would have made idyllic places to retire to if only we could have afforded it.

There are many places in the UK where I would never want to live. I could never see my way to fit in and would likely be living with stress, anxiety and fear. Most of the UK cities have such areas and I'm sure many on here know some.
Some of the places we stayed in where we really felt uneasy and did not enjoy and where we could never ever see ourselves living, or even visiting again, were Glasgow, Blackpool, Nottingham, Brighton, Chatham, Croydon, Bradford, Hull and many parts of Manchester.
Actually when we travelled into Manchester on the train it looked like a battle zone and gave us a stark warning of what could be around the corner of an unknown street.

Make no mistake though, relocating to the Philippines for retirement is a huge decision. It just has to be done for the "right" reasons. If you're struggling financially to live in the UK then I doubt you can afford to live in the Philippines, find peace and be happy.

We're lucky we have choices, there are a lot of great places in the world to consider if the UK doesn't cut the mustard in your retirement years.

Keep an open mind. Your outlook, wants and needs do change as time moves onward towards retirement.

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2015, 08:47
For example Manila, Angeles, Dumaguete wouldn’t be on my list of places to retire. On the other hand some people enjoy these places because of the high number of expats.
I like Dumaguete but not because of the expats. It's my favourite city in the Phils to date. As for Angeles, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than a fleeting visit. Manila's OK for a few days but after that the chaos would be too much for my liking.

Terpe
13th July 2015, 08:49
http://i2.wp.com/snarkynomad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mark-Twain-Travel-Quote.png?resize=660%2C528

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2015, 09:12
^

So true. Too many people out there like that in the UK especially. They've lived on the same street all their lives in some backward town or village where most think the same way believing in each others bullshit and what's written in the papers. :doh

Ako Si Jamie
13th July 2015, 09:20
Some of the places we stayed in where we really felt uneasy and did not enjoy and where we could never ever see ourselves living, or even visiting again, were Glasgow, Blackpool, Nottingham, Brighton, Chatham, Croydon, Bradford, Hull and many parts of Manchester.
Can only comment on Manchester and the first four and I can see where you're coming from, although I didn't mind Nottingham.

Glasgow tops the lot in my book along with it's neighbour, a soulless concrete shithole which goes by the name of Livingston.

raynaputi
13th July 2015, 09:59
Lets see. We have myself, Fred, Peter, Stewart and Jonjon who live full time in the Philippines and are active posters on the forum. Would be interesting to here there thoughts on the subject?
When we moved back to the Philippines, it was a joint decision. Kind of forced on us, as the Chinese were kicking me out for not meeting there residence requirements.

Don't forget SteveR..he lives in the Philippines! :biggrin:

raynaputi
13th July 2015, 10:08
I would not force Keith to live in the Philippines coz I know he wants to live in Las Vegas..haha..although we are planning to buy a house in Cavite near my family because that's the place he sees acceptable for him whenever we go back home. It's near Manila where he can get whatever he needs especially with food, it's also near to a country life he has always preferred to be. As for me, I've always said that I would go back to the Philippines and would never stay here in the UK to live for the rest of my life. I told Keith if I die here first, he has to bring me back to the Philippines, ashes or my body..hahaha

Oh and about the British food, SO BLAND! :thumbsdown: Give me Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and other Asian food all the time, except Indian.

fred
13th July 2015, 11:40
To be honest, and i've posted this a few times before, my wife was not at all eager to make the move. It took me a few years to chip away at her and finally convince her to agree. It's only been since living here that she's admitted she's now happy and at peace and that it was a good decision
Don't forget she'd not lived here for 30 years so my case may not be typical.

Snap!! Only difference for us being my Mrs was in the UK 21 years.
I went to Manila for first time when I was 17 yrs old to spend time with my old man whom did business here.... That was the only reason for my visit at that time.

Michael Parnham
13th July 2015, 13:35
Wow lots of well travelled worldly people on here, I never went out of the country until I was 47 and the only food I've tried other than English is Chicken Curry! :Erm:

London_Manila
13th July 2015, 13:59
I would not force Keith to live in the Philippines coz I know he wants to live in Las Vegas..haha..although we are planning to buy a house in Cavite near my family because that's the place he sees acceptable for him whenever we go back home. It's near Manila where he can get whatever he needs especially with food, it's also near to a country life he has always preferred to be. As for me, I've always said that I would go back to the Philippines and would never stay here in the UK to live for the rest of my life. I told Keith if I die here first, he has to bring me back to the Philippines, ashes or my body..hahaha

Oh and about the British food, SO BLAND! :thumbsdown: Give me Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and other Asian food all the time, except Indian.

Indian food is tops :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I actually searched out a good Indian food place in Manila and they are not easy to find
Top floor in some mall in Ortigas was all I could find but it was worth it = delicious

What about Chow King? for me the menu is the worst I have ever seen
Monosodium glutamate by the shed load I guess = Chinese food
Nothing on that menu even looks slightly inviting

Over fried and greasy salty Chinese food diba

raynaputi
13th July 2015, 14:04
http://i2.wp.com/snarkynomad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mark-Twain-Travel-Quote.png?resize=660%2C528

^

So true. Too many people out there like that in the UK especially. They've lived on the same street all their lives in some backward town or village where most think the same way believing in each others bullshit and what's written in the papers. :doh

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
13th July 2015, 14:06
Indian food is tops :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I actually searched out a good Indian food place in Manila and they are not easy to find
Top floor in some mall in Ortigas was all i could find but it was worth it

What about Chow King for me the menu is the worst i have ever seen = nothing on that menu even looks slightly inviting

After seeing how they made or even serve their food in the hawkers in Singapore, it put me off. :thumbsdown: Also, I'm not really a big fan of curry and their spices. Although I like Malaysian curry. It's not stinky like the Indian curry.

Quite a few Indian restaurants in Makati: Indian restaurants in Makati (https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&q=indian+restaurants+makati+city&npsic=0&rflfq=1&tbm=lcl&sa=X&ei=M7ijVZG2A8KWsAH_972YDQ&ved=0CDQQjGo&biw=1366&bih=653)

Chowking is a mix of Filipino-Chinese cuisine. If you want authentic Chinese, plenty of them in Binondo, where the China town is. http://outoftownblog.com/top-10-must-visit-restaurants-binondo/

I grew up eating Chinese food, having a Chinese blood in me that's a given. We usually dine in Chinese restaurants that are not really posh but all servants and cook are Chinese. There was one tiny restaurant in Quiapo that was our usual go to place but it closed a couple of years before I went to UK. Probably because owners were already old.

Dedworth
13th July 2015, 14:10
After seeing how they made or even serve their food in the hawkers in Singapore, it put me off. :thumbsdown: Also, I'm not really a big fan of curry and their spices. Although I like Malaysian curry. It's not stinky like the Indian curry.

You've just got to look at how much attention is paid to their establishments by Environmental Health Officers. They don't bat an eyelid at employing illegals so pay scant regard to food hygiene

raynaputi
13th July 2015, 14:33
You've just got to look at how much attention is paid to their establishments by Environmental Health Officers. They don't bat an eyelid at employing illegals so pay scant regard to food hygiene

I don't generalise like you do. :NoNo: My experience in Singapore that time doesn't necessarily mean the same everywhere. It just added to the fact that I don't really like their food. The only Indian food I can eat is korma, but it's not really a preference when dining out. I'm sure there are great Indian establishments all over the world, like there would be filthy English restaurants/establishments here in the UK.

stevewool
13th July 2015, 17:17
A great response from many and hopefully great advice to,
A lot of you on here may have lived over there so you have the experience to say it how it is, others may know someone who knows someone else whos best friend knows someone who went there looking for a bit of rumpy pumpy but it did not work so he hates the place and the people too, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round they say,
I have only been on holiday so i am very new, but i do know what i want , i am not so naive to think its going to be paradise everyday , and sometimes i may think what the hell have i done too,
But i will make it out there someday
Keep them coming the good and the bad and not so ugly points of why living out there is great and not so great, but again please dont mention health over there compared to the NHS here

Arthur Little
13th July 2015, 17:35
... please dont mention health over there compared to the NHS here

:yeahthat:'s all very well, Steve ... but, for the likes of me - who is now diabetic - and getting older :olddude: ... access to FREE [at source] NHS care is vitally IMPORTANT ... alongside, of course, strong family ties.

stevewool
13th July 2015, 17:53
Indeed you are right Arthur, the NHS is very important if i am thinking of staying here, but i am not, i have thought hard about this and i understand anyone who is getting on in life or has medication to help with the day to day living may think long and hard before ever leaving this country,
Strong family ties too, but with todays tech, i see more of my kids on the internet these days, plus what a great place they can come too where ever i live,
I understand that leaving the UK is not for everyone just like living here is not for everyone,

Arthur Little
13th July 2015, 18:13
:yeahthat:'s all very well, Steve ... but, for the likes of me - who is now diabetic - and getting older :olddude: ... access to FREE [at source] NHS care is vitally IMPORTANT ... alongside, of course, strong family ties.

:icon_sorry: if what I've said above appears in any way selfish - especially with you and I BOTH being married to Filipinas - and with each of our wives' families living in the Phils ... but Myrna is in regular contact with her five brothers and their respective families in the Phils and she herself has made many new friends since coming to Perth. :smile:

stevewool
13th July 2015, 18:19
Arthur how can anyone ever say you are Selfish , this is why forums like this are great, it gives good advice to those who are seeking things,

Arthur Little
13th July 2015, 18:48
Arthur how can anyone ever say you are Selfish

Thank you my good friend for your kind compliment ... I wish you and Ems the very best of luck wherever you decide to settle. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
13th July 2015, 21:42
Ok this is a huge "aside", but don't forget, in the UK so called "Indian" food (Which is really Bangladeshi style or sometimes Pakistani) is full of a fat called ghee, a few other ridiculous ingredients which will stain clothes, and bear little relation to what people there really eat.

As an Indian friend of mine said, we'd be dead if we ate stuff like which is served in restaurants every day.

A lot of the "curries" are made for western tastes. Things like vindaloo and tindaloo which no Indian would be seen dead eating, and which are created for drunk white louts to try prove how well ard they are.

irishman12
13th July 2015, 23:13

Does your partner/wife force you to go there? If you don't like the food, can't you buy what you want and cook it yourself or do you prefer to whine?

irishman12
13th July 2015, 23:17
@ Fred - I presume you mean Palawan rarely has a typhoon as unless the reports from the last big typhoon were wrong - then Coron was hit

fred
13th July 2015, 23:33
@ Fred - I presume you mean Palawan rarely has typhoon as unless the reports from the last big typhoon were wrong - then Coron was hit

I always think of central Palawan when I mention that..Sorry.
Coron is almost as far North as Mindoro!

London_Manila
14th July 2015, 02:13
Ok this is a huge "aside", but don't forget, in the UK so called "Indian" food (Which is really Bangladeshi style or sometimes Pakistani) is full of a fat called ghee, a few other ridiculous ingredients which will stain clothes, and bear little relation to what people there really eat.

As an Indian friend of mine said, we'd be dead if we ate stuff like which is served in restaurants every day.

A lot of the "curries" are made for western tastes. Things like vindaloo and tindaloo which no Indian would be seen dead eating, and which are created for drunk white louts to try prove how well ard they are.

Very much the same as Thai food made in the UK and for good reason
Serving up proper Thai food here would be useless as most people could not eat it
With the amount of chillies most Thai's like to eat few people here could handle that heat
So for good reason most Thai food served in the UK is adapted to suit a more Western diet

London_Manila
14th July 2015, 02:18
Growing old in the Philippines with failing health is not a good position to be in :cwm25:

Terpe
14th July 2015, 06:28
Growing old in the Philippines with failing health is not a good position to be in :cwm25:

Not a good position to be in anywhere really :NoNo:

I wouldn't want to generalise but it's not such a good position to be when living in the UK either.
Likely to happen to most of us at some point.
Happened to both my parents and was the reason for us to go to UK.
My wife was a community carer then a carer in a care home.

As far as the UK goes it's better to be banged up in prison than to be cast aside by family and dumped in a care home.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant, I do feel I'm entitled to after the way my parents were treated.
They were by no means a minority case. As my wife can attest.

Thank heavens those so called 'pathways' have almost been stamped out of the NHS

As you might guess, my view on the the care of the old and vunerable in the UK, especially those with failing health, remains IMO a national disgrace.

fred
14th July 2015, 07:20
As far as the UK goes it's better to be banged up in prison than to be cast aside by family and dumped in a care home.

Agreed.
My Father had a stroke in an NHS hostpital reception after nearly an hour wait.. The stupid nurse kept calling the next in line but everybody waiting insisted they took my Father in first..
He told them he could feel a stroke coming on when he signed in because of the feeling he had in his arm.
I checked out of an NHS hospital after a major road accident where I got very bad whiplash..Neck injury.. They had be strapped down on a board for 3 hours whilst waiting for an Xray..
After the Xray I had to wait 2 more hours because the first Xray wasnt clear enough..
The agony I was in was terrible!
They said that I would need to be admitted for at least 3 days but I insisted that they let me sign myself out so that I could go home and rest..:cwm23:
If I ever had to return to the UK I think I would sign up for BUPA or some such medical service/care.

Terpe
14th July 2015, 07:37
.....If I ever had to return to the UK I think I would sign up for BUPA or some such medical service/care.

Gets frighteningly expensive as you get older.

But, in principle I'd agree.

stevewool
14th July 2015, 18:24

Here is not much better,

stevewool
14th July 2015, 18:31
I am at that age now where you hear and maybe know of people going into homes, and even go to see them too, its not very nice , maybe some think its a great place to live out there life ,
I dont want to sit in a corner waiting for someone to visit me , yes maybe i will end up that way one day but in my plans i want my carer to push me to Alona beach each day and sit and wait for me to enjoy the views and reminisce about my frolics in the sea years and years ago :biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
14th July 2015, 19:11
For Brits at home it's wining and dining.

For Brits in the Phils it's whining and dining. :icon_lol:

Iani
15th July 2015, 09:24
Does your partner/wife force you to go there? If you don't like the food, can't you buy what you want and cook it yourself or do you prefer to whine?

Forced to go? Well maybe you tell your partner to just sod off by themselves whilst you sit there, but the rest of us stick by them through good and bad.
As for "whining", well where was I doing that? Or is that just the old trick of throwing mild insults to shut up an opinion you don't like

Michael Parnham
15th July 2015, 11:36
If my wife wanted to return to Siquijor, I would go because I know we could live very well on my pension due to my previous two years of living in Philippines, but would be concerned on health issues and luckily I have none at the moment and as for the climate I would just have to put up with it. On the other hand wifey misses Philippines but has no desire to live there in the foreseeable future, she loves working in NHS! :xxgrinning--00xx3: