PDA

View Full Version : Brit Savagely Murdered in Philippines

Dedworth
5th July 2015, 11:36
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3149680/Retired-British-teacher-stabbed-death-Philippines-Brian-Bridge-69-suffered-multiple-injuries-savage-attack.html#comments-3149680

grahamw48
5th July 2015, 13:51
That's pretty shocking, but sadly, not too rare an occurence in the Phils.

I don't think I can recall any case where the Phils 'finest' cops were able to arrest and jail perpetrators of such murders of foreigners.

Tourism (referred to in that report) is very unlikely to be affected either.

As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.

Terpe
5th July 2015, 13:55
?..As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.

Anyone thinking of relocating here had better understand that for sure.

Don't be the nail that stands out :NoNo:

grahamw48
5th July 2015, 14:18
You take care too Peter. There can be a lot more going on around us than we realise :wink:

Two cultures that can seem similar, but in reality... very different 'psyches'.

Terpe
5th July 2015, 14:26
You take care too Peter. There can be a lot more going on around us than we realise :wink:

Two cultures that can seem similar, but in reality... very different 'psyches'.

Thanks Graham. I fully understand, sometimes it's hard to stay out of the frame.
I'm really pushing boundaries sometimes but find most folks are OK
Jealousy is the area to avoid, which mostly is found in cities.
I haven't found any commonality in behaviour with most people here.

Sometimes when waiting for a jeepney someone will stand right behind me despite plenty of space elsewhere. When I move around and deliberately stand close behind them they really don't like it. I'm always ready

Dedworth
5th July 2015, 16:46
be the Grey man

Arthur Little
5th July 2015, 17:43
be the Grey man

Oh well ... :anerikke: ... in that case, John Major would be alright in the event he ever felt inclined to visit the Philippines ... being, as he was - frequently portrayed as "the grey man" by ITV's Spitting Image - :biggrin: during his Premiership back in the '90s. :wink:

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2015, 17:57
When I hear about foreigners being murdered in the Philippines I like to know the reason why. It seems the deaths that have occured over the past five years since I've been associated with the country have either come from - a) An individual resisting while being mugged b) Ripping off or treading on the toes of a local c) Xenophobia d) Men who have met a Filipina that have a jealous ex boyfriend/current boyfriend lurking in the shadows.

Maybe what Peter said about people sticking out like a sore thumb can be added to that list too.

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2015, 18:00
Oh well ... :anerikke: ... in that case, John Major would be alright in the event he ever felt inclined to visit the Philippines ... being, as he was - frequently portrayed as "the grey man" by ITV's Spitting Image - :biggrin: during his Premiership back in the '90s. :wink:Major and his plate of garden peas :biggrin:

Plenty of Spitting Image episodes on YouTube :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
6th July 2015, 01:17
Many of the expat murders are committed in house..
I`ll say no more!

Michael Parnham
6th July 2015, 07:30
Many of the expat murders are committed in house..
I`ll say no more!

Sorry to ask Fred, what is the meaning of 'in house'?

fred
6th July 2015, 07:55
Michael..In the UK the old bill will usually ask some pretty uncomfortable questions to family members as they are suspects too.. Quite often,especially over here,expat deaths,murders etc were committed by someone in the house where they lived.. Sometimes it was the maid,sometimes it was the boyfriend of the maid,sometimes it was the wife and other times it was the boyfriend of the wife..
Not saying this is the case here..Just saying its a possibility..
Personally,I doubt that they will catch anybody but you never know.
I guess it depends if someone somewhere has the will and the cash to pay the police to find out what the motive was and then catch the scumbag that did it.

andy222
6th July 2015, 12:59
Owning a business there attracts attention. You could live quite comfortably out there on a pension and still put money by to make sure your wife is comfortable if anything happens. When I retire there I want to live a simple life. Like many on here I have never had any trouble over there and always got on with the locals.

Michael Parnham
6th July 2015, 12:59
I understand now Fred, it's just that I've never heard that saying before, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
6th July 2015, 14:23
As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.

Good advice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

To me keeping a low profile is not about hiding, its been more about blending in to survive and at the same time enjoy my stay.
I know from experience some Filipinos do not like conflict or losing face. Then on the other foot you have expats who will not compromise because their way and no other is correct. My advice to expats living here would be phrase your words carefully when dealing with possibly explosive situations. It may save your life!

RIP Mr Bridge.

jake
6th July 2015, 14:27
Owning a business there attracts attention. You could live quite comfortably out there on a pension and still put money by to make sure your wife is comfortable if anything happens. When I retire there I want to live a simple life. Like many on here I have never had any trouble over there and always got on with the locals.

Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and I have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.

raynaputi
6th July 2015, 15:03
Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and i have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We might visit again when we go back to the Philippines next year! I'll buy a lot of shoes..hahaha :icon_lol:

fred
6th July 2015, 15:48

Andy.. Listen to Jake.
He knows what he`s talking about and makes a lot of sense..
I`m forever complementing the people here,usually in their own language.. Whether I really mean it or not is beside the point... It makes them happy and it gives me a few + points..

raynaputi
6th July 2015, 16:08
Andy.. Listen to Jake.
He knows what he`s talking about and makes a lot of sense..
I`m forever complementing the people here,usually in their own language.. Whether I really mean it or not is beside the point... It makes them happy and it gives me a few + points..

One of the things that make Filipinos happier is hearing a foreigner speak some Tagalog (or whatever dialects). A lot of videos I've seen trending in the Philippines are foreigners speaking/singing in Tagalog or Bisaya, etc. They find it amusing that these foreigners are trying or learning to communicate in our native language, instead of just requiring the Filipinos to speak in English all the time. No wonder that a lot would always ask you "Do you know or speak any Tagalog?"

I try to teach Keith to speak some Tagalog words. His favorite words: SARAP MANOK..hahahaha..Although he often just remembers the naughty words. :icon_lol:

fred
6th July 2015, 16:28

One of the things that make Filipinos happier is hearing a foreigner speak some Tagalog (or whatever dialects). A lot of videos I've seen trending in the Philippines are foreigners speaking/singing in Tagalog or Bisaya, etc. They find it amusing that these foreigners are trying or learning to communicate in our native language, instead of just requiring the Filipinos to speak in English all the time. No wonder that a lot would always ask you "Do you know or speak any Tagalog?"

I try to teach Keith to speak some Tagalog words. His favorite words: SARAP MANOK..hahahaha..Although he often just remembers the naughty words. :icon_lol:

Its not always a good thing to learn exactly as they teach you.. This poor American guy works on a ship with a Filipino crew..He copies them parrot fashion with a fantastic accent..It seems that he copied one of his shipmates opinions about the new "Hey Joe 5" craze here right now. Filipino crew members put his efforts on youtube and he gets absolutely slated in the comment section!!
Poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ApApL6Ysc&feature=youtu.be

raynaputi
6th July 2015, 16:54
Its not always a good thing to learn exactly as they teach you.. This poor American guy works on a ship with a Filipino crew..He copies them parrot fashion with a fantastic accent..It seems that he copied one of his shipmates opinions about the new "Hey Joe 5" craze here right now. Filipino crew members put his efforts on youtube and he gets absolutely slated in the comment section!!
Poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ApApL6Ysc&feature=youtu.be

I don't speak Bisaya so I can't understand what this foreigner said. Did he say what he was saying was his Filipino shipmate's views or his? I think a lot got annoyed with the way he expressed himself in that video (and the swearing) not because he speaks fluent Bisaya. Or it's either the guy is being sarcastic and the people commenting didn't get it? :anerikke: He looks arrogant.

As with any person, if you appear arrogant, expect some backlash with the way you project yourself.

fred
6th July 2015, 17:31
I have met many Provincial Filipino`s (in the Jungle) with that arrogant proud type character after they have had a couple of bottles of Red horse..
Yes they swear a lot and probably the main reason I understand pretty much all the bad Filipino swear words!!
Its not just how well he speaks the language that rings true..Its the characteristics that come with it that shows to me that he learned extremely well , Parrot fashion from his Provincial shipmates.
If you learn to speak a language with Filipino roughnecks on a ship,in the middle of an ocean..Thats what you get.
I think he is very funny myself and yes..It was meant to be humourous IMO!!
Its a shame that most Filipino`s cant see it that way! :doh

Ako Si Jamie
6th July 2015, 23:38

I try to teach Keith to speak some Tagalog words. His favorite words: SARAP MANOK..hahahaha..Although he often just remembers the naughty words. :icon_lol: The last time I was on a dating site I added quite a few Tagalog words to my profile and talked about the Philippines but I didn't get any replies. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best tactic to attract British women. :wink:

Seriously though, I got a lot of compliments from Filipina's about what I wrote when I did this on one of the Pinay sites.

London_Manila
7th July 2015, 01:40
Surely just being a whitey is going to make you stick out like a sore thumb
A high rise condo with good 24 hour security and cctv is what is needed
Living amongst the locals in some barangy just leaves whitey exposed and vulnerable
The wifes extended family will not always be around to protect you also
Many of the murders of foreigns there are committed in ex pats own property
So spare the bit about integrating into pinoy society
Being the only whitey in the area might not be the best way forward
Dont become a sitting duck and dont live anywhere there without decent security
Ex pats who live there for a few years become complacent about their own security measures
Pinoys dont seem to realize that whitey needs much more security when living there

London_Manila
7th July 2015, 02:04
Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and I have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.

You make it sound like a cakewalk :NoNo:
When I was running an internet shop in Makati I was always looking over my shoulder
Don't think for one second that your friendly competitors won't have you blown away if you become too successful
Sorry to inform you but yes that's how business operates in the Philippines

Michael Parnham
7th July 2015, 08:58
After reading all these posts, I will now feel a little uneasy when I go to Philippines again, just won't talk to anyone!

grahamw48
7th July 2015, 13:12
I don't speak Bisaya so I can't understand what this foreigner said. Did he say what he was saying was his Filipino shipmate's views or his? I think a lot got annoyed with the way he expressed himself in that video (and the swearing) not because he speaks fluent Bisaya. Or it's either the guy is being sarcastic and the people commenting didn't get it? :anerikke: He looks arrogant.

As with any person, if you appear arrogant, expect some backlash with the way you project yourself.

It's getting harder for poriners to pick up a bit of Tagalog before visiting the Phils, now that everyone tends to write in 'textspeak' on social media sites, etc. :Erm:

jake
7th July 2015, 13:30
You make it sound like a cakewalk :NoNo:
When i was running an internet shop in Makati i was always looking over my shoulder
Don't think for one second that your friendly competitors won't have you blown away if you become too successful
Sorry to inform you but yes that's how business operates in the Philippines

Where did I say it was a cakewalk? :Hellooo:
Starting and running a successful business in any country is hard work. If it was that easy everybody would do it!
I have met a few foreigners with a huge wedge of cash, and grand ideas of doing business in the Philippines their way. Most end up going home broke and blame it on someone else. They seem to easily forget they never spent anytime actually running the business.
You seem to be an expert on business in the Philippines. Tell me exactly how long did ‘you’ run a computer shop in Makati? I’m also curious to know how long you lived here and in what areas? I respect your privacy, however giving a rough idea would suffice!

jake
7th July 2015, 13:34

We might visit again when we go back to the Philippines next year! I'll buy a lot of shoes..hahaha :icon_lol:

You are more than welcome to stay this time, however the Jacuzzi is still at the planning stage :icon_sorry: Don’t buy too much, I might become successful and have a target on my back :cwm25:

raynaputi
7th July 2015, 13:46
You are more than welcome to stay this time, however the Jacuzzi is still at the planning stage :icon_sorry: Don’t buy too much, I might become successful and have a target on my back :cwm25:

Hahahaha..If my uncle's condo would be finished by the time we arrive there, you don't have to worry about the jacuzzi! :icon_lol: My dad said that when we have our holiday, we'll all go to Liliw coz my aunts and cousins are planning to buy new shoes..so you might have lots of buyers next time. :xxgrinning--00xx3::biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2015, 13:52
Obviously not every foreigner that owns a business in the Philippines gets murdered although they are probably at a higher risk than those who don't.

Perhaps a key factor is how one interacts with the locals and the ability to diffuse a possible conflict if need be. Maybe Jake's never had a problem because his social skills are very good. Could be the Scottish charm. :wink:

I think a lot of it boils down to respect. For instance if a foreigner comes to the Phils thinking he's the lord and sees the locals as peasants he's going to make enemies because he doesn't show them any. The same could be said about those who open a business without a thought for similar businesses in the area. Muscling in on someone else's turf will cause friction, not just in the Phils, but anywhere.

raynaputi
7th July 2015, 13:56
I think a lot of it boils down to respect. For instance if a foreigner comes to the Phils thinking he's the lord and sees the locals as peasants he's going to make enemies because he doesn't show them any. The same could be said about those who open a business without a thought for similar businesses in the area. Muscling in on someone else's turf will cause friction, not just in the Phils, but anywhere.

This! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
7th July 2015, 13:57
After reading all these posts, I will now feel a little uneasy when I go to Philippines again, just won't talk to anyone!But can you sustain a month long tampo, Michael? :biggrin:

jake
7th July 2015, 14:18
Obviously not every foreigner that owns a business in the Philippines gets murdered although they are probably at a higher risk than those who don't.

Perhaps a key factor is how one interacts with the locals and the ability to diffuse a possible conflict if need be. Maybe Jake's never had a problem because his social skills are very good. Could be the Scottish charm. :wink:

Good post Jamie. My social skills are crap but i do try to respect everyone i meet whether they are rich or poor.
Anybody who owns a business local or foreigner in a poorer country is at a higher risk. You would be daft to think otherwise.

Tawi2
7th July 2015, 21:56
i met a guy years ago who was shot in pinas,but he was a bit of a oddball,prostitute pool parties in angeles and had an "Internet" biz in angeles when cam-girls were just starting :cwm25: the reports i read about him in the brit press didnt mention any of this :Erm: easiest just to blend in and dont create ripples :smile:

grahamw48
8th July 2015, 00:17
Lots of dodgy characters in Angeles. I used to live there. :icon_lol:

London_Manila
8th July 2015, 01:54

Maybe but behaving like Mr nice guy all the time is not always going to work in your favour
I would imagine many people who end up being murdered in the Philippines don't know their attackers and have never interacted with them also
I treat all people in a respectful manner and I certainly don't go looking for trouble

London_Manila
8th July 2015, 02:00
After reading all these posts, I will now feel a little uneasy when I go to Philippines again, just won't talk to anyone!

If you don't interact with the locals then you can't get into any conflict with them :wink:

London_Manila
8th July 2015, 02:03

The murder rate for whities in Pampanga is alarming :cwm25:

London_Manila
8th July 2015, 02:11
Where did I say it was a cakewalk? :Hellooo:
Starting and running a successful business in any country is hard work. If it was that easy everybody would do it!
I have met a few foreigners with a huge wedge of cash, and grand ideas of doing business in the Philippines their way. Most end up going home broke and blame it on someone else. They seem to easily forget they never spent anytime actually running the business.
You seem to be an expert on business in the Philippines. Tell me exactly how long did ‘you’ run a computer shop in Makati? I’m also curious to know how long you lived here and in what areas? I respect your privacy, however giving a rough idea would suffice!

I also had a chicken farm in Bicol as well so that makes 2 businesses I have owned there :Hellooo:

Ako Si Jamie
8th July 2015, 03:06

I've found that certain places in the Phils have a bit of a negative atmosphere to them. To an extent, Sipalay City in Negros and Puerto Galera in Mindoro, but significantly, cities in Pampanga - notably Angeles and San Fernando. I found it OK around the malls in Angeles, but once in the vicinity of Fields Avenue, I noticed I was getting eyeballed by fellow whiteys quite a bit.

jake
8th July 2015, 06:59
I also had a chicken farm in Bicol as well so that makes 2 businesses I have owned there :Hellooo:

Busy man. I am sure plenty of forum members have invested in chicken farms, piggeries, jeeps computer shops etc, over the years. Even had a few hundred quid in a piggery myself, whilst living in another country Waited and waited for the money to start rolling in but it never :bigcry:

Did you run it from your London head office?

jake
8th July 2015, 07:11
I would imagine many people who end up being murdered in the Philippines don't know their attackers and have never interacted with them also

I would say the complete opposite. In any country a large percentage of victims know their attackers. In the Philippines, I think it may be even higher. Read the post from Fred on the subject.

stevewool
8th July 2015, 07:23
WOW I am so glad I am not thinking of becoming a businessman, do you think that will give me a better chance of living longer over in the Phils?

grahamw48
8th July 2015, 08:55

I agree. Almost certainly the worst in the Phils...and have any of the murderers ever been caught ? Of course the area also has the biggest expat population, so the figures probably reflect this, but need to be on your guard, nonetheless.

London_Manila
9th July 2015, 01:58
I would say the complete opposite. In any country a large percentage of victims know their attackers. In the Philippines, I think it may be even higher. Read the post from Fred on the subject.

Most of the deaths I have read about normally involves whitey being stabbed to death in his own residence after some break in
They break in to steal things but if whitey happens to be at home then they will kill whitey without hesitation
They dont seem to take a chance when its comes to being identified at a later date so its best if whitey is dealt with

London_Manila
9th July 2015, 02:02
WOW I am so glad I am not thinking of becoming a businessman, do you think that will give me a better chance of living longer over in the Phils?

Not really as you may still be a target just because you have more money
No point in breaking into a local's house to steal a couple of cans of Red Horse when whitey down the road will have a nice laptop and mobile phone up for grabs :wink:

London_Manila
9th July 2015, 02:07
Busy man. I am sure plenty of forum members have invested in chicken farms, piggeries, jeeps computer shops etc, over the years. Even had a few hundred quid in a piggery myself, whilst living in another country Waited and waited for the money to start rolling in but it never :bigcry:

Did you run it from your London head office?

Poultry prices in the Phills makes rearing chickens unsustainable
I was living near Naga city when i had the chickens
I like to be hands on and did not trust the locals who would try and steal my chicks if i was not around
Dismissed many workers who thought it was ok to help themselves when they felt like it

stevewool
9th July 2015, 06:54
Not really as you may still be a target just because you have more money
No point in breaking into a local's house to steal a couple of cans of Red Horse when whitey down the road will have a nice laptop and mobile phone up for grabs :wink:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, have you seen my phone and laptop i have here, the laptop is switched on and i have made a cup of tea and sat down and its just about fired itself up, so over there its going to be the same items

grahamw48
9th July 2015, 08:32
Unfortunately the robbers don't know that Steve. We're all (poriners) presumed to be millionaires with houses full of treasure. :anerikke:

So, stay safe. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
9th July 2015, 13:16
It'll be interesting to know who has lived in the Philippines and had their place robbed and who hasn't. Has anyone not been robbed and just had basic security?

Maybe not all whiteys are deemed to be rich. Maybe a robber has to see the dangling carrot before committing the crime. :Erm:

grahamw48
9th July 2015, 14:04
My place in Angeles was robbed (well...looted) after the Pinatubo eruption. I was just living with a g/f at that time though...no family.

Other than that, never had any problems when living there with my family, but we did have a fantastic guard dog, and I went round the house fitting proper locks, brought over from the UK, also steel lining, door bars etc, and (fake) CCTV cams. :smile:

Tawi2
9th July 2015, 18:05
It'll be interesting to know who has lived in the Philippines and had their place robbed and who hasn't. Has anyone not been robbed and just had basic security?
:
We have full time security at the beach and my kids uncle has a decent sized arsenal and has despatched a few neer'do'wells in the past so we never had any problems,lots of petty crime outside the beach,last 2 weeks in toril a guy was stabbed in a drunken brawl and a 14 year old girl was raped :NoNo:

jonnijon
9th July 2015, 22:55
My place in Angeles was robbed (well...looted) after the Pinatubo eruption. I was just living with a g/f at that time though...no family.

Other than that, never had any problems when living there with my family, but we did have a fantastic guard dog, and I went round the house fitting proper locks, brought over from the UK, also steel lining, door bars etc, and (fake) CCTV cams. :smile:

I have real CCTV, never any problems here :icon_lol:

London_Manila
10th July 2015, 01:57
Unfortunately the robbers don't know that Steve. We're all (poriners) presumed to be millionaires with houses full of treasure. :anerikke:

So, stay safe. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Spot on :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
10th July 2015, 02:01
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, have you seen my phone and laptop i have here, the laptop is switched on and i have made a cup of tea and sat down and its just about fired itself up, so over there its going to be the same items

As Graham has already stated you are a whitey so they will presume that you must have lots of money and your home is full of the latest electrical luxury gadgets

London_Manila
10th July 2015, 02:06

Maybe not all whiteys are deemed to be rich. Maybe a robber has to see the dangling carrot before committing the crime. :Erm:

Put yourself in their position
You are about to break into someones house and steal some items
50 houses in front of you and one is owned by a whitey
Which house would you imagine holds the most treasure ?

Michael Parnham
10th July 2015, 06:12
Wow, after reading these posts about having security etc, no wouldn't want to live like that also looking over ones shoulder I would be living in fear, don't think I could go to Philippines again never mind living there. I've now been to Philippines many times and never given a thought to any of the issues mentioned on this thread, if I had come across or heard any of the things that have been talked about on here I wouldn't have thought of having anything to do with Philippines! :NoNo:

Terpe
10th July 2015, 07:03
In a recent survey Davao City was placed at the 4th safest city in the world.

Don't take too much to heart about the negatives.
The statistics don't support alarmist anecdotes at all.

Be happy and enjoy your holidays just as you always have.

Ako Si Jamie
10th July 2015, 09:40
I think it boils down to opportunism in most cases. Give someone the opportunity to rob you and they will regardless of the country you're in and it doesn't matter whether you're rich, poor, British or Filipino etc.

I remember about ten years ago I parked outside a shop here in the UK to get some cigarettes but I didn't lock my door. I was gone for 60 secs max but that was enough time for the car stereo to get swiped.

Back to the Philippines. It's a poor country and people get paid peanuts so theft is common. It's the nature of the beast. I've heard of tourists going to beaches & waterfalls and leaving their belongings unattended while they go for a dip. When they return their stuff is gone.

I was robbed myself in the Phils but that was my own stupid fault for wearing a gold chain but saying that I had been to the Phils three times previously wearing the same gold chain without any problems.

Personally I don't see the Philippines being a problem destination for tourists or expats so long as common sense is used, boats don't get rocked, and advice from others who have worn the t-shirt is taken on board.

Ako Si Jamie
10th July 2015, 21:38
Just found this interesting article. The comments at the bottom are worth a read too.

http://myphilippinelife.com/crime-against-foreigners-philippines/

stevewool
10th July 2015, 21:43
Just found this interesting article. The comments at the bottom are worth a read too.

I like reading and sometime add to that site Jamie,

London_Manila
11th July 2015, 01:09

Some good information there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th July 2015, 08:55
Excellent article. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
11th July 2015, 09:35
Interesting! :Erm: