PDA

View Full Version : Capsized ferry 38 people killed and 33 still missing

Dedworth
2nd July 2015, 13:46
At least 38 people killed and 33 still missing after ferry carrying nearly 200 people capsizes in the Philippines

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/02/12/2A2B19C700000578-3146913-image-a-40_1435837534828.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3146913/At-36-people-killed-19-missing-ferry-carrying-173-people-capsizes-Philippines.html#ixzz3ejnSpgx4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

les_taxi
2nd July 2015, 17:16
When I was there on a ferry I noticed bits of wood regularly in the water :yikes:

Michael Parnham
2nd July 2015, 18:41
When we go to Philippines we use the Delta Ferry from Dumaguete to Siquijor and return most days and the state of the ferries is terrible. Frstly, you're packed inside like sardines - no windows that open - and they are held together with 50 years of paint. They kick out black smoke like you've never seen before and any life jackets you can see (which are very few) are not packed properly and look older than the Ferry. God help anyone if something ever happens - they would have no chance - and those that work and ride on the ferries are oblivious to any danger. I always try to seat Maritess and I near the only door! :NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
2nd July 2015, 19:12
When we go to Philippines we use the Delta Ferry from Dumaguete to Siquijor and return most days and the state of the ferries is terrible. Firstly, you're packed inside like sardines - no windows that open - and they are held together with 50 years of paint. They kick out black smoke like you've never seen before and any life jackets you can see (which are very few) are not packed properly and look older than the Ferry. God help anyone if something ever happens - they would have no chance - and those that work and ride on the ferries are oblivious to any danger. I always try to seat Maritess and I near the only door! :NoNo:

Use Ocean Jet or the slow ferry to Siquijor. Both open decked.

As for this tragedy - very sad. This was a bangka too, not a proper ferry.

I've been on one of those large bangkas to Mindoro and there were quite a few passengers on board but not as many as 70. Perhaps it was overloaded. :Erm:

Michael Parnham
2nd July 2015, 19:24
The slow Ferry only travels twice each day and the Ocean Jet isn't much better than Delta. And that is only twice each day because it calls at Bohol and Cebu Jamie. We do use both on odd occasion but the Delta is every 40 minutes so more convenient, but all the ferries are risky :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
2nd July 2015, 19:57
The slow Ferry only travels twice each day and the Ocean Jet isn't much better than Delta. And that is only twice each day because it calls at Bohol and Cebu Jamie. We do use both on odd occasion but the Delta is every 40 minutes so more convenient, but all the ferries are risky :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When you think about it, The Philippines is an archipelago so maritime tragedies like this are going to be more frequent and there must be hundreds of sailings per day in the Central Philippines whether it's an actual ferry or a bangka.

Ako Si Jamie
3rd July 2015, 21:00
It does sound that it was overloaded according to fresh reports. :NoNo:

Terpe
4th July 2015, 08:11
Seems that MV Kim-Nirvana had a capacity of 173 passengers and 16 crew members.
The coast guard suspects more were aboard.

Human error is also blamed.

fred
4th July 2015, 11:22
It seems that the passengers were afraid of huge waves and all ran to one side of the boat to avoid..All at once. I suppose it just tipped over.

Terpe
4th July 2015, 11:27
I just heard mention of so many bags of cement and sacks of rice being aboard but not listed :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:25
These are the vessels that ply the route from Ormoc to Camotes. One report said it was a bangka but that's more of a ferry I reckon.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcxpvJ-tLQTkw79o4dzRtS_lfvS0cwu0OVhutZSYrvHriDTPO4Fw

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 15:10
Owner and crew charged with murder because it was done on purpose. :Erm:

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/manila-charges-crew-owners-of-sunk-ferry-with-murder-official-778111

Terpe
6th July 2015, 06:30
What a story.
My wife and I both read this.

By coincidence this guy was also interviewed on TV about his experience.
Biggest respect to him.

He's a very large guy, not an athlete, so he did extremely well. IMO

Michael Parnham
6th July 2015, 07:24
This man deserves a medal, wow what a story and such a tragic one too. Something should be done about all the Ferries in Philippines too many hazards too many deaths no one should die on such a essential form of transport, the Ferries are in terrible condition and very few meet a desired standard! :cwm23:

Ako Si Jamie
6th July 2015, 08:59
This man deserves a medal, wow what a story and such a tragic one too. Something should be done about all the Ferries in Philippines too many hazards too many deaths no one should die on such a essential form of transport, the Ferries are in terrible condition and very few meet a desired standard! :cwm23:

I think a combination of bad weather, overloading and the fact that the majority can't swim contribute a lot. The ferries in the Isle of Wight back in the eighties weren't much better.

Michael Parnham
6th July 2015, 18:33
Wow what a story, to those that lost their live's RIP.

fred
6th July 2015, 18:35
Thats a guy I can really call a HERO.. Amazing.

Dedworth
6th July 2015, 18:44
Thats a guy I can really call a HERO.. Amazing.

Seconded

Good write up Fred glad you posted it in full rather than the new rule of having to edit / precis it - the original is generally the best

Ako Si Jamie
6th July 2015, 23:14
Thanks for sharing this sad but interesting story. That guy deserves a lot of praise.

I bet the majority who had died would have survived if they could swim.

fred
7th July 2015, 01:14
American passenger blasts PCG, praises Nirvana captain

http://mobile.abs-cbnnews.com/natio...passenger-blasts-pcg-praises-nirvana-captain/ (http://mobile.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/07/06/15/american-passenger-blasts-pcg-praises-nirvana-captain/)

raynaputi
7th July 2015, 11:31
Fred,

Can you just post the links of those stories you posted above? We don't want to be penalised for duplicated posts (you know what happened to the forum in the past). We don't own the rights to those people's personal stories anyway. We have set out the rules already about that. Please edit your posts or I will delete most of it to comply to our rules.

Thanks!

raynaputi
7th July 2015, 11:33
Seconded

Good write up Fred glad you posted it in full rather than the new rule of having to edit / precis it - the original is generally the best

WE HAVE RULES HERE IN THE FORUM FOR A REASON! :ReadIt:

fred
7th July 2015, 14:43
WE HAVE RULES HERE IN THE FORUM FOR A REASON! :ReadIt:

I have permission from the author to share... Thought that would be fine.
If not just delete it all.. Links are not appropriate in this instance.

Edit:
Posts deleted.
What a shame.

raynaputi
7th July 2015, 15:03

Okay, since you have permission from the author (I hope for both posts), then that's fine. You didn't state it in your posts, hence my comment. If you can post the links it would be better though.

I know those that are from the Philippines have slow internet connection and would rather read everything in here. Unfortunately, the forum needs to adhere to legalities so redirecting to sites where you got the articles/stories will always be the best thing to do (or if you can rewrite it in your own words). We have been penalised in the past (and moderators know all about it) and if it happens again, then it'll be another problem we can't solve that quick.

Dedworth
7th July 2015, 16:00

Edit:
Posts deleted.
What a shame.

Your original piece Fred straight from the horses mouth was very informative compared with the ABS/CBN sterilized article

grahamw48
8th July 2015, 00:09
What an awful tragedy.

Please teach your children to swim everyone.....and yourselves !

I would suggest the Coastguard bear a large part of the responsibility, as they are the ones tasked with clearing such vessels for departure.

fred
8th July 2015, 02:43
Your original piece Fred straight from the horses mouth was very informative compared with the ABS/CBN sterilized article

Thanks Ded..:biggrin: