PDA

View Full Version : Your honest opinion on the Philippines

Ako Si Jamie
1st July 2015, 21:07
On a scale from 1 to 10

fred
1st July 2015, 21:19
My honest opinion of the Phils in what regard?

Ako Si Jamie
1st July 2015, 21:21
Just in general. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
2nd July 2015, 15:52
As a resident ?
Or as a tourist ?

Ako Si Jamie
3rd July 2015, 20:50
Two people went for 1 out of 10. I wonder who they were? :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd July 2015, 20:52
As a resident ?
Or as a tourist ?Do both. Add them together then half it and round it up to the closest whole number. :wink:

jake
4th July 2015, 08:39
Do both. Add them together then half it and round it up to the closest whole number. :wink:

For some folks there is huge difference between visiting, as a tourist or living here, as a resident. The usually find that out at a later date.

Is 1 the lowest or highest?

fred
4th July 2015, 11:11
For some folks there is huge difference between visiting, as a tourist or living here, as a resident. The usually find that out at a later date.

Is 1 the lowest or highest?

I assume 1 = No 1 ..The first..The best!

Michael Parnham
4th July 2015, 12:23
I assume 1 = No 1 ..The first..The best!

I thought No1 the worst, living and visiting are opposite ends of the scale to me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:00

Is 1 the lowest or highest?I understand that Jake but not everyone on here has lived in the Phils, so it was more of a general question to all. Maybe I should have defined it as visiting only.

1 is the lowest, 10 is the highest but perhaps that's confused people by number 1 being at the top.

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:10
I thought No1 the worst, living and visiting are opposite ends of the scale to me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So you didn't like living there, Michael?

jake
4th July 2015, 14:10
Oops I hit the number 1 button. Guess us chaps living in the Philippines ain't that clever!

Longweekend
4th July 2015, 14:25
I understand that Jake but not everyone on here has lived in the Phils, so it was more of a general question to all. Maybe I should have defined it as visiting only.

1 is the lowest, 10 is the highest but perhaps that's confused people by number 1 being at the top.

My answer is OK then as I put 5....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:28
:icon_lol:

Perhaps we should scrap this. It's giving out the wrong readings.

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:44
My answer is OK then as I put 5....:xxgrinning--00xx3:10/10 for Zambales on a nice day. Can't comment on what it's like to live there though.

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:45
Oops I hit the number 1 button. Guess us chaps living in the Philippines ain't that clever!Maybe 10 is the highest in the northern hemisphere and 1 is the highest in the southern hemisphere. :wink:

Longweekend
4th July 2015, 14:53
10/10 for Zambales on a nice day. Can't comment on what it's like to live there though.

We lived in Pundaquit (Zambales), a small fishing village with not too much to do other than fish and drink cold beers.....:biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
4th July 2015, 14:57
We lived in Pundaquit (Zambales), a small fishing village with not too much to do other than fish and drink cold beers.....:biggrin:Went to Pundaquit on our way to Capones Island and Anawangin Cove on last trip over. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
4th July 2015, 15:21
So you didn't like living there, Michael?

Hated it, but having said that I love to go for holidays, it's the best place in the world for a holiday :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
5th July 2015, 07:36
Two people went for 1 out of 10. I wonder who they were? :Erm:

Three people ended up going for 1 out 10. Myself and Michael have confessed, however will we ever find out if the 3rd person hates it, or loves it!

grahamw48
5th July 2015, 08:41
It wasn't me ! I think I put 7. :Erm:

I like living there. Being a 'tourist' means I have to come back here, just when I'm beginning to enjoy myself. :cwm3:

Longweekend
5th July 2015, 09:36
Went to Pundaquit on our way to Capones Island and Anawangin Cove on last trip over. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nice islands, we used to own Pundaquit Beach Resort....:biggrin:

Arthur Little
5th July 2015, 10:11
Close to the top of the tree for its people ... among the friendliest cultures on Earth, as far as I'm concerned. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2015, 11:09
Nice islands, we used to own Pundaquit Beach Resort....:biggrin: :xxgrinning--00xx3: Is that the only resort in Pundaquit? I was looking on the internet for somewhere to stay but couldn't find much so plumped for Subic Bay. Also, is that one of the beaches the surfers surf at. I know San Narciso is one of them.

Ako Si Jamie
5th July 2015, 11:12
Three people ended up going for 1 out 10. Myself and Michael have confessed, however will we ever find out if the 3rd person hates it, or loves it!I take it Jake your rating of 1 really meant 10/10? :wink:

Longweekend
5th July 2015, 12:06
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Is that the only resort in Pundaquit? I was looking on the internet for somewhere to stay but couldn't find much so plumped for Subic Bay. Also, is that one of the beaches the surfers surf at. I know San Narciso is one of them.

When we first went there we were one of only 2 resorts, ours and Capones Beach Resort, now there must be 10 x resorts but the standards are not so good. We were there last year and couldn't believe how quickly the place had developed. Yes, you can surf off Pundaquit...

scott&ligaya
12th October 2015, 06:33
I think it all depends how you want to live. If you want a retirement style lifestyle and have the pension or income to do it, Palawan is fantastic, just do not get ill lol, great hospitals but expensive and hard to get private healthcare. Education is not great even in the private schools if you have a "new" young family. We will keep our farms there and the beach lot we have purchased but I am taking the family down to New Zealand to educate our children but will almost certainly look to retire back there in 10 to 15 years providing they do not ruin the island with developments

Harry T
9th May 2016, 00:14
I have recently returned from spending 3 months in Phills, basically to find out if i could live there, i have come to the same conclusion as Michael, i love it as a Tourist, but to live their, i very much doubt it, maybe the best way is to do 6 months here and 6 months their .. :smile:

Michael Parnham
9th May 2016, 06:25
I have recently returned from spending 3 months in Phills, basically to find out if i could live there, i have come to the same conclusion as Michael, i love it as a Tourist, but to live their, i very much doubt it, maybe the best way is to do 6 months here and 6 months their .. :smile:

I'm sure you now understand my feelings ref living there, at least you tried Harry:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th May 2016, 07:59

Well done Harry, its not for everyone ,
Cannot wait to here about your stories

Ako Si Jamie
9th May 2016, 08:28
maybe the best way is to do 6 months here and 6 months their .. :smile: Yup or maybe three on, three off, three on......

grahamw48
9th May 2016, 10:14
I'm making several trips a year at the moment. Not a problem with that. Perfectly happy to live anywhere in the Phils and in any kind of accommodation. It's the long flights that I now dread... plus my grass growing tall while I'm away, risk of break-ins, etc, makes it harder to relax and enjoy the trips 100%.

Tawi2
9th May 2016, 13:27
Yup,i agree entirely with your sentiments,i lived there once,decided it wasnt for me,nowadays its fine for holidays,but the world is a huge colourfull place,getbout and explore it :smile:

Steve.r
9th May 2016, 14:07
it depends on your expectations. I have been there for over a year full time and just returned to the uk. FOr me, I have everything i need where we live. Never any problems or hassles. If you cannot adapt, don't live there.

SimonH
9th May 2016, 14:25
it depends on your expectations. I have been there for over a year full time and just returned to the uk. FOr me, I have everything i need where we live. Never any problems or hassles. If you cannot adapt, don't live there.

Presume here for a holiday Steve?

Longweekend
9th May 2016, 15:02

Same as me, great for holidays but not for living....

fred
9th May 2016, 15:11
Same as me, great for holidays but not for living....

Just shows how diverse we are as members in this forum..
Not seen the UK in almost 10 years...Might go back to see Mum next year for a month and then I`ll be happy to be gone for another 10..

Steve.r
9th May 2016, 15:21
Presume here for a holiday Steve?I live there between work Simon. First time back in the Uk for 4 years

stevewool
9th May 2016, 15:36
Yes the world is such a small place,
Like many I have only been on holiday there too and only a month at a time,
Who knows what it will be like after 1 year of living out there, but we all have to give it a go,
I too did not like Manila ,to busy and too crowded, but get outside and it turns into something more pleasing,.
Some places are dirty to my standards so you do have to take care, but that could be ananywhere you go nowadays

grahamw48
9th May 2016, 16:51
The longest I've lived there continuously is three years. I didn't want to come back, but events beyond my control (wife buggering off) meant that I had to.

Education of my children has always been a major concern too. They deserve at least what I was fortunate enough to have been given. :smile:

SimonH
9th May 2016, 17:00
Education of my children has always been a major concern too. They deserve at least what I was fortunate enough to have been given. :smile:

That in a nutshell is my first concern :smile:

grahamw48
9th May 2016, 17:06
I think it's fine to take them around the world until say, 5 or 6 years old, but then careful thought needs to be given to the quality of their education. So much is being absorbed at that stage in their lives. :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
9th May 2016, 19:12
Healthcare is a concern too. I think Peter said that we're not entitled to NHS healthcare if we leave the country for more than three months. I may be wrong though or missed something out.

stevewool
9th May 2016, 19:26
Healthcare is a concern too. I think Peter said that we're not entitled to NHS healthcare if we leave the country for more than three months. I may be wrong though or missed something out.

I think you may be right on that , but what happens if you still have a residence here and if all else fails just do what johnny foreigner does , go to the local hospital or council and say , me no understand

Michael Parnham
9th May 2016, 20:07

Two years Jamie:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
9th May 2016, 20:15

Hmm, :icon_rolleyes: I'm sure I read that somewhere too; even so ... :anerikke: ... it seems a bit harsh!

Ako Si Jamie
9th May 2016, 22:46
Two years Jamie:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Is that no healthcare if two years abroad? - or do you have to wait two years to be allowed treatment again?

grahamw48
9th May 2016, 22:59
So naturally... in such a situation one just keeps one's big gob shut and goes in to see the doc or to the hospital in the normal way. :smile:

Michael Parnham
10th May 2016, 07:34
Is that no healthcare if two years abroad? - or do you have to wait two years to be allowed treatment again?

The first Week we came to the UK from the Philippines We registered with the local Surgery also with Charles Clifford Dental Hospital Sheffield, and I told the reception at the Surgery that I had been living in the Philippines and they told me I was ok to register because I had been living abroad for less than two years, Maritess only had to show her passport and she was ok also :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
10th May 2016, 16:43
I have not even hit 50 yet and i have been over there 7 times all in. The longest i was there for was 2 months and the shortest was 2 weeks. Every time i have had to return to the UK i have wanted to stay there for longer but i have household bills to pay here so need to get back and earn more money. The wife and I got back last October and booked for this years jaunt in January. We can not get enough of it over there and plan to live out there in the future.

6 months over here and over there sounds great but i like the thought of 10 there and 2 in the UK or close to those figures. We are off over in August this year and can not wait. 90 minutes outside of Cebu City is perfect for us and i can not think of a better place i want to relax every year.

scott&ligaya
10th May 2016, 17:31
My family have been in Palawan north of the main city Puerto Princesa since 2012 with my visiting between contracts sometimes up to three months at a time.

It has been great with the kiddos very young and in the private Montessori kindergarten and yr 1 of elementary at Hope Christian (private and favoured by ex pats and better off locals) BUT now I am back here looking to secure a perm role so I can bring them back here for a broader eductation and a bigger world view.

Education is probably ok for the first year or two in elementary but a few of my mates here who have olderkids have complained and some have moved away back to Europe or other locations.

So we are selling up our main property and the small B&B we have onsite . having our farms and rubber plantation managed by a nephew and a brother of my wife (well monitored by her lol) and coming here for the next 10 to 12 years before retiring baack there.

I find living there (we have had the property since 2006 when we were based in HK) easy and very relaxing as long as you let your wife doing anything connected to officlaldom as I am sure others have said. Do not be a whinger, do not complain about all things Filipino, do find a few mates, take up scuba, or sailing or another hobby and just chill (whilst keeping the kiddos happy).

Get involved in your baranagy to an extent as having the Captain onside is useful, sponsor the village basketball tourny and the local beauty contests etc, and you are not likely to suffer any local hassles with pilfering or robbery etc.

My wife set up a mothers group at the kindergarten as she noticed it was always the maids or even minders dropping the kids, She is now well ensconced with the Mayors wife and the Chief of Police wife as there kiddos or grtamdkids go there.

Keep you your politics to yourselves and stay neutral as things change lol.... BE NICE NEIGHBOURS.... support the local orphanage etc. Non of these things cost much and you are almost guaranteed to be helped and not ripped off by local tradesmen, mechanics etc.

Health care is good but bloody expensive and finding great insurance is really difficult to keep emergency funds available ideally overseas but accessiible but if you bank locally be careful to use a national bank as rural banks can and do fail with no return of your savings. Even the majors have much lower indemnified limits so check it out.

Of course Dengue is around especially out of the municipality and you need to take preacautions especially if you have any form of auto immune condition as it can become deadly in that event ( my wife was severly ill last year and needed three platelet transfusiions and two weeks in the Adventis to even begin recovery (oh and over 300,000 pesos).

Overall I really like being in Palawan and prefer it to other regions we have visited and my wifes home area in Pangisinan but things also cost a little more and our electirc supply is not brilliant.

I am already looking forward to retiring back so that should say it all.

Michael Parnham
10th May 2016, 18:42
Interesting:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
10th May 2016, 20:30
My family have been in Palawan north of the main city Puerto Princesa since 2012 with my visiting between contracts sometimes up to three months at a time.

It has been great with the kiddos very young and in the private Montessori kindergarten and yr 1 of elementary at Hope Christian (private and favoured by ex pats and better off locals) BUT now I am back here looking to secure a perm role so I can bring them back here for a broader eductation and a bigger world view.

Education is probably ok for the first year or two in elementary but a few of my mates here who have olderkids have complained and some have moved away back to Europe or other locations.

So we are selling up our main property and the small B&B we have onsite . having our farms and rubber plantation managed by a nephew and a brother of my wife (well monitored by her lol) and coming here for the next 10 to 12 years before retiring baack there.

I find living there (we have had the property since 2006 when we were based in HK) easy and very relaxing as long as you let your wife doing anything connected to officlaldom as I am sure others have said. Do not be a whinger, do not complain about all things Filipino, do find a few mates, take up scuba, or sailing or another hobby and just chill (whilst keeping the kiddos happy).

Get involved in your baranagy to an extent as having the Captain onside is useful, sponsor the village basketball tourny and the local beauty contests etc, and you are not likely to suffer any local hassles with pilfering or robbery etc.

My wife set up a mothers group at the kindergarten as she noticed it was always the maids or even minders dropping the kids, She is now well ensconced with the Mayors wife and the Chief of Police wife as there kiddos or grtamdkids go there.

Keep you your politics to yourselves and stay neutral as things change lol.... BE NICE NEIGHBOURS.... support the local orphanage etc. Non of these things cost much and you are almost guaranteed to be helped and not ripped off by local tradesmen, mechanics etc.

Health care is good but bloody expensive and finding great insurance is really difficult to keep emergency funds available ideally overseas but accessiible but if you bank locally be careful to use a national bank as rural banks can and do fail with no return of your savings. Even the majors have much lower indemnified limits so check it out.

Of course Dengue is around especially out of the municipality and you need to take preacautions especially if you have any form of auto immune condition as it can become deadly in that event ( my wife was severly ill last year and needed three platelet transfusiions and two weeks in the Adventis to even begin recovery (oh and over 300,000 pesos).

Overall I really like being in Palawan and prefer it to other regions we have visited and my wifes home area in Pangisinan but things also cost a little more and our electirc supply is not brilliant.

I am already looking forward to retiring back so that should say it all.

A very nice read Scott, thank you

scott&ligaya
16th May 2016, 15:46
thanks for the rep points people

fred
16th May 2016, 16:13
I have not even hit 50 yet and i have been over there 7 times all in. The longest i was there for was 2 months and the shortest was 2 weeks. Every time i have had to return to the UK i have wanted to stay there for longer but i have household bills to pay here so need to get back and earn more money. The wife and I got back last October and booked for this years jaunt in January. We can not get enough of it over there and plan to live out there in the future.

6 months over here and over there sounds great but i like the thought of 10 there and 2 in the UK or close to those figures. We are off over in August this year and can not wait. 90 minutes outside of Cebu City is perfect for us and i can not think of a better place i want to relax every year.

Nothing is impossible...If thats what you want to do then just divise a long term plan..
We live here 100% happily...Nothing is impossible...Do what you have to to get what you want.